/retro/

Retro thread - Goodbye to MS Paint edition.

Other urls found in this thread:

totallysafe.website/#/room/#retrocomputing:matrix.heldscal.la
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>dat dithering doe
High-colour remake when?

The creators update gave me 3d paint.
I didn't even ask for it.

My old Pentium II laptop has XP installed on it atm. It's had a lot of OSes but I'm going back to 98 for DOS game support. Web browsing is pointless because few browsers work without SSE2. K-Meleon works ok, but because of the Gecko rendering engine the user agent comes up as old Mozilla and most websites throw a fit. The WiFi card installs on 98 with drivers, but has no WPA2 support. WPA-PSK version 1 doesn't work with my router. XP's built in wireless support bypasses this problem.

>Web browsing is pointless because few browsers work without SSE2.
Aren't there pretty up to date Firefox or Opera versions that still render fine?

speaking of retro, Irfanview supports photoshop plugins. I used to run deep paint as a plugin in irfanview. and photoshop 6.
Back when googling "index of/ photoshop filetype:iso inurl:edu would find you page after page of legit photoshop isos with activation keys sitting on university file servers.
Pretty sure the statute of limitations has run out on that, now.
I just googled a download link for deep paint 2 tho.

10/10

I squeezed in a second SCSI hard drive into the external SCSI box I got a while ago.
It isn't meant to support two hard drives, but being they also had a revision of the same box for optical drives, they fit and it has enough power to run them without problems. Just needed to squeeze on another SCSI connector onto the ribbon.

Pic..webm related, copying a file between the two external drives. I love how the indicator came out, both drives still have an activity LED, power led is just a dimmer one behind the activity light.

I want retro things so bad. Same that it's either cheap and not working or people think something are with thousands since they're older.

>cheap and not working
Most shit is even expensive when it's listed as not working

Now you're painting in THREE DIMENSIONS!

Same. I live in fuckall nowhere so if i want it i have to get it online.

Bump'n'Dump

>dithering doe
made me think of that

Fun trivia.
Bitmap literary refers to a map of pixels.
Each pixel is a bit.

Kek

/vr/ told me you guys like PCs
Is that true?

Duh. PCs are part of the /retro/ spectrum.

I just picked up an old AT style keyboard, still brand new in the box, for a buck at my local st vinnies.

PICS!

brb I'll lube up

boots faster then my main computer

am... am I retro now Sup Forums?

The DX2-80 was actually pretty damn rare. Cool webm.

Gimme a min and ill post...

There's a newer Retro Computing community up on Matrix now. I don't know if there's been an OP template before but we're more than up for new posters and good discussion.

totallysafe.website/#/room/#retrocomputing:matrix.heldscal.la

DOS ain't that much to boot into, but the CF card does help, between the "Starting MS-DOS..." and the actual prompt, it loads several TSRs and drivers.

Thanks!
...it's just a DX-66 though clocked to 80 MHz. That was a pretty typical overclock for those chips.

>Retro Computing (IBM, Amiga, PC-98, C64...)
>Each and every old PC OK!

>says Amiga and C64
>then says only PC is ok

looks like it's made by a 19 year old weeb

so yesterday I stumbled upon an article that named this lovely woman as the author of the windows 3.0 icons (and up to 2000, since they've been left nearly unchanged). she was the icon designer at apple in the 80s.

while most people don't care much, for me this explains the aesthetics of windows 3.1 icons (even in 16 colors!) and the sudden horror of XP icons (and Vista, and 8). for high color, the 95 Plus! icons were pretty good.

I wonder what windows would have been like if she hadn't been around. prob like windows 2.0 lol

Good ol' twm.

PC in the quoted instance stands for "Personal Computer", not just the NEC series.

anyone who isn't 20 years old knows that if it isn't typed out as "personal computer" like on a C64, then PC refers to IBM-PC compatible

her portrait of steve jobs

>people are literally talking about reddit
Yeah...no.

It's spot on though.

1/2

Nice!
Take a money shot of those coloured keys!

2/2

>gay pride world wide

You are making way too much of a shorthand meant for a room description dude.

this is a place for autistic people not normies

Just for you user.

I've actually got lots of shit like this. I collect old hardware.

>Just for you user.
Thanks loveI collect old hardware.
Don't we all?

Here's another gem I picked up for $1.50, still packaged.

Experienced with it?
Any tips?

Oh, I recognize that pussy stick.

Anyone need a new motherboard?

what are all of the socketed chips owo

I got the RAMS to match!!

That's a small motherboard....

I'll take the cache chips though

L2 cache

Are you from the USA?

Going to do a build?

>That's a small motherboard...

Hey man, that's a DX-40 you're talking to!

Now all you need is a CPU socket to solder onto the board, kek
Even though the 386 DX-40 is pretty decent, great for older games, especially with that board and turbo

Yes

Eventually. I got loads of this stuff. The hard part is finding AT cases. I'm going to be moving soon. Will have a much bigger house/work area for my horde. I'll post when it happens if there's interest.

>I'll post when it happens if there's interest.
Yes please!

>Yes
Well fuck me then.

Why?

Because I wanted it but I live in yurop. Plus I'm a poorfag.

Get the smallest AT case possible for it, make a tiny build kek

Here's the updated version.

Thread needs more kots

Some more random old shit.

Very noice!

Etherlink III's are worth keeping, one of the few RJ45 cards that work in 8-bit ISA slots and with only 8086/88 instructions.

I've got a bunch of them. some even with the old BNC connectors. I can't wait til I move so I can actually organize all this shit. Right now I've just got boxes inside of boxes randomly skewn about, no rhyme or reason to any of it.

Will be fun organizing and going through all of them. Specially with cool shit like that.

>some even with the old BNC connectors.
Those with BNC connectors also have ROM sockets, originally to load BIOS netboot capabilities, but they can load any BIOS extension. Great for things like IDE or HD floppy BIOS extensions on older machines.

>OP template
pls no, /retro/ is a containment thread not a general

Lovely

Oh, I have a 486 right next to me

Does this count? ok.

I love this

>barrel battery just out of frame
It's exploded ain't it

MS should make paint open source so people can still update it.

>Let me get my fully fledged computer and turn it into a terminal because LOL RETRO xD amirite?

I set this up in 10 minutes as a joke for a screenfetch thread. I don't just use it as a terminal.

I really was hoping the floppy would have been replaced by one of the supperfloppies (LS-120 or superdisk)
I still don't like the speed or feel of optical disc.

>That joystick

Baller.

Aren't the superdisks hybrid optical anyway?
I remember one of my friends had a Compaq that enumerated its 120MB drive in BIOS as "FLOPTICAL", which became my favorite word for a while.

...we have to go back

Back in the day when the computing industry was staffed by adults.
As opposed to today.

>Using paint when there's GNU's Not UNIX Image Manipulation Program

I've seen one of those at a Salvation Army once.

That looks like a board from a VCR. for what purpose?

It's clock boy. He doesn't need a purpose, just victimization.

Jesus - it's the original macfag face!

I still have a NIB SyQuest drive somewhere.

What is /prog/? Link?