>wake from nap and finish workload in half the time estimated
>play PC games rest of the day
>getting 105k for this shit and they praise me for my work ethic all the time
Is it this easy everywhere else?

Yep. Same here.

>working
lmao

>listen to project manager chew out literally everyone but me
How I know you are underage NEET. Project managers in big corporations nowadays never chew people out publicly. It just does not happen. It might make some people, sad, or upset, or hurt, and that's not ok in 2017.

You could not be more wrong.

>repair phones and laptop in a small shop near my city.

Shit's comfy af, and i got a free Thinkpad T43 from a man who wanted to trash it

>c++ dev, process industry
>come in at around 8:40
>read emails
>do whatever I was working on last day, or check with head of development what needs to be done
>constantly interrupted by emails about crashes etc. on live systems, need to remote connect and check what was wrong, collect crash dumps
>lunch
>1 or 2 meetings per day
>go home at around 17:40

I want to get a job doing this but im too much of a nervous bitch to get a job

I feel like I would fuck something up day one

Oh man i did fuck up things real bad sometimes, it's part of the job, dont worry

i hope you at least install adobe reader

I wish I was a code monkey.

Hey guys, hope you dont mind me using this thread instead of polluting the catalog. I have good question.

>going through community college->state uni for BS CS
>taking prereqs getting maths and arts/non cs science
>even cc is overpriced
>have to fight every instructor on book pricing(ie 6th edition 178$ 5th edition 2.56$)
>every class with the capacity to be pic related is pic related
I'm not even gonna complain about the stuff your forced to learn thats completely unrelated to your field that you must learn anyways at significant cost.

tldr: does college get better? is bs cs worth the investment (timespentnot working + money + debt)? I live in a metropolitan area and women can get a 20$/hr job if they know quickbooks and wont fuck up payroll. Anything like that for men?

Statistically, it will probably eventually become worth it. However, if you are an autist, you might get unlucky and it will never be worth it. But if you're unemployable with a degree, you would probably be unemployable without a degree too.

Are you using Google Ultron?

>Actuarial "Software" """Engineer"""
>export shit some $8/hour data entry node put into excel to the risk analyzing software
>fuck off for several hours while a supercomputer calculates then odds of a swimming pool catching on fire
>come back and export the results into a different speeadsheet
>make sure it looks reasonable
It always does, appearently I have to fix it if it doesn't but literally never have outside of training.
>140k and frequent bonuses
Plus many companies we do consulting for offer killer stock options as if that would somehow make the analysis any better because I'm now personally invested.

>tldr: does college get better?
No.
t. guy who was forced to take 6
six philosophy and ethics classes for a bachelors
You're there for the paper that says you're allowed to make lots of money, not the bullshit anyone has to say.

Do you have a CS degree? Not trying to discount you just wondering.

Get your associates first. Apply to internships. Look at the upper-level classes for your state uni and decide for yourself

>wake up at 10
>check into Slack, eat breakfast and work for a bit
>check out for lunch and drive 20 minutes to Disney World
>eat lunch and finish the work day there
>close laptop and go to one of the parks or just hang around

Several times a week.

>paper that says you're allowed to make lots of money
When does that pay off though? the doctors paradox is they make higher than average pay but take 12 years to get there.

I don't. I got a Psychology degree nine years ago from a good university, and I couldn't get a job with it, and in the end I got some IT certifications and started doing this for a job instead. So I know for a fact that a degree will not guarantee you a good job, and I know you don't need a degree for an IT job, but I also know that most people have had better experiences than me.

It guarantees you a leg up on those without a degree, not much else. For a lot of employers that require a degree it means you won't have to get one and can get paid more starting.

>wake up
>drive 40 mins to work
>look at what i had written down on whiteboard from yesterday
>try to implement what was written down yesterday
>research on fucking internal wiki/codebase for 2 hrs then try again if i fail
>if i fail again then talk to manager, usually points in right direction or tells me to just figure it out
>write down what to do on whiteboard for next day
>rinse, repeat

What field in CE/EE lets me make most dosh? Software development/ signal integrity?

Wageslave reporting in.

Basically just maintaining inventory software for a small ecommerce company and occasionally dealing with Amazon fucking up our shit. I'm just browsing Sup Forums and ebay most of the time.

Well that depends on your career path. There is no "computer science" job. It's about using a degree to get you a job that you couldn't get without it. Franky I don't think a bachelors of CS has any jobs like that, but maybe I'm wrong. It's certainly an easier way to get your foot in the door than "check out my sick anime wallpaper generator on github".

this board makes me laugh sometimes, every single /mkg/ and hardware thread are filled with people with a budget of max $100, but then when a humblebrag thread like this pops up almost everyone is on >$100k p/a

You'd be surprised how many code monkey positions expect a CS degree thanks to MIT (Mumbai Institute of Technology) handing them out like toilet paper.

Maybe the people making lots of money aren't the same people asking retarded questions. Really revs up those thought engines, huh?

This. Anyone making over $30/hr at a tech job already knows the answer after googling and spends the right amount of money.

>Project managers in big corporations nowadays never chew people out publicly. It just does not happen. It might make some people, sad, or upset, or hurt, and that's not ok in 2017.
How I know you are a delusional, underaged NEET Sup Forumstard.

Nah. I think some people like to exaggerate on an anonymous imageboard to give themselves some reassurance

>wake up at 7.45 and shower
>get to work around 8.10
>drink coffee
>shitpost on chans
>suddenly its 13.00
>close couple dumb tickets with 'rejected' status
>play around with new ibm blade server
>go home whenever

yep, life as a sysadmin is alright

Whatever you need to tell yourself to make it through the day. I'm sure your code bootcamp was just as good as a real degree, honest.

Are you me?

lol shit i wish your logic applied to my business analyst or architect

no lies from me, my work has absolutely nothing to do with CS/programming.

>wake up at 8am
>drive half an hour to work
>spend probably 2 hours a day working on a project, the rest of the time just fucking around on the internet
>leave at 5:30
It's boring as fuck, but at least it's just an internship. I'm dreading graduating from university and spending the rest of my life doing this shit tough

You kinda sound like the interns we got, they kinda suck, don't do a lot of work and generally don't do much.

It'll be less boring when you're making 2-4x as much and you're assigned more important stuff.

That sounds like me, maybe I work for you :^)

Maybe, but our team doesn't have interns, the larger general team does. I was the first & last intern the team I'm on has had actually.

If you're not interested in the work you're doing tell your manager you want to pivot to something else, or ask for more relevant work.

It's for a small business with a very small dev team & they hired us to work on a specific project. There's not much else to do

Find something productive to do then, be proactive, ask if you can help with anything else. You don't gain or learn much by doing nothing.

>getting 105k for this shit
Nigga you're underpaid.

curious anywhere here a electrical engineer and what their day is like. My major is EE and i really enjoy it, but i am curious to hear what the industry is like to work in.

I've been fucking around trying to learn golang the past couple weeks, but you're right I should ask for a bit more work. I wanna look good so I can get some good references

Do it to it.

>Sysadmin at college I study at(freshman)
>Go in, find out what broke overnight
>Fix that shit
>Hang out with the help desk people for a bit
>Hack some shit together in Python and bash
>Shitpost on slack
>Take an hour+ lunch break with friends in engineering Dept
>Come back and fix shit that broke during lunch
>Come up with stuff to keep other people busy
>socially unaware boss corners me for an hour to ramble about random shit
>Nod for an hour but hey I get paid for it
>Leave
>Get paid $13/hr

> itt lazy fucks not learning shit,
> eventually be replaced by pajeets

luuk its retarted XD

What's your metric? Are they using SCRUM and team foundation server to monitor your workload capacity? Or did you someone game that system too?

>network security engineer
>read emails
>listen in on daily change control call
>1.5 hour lunch
>go through firewall requests
>deny most
>push approved changes
>only do about 2 hours of work a day
>110k
>constantly praised. promoted multiple times

Sucks that you have to work half a day. I go for a couple weeks at a time without working, then put in a day. Only 70k, though.

>Web Dev
>Come into work
>Sit down
>Look at work queue
>Clear out all of my tasks before lunch on a bad day, most days I'm done within an hour
>Log 6 hours billable time
>Ask lead dev for work. He has nothing. Ask any of my 4 supervisors for work. They have nothing.
>Sit on reddit for 4 hours or so. Take long lunch somewhere in there.
>People give me dirty glares because they know I'm overpaid and underutilized
>Not my fucking problem
>Go home and hate myself because work is boring and existence is pain

this

take up pills and vodka

Weed has me mostly covered. Thank god for legal states.

I may have a job offer at a much better place later this week. At least, I hope it's better and not a "grass is greener" type thing.

>data entry
>3-4 hours per day, 4/5 days working from home, usually just play videogames instead of working
>only get 195k so not great, i'm 19

typical Sup Forums post

>"""devops""" engineer
>roll in to work ~9-10am
>coffee
>look at all the shit I want to fix or make better
>well, none of that's gonna get done
>useless teammates
>useless management
>job is actually pretty great except that I can't actually get anything meaningful done or pull this company forward into the modern age
>maybe get something done despite all the obstacles
>go home

I guess it's not that bad

>/try/ to get up at 8:30
>walk for a couple mins to work next door
>look at email, chat, get coffee for 30 mins, get an idea of what i am going to do for the day, talk with coworkers if we have anything really planned to finish today
>work until about 11:30
>go for lunch until about 1pm somewhere
>work until 5pm
>go home and play games

Primarily work with elasticsearch, puppet, python, some ruby, kafka, general sysadmin-y kind of things, we get to be the guinea pigs for the kubernetes cluster too (so fucking much easier than our workflow before), eventually go when I get around to working on more tooling. Enjoying what I do, coworkers are pretty great, everyone is pretty fun to be around, knowledgeable and helpful. Some of what I do could be described as devops.

I make about 65k/yr as a junior, bonuses up to 10% of total salary (for quarterly perf bonuses), random bonuses here and there, and they contribute 6% to my 401k regardless, with my 12% that makes it pretty great. Benefits are great, pays for everything pretty much except like $30 copays.

I have my friend to thank, if it weren't for him sticking his neck out with the internship for me I wouldn't have gotten the full time position.

>intern at a big financial company
>come in at 8:00 every day
>working on a summer long project of adding some features to an existing app and refactoring the app since it was written 20 years ago
>have code review once a week
>retarded "user experience" girl tries to tell me to change things like "oh, can we make this box be 2 pixels smaller in height" or "I think we should use this tooltip that looks the exact fucking same as the other tooltip because I need a way to justify my job and make it look like I'm making contributions"

You guys are idiots but I love you guys all the same, net sec guys have the most fun ball busting.

That sounds like a terrible idea.

I only had to go to rehab once

>reddit
>Go home and hate myself because work is boring and existence is pain
pull the trigger user

>looking through some job openings
>devops engineer
>hm, seems interesting, lets see what they look for

check this out

-Interpreted or scripting languages (Python, Perl, PowerShell, Unix Shell, etc.)
OOP and compiled languages like C# or Java
-Windows Server or Unix administration Other qualifications and skills:
-Understanding concepts of Agile software development methodologies like Scrum
-Configuration management tools (Chef, Puppet, DSC, etc.)
-Continuous integration/delivery concepts and tools (Jenkins, TFS, Team City, Octopus Deploy, etc.)
-Virtualization and container platforms (Hyper-V, VMWare, Docker, etc.)
-Understanding concepts and using services on cloud infrastructure platform (Azure, AWS, etc.)
-Configuration and administration of relational (e.g. MSSQL) and/or NoSQL databases
-Configuration and administration of application or web servers (IIS, Tomcat, etc.)
-Networking protocols (ISO/OSI, routing, firewall, VPN)

>close browser

If it has devops in the title it's probably bad off the bat. Devops is not a job, it's more of a set of responsibilities.

>payrate 25/hr

More like 700/month

lol, sounds like they don't want a devops person

has to be complaint and make sense.

here are typically requests
>we are putting in a new server
>we are gonna need ports 1-65000 open
>source -any

then i deny it

I think the CS degree is worth it but unless you're going to a top school just go to the cheapest school that will issue you a real degree and isn't laughing stock teir like university of phoenix.

If you don't want to do that you can learn java, start watching a bunch of java projects on github and try to fix bugs that you think are easy. Rack up your pull request count a little bit and put this on your resume and finish the book "cracking the coding interview". The last is important because it will teach you about the problems that people encounter in CS but rarely in the real world and interviews are full of these things.
Move to seattle, portland, or austin and then you will make 50k at least but with a little luck you could land an 90k gig if you can somehow make your open source contributions sound joblike. It will take less time than college but will leave you with more logistical problems for you to solve on your own.

It is my experience that good jobs where you file few papers are strictly the domain of women it's hilarious that feminists look down on high paid menial office work when such work is the envy of men everywhere.

What do they actually do, it's a complete mystery to me

devops engineer is a meme title
I consider it equivalent with a systems engineer that has a CS background
I'm looking to hire one of these people right now and I shit you not that is a pretty accurate overview of what we're looking for sans the windows experience

like we don't expect someone to know all of that, but know and have worked on at least 1 in each category and have some idea what the others are
and if someone knows like %70-80 of those categories they can figure out the rest

As i understand, devops people should literalyl make a pipeline for devs so they can push code on a press of a button

But, the question arises, why the fuck such system isn't already in place in companies?

Also, can anyone describe that pipeline in little more details, i know it varies from company to company, but is it something like ->code->git->automatic build tool with shitload of unit testing ->docker image (why image?) ->aws/azure?

I always wonder where in that pipeline chef, puppet comes in? Afaik, those tools are made so you can auto config shitload of servers, but why changing servers at all?

Pretty much just means a sysadmin who can do some programming. That's essentially it. Which applies to most engineering positions which makes it retarded.

I am a neet but I remember getting chewed out in school for wrong think. If you fucked up and ruined a project yeah you might get justifiably chewed out and might be out of a job. But surely if its unjustifiable the culture isn't to just take it like a chinese salaryman, right?

>As i understand, devops people should literalyl make a pipeline for devs so they can push code on a press of a button
>But, the question arises, why the fuck such system isn't already in place in companies?
Commit code, instantly all sorts of tests are run to make sure it does what it is supposed to. Push another button and 5 vms are spun up and the application is deployed and configured, the logs are added to a search engine, and a load balancer is automatically reconfigured to direct requests to the new node.

Flip over to monitoring and you already see graphs getting generated.

Push another button and it all goes away.

I mean that's pretty impressive automation. Think back in the day that shit would have taken some dude all day and before that there might have been 2 admins just to maintain a cluster of app servers.

basically the opposite. I go to work and get chewed out for my work ethic all the time.

I've learned to never buy a book unless we must do problems from the book and I can't find it online.
>the Internet is my textbook
I'm about to get my associates having only ever bought two textbooks

Both of which I technically didn't have to but it the teacher made it sound like the grade was based on whether I read it or not
>wrong

I was typing up a bunch of shit but let me just try and say this:

devops = sysadmin + programmer
sysadmins typically have some coding ability anyway, but good devops is like an elite sysadmin, they know a lot of tech and systems architecture and can learn quickly
maybe we don't ship client facing code, but we touch literally everything that allows a dev to develop and ship client facing code.

>looks dope in the daytime
>at night no curtains, cant sleep cuz sasquatch is watching.

Considering I take troubleshooting calls from you guys (I work for a firewall vendor's TAC center) , this sounds like the sweet life.

Mind you I can't complain too much , working problems constantly with firewalls and networks shows you how shit really works in the end.

can you explain what benefit is there to deploy apps to VMs or containers. I see the recent trend is to include containers as much as you can, but i don't understand why? Where's the need to have 20 containers each filled with different web server or something like that?

>learned to never buy a book
Get this friendo, new copies run 200 dollars and are vacuum sealed. They contain a unique serial number you attach to your work before its considered valid.

>tech investor
>wake up
>make brekkist
>eat brekkist
>check my holdings
>read reddit and hackernews
>maybe do some chores
>maybe go hang out with other techies
>make dinner
>eat dinner
>maybe some games or animu or reading
>sleep

I had this discussion with one of my senior backend devs the other week

I have absolutely no explanation as to the benefit of one vs the other. Containers are the new fad, and you could say that they make it quite easy to package and ship code i.e. the container itself, but this can be applied to a VM the same
they are similar in use cases but different in infrastructure and server management

Only thing i can think of is resources. Containers take a lot less resources than VMs

you literally pack / schedule containers onto a single host (VM / hardware)
just like you would put many VMs on a hypervisor cluster for resource balancing

at the end of the day it's hardware level virtualization vs os-level virtualization (kernel abstraction). I think a key difference is that a container is supposed to do one thing and one thing only, e.g. it's single entrypoint to run a single process.

You should try Australian universities

Literally every lecture and public presentation given has to start by
>We acknowledge the traditional owners of the land and the people's that used to inhabit this land. We acknowledge that these have always been places of learning and teaching and Aboriginals continue to play an important role in our institutions
What the fuck have abos done for CS?

Deploying apps (especially recent Node apps) benefit exceptionally well with containerization.

First of all, you avoid all sorts of dependency issues. "Works on my machine" is a real issue, devs have no idea what is on their box and have different runtimes/redistributles of different versions and such. Packaging an app with the dependencies it needs allows you to never have to worry about that.

This one is more specific, but containerization is great for microservices (especially for performant APIs). You can run Alpine Linux with a NodeJS service and containerize the entire thing under 40MB. Heavy load? Have your load balancer spin up five more quick containers. Super easy and less expensive than a full fledged VM. Since they are isolated, you can configure their network state and do what you want with it.

From a security standpoint, if an app has an issue (Say a buffer overflow that allows control of the system) the container will pretty much halt any attempts to get outside. Oh, you have control of my container? lol k, let me kill it and spin another one up, it only starts in a second.

A lot of it is use case specific but the benefits on dependencies alone are worth it.

you guys must work for some shitty companies

i had to take an english comp class during summer for credit reqs and we were literally going through 50s batman comics looking for examples of homoeroticism. i paid 300 for that class. i did get to see some 18-19 year old girl not understand how glass double doors work and break one pulling it the wrong way. good show but still not worth 300 dollars.

zack b?

Take this from someone who works for a major publisher of college/university books

The instructor cant do shit about the pricing. It's the number one thing I'm asked about and the answer is no it can't be changed 100% of the time. Also it's the bookstore that marks up the book after they buy from us so you should air your grievances with them.

Price aside you can find everything on libgen. The only time you need to "buy the book" is for online components that are graded which will happen a lot more moving forwards. You can buy individual access to the online components for significantly less than the book and just torrent the text if you need it. Or just pay attention in class and don't be a retard and you won't need it.

The exception to this are the reference books in some stem classes. Those will be useful for work your whole career. But if you're actually going out any buying any programming language book you should drop out and reconsider your life choices

look at
This particular case I argued with the instructor until he let me pass the class without the workbook code. also it was a cell bio online class they wanted you to buy a 35$ work book and a 30 dollar "lab" kit which was more like some kids playtoy. i ended up just with the workbook and 5th edition textbook which i bought for 2.56$ on barnes and nobles paperback. just simmed the labs. people are getting fucked so hard on this stuff. either they get debt or they blow their parents money away. a cell bio class has no business being near 600$ at a community college.

Yes I've heard of Pearson and other Jews milking every shekel out of students.
>you bought the class
>you bought the supplies
>you bought the textbook
>NOW YOU HAVE TO BUY YOUR HOMEWORK *purchase of new textbook required

I hate them so much
I hate them almost as much as professors who force students to buy their expensive books.

Previous editions work well
Often they're the exact same just reorganized.

Son, I listen to prof talking about people like you every day and I'm telling you the facts. The code that is vacuum sealed with that book isn't assigned to you, and it works on a website that is 3rd party (read:publisher) run and keys can be purchased through the authentication process. I've worked for the 4 large publishers over the past 15 years and they're all the exact same.

This is not an opinion, it's how the world works. I can't help that your a retard who takes everything teacher says as fact

Is the major CIS actually worth it? What can I actually do with that degree as an associates? Asking because I just jumped into this shit for college

Kentucky?