What motivation does Microsoft need to gut Windows and replace most of userland with a much more consistent...

What motivation does Microsoft need to gut Windows and replace most of userland with a much more consistent, intuitive environment?

It's umaintainable, so they came up with UWP.

Seems like no one used it though. Windows Dead when?

What they need to do is complete scrap NT and just use Linux or some other kernel at this point and keep around a few of their own libraries and userland like Android does. Or just scrap Windows and start over because it's a total fucking mess.

They could create and maintain a proprietary user space on linux. Maybe something like wine but one that actually works well (just my experience with wine anyway). Windows users wouldn't give a shit.

One problem:

Once you go GNU, there's no more copyright. Microsoft would stop making money licensing their new "Windows" to laptop manufacturers since they would no longer have to pay royalties, and there'd be no legal basis to prosecute people for downloading the new "Windows" from a third party without paying.

Microsoft would never give up their copyrights, its all they have

They need an actual stable kernel ABI so that we can simply get rid of their crappy DLLs and roll our own, better crap on top of NT.

Linux user space is not GPL-bound.

>What motivation does Microsoft need to gut Windows and replace most of userland with a much more consistent, intuitive environment?
They wont.

They've already tried, like the introduction of the Start screen in Windows 8. Put people don't want it, they complained and thought it was too difficult (lol).

Thanks for correcting me user.

I personally want them to keep it. People'll see how bloated and shitty windows actually is.

This is wrong.

Are you the guy who forked blaster repository a few hours ago in github? Did you do it just for the screenshot?

because it works for 90% of world's population and you're a vocal minority

wew lad

Why would they?

People don't care as long as their software works.

>managed kernel
>insanely dumb
Maybe it was dumb to attempt at Microsoft knowing how Microsoft was at the time, but it isn't dumb in principle. It has already been done with considerable success. For instance, Wirth and his collaborators at Zurich built a whole OS from the kernel up to the GUI in a managed language and, as far I understand, used it as their daily driver in the late 1980s. Maybe Windows was too big for it in principle, but I wouldn't be so sure. Without Microsoft's legendary mismanagement and rivalry between departments they probably could have pulled it off.

>Windows Dead when?

(You)
*It had already been done

I wouldn't call what windows does "working".

on top of Win32
NT is fine, they need to scrap the Win32 subsystem and start over.

>2020
>india becomes superpower
>windows is no longer usable because of poo r quality code
seems legit