Im a guy who doesnt know alot about linux or computers at all, which distro should i choose to get started?

Im a guy who doesnt know alot about linux or computers at all, which distro should i choose to get started?

it should maybe also be able to play a few steam games :)

Other urls found in this thread:

ubuntu-mate.org/
xubuntu.org/
albinoblacksheep.com/flash/switch-to-linux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

fuck off, we're full

Ubuntu is probably your best bet. Either xubuntu or Unity will be fine for you.

lurk more

thanks you very much :)

Just use Ubuntu. It's easy as fuck to setup and has all the features you'd expect from Linux.

Once you learn how Linux works, then you can branch off to other distros or continue using Ubuntu. I use Ubuntu for a web server that serves millions of visitors a week and it runs fine.

People will be super autistic and over exaggerate things. I had one friend cry that Ubuntu wasn't a real Linux distro because it had an app store. I never used the app store, but he claimed it somehow made it not Linux.

Hopefully one day you will be as autistic as him.

fuck off we are full

Mint.

Ubuntu MATE is retardedly easy to use.

ubuntu-mate.org/

There's also Xubuntu, which is a little less fancy but works well and is extremely light on resources.

xubuntu.org/

Other honorable mentions:

Ubuntu Budgie
Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop
Elementary OS

Desktops to stay away from:
KDE
Unity
Gnome

Distros to stay away from:
Arch
Gentoo
Every BSD

>Desktops to stay away from:
>KDE
>Unity
>Gnome
Seriously? Those are the best DEs to use for newcomers. Care to elaborate on your stance?

>not knowing how to use green-text properly
S U M M E R F A G

Who are you quoting?

asphyxiate yourself

KDE is a bloated mess that lags like hell unless you have the hardware for it. Maybe some people like it but it just pisses me off because it's jack of all trades and master of none and always looked like trash no matter how I riced it. It's just bad.

Gnome is resource hungry as fuck and can eat up to 6GB of RAM idle. The application drawer/menu also lags even on my high end workstation because it's just unoptimized and shitty. The UI itself a giant waste of space with window boarders as thick as my big toe.

Then there's Unity, which is a shell on top of Gnome which is ass ugly and finds a way to break itself after a month. It's just shit duct taped over the top of older shit. And it includes all kinds of Amazon sponsored cancer built in. The only acceptable modified versions of Gnome are Budgie and MATE.

His formatting is fine. You're the summerfag.

Neo-Sup Forums doesn't use Gentoo because Gentoo is very complicated for them, it's the generation grown up on iPads and similar monkey toys.

They prefer the easiest path: Arch, Macbooks, iPhones, etc. They are just posers who write hello-worlds in C and Haskell in order to look like pros.

rolling release distros are for people without real jobs

This is some of the most pretentious hipster shit that I've read in a while. There is nothing wrong with using distros that just work out of the box and there is nothing wrong with functional programming.

Gentoo is appropriate for work if you can manage your time and can automate your tasks with shell scripts, it's very flexible and gives you the ability to fine tune a system for a workstation or server and gives a good insight into Linux for novices.

I don't use gentoo because everything compiles forever on my laptop

Really makes you wonder which one is the summerfag.

Xubuntu is configured perfectly on install.
Stay the fuck away from Debian.
Personally, I use Fedora with Cinnamon desktop.

wow that sure had a lot to do with actually doing my job!

There's nothing wrong with distros which are used in production and there's nothing wrong with any programming paradigm as long as it's better suited for a task.

I was talking about the neo-Sup Forums who are mimicking pros like monkeys using their tools.

>green-text
:^|

Of course if you're work at McDonalds and not in a tech company, there's no use in Gentoo.

No it's just that I write code for a living, it's really hard to get a job autistically ricing anime desktops. The funny thing is people usually ask me if I run arch or gentoo when they see my setup because apparently you can't just get emacs and i3wm on a regular old ubuntu install :^)

KDE is German software engineering at its finest. It has 15 billion features but none of them work properly.

Gnome is American software engineering at its finest. It has no features but still manages to eat up your memory and run like crap.

Unity is British software engineering at its finest. It's just American software with a layer of shite slathered on top.

I wasn't talking about ricing, I was talking about fine tuning kernel, USE-flags, virtualisation and so forth.

there is no point in using gentoo now that grsecurity isn't publicly available anymore

sorry I don't work with autism awareness

>literally using the smiley with a carat no-
>you hear a shotgun erupt into the silent darkness outside
>the windows have been blasted in
>there are shards of glass and skull all over the walls as you see user slumped in his chair, almost all of his head blown off except for his jaw and profusely bleeding throat
>outside the window is a frog breathing heavily, eyes locked onto user's corpse with hatred, fingers clenched on the trigger, shaking with every morsel of anger in its broken soul

well this is a newcomer, who by their own admission has no clue what they are doing. So in this case usability > * right?

dumb frogposter

But MATE and Xfce are infinitely more usable than the bloatware DEs. What specific usability feature do you think is missing from them?

Arch is perfect for noobies

>bloat fud

>who by their own admission has no clue what they are doing
You don't even know what the word admission means. Fuck yourself, fag.

Well. The right choice of the task scheduler in kernel compiler can drastically increase the performance of server responses but make lower the latency of a GUI applications, didn't know this is considered autistic here. Good luck in your JavaScript.

but I am the kernel compiler

Im on the same boat, but everytime I try, something happens ™. I did try several distros before but I ended up deleting it because ofmthe reason mentioned above.

Just today I tried to install Ubuntu because I couldnt find the DVD (real) with mint and the screen started blinking and for some random reason the screen started blinking, couodnt even format, it gave me some error despite the fact that the last two times I installed Ubuntu following the exact same steps, I didnt get those errors.
Im tired of being a failure but to be fair I habe way too much bad luck. Oh and the other day I was installing Debian in raid and I get an error that said literally "???????". Feelsbadman. And then I reinstalled following a tutorial ste by step. Grub broke, I repaired but then the windows boot mansger broke. I need someone to talk about tech and stuff and discuss these things, ismthere any discord I can join? I dont have a lot of friends so that would be cool. I wont be annoyingmjut want tomshare the same space.
What do.

Good argument, I guess. Let's agree to ignore the bloat and focus on the other question: what "usability" do Gnome and KDE offer over the others?

*in kernel before the compilation, sorry

Ubuntu and Fedora are the best "easy to install and user-friendly" distros at the moment. You should choose one of them.

> it should maybe also be able to play a few steam games :)
Distro doesn't define what steam games you can play on linux. What matters is whether the game itself was ported on Linux (regardless of distro).

lol check this out linuxfag I can do it with one click

Tell that to Google and Amazon, may be they decide to move their servers on Windows 7.

>Yeah dude, compiling firefox for ten hours is worth it, the webshit will be like ten milliseconds faster!

Unless you work for Google or Amazon I really don't think this argument is very good.

That's exactly what I was talking about. The neo-Sup Forums is pathetic and incapable of doing anything cool and techy.

m8 I work with neuron machine interaction, do you think ricing a desktop or setting compiler flags impresses me?

pic related

Nice album art I guess. Shouldn't you be on Sup Forums?

GNOME isn't American, you fucking retard.

I know this might be hard to grasp, but there's a world of cool shit outside of autistically ricing your desktop OS

Literally just find any distro with a gui installer and get your hands dirty. Don't spend too much time worrying about if you're making the right choice, people on Sup Forums will bitch and argue until the cows come home and you'll spend forever stressing over which permavirgin neckbeard is more correct. You can even partition your hard drive to just install a distro on one partition and keep all your data on another, making distro-hopping a breeze.

The great thing about linux is that if you don't like something you can change it. Often times somebody's already made a change and called it a new distro

Personally I'd recommend any of the ubuntus, linux mint, or manjaro. Just pick your flavour of DE and dive in, don't think too hard, just get using and get learning. You can always change down the road

The Gnome Foundation is American.
Cosimo Cecchi, Alan Day and Shaun McCance of the Gnome Foundation Board of Directors work for Red Hat.
At least 3 out of 5 people on the Gnome design team work for Red Hat.
Basically everyone responsible for creating the atrocity that was Gnome 3 was or is a Red Hat employee.

And don't even get me started on Lennart.

I get that Miguel and Federico are Mexican - it's kind of funny to think the good versions of Gnome were the result of Mexican software engineering, actually - but today's Gnome is mostly American crap.

Oh, sorry, I forgot to insult you in addition to proving you wrong.

You're an inept flaccid cock of a person and your mother wishes she swallowed you. You've brought nothing but shame on your family and country. Your ineptitude is so staggering even Linus would be too shocked to reply to this post. I've seen some shit on this board, but trying to claim Red Hat's pet desktop, conceived by Red Hat's cancerous neckbearded "design" team and developed by Red Hat's global army of unthinking minions who fell for the free software meme, is not American? How much of a mentally deficient chimpanzee do you have to be to think that? I'm in fucking awe. Who the fuck did you even think built Gnome?

distro's are like like butt plugs, you gotta start small and work your way up. Start with Ubuntu, learn how the gui works and the file system and stuff. Then move up to doing every thing in the terminal, learn vim, install all packages using apt-get. Then, when you're confident install Manjaro, learn how arch works, learn pacman, then yaourt (You'll hate apt after you use pacman), then install i3, learn it, if you don't love it you can move back to KDE but it's worth while to learn properly.
Now, install Arch properly, from scratch. After you're an Arch master you're probably ready to move up to Gentoo. Not too sure what comes after this cause this is where I'm up to but probably Linux from scratch and then wizardchan moderator.

I probably should have mentioned fedora somewhere around the manjaro stage but it's not essential

>Manjaro is a necessary step to learning Linux
On what planet is Manjaro a good stepping stone? I used Ubuntu as a kiddie pool and installed Gentoo (in all honesty, being tricked by Sup Forums) by merely following instructions. Everything else, such as Debian, just seemed like underconfigured shit whereas at least Ubuntu had things like xrandr already configured for you.

Why are you overcomplicating this? Ubuntu? Manjaro? i3? KDE? Gentoo? Nigga what?

Here's how to become a Linux expert in two easy steps:
1. Install Debian
2. Use Debian forever.

Debian is literally the chicken meat of distributions. It tastes good. It's nutritious, it's always available, and you can ask anyone for help cooking it.
Sometimes the simplest solution is also the best, and the simplest solution is always Debian.

As in play around with it to see how glorious Arch is before you install it properly.

apt is awful, seriously just try pacman/yaourt, I assure you that you will never want to use apt ever again.

You guys seem to think that I mean use all these things for a long period of time, I meant it like sit down and do it over a long weekend or something.

>t. i have 256mb of ram please use my shitty distro

this desu

>yaourt

>just try pacman/yaourt
I spent two glorious months using Arch and yaourt. I like Arch, or at least I did before they systemd'd themselves up, and yaourt was excellent.

I've used all the major distros as daily drivers. I used SUSE back when KDE 4 was just starting to not suck. I used Fedora multiple times. I used Ubuntu and all of its derivatives: Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint, Mint KDE and a bunch more. I beta-tested Unity back when it was the Ubuntu Netbook Remix. I used Puppy for months.

But with the benefit of all that experience, I can confidently say this: Debian is the single best Linux distribution you could possibly use. It is unoffensive in every way. It works on basically anything. It has a decent package manager, it has intensive maintenance, it has corporate support from multiple sources. It has it all. There's really no reason to bother with anything else.

Using a lighter DE means you can let Chrome use more gigabytes of memory. With Xfce, you can get up to 10 tabs on an average i7/16GB setup! Just imagine the possibilities.

funny thing is that plasma uses same amount of ram
only gnome is retardedand uses 1.5 GB on idle

albinoblacksheep.com/flash/switch-to-linux

can you handle this

>KDE is a bloated mess that lags like hell unless you have the hardware for it. Maybe some people like it but it just pisses me off because it's jack of all trades and master of none and always looked like trash no matter how I riced it. It's just bad.

This might have been true over a year ago

>steam games
Play 2hou, faggot.
Also, look in the wiki.

pick one of the following:
mint
kubuntu
xubuntu
ubuntu mate

This. It truly saddens me that a distro as advanced and versatile as Gentoo is nothing but a meme for neo-Sup Forums.

>honorable mentions:
>Budgie
>Elementary OS
Is it a bait?
One is a very unpolished piece of pre-alpha desktop enviroment the other one is a retarded GNOME fork that is somehow made to be buggy/
>Desktops to stay away from:
>KDE
The best windows-like DE. It's modern and already kinda stable.
>Gnome
The most polished DE that can be easily customized through the use of extensions. It does it memory, though. Not a good match with an ancient Thinkpad.