Create text

>create text
>try to move it
>whole image behind it moves instead

gimp is such a piece of shit

even fucking pixlr is better

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinting_(psychology)#Baby_duck_syndrome
download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/magic/creativesuite/CS2_EOL/PHSP/PhSp_CS2_English.exe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

There's a option to only move the selected layer.

Every complaint I see of gimp is people who don't know how to use it. It isn't that fucking hard. Google your problem and you should be provided an answer. Seriously just started using gimp the other week and after figuring our the basics it is eazy peazy.

GIMP is shit but this specific post is retarded.

>operate a tool
>don't read the manual
>blame the tool for your incompetence

OP is such a piece of shit

even fucking this guy is better

He's just not grabbing the right place.
You can tell you're on the text by the cursor style.

Uninstall GIMP and pirate Photoshop OP, oh and suck a fat dick while you're at it.

Truth contained

This

Beautiful

>do something it works
>do nothing for a second and just look at the result
>GIMP CRASHES

Apart from that I can't get over how it just does not work the way you'd expect it to work. It's not even a cleverer way of doing stuff, it's just different for the sake of being different and inefficient too.

Fucking hell, I just fucking the Krita people finally grow some balls and add the last couple features needed to make everyone quickly forget about Gimp.

What an enormous piece of SHIT.

werks on my machine.

I was going to ask if you autists could at least realize that a tool you have to fight with is a bad tool, but then I realized Sup Forums unironically thinks desktop Linux is a good idea.

is that its final form ?

also anyone happy with paint.net in wine ?

>Peppers are misaligned for perfect spacing
Ruined

sometimes I feel like gimp's sole purpose is to fuck up the whole picture people have of linux software. blender and krita are superb but then they give gimp a try and everything falls apart again.

really almond activating how krita got from 0 to really usable in such a short time while gimp crawls along for literally decades despite being the actually more important software (krita is a painting application while gimp is supposed to be the allrounder in pixel graphics).

>it's just different for the sake of being different and inefficient too.

Its different for the sake of avoiding a design patent lawsuit from Adobe

>patent lawsuit from Adobe

>lawsuit on free software

I was hoping that would go unnoticed.

gimpdev's autistic misunderstanding of patent law != patent law
gimpdev's autistic misunderstanding of adobe's patents != adobe's patents
hell, even ignoring the typical "literally everything from photoshop to coreldraw to sai to mspaint to pdn to krita does it the same way in one click, gimp is off in its own helmet-special corner 14 clicks deep in a menu" situation - photoshop 1.0 is now 27 years old. if adobe had muh patent on shape tools on a ribbon, which they don't, and it was enforceable, which it isn't, it would still be expired at this point.

No, they could if they wanted but they're for some reason really proud to be ~different~ and stubborn as fuck.

Make sure "Move the Active Layer" is selected in the options panel, not "Pick a layer or guide". Click and drag

Wow I guess you're fucking retarded.

>google "gimp how to draw circle"
>pages of tutorials and forum posts on how to draw a circle because it's not fucking intuitive
>"u just dont kno how 2 use the software lol"

GIMP tried too hard to not be Photoshop and it has a shit design as a result. I'm not saying it is bad software, many people use it successfully - but let's not pretend like it's as intuitive as you're making it out to be.

>cut out part of image
>try to deselect
>ctrl d
>doesn't work
>select
>none can't be clicked
>shift ctrl a
>doesn't work

fuck this piece of shit

It's not that we can't figure out how to do it, it's that we shouldn't have to figure out how to do something this simple in the first place

you mean clicking on the right part of the screen?

Or you could just use a real image editor that has a "draw shape" tool to draw a circle in one step.

It's called baby duck syndrome.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imprinting_(psychology)#Baby_duck_syndrome

tbqh the real problem with gimp's dumbshit isn't even its dumbshit existing. tools like blender and avisynth and x264 all require socks-labeled-right-and-left degrees of puzzlepieces.png to get good results out of, but if you put your level/age 30 wizard down in front of one he will flick a few keys, change a couple of constants, and do shit that's incredible to impossible with normieware.
they're like the plan 9 or regex of creativity software.

tools like krita, on the other hand, you can just sit down at and intuit. they're amazingly sharp for a hobbyist effort, and while they don't quite do everything that commercial offerings do, they have their own niches and strong points, they constantly improve, and they're more than usable even as-is.

gimp is the worst of both worlds, it practically has a click-through license agreement requiring you to uninstall if you ever manage to have sex, yet it's also 10 years late on delivery for the "output can be used by commercial printers" function, and fucking adjustment layers - you know, basically the point of digital raster manipulation - are blocked on that rewrite and slated for sometime AFTER the next major version.

Something like this maybe?

Move active layer retard

The little rectangle at the lower left by the scroll bar is a shortcut for apply mask. That usually does the trick if gimp is being fussy about what it will let you select. click it again to turn it off. The mask is also handy for modifying selection, you can use the eraser and paint brush on it.

I have the suspicion that Krita has either lots of ACTUAL ARTISTS among the developers or they're actively and actually listening to artists meanwhile Gimp seems to have nothing but basement dwelling fat neckbeards working their greasy cheeto fingers on it every full moon.

Makes sense. Programmer/weeb is pretty common, programmer/designer not nearly as much.

Experiment time: open GIMP's "open bugs with milestone Future", list all the bugs affecting something i did with Photoshop at work today
nb: "Future" is beyond 3.2, which is beyond 3.0, which is beyond 2.10. we're currently at the end of the 2.8 cycle which began in 2012. so these can be expected to be fixed sometime in the 2030s:
98017 - add a "save for web" feature - opened 2002, prospective patch from 2007
169616 - Improve "Text along a path" - opened 2005, prospective patch from 2005
8141 - cancelling a plug-in may leave dangling images around - opened 2001, prospective patch from 2006
72877 - Incorrect RGBA resampling in Warp plug-in - opened 2002, no patch
51547 - Multiple Filters / Operations should not be allowed - opened 2001, no patch, was once considered to block 2.0 (!)
154715 - Photoshop PSD Import Failure & TIFF Import Failure - opened 2004, no patch
783697 - Scaling canvas size - transforms text layers to image layers - opened 2017, no patch
123598 - CMYK support - opened 2003, no patch
143163 - Align layer & Position Layer - opened 2004, prospective patch from 2004
659825 - "Path from Text" in Text Tool doesn't work for bitmap fonts - opened 2011, no patch
50730 - Stroking a selection should have better anti-aliasing - opened 2001, was wontfix don't use stroke until the realization that you had to to get a fucking circle
150500 - Group font faces by family in the font selection dialog - opened 2004, no patch
55018 - Gradient along a path - opened 2001, no patch
65197 - New tool please: Shapes - opened 2001, no patch
138373 - Autosave - opened 2004, no patch
91941 - Layer Move Independent of Layer Mask - opened 2002, no patch
139874 - [WISHLIST] Layer window (view one layer in a separate window) - opened 2004, no patch

(lol sec i need more than one post for all the shit that's wrong with gimp)

>65197 - New tool please: Shapes - opened 2001, no patch

This is completely unacceptable

some of this shit is "just" ui niceties that save me time any by extension make me more money.
some of this shit is a straight-up go back to ink jars and rolls of paper blocker, like a game engine that compiles only to java.
some of this shit is literally unfixed long enough that if i had to recruit a hs work experience kid to suffer through it doing it by hand, he would be younger than the bug justifying his free soda and positive review.
but all of it is in a single day of work; imagine what i'd find if i spread that out to a week or month, or looked at WONTFIX and target 3.2 features.

>opened 2001, no patch

Things like this is just prove that Gimp devs are incredibly stubborn neckbeards.
Guys like these represent the fucked up part of Linux.

gimp circles literally can't be a Sup Forums meme BECAUSE THE BUGZILLA ENTRY IS OLDER THAN Sup Forums

Images are memes anyway. Who needs em. Not me.

I legit believe Krita is the best drawing software out there
hell, at least it beats photoshop by 9 miles just by having a fucking stabilizer out of the box

I remember independently discovering GIMP circles were shit before discovering they were a "meme". Bought clip studio paint for windows, use krita for linux.

I'd recommend clip studio over krita, but only because it is slightly more responsive. Unlike Krita, of course, it has the big downside of not being free, but it is very cheap.

you can get me to agree with "beats photoshop", and probably with "best drawing software if you can't read moon tutorials". i'm actually looking forward to really putting it through its paces soon, i have a pen display on order.

these are embarrassing enough that I'm surprised no one's just said "fuck it, I'm writing an image editor that doesn't suck ass"
some of them would be no effort if GIMP wasn't an old-ass messy codebase

>gimp how to draw circle
click ellipse
make ellipse but make it a circle instead

woah so unintuitive

>Needing to type in where you want your circle to be and how big you want it
Jesus fucking Christ GIMP is pathetic.

Photoshop doesn't have that option?
christ

I've tried. GIMP should make compact tools.

Any sane image editor has a shape tool and you just draw the fucking shape with your mouse. You don't have to type in where you want it to be or how big you want it, you just make it how big you want it where you want it.

That's open source free software for you! You get what you paid for! The devs made it for themselves not for artists to use.

download.adobe.com/pub/adobe/magic/creativesuite/CS2_EOL/PHSP/PhSp_CS2_English.exe
1045-1412-5685-1654-6343-1431
>software from 2005 is better than open source software from 2017
gimplets blown the fuck out forever

>draw the fucking shape with your mouse
yeah except when you want a specific sized circle you have to make a new project at the size you want and then attempt to fill it in the box perfectly
good shit my lad good shit

you can have it save you settings on exit

BTFO

green is my circle

GIMP is bad, like really bad, but this thing is not an issue
It's not hard. It's uncomfortable to use (just try iwarp in GIMP and liquify tool in PS) and too basic (even with plugins) for professional work. But it's usable.
that's just bullshit, son.
Krita is also not great. It's nowhere near as capable as Corel Painter or PS. Still have a lot of nice features, though.
Same thing can be said about Blender.

"You're grabbing it wrong."

photoshop has both options, and photoshop's box is a live-previewed box on the context bar rather than a "typoed? time to undo and start over" submenu entry

>Oh it's not that FOSS autists can't create a usable GUI if their lives depended on it, it's the user's fault for not wasting hours clicking through YouTube video tutorials, obscure forum posts, and thick manuals to figure out how to do the most basic functions we've made impossible due to our ineptness for user fidelity.

>not knowing how to use the software

Seriously, OP I get that GIMP is no photoshop, and the interface "out of the box" is pretty shit, but take 5 seconds to set the damn thing up in single window mode, and enable the right toolbars, and it's ridiculously useful for a free program.

Different workflow =/= bad program

Then STOP using it idiot.

Start using superior KDE Plasma and superior Krita like normal people.

there's no pussy checkbox

There's a appimage link on krita's download page.
So you don't need all the kde dependencies.

That should be the default behavior then.

Biggest problem with Gimp is shit defaults.

>krita
>not paint tool sai

Freetard software is usually always garbage.

just because you don't get it doesn't mean it's hard for everyone else.