Is it normal to find classes hard?

Is it normal to find classes hard?

I did the self-learning thing but nobody wanted to hire me so I'm back in CS classes. I'm taking a 6 week summer course which is mad condensed (by definition) and I find it a little hard to keep up. I've practically failed both labs (though I got 100% on the homework) so I'm at around 85%. Is that acceptable (class average is 55%)?

The thing is I'm used to being the literal top of my class, back when I did a degree in linguistics, which pretty much requires you to be the best of the best to ever hope to get a job in the field. Can you be an average CS student and still be successful?

Congratulations, you stopped playing on easy mode and moved up to normal. Most people at any proper university very somewhere near the top of their class so now the classes and lectures are tuned towards it.

And some places you can be a shitty CS student and still be successful. It depends a lot on your geographic location.

Imagine wasting time and money at college to learn computer programming.

yes

if your classes are easy then why are you even there

Well it's not just challenging. It's like the lectures teach us "alright this is recursion, now write a fibonacci sequence generator, a string reverser, and three other little programs in the next hour" -- and I end up getting 2 of the 5 done because nobody mentioned anything about .substring(). Or, alright here's how to write a class -- now create a poker game (which I did successfully, but it still took me over 20 hours).

Much like art, if you want to get hired, having a good portfolio is much more important than having a degree in the field.

Yes, CS is supposed to be a hard topic. Don't let meme bootcamps tell you otherwise.

who is this semen demon

Imagine being at computers

At good universities visiting the lecture is not enough to actually do the material. You should study the material before you even go there by reading fucking books and looking stuff up in advance

filename

I'm usually about that life but this class is daily and is sort of kicking my ass. Although, I am obviously doing the readings and looking things up in my free time. Half of the class dropped out so I think it might actually be pretty challenging even for CS-faggots

> Love Live!

redpill me on this anime

it's a show about some really pretty high school girls becoming talented performers and saving their high school from shutting down

and why would you watch something gay like that? watch manime, that's the most redpilled kind of anime.

mindless shounen garbage is for kids
you're literally watching japanese kids shows

I was being ironic, no I don't want anime, I'm a big boy, and to be honest they are much more suited to teenagers in highschool, that's when I used to watch it a lot, now it just makes no sense.

I spend every semester convinced I'm going to fail out, yet I get straight A's. So yeah, it's normal.

I don't get what's hard about them, but my friends do find them hard (at least some of them).

However, sounds like a programming course. What people have most problems with at my colleague are theoretical courses.

It's a mix, but mostly programming. Data structures.

>Is it normal to find classes hard?
As said in Any school should be difficult and you shouldn't be getting 90s on everything you do or else its just a waste of your time.

Do a lot of reading on your own and try your best. Also, don't be afraid to go to your teacher's office hours. They usually are happy to explain concepts one on one to you as it shows you're interested in learning and understanding.

Sometimes hard concepts take a while before they click then after that you're wondering why it took so long to understand it.

>solid B
>worried

You're fine OP. I skirted through my CS classes on a 70% and I'm doing well for myself.

Cool. Like I said, my previous college experience is a linguistics program in which getting under an A in every single course means you're retarded or lazy. And some web development courses at a local community college that were just as easy

You might be interested in Prolog. Is that still used by linguists?

As far as I know yeah, Python, Prolog, and R are most used in the field but personally I've never done any computational linguistics work outside of my own extracurricular interest.

Neat. I know Prolog's fallen out of favor with AI folks, so wasn't sure if it was still a thing in that field. It's pretty interesting. Wish I knew enough about linguistics to do something there with it. Any idea what sort of thing they would use it for?

I can't speak about prolog but the main sort of issues that are worked on are speech recognition (think Siri), word-sense disambiguation, metaphor recognition, many I can't think of now. It's a pretty sweet field (interesting enough for me to do a four year degree in it). You can check out the book Speech and Language [Recognition / Computation, can't remember] by Dan Jurafsky for more ideas.

Cool, thanks, I'll check that out.