/pcbg/ - PC Building General - budget edition

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>G4560/G4600 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/dq7jVY
pcpartpicker.com/product/DM7CmG/western-digital-black-pcie-256gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-wds256g1x0c
reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/6pp7vt/cpu_ryzen_5_1600x_169_228_25_coupon_2989_through/
m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814125871
pcpartpicker.com/list/kPHg7h
pcpartpicker.com/list/kvktf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/2w7J4C
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Thats a awesome toaster. Want one...

pcpartpicker.com/list/dq7jVY

Thoughts?

i want a list with a budget of 650 dollars that has a GTX 1060 6GB.

can someone help me?

How do you guys like to sell your old parts?

>selling your backups
shiggy

usually i just go on the street and put the parts around a random hobo and he gives me a few hundred

Yes, you can.

Stumble through part picker then come back here

A few hundred stabbings?

>AMD

>keeping a bunch of old crap around "just in case"

If I ever need a "backup" it'll arrive in under 24 hours via Amazon Prime.

nah he gives me hobo credits
i exchange them at the hobo store for general goods

fleabay or local classifieds (craigslist/kijiji)

what two crossfired amd graphics cards would have similar performance to a 1080?

>spending more money one something you already own

That case comes with two pre-mounted 120mm as rear/top exhausts with room for 2x120/140mm in the front or a similar radiator.

Factor those in. I ended up moving my top exhaust to a front intake.

>"making do" with that 8800 GT you've been hoarding for a decade

So this is how the poor live... woah...

Look men, we have an Intel fag.

rich people are smart with money though. A trait you obviously lack

I do, but every time I try to do it, it goes over.

I also want DDR4-3000 memory and a Ryzen 5 1500x processor.

Those two factors make it overpriced.

No, jews are smart with money.

You are obviously a jew.

The mantra of the poorfag.

Do you already have a GPU? Build something decent now then drop the 1060 in later.

ryzen 3 is coming lads, feel it?

Get the vanilla 1600.
Replace your SSD with this one.
pcpartpicker.com/product/DM7CmG/western-digital-black-pcie-256gb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-wds256g1x0c

reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/6pp7vt/cpu_ryzen_5_1600x_169_228_25_coupon_2989_through/

Too much to explain, but yea.

Some of my friends are considering Ryzen, but don't want the whole upgrade path at once.

An R3 could undercut the price greatly, especially if desktop APUs, and get them an upgrade-proof system.

>rich people are smart with money

this is the biggest poor person meme that exists

yes rich people spend more money than you on literally everything and somehow still have money left over because they are "smart" with their spending

you don't get rich by throwing away your nickles

m.newegg.com/products/N82E16814125871

This GPU worth getting? I've been waiting for amazon to ship my other MSI 1070 but it doesn't look like its gonna happen, almost 2 months... Been struggling wanting to upgrade my damn gpu.

You won't ever be rich if you earn nickles, smart spending or not

you don't get rich by throwing $700 at newegg everytime your GPU shits the bed

Go R5 1600 go Asus on the board and a 144hz monitor just pick one.

you keep making moot points

rich people can replace their GPU every month

the r9290x and rx580 seem to be similar when in crossfire
is there a single amd card that's on par with the 1080 in price and performance?

Laptop gets too hot when I compile anything, it's unpleasant. I want to offload all the heavy development-related stuff to a local server.

I'm too lazy to build a PC from scratch, but maybe you can recommend me a powerful pre-built PC with i7 that I can use as a local server?

So if I buy a modern mobo, my DDR3 is trash?

Why does it have to be an i7 for compiling?

I'm debating between building a G4560 build:
pcpartpicker.com/list/kPHg7h

and a ryzen 3 build (ryzen 5 is a placeholder):
pcpartpicker.com/list/kvktf8

Is there anything I should change? I want to have something to run most games but it doesn't need to be maxed out. I would like to keep it under 600 though

I just bought a ryzen 1600 did I fuck up. People are telling ryzen is a meme now.

Everything is a meme. Intel is a meme, AMD is a meme, building a PC is a meme, buying a pre-built from Best Buy is a meme, etc.

Read the OP.

P L S
R
E
S
P
O
N
D

your life is a meme you idiot manchild

I wish it was black friday. I need a new monitor.

fyi, jet.com has $40 off electronics that are $250+

Go 2x4GB and try to get a higher RAM frequency

I've /seen/ complaints about asrock and corsair CXMs, but don't know how they hold up

I want speed, obviously. Is there anything faster?

No, wait for vega or buy a gtx1080

Ryzen isn't shit, but it's not near as good as it's been hyped up. It's been shilled so hard here and everywhere else lately. Coffee Lake is probably what you should have waited for.

didnt it benchmark the same as the 1080 but it's a stupid amount of money?

Do you need MOAR CORES or single-threaded performance?

Single thread is more important.

R5 1400 or 1600 for 1080p 60Hz gaymen?
Why didn't anyone reply to me last thread? Did I do wrong?

i think a 1400 would be good enough
i was planing on getting a 1600 for 1440p 75hz

Listen, incessant Ryzen fanboys, im seeing that the 1700 scores lower than the 1600X in some games, which is because of clock speed i assume. Can i OC any 1700 just as high and have a better CPU in every regard, or do the two more cores hinder OC possibility?

All Ryzen 7s can go to 3.8-4.1 depending on your luck.

Silicon lottery my dude. Odds aren't in your favor for trying to squeeze single core performance out of a MOAR COARS design.

So an 1700 will always be better in every regard than an 1600X, once OCd?

reminder that the rx vega wont cost as much as a 1080ti because sweden is rich and retards are assuming swedish prices will apply internationally

Is the phanteks enthoo pro m a good case? Or is acrlyic a meme?

Yep that's a case that'll hold all your components, alright.
Seriously though, as long as the thing isn't universally panned as a shitty case then it really just boils down to your personal taste and budget.

>find newegg combo deals with huge discount across 6-7 parts
>always the worst cases ever

I like the NZXT Elite tempered glass case better. But yea, most cases are good. Just be careful on size.

yes. modern mobos use DDR4 standard memory

>build PC
>everything boots fine, but no OS obviously
>go into BIOS to see if everything is okay
>CPU - 63c
PLEASE TELL ME THIS IS NORMAL AND JUST THE BIOS TESTING IT

I originally wanted the nzxt s340 elite but it wouldn't be able to fit my CPU cooler

The graphics card just lowered in price, I'm about to press buy

pcpartpicker.com/list/2w7J4C

How shit/meme is it?

The BIOS is clearly spyware, uninstall now

fucking 2017 and can't even POST without a bitcoin miner shitting it up

I would get the 1600 non-x and just overclock it.

but user all Sup Forums ever taught me about spyware removal was deleting system32, yet I haven't even installed windows yet

what's a really good heatsink? i got the money to spare.

Can someone finally answer me if crossfire works in a VM id youre using a ryzen CPU? amd and intel dont use the same type of virtualization.

Anything with poo fans, or something like a Dark Rock3/Dark Rock Pro 3.

someone? anyone? I am not a clever man

Hey guys, I am in the need for a new processor and I'm tied with the AMD FX-8350 and the FX-8370. Is the FX 8370 really worth the little amount of extra money, compared to the 8350?

it's real
amd cpus use mini black holes to suck away heat

Check if thermal paste is properly applied, it's a very bad sign if your temps are that high.

Cryorig r1b ultimate

R Y Z E N
1 6 0 0

>-63

shit

Am I a moron for building an amd 8350 build? (Currently have 6300)
I want to run win7 but keep reading ryzen won't let you -- thoughts?

there was plenty that came with the ryzen 5 CPU fan, and it was pretty well spread-out without thinning out too much. not home right now to take a picture

Also 1050ti or save for 1060? (160/290)
Thanks in advance.

Just get 10 Enterprise LTSB

There are workarounds to get windows 7 to work on Ryzen and Kaby Lake.
There are 2 big problems with it.
1: Windows 7 does not include USB drivers for Ryzen/Kaby Lake
2: Even if you get it working, Windows no longer updates the OS if you have Ryzen or Kaby Lake.
There are solutions to both these problems. Someone else will post it though since I'm a Windows 10 bitch

Why run win7? Install gentoo

I think it's a hyphen, not a minus sign.

Trust me, if I could use a Ryzen I wouldn't be here. My motherboard is uncompatible and I don't wanna buy a new one.

run a linux distro then windows 10 in a vm
not sure if you can run 7 in a vm

Time to upgrade grandpa. Hell, I just got on an R5 1600 after being with a Phenom 9750 for years.

Unless you're one of them libreboot guys who intentionally gimp themselves in pursuit of false freedom.

Is the Gigabyte G1 1070's improvements over the first version literally just more fans and LEDs?

You're going to have to upgrade to a new socket sooner or later my dude. It may not be this generation's CPU, but it will happen.

Any difference between 2.5 inch and M2 for SSD if they both use SATA?
Other than form factor obviously.

Cooling

How do you mean? Do SSDs get hot? Which are better?

M.2 usually sit under the gpu

It's a Universal (that's the brand name) toaster from 1928-1929. Most toasters of the era were like that before the Toastmaster was released in 1926. It looks more like a conventional toaster. The downside is for all it's beauty it doesn't toast both sides nor does it shut off automatically; you can easily turn bread into charcoal if you're not careful. Last I knew there weren't any Universals for sale but when they turn up it's usually about $100-$200 for one.