/pcbg/ - PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/BRf2cc
gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-RX560GAMING-OC-2GD
asus.com/Graphics-Cards/RX560-O2G/
amazon.com/gp/product/B01HGRMZ9I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
pcpartpicker.com/list/mDnFNN
pcpartpicker.com/list/mmBYFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/wC6xJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/d6wFNN
gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/3918vs3603
pcpartpicker.com/list/G2vCXH
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I want to get into the 240mm AIO meme even if I absolutely don't need it. It should last for 5 years right? The warranty for the one I'm eyeing is only 2 years. But then so does EK

Get a closed loop cooler if you can help it.

AIOs always have a set life span and they warranty is usually a pretty good approximation of that.

So I just bought all this : pcpartpicker.com/list/BRf2cc
Did I fuck up?
RAM is F4-3200C14D-16GVK. I'm waiting for GPU prices to drop before I buy a 1070.

That's the thing. The supposed market leader, EK, only offers a 2-year warranty for their kit. I'm sure people have been using them for longer. I'm deciding between CM MasterLiquid 240 (2y warranty) and ID Cooling Auraflow 240 (1yr)

HELP NEEDED.
Want to help sister buy a PC, but she's a pleb that can't save up. So I'm looking for a build around 400 dollars, I'm from Bulgaria. In BGN That's about 800лв

She's playing mainly Heroes of the Storm, Starcraft, WoW and Overwatch.

Need only the PC, no accessories, don't need cd player.

which one should i pick if both are the same price?
gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-RX560GAMING-OC-2GD
asus.com/Graphics-Cards/RX560-O2G/

>2 used "Like New" gtx 580 sli for 50$
>1 used gtx 960 2gb for 100$
>1 used gtx 780 3gb for 125$
Which one should i get for a low budget build? (Lower gpu price better cpu)

Looks fine. I have the 3000mhz version of that ram and run it at 2933 14-14-14-34 so you should be fine

Was thinking about doing a general use (web browsing, occasional word/pp/excel docs, and pretty light PSing and gaymen) budget build with a G4560, but should I just wait for Ryzen 3? Gonna put a 1050 ti in it of that makes a difference.

I'd guess they rate their warranty off of worse case use cases. Probably best to just go off of reviews.

GTX 960. GTX 780 is no longer optimised in their driver updates

960, the rest is just too old to work well anymore.

what hardware will you be carrying over?

any decent 32 inch 1440p 60 Hz freesync displays out there? i need a monitor asap and i think the size and resolution would suit me most for a workstation pc but i can't really find many affordable displays with these specs
the only one i could find is the hp omen 32 for 2000 pln which is like 500$ - so not the cheapest one

Fresh build, so none.

amazon.com/gp/product/B01HGRMZ9I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is this PSU a good deal? Anything I should be concerned about

I think the likely $30-40 price difference between the G4560 and R3 1200 is worth paying for. How often do you upgrade the CPU anyway? Better get an overclockable 4c/4t chip if it's up to me

i didn't even know gigabyte makes psus

Is there any reason to avoid semi-modular?

Me neither, the only review on Amazon is from today but I saw an unboxing from last year.

>video called "$500 gaming PC!"
>it's like over $700

WHY THE FUCK IS IT LEVELING OUT
IT'S SUPPOSED TO CRASH AND BURN

It's been oddly stable for the past couple of days. Weird.

Is this GPU sagging? If so, what do I do about it?

How old is the video?

Hey poorfags this budget

halp

pcpartpicker.com/list/mDnFNN

What are the best reasonably priced HDDs at the moment?

>pcpartpicker.com/list/mDnFNN
Anything with RyzenMeme?

The cheapest Ryzen processor, the Ryzen 3 1200, launches in a few days and blows your budget because it's $110

WD Blue for 1tb, Seagate or Toshiba for 2 or 3. HGST/Hitachi refurbs have the best price/gb if you want to try your luck.

Hey /pcbg/, I'm having trouble deciding on a motherboard.

I want to OC my R7 1700 as high as I possibly can on air, so I'm assuming 3.8GHz or w/e will be my limit. To do this, I'll be using the NHD15.

I've heard that the ASRock Taichi is basically the best when it comes to overclocking on AM4 due to it's VRM layout. If I step down to the ASRock X370 Killer will I be fucking myself over massively?

pcpartpicker.com/list/mmBYFd
Is this good? I can't spend more than I already am really.

why is there such a price gap between rizen 5 1600 and better rizen 5s?

>finally get money to build a PC
>ethereum miners shoot up the price of video cards
E T E R N A L R I C H F A G

The only Ryzen 5 better than the 1500 is the 1600X...

what's the cheapest i7 i can get without bottlenecking a gtx 1080?

>1500

>not having a 980 Ti since 2015

Really should have bought that R7 1700 when it was 350 leafs.

Ryzen is Sandy Bridge: Moar Corez Edition.

would you recommend that over a rizen 5 1600?

Absolutely not, the only i7 that could be worth over a 1600 would be a 7700k or very discounted Skylake-X

Goddamn it Joltik stop frying all of my electronics

dont make me send Volcarona after you again

Is it alright to leave a half-finished PC on a table for a day if no one touches it? Mostly worried about static shock.

Is this a solid build to last 4 years . Will upgrade ram and graphics down the line?

pcpartpicker.com/list/wC6xJV

Damn nigga, I ain't gonna steal it

kek
Seriously though, should I be worried?

I pirated Windows 10 preactivated for my OS on my new PC, and burned it to boot from a DVD and a USB flash drive

Do I still need KMSPIco or since it's preactivated, am I good to go?

is it installed in the case? just close it
if not, shove it in the case's box

dumbass here
which one is the fastest

The room is closed off and no one goes in there anyway. I'm pretty sure I'm just paranoid.

No. Games in future are going to be more core demanding and 4k and 240hz are going to be the norm in 2 years.
If you could extend your budget i would advise to get a r5 1600 or the r7 1700 and a golden certified psu with a good gpu it would last you at least for four years

>4k and 240Hz
I wish

Not together. Like 1440p 240hz and 4k 60hz are going to be considered mid range

>4k and 240hz are going to be the norm in 2 years

Even $1000 CPUs paired to SLI Titan X running at 1080p can barely push super-optimized FPS games TO 200fps, let alone even trying that at 4k.

>She's playing mainly Heroes of the Storm, Starcraft, WoW and Overwatch.

lemme in that sister

So, R9 280X getting to 83C with fans kicking automatically at 50% after half an hour of playing doom. I'm not used to playing videogames with this shit but it's also a 4 year old GPU so I suppose I can't ask for much.

Should I worry about it or keep going until the card dies a painful death?

What's a good 1060/1050 I could grab if I was concerned about things like noise or heat? I doubt it's a good idea to grab an aftermarket cooler for this.

ac

I think AC.

why is our graphics card and CPUs such shit at gayman

3 options say ac...

my g400s is starting to shit itself after years and I'll need to replace it soon. What are the decent claw grip mice around the same price point these days?

More like why are so few AAA games taking advantage of multiple cores if even budget CPUs these days are quad cores or better

*kisses your forehead*

I don't understand your language.

That's not a question

The MSI Gaming X, EVGA dual fan models, and ASUS ROG Strix have good thermals and quiet fans; especially the ASUS one since it's the same cooler as on their 1080.

I don't know, why don't you go ask people who make AAA games why they prefer to make games with fewer cores needed to run them optimally?

Single core performance has always been the top meme in CPUs for gaming.

Ah, gotta have to wait for a bit, it costs 400 eurobucks for now.

That's wrong user. Games have been spreading the load on 8+ threads for years now.

Then why does Intel perform better on almost every game?

jew magic

Because most games are just enough for an i5 to handle but the moment it isn't anymore with games such as GTA V, Witcher 3, BF1, Watch Dogs 2 and more: it's not anymore and said i5 shit the bed
Same goes for i3s getting beat by Ryzen 3. Technically at similar clocks the i3 should win, but the core count is too low on the i3 so the Ryzen 3 wins.

Opinions?
I have like 100 left in my budget for this thing.

pcpartpicker.com/list/d6wFNN

Also the tablet is for drawfaggery.

Do you already have a mouse and keyboard? If they're still alright, I'd suggest putting that extra money toward a 1080 Ti instead of the normal 1080: gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1080-Ti-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/3918vs3603

question. Do you plan to do any streaming whatsoever?

dont be that guy user

Nope, I try to keep my autism to myself.

it has to be asked.

Built my first PC.
Should I upgrade to a 1070 or 1080?

I'm on a 550w PSU, 8Gb 2933mhz RAM (planning to double that), R5 1600 CPU with the stock cooler, and currently a 1050Ti

and it's multiple choice

I want to lick your autism

1080 is objectively better but it costs more

If you want to step down a tier of boards, get the Asus Prime X370-Pro. It has by far the best VRM setup of the mid-range boards and uses the same TI NexFETs as the Crosshair VI and Taichi.

Is it worth upgrading from a 2GB HD7850 to a 3GB R9 280X? I've found one on Ebay for £100 but 2GB VRAM is starting to feel really cramped so I feel like I should go for at least 4GB if I buy a new card.

I dont, but I could switch out the monitor to something cheaper. Thanks.

The difference is less than 100 English muffins if I order off Newegg. There's literally GTX 1070's and RX 580's going for more than a Gigabyte 1080

wait until GPU prices stabilize and grab an RX 570 or RX 580

Any opinions on the Samsung CFG70 27" monitor? Torn between that and the Lenovo l27q

The lenovo is $260 and 2560x1440
Samsung is $315, 1920x100 and 144hz

>look at GPU temperature during idle
>31°C
>overclocked CPU at 34°C

I mean, it all really comes down to what sort of games you play. I play a lot of simulators and extremely heavy/modded games so I need all the power I can afford.

pcpartpicker.com/list/G2vCXH
is this ram going to be an issue?

Vega next week boys. Expect 1080s to be out of stock