Salix or Devuan: which is the ultimate weapon against systemd?

Salix or Devuan: which is the ultimate weapon against systemd?
Can we meme normies to move from Mint and Ubuntu to systemd free alternatives?

Other urls found in this thread:

bsdmag.org/randy_w_3/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

void linux is our best bet
its used by the same people who used to use arch because it made them feel elite

>arch
>elite

Install Gentoo

Normie's don't give a fuck about their init system

Void

Devuan is pretty comfy.

It's Debian in any practical sense except for NSA/systemd

To bad Devuan is still on Jessie. I hope Ascii won't take too long.

>Devuan is still on Jessie
Will I be able to upgrade to Devuan 9 once it's release by simply running apt-upgrade?

>feel elite

The Devuan version based on Debian 9 (Stretch) won't be called Devuan 9 but Devuan Ascii.

By the time Ascii is released you probably can. You may be able to do this right now. I read a report on the net of someone who did this and succeeded. I personally tried this on my desktop and failed hard (so remember to snapshot your rootfs).

can I install software on devuan like you install on ubuntu/debian?

Just because Arch doesn't have an automatic installer, it sifts out complete muppets who are unable to use CLI. But in general, it's a distro for schoolkids and amateurs because in production no one cares whether you can configure Wayland. The industry needs people who can configure virtual environments, network stack, deployment, optimise server performance and stability and so on.

Just like Debian, yes.

Devuan is practically Debian. I migrated my Debian Jessie desktop to Devuan Jessie without any issues.

TL;DR: no reason to use red hat debian ever again?

Interesting I'm actually considering giving it a spin here my self

This. Void is our next hope.

Maybe.

On my desktop I switched to Devuan to try it out. Because Devuan is pretty new I don't run it on my NAS yet. My NAS runs Debian Jessie with sysv as init.

If Devuan shows commitment by releasing Ascii in a reasonable time span I will probably install that on my NAS as well and that will be the end of my 12 year run with Debian.

I love Debian by NSA/systemd will not run on a system owned by me.

What should I use to escape the botnet entirely?

Devuan + OpenVPN or Slackware + VPN

How complicated is Slackware?

install Salix

Systemd still feels unstable. I’m not sure whether it’s because it actually has more problems than other software or just because people are quick to publicize its flaws, but it’s had some problems that would be really funny if they weren’t so serious. I’ve included links to the actual bug reports:

•Being unable to shutdown the system.
•Systemd-journald eating 100% CPU.
•Regular journal corruption that Lennart says is not a problem. It seems obvious that a non-transactional binary log is a terrible idea.
•Systemd not namespacing its parameters on the kernel cmdline and hanging the system. The systemd devs didn’t handle the situation well, and the thread got nasty.
•Numerous reports of systemd hanging on boot because of something in fstab that violated POLA.

For a critical piece of infrastructure, having regular bugs like this is a big problem. It renders machines unbootable and ruins people’s days. Compare this to a really well-managed project like OpenZFS. To my knowledge, no one has ever lost data as a result of a bug in ZFS. Infrastructure projects like this have to be held to a higher standard than most software because the consequences for a bug can be so severe.

Full article: bsdmag.org/randy_w_3/

CloverOS

can't you run distro like debian and others without systemd?

devuan... but devuan uses debian and debian is owned by obscure red hat pajeets.

Kinda, Debian is basically run by Red Hat these days so most of the packages in the repo's depend on systemd

void right now

when devuan with runit comes out then we will truly ascend from systemd

Arch with openrc :^)

Gentoo. OpenRC is GOAT

can you provide proof before you samefag

not same fag
It's common sense. REd Hat brag about writing almost all of the code for linux''for free''
there was a guy who made a quick review that 80% of systemd ''developers'' were red hat employees

i did not mention systemd, why are you sperging about it.

can you provide any proof at all about debian being run by red hat. this time try not to mention systemd

>i did not mention systemd
red hat writes systemd, kernel and linux software.
Debian uses the changes Red hat make in the software and in linux in general. Systemd was adopted by debian because their contributors are also the same people who wrote/promoted systemd

Do the math radical centrist faggot

>that tripcode

Arch don't work well with openrc
Better install slackware, gentoo or devuan.

systemd count: 3
do you get paid per systemd

wat tripcode

gent2
void
devuen

Crux

guess I'll post itt

I've been thinking about making a Linux distro for a short while now. A debian based distro has been done by everyone and their mother, anf I don't really want to make a "just another shitty debian derivative". I looked at OpenSUSE's creater studio and while it looked like it would probably be the easiest, it seems neglected. So I'm considering something slackware-based, but not directly because I'd like to take advantage of of other slackware-based distros compiling for multiple systems and save myself some work.

what I'm looking for is something
>stable
>with support for a lot of hardware already
>not too prohibitive for me to strip bundled software out of
>something that gets out of the way on updates the same way that slackware is said to. I'd like to have my say before letting the like 2 people who might use my shitty distro update but other than that it shouldn't be too much maintenance on my side
>low bloat

been on gentoo for three years, so I know some stuff
I looked at Salix, Slackel, Vector, and Zenwalk. I don't know what's best for me really and I don't have much experience with anything slackware based, although I gave slackware itself a try

also general question. how hard is it to compile a package to work well on many systems? with the scale of supported systems being the same scale as like the average distro? I'm not really looking for the speed advantages of compiling from source like gentoo is memed about, just something stable and cross platform to make a binary from, without messing with appimage snakeware

tldr making a distro, want to use something slackware-based but not directly cuz too lazy. maybe salix-based?