Hey Sup Forums i'd like to start with my first linux distribution, what do you recommend...

hey Sup Forums i'd like to start with my first linux distribution, what do you recommend? can u recommend books to understand how the distribution works too? i'm a beginner

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fedora. Google pictures of "GNOME", "Xfce" and "KDE" and decide which one you like the most.

Are you a nigger? Then manjaro. If not gentoo or debian

Just go with Ubuntu, large community and fairly easy to use which is good for a noob. and don't switch to anything else until you know how linux works and the differences between each distro. People are going to meme you and say "Install Gentoo" and shit like that, Sup Forums is a meme board so don't expect too many serious replies.

I don't have any book recommendations, but youtube videos on how to install / use Ubuntu are plentiful.

It used to be debian for many many years, systemd now, you also got derivates that do a bit more for you like
or mint, I would start there if I were you and worry about systemd later

If you need to be spoonfed this hard then your don't deserve to use Linux

Also:
>Sup Forums is NOT your personal tech support team or personal consumer review site.

Read the wiki you fucking mong
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Yea gentoo oughta keep a noob around...
Use Ubuntu or Arch or any distro derived from those.

Install gentoo.

puppy linux
no stress, no commitment, not much of anything really

this guy is an asshole, don't listen to him. 90% of the Linux community is very helpful. I installed Arch as my first distro to "jump in the deep end" so to speak. It took quite a while to get used to, I think the biggest hurdle was getting used to the command line interface, but once you get accustomed to it'll be so much easier than a Desktop Environment. I recommend installing Debian (which is more down to earth than Arch) without a DE so you can get accustomed to the nitty gritty of Linux.

I'm using Debian testing stretch + Gnome. It's all right.
After 3-5 days of using it you'll already feel like an expert.

Ubuntu or Fedora. Those are beginner friendly. Another good option is openSUSE.

Just try them live from an USB drive.

Don't install Arch or Gentoo, it's overwhelming.
Use Ubuntu or something derived from it or fedora. Personally I'd use fedora but its just preference.

also, ubuntu and debian forums are the best resources to learn linux. Also I would like to retract, about 50% of the linux communty is helpful.

Fedora sucks if you want to use anything proprietary like any normal person.
arch wiki is no worse.

Ubuntu, not because it's generally good, but because all of the others have noob-unfriendly attributes about them. Once you get around to getting used to package managers and the such, go Fedora.

I don't recommend Fedora for a noob because they keep potentially patent-encumbered stuff out of the shipped OS and it's repos. So by default you can't watch movies and the such, and until Fedora 26, you couldn't listen to mp3s. You'd have to add rpmfusion and install the codecs yourself (the list of packages needed is quickly available by a quick Google search "fedora x264/x265 codec"). In Ubuntu it's just a checkbox during the installation process.

Debian is also good but the very fact that you have to go manually looking for your wifi card's driver (because most of them are proprietary, and Debian deblobs their kernel) and put it on another flash drive scares away noobs. Also you have to upgrade to unstable to get not-moldy packages, also not noob friendly.

start w arch, won't make sense at first, give it an hour and you'll be expert

Let me help you.

I wouldn't recommend any of the ones on your image. Ubuntu is so bad that you'll never want to use Linux again. EentOS is for servers, not regular users. Mandriva is a bit dated. Suse is weird. Not bad, but not recommended. Mint is ok, but works so well you won't learn anything. FreeBSD isn't Linux. Gentoo is hard as fuck. Slackware is slow as fuck to add new shit. Debian is made by freetards and won't support all drivers correctly, so I'd advise skipping it until you've got more experience.

My advice is to do an Ubuntu Minimal install. If you don't know what something is, google it. You'll end up with a system that runs better than a janky Arch installation, but requires you to actually learn shit.

Am I missing something with the ubuntu wiki? It doesn't seem to contain much.

Like, the forums have a lot of the issues that I get worked out, but it usually just comes down to copy and pasting a command with no real explanation of what's going on.

I'm an ubuntu noob and have been trying to find a resource for developing a better understanding of how to really use linux.

I'd say you could start with Ubuntu just fine. OpenSuse, I think it's OK too. Same for Fedora. Manjaro is fine too. Mint is fine too.

The most noticeable difference between those is the package manager I think. Ubuntu uses apt-get which is cool, opensuse I have no idea, I think it's yum, fedora I think it's apt get too. Mint I think it's yum. Manjaro uses pacman and AUR, which on my opinion is the best package management system out there.

But Ubuntu has less compatibility issues

Arch is a pretty bad distro with a shit community but they do have one thing, a damn good wiki (turns out autism leads to good wikis). Just replace pacman -S with apt-get install. Also look up a tutorial on how to read manpages, once you understand how they are formatted they are super informative.

This is the only correct answer.

Downloading Xubuntu 17.04 as i type. What am i in for?

I'm not good with computers, but i want to try and replace Windows, and ideally migrate everything to a completely free system.
What are the TOP 10 things i should do once i fall for the Lunix meme?

anything except ubuntu meme

I would recommend Ubuntu. I used it as my first Distro. When i tried to switch to arch, i realized, that you can do almost everything with every Distro. Don't listen to the Arch and Gentoo fags here. Ubuntu gives you a good experience. In my case, it ran way better than Windows 10. The only thing i think is shit about Ubuntu is Unity, so i would use Ubuntu Gnome or wait for the next Release.

I would go for Ubuntu or Linux Mint if I were you.
Like another user said, Google pictures of KDE, Gnome, MATE, Budgie or whatever and pick a Ubuntu/Mint spin based on which one you like.
If KDE, KDE Neon would be a good choice, for Gnome Ubuntu Gnome, if XFCE Xubuntu, for MATE or Cinnamon, Linux Mint is always a good choice.
If you're german, ubuntuusers.de is a very helpful wiki, not sure about the English Ubuntu wiki though.
I actually distro hopped quite a lot and in the end settled for Ubuntu. It's easy to use, not too bloated and if you fuck up something, there's always help to be found.

I recommend keeping this in /fglt/

Just use some basic distro like Ubuntu and then learn to do everything from the terminal, try to use almost no GUI programs. When you are a little familiar with GNU/Linux, study LPI learning material.

Ubuntu until you get tired of it. Then use Fedora and wonder why you waited so long.

The fuck does fedora have over ubuntu besides that retarded foss agenda?

mint + cinnamon

mint cinnamon if your computer doesn't suck

mint xfce if it does

Yea like most people, don't be afraid to use ubuntu as a first time, get a feel for the command line, then you can move onto a more minimal distro like debian/arch. Youtube videos are your best friend

This.

debian xfce

>overwhelming
For you.