Proprietary exam software? Why the fuck?

I just got an email from the med school I'll be attending that I'll have to use examsoft to take exams.
Of course, this fucking shit only supports Windows and macs
I only have an X220 and an HP Elitebook, running debian and arch respectively.
What the fuck do I do? I don't want to have a botnet running on my machine and I don't want to buy a fucking mac.
It seems to detect if it's running inside a VM as well...

Anyone else had to deal with this shit? It seems law schools also use it.

Other urls found in this thread:

unibia.com/unibianet/systems-networking/bypassing-virtual-machine-detection-vmware-workstation
github.com/CodeMason/aegis-voat
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

They're required to provide computers with all required software if you don't or can't install it on your own machine.

Why don't you just go to a library?

The email makes it very clear that I'm required to provide my own machine sadly.

Can I install linux on a macbook? I've only ever used one for like 10 minutes to upload a file to google drive. Hated every second of it, especially that disgustingly big trackpad.

It's required for exams that will be held in class. Meaning there's no way to do them aside from having my own machine

make a part, mane
get a w7 rip
not hard

wine or vm.

actually if you have two USB drives you don't even need that
just plug them both in and install w7 on one from the other

I understand that this is the obvious solution, but I really don't want to have windows installed on any of my machines.
And it would probably have to be the X220 (due to the better battery life), meaning I would have to overwrite the debian partition or windows wont boot. That's a giant fucking hassle.
It detects that it's in a VM. And I highly doubt that it'll work under WINE, considering that the program's job is to shut off everything and record the screen to prevent cheating (even though this doesn't prevent cheating in the slightest)
Having a USB drive sticking out would be pretty suspect no? Also a microSD would probably be too slow...

actually i kind of lied it's not that easy
but clearing a little room for a partition is

False, they'll have you do it by hand instead.

It's less of a hassle than it could be. assuming you have a backup drive, that is. a little dd and you're good to go.

I guess you could
>copy the first fifteen gigs or so of your drive onto a usb
>make a partition less than fifteen gigs on the drive and install windows on it
>when you're done dd the usb drive back on
>it's exactly how you left it
I THINK this would work, but it sounds really fucking jank. It wouldn't work if you run an SSD, either.

If you are not against a 3rd machine, get a $50 craptop or an EEEpc (for size) and smash XP on it to be used as a designated exam machine.

you could also switch the arch drive over to the X220, if you like debian more.

If I were you I would figure out a way to get around examsoft being able to detect it is in a VM. A lot of education software is designed poorly and this shit doesn't seem like an exception.

From my limited research it seems like ES is scanning the users' files for stuff that looks like VMware/virtualbox/etc. And forcing you to uninstall it before proceeding.

I would use QEMU/KVM firstly, as I think that would be the least likely to be detected. And then sandbox the VM so it is unable to access any user/programs outside the VM.

Find a way to prevent it from finding out it's in a VM.

Is this some kind of nightmare?

>disabling antivirus programs

boy i sure wonder why they would want you to do that

I wouldn't install that shit anywhere near my files.

Holy shit, I hope they get cancer

Also I'm gonna be dorming, and didn't have the cash to afford a car this semester (med school is fucking expensive in cuckland) so I'll be taking the train.
Really don't want to have to lug around 2 machines the elitebook especially is fucking massive.
Exactly.
Can macs run linux natively? If not can that parallels thing run a distro at native performance?

I can't say, but I would guess that is should be possible, macs are PCs with a different name.

Try windows on Xen with no PV, run it as a full HVM, maybe you can fool it from detective it being run as a VM.

I know this isn't what you wanted, but it seems like the best way to do this is to just buy a cheap shittop with windows on it. If the info from is correct, it won't run on VMs or pirated versions of Windows, which is what you would probably have if you tried to rig something to run on your existing machines. I don't doubt that you could hack something together and get it to run, but its stability would be questionable at best, and if this is something for med school exams, I wouldn't risk it IMO.

Cheap windows laptops are all over the market. You should be able to get one that can run this for

The best OS wins again! MacToddlers and Licucks BTFO.

you know if you get a job involving software that you are going to have to use the software your company gives you, right?

get over it nerd, that's real life

omfg how can this be legal. In germany no uni would ever do that

I found this. Not sure if still relevent but may work.

unibia.com/unibianet/systems-networking/bypassing-virtual-machine-detection-vmware-workstation

>mac
just go and buy a new 2.5" drive
shit's cheap af
you can buy a RPi and a usb adapter to net yourself a nice little fileserver

Can't you spoof the cpuid string?
I'm pretty sure that's how most software detects if it's in a VM.
Switch it to GenuineIntel or AuthenticAMD.

What software do doctors have to use on their personal computers user?
I really don't and most likely can't have two machines.
Also a cheapo shitbox will likely have trash battery life, and I really don't want to risk running out of battery on an exam...
I don't know what the outlet situation is yet as I'm gonna be a first year.

If macs can run linux natively I'll just shell out for that.
Seems like the safest bet despite being the most uncomfortable.
I'm sure I can do a lot of things. But should I put medical school on the line cause of a shitty piece of software? I'm sure any kind of tampering will ruin me, yes I won't get caught most likely; but that's not a 100% and I simply can't risk it.
Is this what being cucked feels like? fuck

Its what being retarded feels like . . .You should just give up now the defeatist attitude you hold will do you no favors in Med School. Go bang nails or sell cars or something, retard.

What the fuck is this?
What if your keyboard unpairs during an exam?
Every fucking bluetooth keyboard will do that
This is insane

and would setting the screen to HD make everything blurry as fuck if you have one of the higher end surfaces with the QHD screen?

wtf is this support page, jesus

at least run windows, mate.

Go to your school's library to take exams?

>1080p required
is this a global standard?
what the fuck

Theres no fucking way they're going through all these bullshit to prevent cheating all to let me take exams in private.
Do you have any idea how much it took to get to med school? You think I'll throw that all away because of computer issues?

What the fuck is wrong with people who make software like this? Do they not understand that not everyone is running the same OS, or even the same resolution?

And what is wrong with corporations who actually BUY INTO THIS SHIT? Why would anyone with half a mind see "YOU NEED TO HAVE WINDOWS AND 1920x1080px AND YOU CAN'T PAIR YOUR KEYBOARD AND YOU NEED TO TURN OFF YOUR ANTIVIRUS" and then decide that this is a good product worthy of investing in and making it MANDATORY to take tests all across college?!

Is this the result of women in higher up positions, or are medical people just so fucking tech-illiterate that they saw no problem with all of this?

either dual boot windows or buy a small HD to install windows. could be one of those cheap 32 or 64 GB SSDs, even.

> go to ebay
> buy a 10 dollar windows 10 key from the jeets
> burn a windows 10 disc
> install a windows 10 partition

its not hard

also dumb question because its been over a decade since I've really used windows
Say I do go with dual booting, is authenticating windows 8/10 as easy as it was during the XP/7 days or would I actually have to buy this shit?

>buy a 10 dollar windows 10 key from the jeets
Would that be a US English windows though? It's literally a fucking requirement

easy, but you could always do Also, install Windows 7. If you are at all worried about botnet, that's the least botnet version.

windows 7 is supported

i don't think keys are tied to language versions
not to mention that you can install an update to change to english, not that i would think ms is smart enough to make that "official"

No, but obviously it didn't involve critical thinking.

Here are your options:

1.)Install windows on one of your PCs
2.)Buy a throw-away PC to install windows on
3.)Develop a workaround for using ES on a VM
4.)Ask for special accomodation from your university

It doesn't seem like you are willing or able to do the first three so that leaves the 4th option.

It also seems like you should be starting a dialogue with your school and not a nepalese post card collection forum.

I hope you never get to practice medecine you incompetant fuck.

me again

run this after installing W7. Botnet free. Only issue is that it's only updated up to 10 months ago, but there are other solutions on the web.

forgot the fucking link

github.com/CodeMason/aegis-voat

Thanks
I'll use this as my last ditch resort.
The plan is to use the X220 dock wth an HHD running windows that I would use during exam time.
Clunky, but it'll work.

I'm looking into maybe getting a mac as well if the linux support is there. If anyone could give an opinion on this that would be great.

Try xen or another bare metal hypervisor.

not worth it desu. Just buy a cheap ass hdd and your good to go

What kind of a shit university do you attend that doesn't use linux as their primary operating system?

This is exactly what i did.

Yes it will be good as a real one

but it might mean that they are pwning you so don't do anything stupid

The botnet is strong in this one.

actually, before running that script or any similar, try the software first (on a fresh windows install). It might need an update or something that will be blocked in the hosts file, and you'll be running like a headless chicken trying to solve the problem.

This is what I was worried about.
The major problem is that it seems that I need an actual test to be available to check everything out and see if it all works

Ahahahaha freetards eternally BTFO

as long as it install and it starts, it should be fine. From the support page you posted, they will troubleshoot anything that happens with the software.

Ill try it out when I get home

Also what the fuck, the macbook pro only has 2 ports and they're not even USB? What the fuck is this shit

check the requirements page

it says

>For onsite support, and in order to backup the answer files to a USB, a working USB port is required (Newer devices may require an adaptor)
>(Newer devices may require an adaptor)

>Med school
>Use arch
Come-on can you fail for this bait?
Medics are top rich Chad's. No one like this wouldose their time using arch

So if I were to get a mac I either cuck myself with a shitty screen but no dongles with the air or cuck myself with dongles and an absolute nigger tier keyboard with the pro.
nice
I literally haven't used windows (other than to print shit with school computers) in over 10 years.
My parents haven't paid a single dime in my education either.

Have you just straight up talked to your professors? I don't know if med school works differently, but I would assume its kind of the same where you have a professor or something. It's definitely worth it to ask, they might be able to give you some alternatives or something.

Non-shit companies provide a machine for you in such cases.

Windows 7 VM that you only use for that shit.

for the same reason other companies buy shit software
there´s a lack for alternatives that are better

I don't know if I wanna give that kind of impression.
These are people that I need rec letters from in the future.

With a student discount the air is under a grand. Insane but all of my laptop purchases to this point have been under $500, so I don't really feel that bad I guess.
Arch seems to install without hassle and work fine I'll stay within my linux workflow, and I won't have to gamble on pajeet's authentication scripts.

>Do they not understand that not everyone is running the same OS, or even the same resolution?
No. It's developed by people who know academic testing, not by people who know software.

>And what is wrong with corporations who actually BUY INTO THIS SHIT?
It's bought by people who know corporate sourcing, not by people who know software.

These are people who don't know what an operating system is. To them, a computer without Windows is as unimaginable as a computer without a screen.

>Do you have any idea how much it took to get to med school? You think I'll throw that all away because of computer issues?
Then just fucking install windows
>b-b-but i dun wan 2 install winblows
too bad, med school is more important, as you've clearly stated

Virtual machine, motherflower.

WIndows trial, motherflower.

Not OP but requirements say "genuine Windows copy"

Steal it, then

>I THINK this would work, but it sounds really fucking jank. It wouldn't work if you run an SSD, either.
user is retarded, it would work on an SSD, and isn't jank at all
why not just allocate a partition at the end of the drive, install windows, and have a windows entry in GRUB

windows really doesn't like not being the first boy in line.

Don't SSDs wipe shit once it's off the MBR?

I run linux mint and Windows with GRUB. No problems, at all.

Trial Windows is genuinem faggit. Using trial version is perfectly legal.

until it expires :^)

Am I supposed to be reinstalling windows before every exam?

I don't fucking know, google it

that's right, I forgot about that
it may be possible to shrink the fs, then relocate it

to his credit, there are solutions to re-arm the trial period

>moving partitions
this is dangerous and tedious shit, user
desu backing up /home and making a list of the programs you use before wiping and installing windows first is the solution I would go with

heh, back in the day when I was after my A+/Network+ certifications I used ExamGear Test software. It plus the books helped me out quite a bit. Sadly it seems all trace of it has vanished from the Net (shocking ain't it). Or least I've never been able to find it. Lucky for me I made a backup of it,

A-at least I'll get to larp as Linus, right?

>haswell
user please
at least check it against a similar X1 Carbon

so, after all the advice and alternatives that people gave you in this thread, you are going for the shittiest choice, huh?

You are a faggot among faggots, OP.

>Cannot run on a VM for who knows what retarded reason
>Disable you antivirus
>USB keyboard strictly required for another retarded reason
>1080p required
Where the fuck do you live or study? its the worst thing i ever saw

if you're really going for it, i don't think anyone's actually said about linux support
you'll have to run arch on it, for one. QoL is also relatively terrible, what with the touchpad gestures and shit.
apart from that it runs fine.

cheat prevention

> Another linux babby gets a dose of reality
Get used to it fuccboi
Nobody in the real world has time to learn how to rice their arch install

>>Cannot run on a VM for who knows what retarded reason

So he doesn't switch control to the host machine and cheat.

>>USB keyboard strictly required for another retarded reason

maybe it's easier to get what he's typing

You could try asking this guy how his crusade went.
Maybe the angry letter he sent to the human rights commission went somewhere and you have a precedent to sue your university for violating your human rights by forcing you to use proprietary software

What kind of impression? Unless your professors are fucking spastic autists there's no way they'd be offended.

that guy's a fag
the burden's on the student

I hope you can afford a 200TB HDD on which you could install Windows.

>Doesn't support Windows 10 1703.

WHAT THE FUCK? What kind of fucked up niggercollege uses SHIT software like this? fucking COCKS!

i don't get it, why anglos are so anal about "cheating" when they learn virtually fuck all in their schools?
it's not like, they would need to design a house or recall names of 300 "stamps" on the spot

> Genuine
So does this mean it won't work on pirated, inactivated copies of Wangblows?

You are literally the problem.

Heads up, ExamSoft tends to have issues with minor software updates on the Mac (apparently Windows too), entire system lock-ups, crashes during exams, etc. So just running a 'supported' OS isn't enough, you need to be on say, 10.X.4, not 10.X.5, and they won't warn you until days before the exam. Fiancée is in law school and it was a nightmare last semester.
>falling for the X1 Carbon meme

Obviously you have to leave that medical school because they are retards.

Also, the medical community as a whole is literally retarded when it comes to technology.