Hi Sup Forums. I've recently decided to start picking parts out for a mid-range gaming PC that I plan to build...

Hi Sup Forums. I've recently decided to start picking parts out for a mid-range gaming PC that I plan to build. I have most parts picked out, but I'm having trouble making a decision between two CPUs:
an AMD - FX-4350 4.2ghz 4-core processor for ~$60
and an AMD FX-6300 3.5ghz 6-core processor for ~$80

My main question here is which CPU is more bang for your buck, and which one can perform better overall?

I plan on having a dual-monitor setup, and running a game on one monitor (mostly Runescape) and a browser/Discord or whatever in the other.
If you have other recommendations in a similar price range feel free to share.

Also if this thread doesn't belong here then I'll delete it.

get whatever CPU then make sure to install Gentoo for maximum performance

Why would you go to FX chips for a mid-range build? Also you could just ask this in the PC building general

>Still buying FX parts in 2017
It's a dead socket user, no upgrade path and shit single thread performance.

That's all I found that was decently cheap and had good reviews.

Also for some reason pcpartpicker is not showing any Intel chips.

Any recommendations?
Would I need to find a different mobo as well?

You can buy board+i7 3770 for ~$150 on eBay. Way better than old dead FX.

T H I S
H
I
S

Ryzen 3 comes out tomorrow

Literally this

Or just wait until GPU, SSD, and RAM prices return to normal. Now is a subpar time to build a computer.

get intel pentium g4560 instead its like $80 and its a modern socket

I can sell you an fx-6300 with mini-ATX MOBO and 8GB DDR3 for $110.

If you have to have it now then the G4560 is the best value. If you don't need integrated graphics then probably Ryzen 3 would be the best bet once it releases. Either way, FX is pretty much pointless now except in the case that you already have the board or you can get it for next to nothing.

Why would I bother with a modern socket when, once built, I will NEVER touch the thing again unless something breaks?

Less than 5 hours runtime.

You will be disappointed with those two choices very quickly.

Why, exactly?
I'm not trying to resist, I'm genuinely curious is to why this is.
I'm new to this kind of stuff so I'd like a good explanation.

FX uses bulldozer which is much maligned as the worst CPU architecture AMD ever came up with. Ryzen 3 is based on Zen architecture which is a zillion times better and will cost $100-$130. And it's being released tomorrow.

Why is Zen better than Bulldozer? Is it because of the pins are susceptible to bending and breaking, or does it have something to do with the data transfer?

It has nothing to do with any of those you mention. It is because of the CPU architecture of Zen is far better than Bulldozer Architecture

>Why is brand new technology better than ancient technology which wasn't very good when it was release ~5 years ago?
Well for one, Ryzen uses less TDP, making your system quieter and cooler, helping system lifespan and system performance.
For two, Ryzen has a better upgrade path. That is, when AMD improves on Ryzen, you could get a newer even better CPU if you want.
For three, there have been many improvements to I/O (input and output) since Bulldozer. M.2, SSD, SATA 3 proliferation, USB 3.0, 3.1, and USB C are choices, instead of basically just SATA 2, less SATA 3, and USB 3.0.
For four, if anything bad happens to your new/recent hardware, it's much easier to RMA something.
Finally, people say "Ryzen is better" because it has better IPC, which means you get more performance for each MHz of your CPU. There are a lot of other, little things, which make modern CPUs much preferable to an old CPU.

The only reason to build a computer with Bulldozer is : > FX is pretty much pointless now except in the case that you already have the board or you can get it for next to nothing.

That's actually a great explanation.
Thank you for taking the time out of your day to educate me. I really appreciate it.

>uses less tdp

You have absolutely no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Enlighten us.

You know exactly what he meant, stop being a pedantic autist for just one second please

Sure, I meant to say "is rated for a lower TDP" but you couldn't be bothered to say that instead of shit posting could you?
Why don't you correct me next time instead of pointing out a mistake and not fixing it? Even better, just KYS.

He/you have a fundamental misunderstanding of what TDP actually is if he/you're framing sentences as "it uses less tdp".

He/you has certainly googled it by now so as to not lose anonymous Sup Forums cred, but he/you certainly shouldn't be giving others advice if you're this ignorant on the subject.

Stay mad.

When he said "TDP", he meant wattage.
And I didn't use Google.

It's fallacious reasoning and an assumption of knowledge to say that he does not know x concept due to an error of wording. I can perfectly understand a concept and attempt to convey said concept in a less than optimal manner due to other variables that would have to do with how one communicates.

What's more likely?
1. I know that Ryzen has less TDP than Bulldozer but don't actually know what TDP is.
2. Bad grammar in one sentence out of many.

>He/you has certainly googled it by now so as to not lose anonymous Sup Forums cred
What you call anonymous Sup Forums cred I call knowledge. For the lurkers, this means you should do your research before posting.

I even corrected myself here Yes, I meant wattage.