/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Post your stupid questions ITT.

Please read the sticky first.

Old thread

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00K0MJ8DS/
amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003Y5RYNY
ebay.com/itm/256-MB-DDR2-RAM-1Rx16-PC2-4200U-non-ECC-Aeneon-AET560UD00-370A98Z-/182672228962?hash=item2a881d0262:g:hv0AAOSwDtpZbGqF
amazon.com/Mediasonic-ProBox-HF2-SU3S2-SATA-Enclosure/dp/B003X26VV4/
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software#File_syncing_tools
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Thanks to the anons who replied about RAID/backups.

What's the best option for a networked backup solution? Also, won't 16TBs require at least that much to back up, or will backup programs significantly compress things?

How is this for commenting?
class Vector {
private:
//Each vector has, at least, an X and Y value.
float x, y, z;

public:
//Default Constructor
Vector() {x = 0; y = 0; z = 0;}
//Standard 3D constructor
Vector(float xP, float yP, float zP);
//Standard 2D constructor
Vector(float xP, float yP);

//Return the vector as a string
string getVector();
//Multiply each vector component by the given float value.
Vector operator*(float multiplier);
};

Anything to improve? What are some fundamental things to know when professionally commenting code?

I'm using rsync for backups. You just mount the destination and do:
rsync -ahAEHX --delete --info=progress2 source destination.

I'd add a space between // and first character.
Also, if you ever plan to use Doxygen, you might want to make thje comments Doxygen-friendly.

Are there any new ways to get rid of the "windows not genuine" message that I don't know about?

I used to type "SLMGR -REARM" but now it says i've run out of rearm attempts. So you can go into HKEY and change the rearm value back to "1" but that's not working for me.

The backplate for my new cooler seems loose as fuck, but everything is tightened as hard as i dare to screw it and everything seems to work just fine...am i just paranoid?

daz

It's too excessive - it makes it hard to find comments that are actually worth reading.
Also something like "Return the vector as a string", is worthless imo. Anyone can see that from the function signature, but what you'd probably like to know is what kind of formatting it uses.

Can I use daz on an already running OS or do I have to run the daz loader when installing a new OS?

You don't have to reinstall.

There isn't even any way to do it during installation. But what you use depends on which windows it is.

Repostan

With certain games the multiplayer just don't fucking work, this has been happening since I got my latest router, Huawei B315 and I'm trying to figure out what the fuck is going on. It only works when I tether from my phone, then those games will work, never when straight from the router. I tried wifi, ethernet cable same result. Tried messing with every single configuration on the router settings, nothing works. Any advice? I reset my windows network settings, same shit.. Is replacing the router the only option? Should I ask my ISP for a static IP? The problem are with games like Arma 3 and Blackwake. I can't join any servers in Arma 3, I get to a server list but servers wont work. I feel like there might be something wrong with my settings but I don't know.

>But what you use depends on which windows it is.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP 1

>pirating
>not Ultimate

Yeah that's daz.
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4

I wouldn't bother reinstalling for ultimate. Practically speaking it makes almost no difference.

I installed daz loader, restarted my computer and it's still not genuine. Also the thread I downloaded the loader from is 8 years old, i assume windows found a workaround to the patch.

Nope. And version is 2.2.2.2

But if your system is set up as UEFI that might be a problem.

what's the difference between adding and committing in git?

Who wins?

Bog pill vs Hormone pill

America!

Reposting because no answers.
I've got a phone with a tiny internal storage, which was complemented by a not as tiny second internal storage.
Said second storage died recently for some reason however. It simply disappeared one day. It wasn't SD storage by the way, they were separate but both classified as internal, and as such it's not something I can swap out.
As it died, I tried using an SD to replace it, but it appears the system is still latching on to the dead storage as the only "external" storage it has. I can't install big apps on it, I can't move apps to it because it's trying to move them to the nonexistent dead storage instead of the SD. Trying to access the gallery or camera boots me out with a "No external storage available." error despite the SD being in.
It's running 4.2.2 so it doesn't have the format external storage as internal feature.

Can I do anything about this?

It doesn't look like my system is UEFI?

Do a factory reset. If that doesn't work, look into a custom rom.

how to update from android 5.1.1

that doesn't indicate whether it's UEFI or MBR
right click disk 0 for properties or whatever

Ugg, that janky torrent shit tho...

Does these pins look bent enough to cause a POST failure? It's an LGA2011 mobo with dual sockets, this being the primary one (the only socket which can run alone with the other unused).

Tried two independantly tested PSU's and three types of RAM all pulled from working systems and listed as compatible by the mobo manufacturer (intel).

Still no POST, system randomly restarts after power on attempts. Can't test the CPU's alone due to lack of equipment.

Seems to me that thw culprit must be the mobo, but returning it and sourcing a new dual 2011 EATX mobo would take too long for the project. I've never attempted to fix pins on a PGA before, so I want to make damn sure that's the most likely culprit before I give it a shot.

It clearly does.

Windows uses 4 different partitions when using a UEFI boot

You killed it, Jim

Find XDA page for your model.

EDIT: This is a used mobo that arrived with the pins in this condition, so I don't know whether or not it has ever worked in its current state

Nevertheless, he should right click -> properties -> volumes tab, and see what partition: says.

imagine the kids

I use Macrium Reflect Server 6. Can handle/see Dynamic,Raid,Basic,GPT,NTFS,Fat file systems/drives. Basically an all in one solution for data backup/disk clone, File/folder backups or full on system restore if need be. It backs up my Server's 9TB Raid-5 volume without blinking an eye so pretty sure 16TB won't be any problem.

>shilling this hard

>1MB unallocated
what
also there are a couple of updates that must not be installed in order for daz to work, these were the previous attempts by microsoft to stop the loader, a quick google will show which ones

Yup, you should be good. I blame the box of new Marshmalware blasted win-O's cereal you got there.

I want to buy a router. It will basically be used for a single room, so here are my requirements:

>what I need:
cheap
>what I want:
good LAN speeds
>what I don't need:
great range

Is this good or is it overkill: amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00K0MJ8DS/
Or would something like this be good enough (assuming I'm ok with the lower lan speeds):
amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B003Y5RYNY

Do you not need wiki at all?
If you dont just get a switch and plug your modem in to it and the rest of your devices

As a service technician for a company supporting around 20 companies in one city, working under two network engineers, what cert should I go for? Is security worth going for or can that be outsourced?

I'm assuming the factory reset you mean is the one from recovery mode. Just did it and it didn't change anything.
What are the rules to install custom ROMs on nearly unsupported and undocumented devices? I'm afraid to try installing anything and end up bricking the thing because some unrelated thing happened to disagree with the hardware.
And what custom ROMs should I look into?

Find your model on XDA. If it's not on there 9/10 I wouldn't try it. LineageOS is solid.

Try uninstalling 971033 and see if that helps

Any tips to improve battery life on Android smartphones? I am on Marshmallow and have Xposed installed, if that matters. I tried using Greenify and Amplify, but they didn't seem to do much.

MCSE+CCNA. ignore the comptia certs.

I'm about to finish a bachelors in math.

Thinking of applying for a master's in computer engineering.

Is it worth the investment?

sweet am already studying for the CCNA.

Storage-nut user from the last thread again.
Is the power supply something I should look into when upgrading a laptop HDD? For now I only want to swap one HDD with a bigger capacity one. Does the power supply even come into play? I don't see the power consumptions of the HDD on any of the seller sites.

Get your CCNET first and then have the company pay for your ccna

How do you message specific files in a git index?
Like if I've got 4 files ready to be committed, how do I commit specific ones with specific messages?
Or are you literally meant to add and commit file-by-file?

Not an issue, no.

Thanks.

Why sound works great with Windows on my HP Slate 500 but on Bodhi/Debian it is shit and stuttering?

I may have lied a little, it's not actually a phone, but a tablet.
It's also not on XDA. I'm not exactly surprised. Hell, I can't even find the stock proprietary ROM it uses.
The thing is fucked then? Is there no way to mock the SD in place of the dead storage?

Quick question. Studying for CCNA. I want to be able to connect to my router using TELNET, SSH, or Serial to configure via PuTTY. However, I just have a cheap home router, Cisco RV130W, which does not have a console port. Is it possible to just do this using a standard ethernet cable CAT6 with an RJ45 head directly into the routing port? Or will I have to invest in a more enterprise level router to have a console port to connect directly through Serial?

All help is appreciated in advance, thanks.

In C++, how can I make a string of floats of the form:
(x.xx, y.yy, z.zz)?
Floats can't be implicitly converted to strings it seems and toString() kept all the trailing 0s.

Not sure about the C++ way to do it, but you could always use sprintf.

You may be able to telnet or SSH into it, but it's not running IOS, so not very relevant to what CCNA wants you to learn.

They are paying for both of them. Well at least the first 2 attempts.

Probably not. That's a weird problem. If an internal storage partition was legit missing, I would expect the device to not boot up at all. But if you can't find a way of making it reappear, I can't see how you'd get anything else to take its place. Most solutions for moving shit to external storage involve mapping it to folders on the existing internal storage via symlinks. Wouldn't help you much if there's nothing to map it to. Maybe dig around on google and see if anyone's encountered this problem before.

sprintf(string, "(%1.2f, %1.2f, %1.2f)",x,y,z)

>HP
proprietary driver

Was DDR2 ever made in 256MB modules? The smallest I ever found was 512MB.

I do need wifi (e.g. for phoneposting), I just don't need a house-sized range on it.

>why does [everything] work like it should with Windows but it doesn't with linux

Did I do good getting a galaxy S7?

Yeah, I believe it was some shitty LinkSys design they bought of LinkSys at one point, or something. I will try to find an older model that runs IOS that someone is trying to get rid of on Craig'sList or something. That'll be better ultimately, I am sure. I just wanted to confirm there wasn't an alternate option. Thank you very much.

Is there a way to automatically backup files like Windows 10 file history from one drive in a pc to another drive in the pc without using Raid?
One drive is an ssd and the other is an hdd so raid wouldn't be optimal from what I understand.

FreeFileSync

Yes.

see for example ebay.com/itm/256-MB-DDR2-RAM-1Rx16-PC2-4200U-non-ECC-Aeneon-AET560UD00-370A98Z-/182672228962?hash=item2a881d0262:g:hv0AAOSwDtpZbGqF

Holy shit, so my 420 themed PC build is actually doable now. AMD 420e, Geforce GT 420, and 4.2(5) GB of RAM. Thank you.

Is unRaid completely independent from traditional RAID solutions like 5, 6, 10, etc. or do you typically use them together? I'm looking into building a NAS but I'm a little unsure as to what unRaid's role is.

980ti (used) vs 1050ti?
980ti (used) vs 1060?
Or w8 for Vega ?
I am using a 1080p and want over 50 fps on most games

Got a pirated version of windows 8.1. Wanna buy just the license to activate it, not the software because I dont wanna do a clean install. How do i do that folks

if I need to update my rooted phone do I need to unroot it first and then re root it after?

That's the thing, I was just as confused when it happened.
For one, it was out of nowhere, apps that were on that storage (which acted as SD storage, so apps could be moved there) started crashing. Next thing I know is I reboot to see if it's fixed and now the whole partition is gone, just like that.
For two, it appears the main storage is still functional. That's it, just the one storage, the main one. I have no idea if that's where the OS is, but I imagine it has to since it wouldn't even boot otherwise like you said.
My only theory is the thing has two storage chips inside, and the secondary one, the one acting as the "big" storage for apps and whatnot, got fried.
I thought if that was dead then I could just replace it with an SD card. It makes sense, no?
Now what's left where the vanished storage used to show up in the settings menu is a Mount SD Card, which strangely enough isn't greyed out, as if the slot was being used, but the button does nothing anyway.
Apparently not, because despite having the SD slotted in, it doesn't let me access the gallery or the camera, and I can't move apps to it. It's like the SD only works to have raw files, and nothing else.
It's a really specific problem, and I've only found one or two topics in some bumfuck forums that say to "reformat the SD", or "make a factory wipe", or "reflash the device with the stock ROM it has". You can imagine I'm shit outta luck there.
What's pissing me off the most is not being able to download big apps to it even with the SD in it, it even has the audacity to go "Can't download app, insufficient storage available. Slot an SD card and try again", right there when the goddamned SD is in it.
Hell, some of them would even fit in the remaining functioning storage, but it doesn't like saving things there apparently. For big apps, it needs the dead "external" storage, and it can't be from an SD.

The green led light on my motherboard on when i put on power but for some reason it won't turn on when i hit the front panel power button.

I tired adjusting the front panel connectors on the motherboard but it still wont start. Does any have suggests to get it work?

dyou guys know anything about using an external hard drive (like a fairly big one) with just a tv (no laptop/computer involved)?

ive got usb capability with my tv but it wont take anything with substantial storage and the layout/menu isnt great

It doesn't matter if you buy it online or physically, you should always get the licence code which you can just enter in the control panel

kinguin

I wouldn't update it unless you find an XDA guide covering the update. There's a good chance it will be permanently unrootable after the update

UnRAID is an OS that includes software file based redundancy similar to RAID 3. You can run it on top of hardware traditional RAID implementations for better performance, but it's not really recommended for most uses.

980Ti ~= 1070.

If you want more functionality, plug in a real computer, use a hard drive attached to that.

What happens if I plug too many computers, space heaters, and refrigerators into the same wall outlet?

It probably doesn't have enough power to run the drive. If the drive doesn;t have its own power cord you might have to run it through a powered hub. But attaching it directly to the tv is a shit solution in general. The player wont be great and a lot of filetypes wont be supported. Get some kind of a kodi box or streaming stick, or connect up a laptop or something.

You'll blow the fuse and the power will go out.

Hey, a relative gave me a smartphone which appears to be a Samsung Gaxy S (GT-I9000). What's the most FREE/Autistic thing I an flash to this while still having access to Google stuff like Viber? Searches say that it's CyanogenMod (and the phone is already running it), but that has been discontinued, and LineageOS doesn't have a version for this phone.

Android has a system storage which remains 100% untouched except when you're flashing full system updates, and then the internal storage where everything else goes. I think your system storage is working like normal but you can't store anything because internal is gone. It was a major overhaul that made it possible for SD cards to replace internal storage in later versions, so if your internal chip is fried and you can't update I think your tab is probably perma-gimped

Looks a bit sketchy to be honest, is it legit?
How intensive is it? Gonna be using it on my toaster laptop.

My 2 drive synology is kicking the bucket I think..

I have a bunch of drives I dont want to toss out, considering building my own NAS this time instead of buying another synology.

I figure I can have it double as a HTPC. Anyways, its hard to find mobos that dont break the bank with 8+ Sata connections, should I bother with that?

Or Should I get a couple of these?
amazon.com/Mediasonic-ProBox-HF2-SU3S2-SATA-Enclosure/dp/B003X26VV4/

If I run the drives in software RAID 1 pairs, recovery should be easy in case the NAS itself dies, right?

How badly will the USB 3.0 enclosure gimp performance vs SATA for video playback and regular data transfer application?

>Not trying to game or do real time applications from those enclosures.

If I wipe the hard drive on my computer, can I use the windows product key I had to install windows on another computer?

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/List_of_recommended_Windows_software#File_syncing_tools

It has openCandy, but so does everything these days. Run the installer offline and you don't even have to uncheck shit during install. Very light. Installs two programs, one for manual jobs and the other for real time.

No, unless it's a retail license.

Easy solution for more SATA on a cheap motherboard is just add a PCIe SATA or SAS card.

USB 3.0 is fine too, it's faster than your network, so makes no difference for NAS use.

Legally, if it's a retail license, yes, if it's an OEM license no. OEM license can usually be reused anyway if you do activation by phone and say you just swapped the motherboard.

>plug in a real computer
what i guess im getting at is, at the moment ive got my laptop (along with the external drive) connected to the tv (via vga) which is great, at least on the laptop end
but say i want to change from watching 'tv' (programs etc) to my laptop, currently i have to use the tv remote
i mean this is a pretty ridiculous thing to be complaining about but it started me wondering about tv-laptop inter-connectivity as a whole
i guess im asking what the best way to 'integrate' a laptop and tv is

cheers, i'll look into the kodi/stick options