Job as Computer Programmer

>Graduated as a physics and mathematics major
>Did 3 yrs of physics research using lots of OOL
>International student (Latin America)
>Can't get a job in the US as a pro/g/rammer
It seems I fucked up big time. I made few networking opportunities in college and now I am stuck applying online. I am telling you, networking is probably more important than degrees nowadays.
I leave to my country in four weeks. Sup Forumsoodbye, America. It was fun.

You need to go back.

pajeets don't speak Mexican.

you need to learn hindi

>CS major in New England
>hovered at a 2.7 GPA because I'm a bum
>chair and co-char of the department think I'm great
>network me up with some company contacts
>several job offers and I don't even graduate until december

Good for you, man. I wish you succeed as a programmer. I came to the US believing that networking was not as important as in Latin America, but I was WRONG (Trump voice). Networking is an essential part for any sort of career success.

Look for shops that offer internships or apprenticeships.

Sucks, but it can get your foot in the door.

That's funny because I got my job without any networking at all. $100k/year right out of graduation.
Obviously, I did plenty of networking and am pretty well known among the teaching faculty, but literally none of that helped me get my job.

You know what got me a job? Unusual hiring practices. Most of the time you just dump your resume in the online recruiting page and then you get automatically filtered out by HR on stupid metrics.

Instead, the company had me do an online code challenge interview. They take your resume and make sure you're not a retard before even seeing you. Then they had me do another code challenge and interview with a real person this time. They flew me and another couple hundred people out to a hotel in a big city and had the final interview and group mentorship and I was done.

No joke. Unless you're head of the class, networking is your best option for finding work. Every position I've had was through contacts. Recruiters only seem to cater to the shittiest of employers that want to work you like a pajeet.

>international student

is this code for "illegal immigrant"? gotta have papers to get a good job, m8

it means student visa
would you rather they come back with an H1B visa and take your job?

>I am telling you, networking is probably more important than degrees nowaday

Take it from me, a highschool dropout, no degree and a job designing/implementing scada systems in industrial settings, this is true.

It took me a full year of doing nothing but programming/networking amongst my areas engineers until i got a job.

>61564202
>International student
>Can't get a job in the US
There you go OP. Everything else you said was useless.

How do you "network" anyway? Join clubs in school campuses? Spam people on linkedin? Facebook friend people? What?

if you need to be spoonfed on how to interact with people to get ahead, you're not gonna make it

>No programming experience
>Wants a programming job
The fuck did you expect? If you got an English degree and "wrote lots of python code" that wouldnt qualify you for shit either.

I don't just go up to people and ask them if they want to be friends if they are involved in the tech industry so yes I do need to be spoonfed.

Go to hackathons and show off. Network with other people there showing off, the company running it, other recruiters there.

here you sort of always get jobs through people you know, it's best way because then you already know if a place is ok or not.
Also if you just apply here today, you have to go through useless recruiters that doesn't know shit about tech stuff and the company or what they do so they can never answer you. Last I did that was the last lol
>what are they doing?
they are doing some .net stuff
>uhm.. so c# or?
some .net stuff.

>No programming experience
I did research on a particle physics experiment not unrelated to the LHC for three years. The physics was hard, but the programming came easy for. me. I was tasked in writing programs in embedded systems and making several algorithms in C/C++ for efficiency. I had taken a few CS classes before that, but I don't know how much companies would believe me unless I show them my coding skills.

Also it helps a lot if you actually make some shit you can flash and show off with, that ought to be pruddy international. How I got my first programming job I hadn't even completed high school back then. Had complete it later on though, to get my uni degree
>Whatever you do, do it awesome

Well, you are right. I mainly did back-end programming, and no one really gets to see the back-end programming. Do you suggest an advanced Arduino or Rasp. Pi project I can show off? Or is it doing something with a nice GUI that does something cool?

No hablo Ingles.

I am not NA, but SEA. Every country tries to prioritize the welfare of its own citizens first. You will find that it is easier to get a job at home than it is to get one in a foreign country.

...unless, of course, you are a genius AND you can prove it. Are you a genius? Can you prove it?

>Every country tries to prioritize the welfare of its own citizens first.
not in america lol

So how can I network such that I can bypass shitty HR people? I may not be fucking Turing, but I know what I am doing most of the time? I am just finding it difficult to reach out to people who are capable of helping me land a job.

I asked the same question but got shit on for it.