/mkg/ - I HAVE A MECHANICAL HAND

>post your memes
>my new coworker has a topre board it's nice feeling
>I use buckling spring but i like topre feel is this what it's like realizing you're gay

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/13544510
kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/keycaps/products/zero-dye-subbed-keycap-set-104key
kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/keycaps/products/japanese-dye-subbed-keycap-set
aliexpress.com/store/product/pbt-Front-Printed-PBT-Keycaps-oem-profile-Laser-Etched-Front-Printed-Legends-top-printed-white-grey/3034003_32822589894.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for gay

OLD THREAD
I promise I'll clean my act up

stupidest thing ive ever seen in my entire life

is this more your style?

whoever made these keyboards doesn't seem to understand the concept of ergonomics

>ergonomics
Glad you brought that up

do you just shoot the keys? Also is it a thing to be a filco user + gun collector or is there one dude on here that just has a ridiculous arsenal

Need a bit of advice I think.

Currently using an 810 with those Romer switches but tried out a K70 with Cherry Reds at the weekend and really liked the feel of them and the K70 itself. I type and game a lot, would I be better with Cherry Browns or would Cherry Reds be what I need? Thanks

for gaming and stuff that require a lot of tactile response I'd actually go with blues over reds. browns are slightly more tactile still than reds but blues are really responsive

romers and browns feel somewhat similar. if you want reds then get a cheap keyboard with them first that way if you end up not liking the lack of tactile feedback you won't feel bummed out

From (late) previous thread...

I need new keycaps. Mine are all shiny like this. Shiny keycaps are fucking disgusting to touch.

Here's my list of requirements:

- cheap (don't want expensive $100+ Massshit caps)
- PBT (don't want them to become shiny again)
- Cherry profile (I know it's not the best but it's what I'm used to)
- have legends. in English
- darker in coloration (so if there's some small amount of dirt, it won't show up).
- enough keycaps for a TKL (don't need a fullsize)

What does /mkg/ suggest? Thanks so much gents.

EnjoyPBT has some of the best PBT keycaps you can buy, but they are pricey at ~70 bucks. There are cheaper sets at around 40 bucks if you want cheaper printing. If you want dirt cheap PBT then get tai-hao since those sell for around 20-30 bucks, but the quality isn't as good

>TaiHao
yeah, but are they cherry profile or OEM?

I bought some $70 dsa pbt keycaps, they were noted for their powder grit. STILL SHINY TURNS OUT I'M JUST OILY. might wanna make sure this isn't your real problem. are you typing with french fry hands because there is only so much pbt can do for you

Weird I it should've been included in the post, but I was gonna say you can also buy ducky PBT keycaps, but I'd get the dye-sub sets like one the one rather then the doubleshots.
Tai-hao uses their own profile

Not him, but I do have a condition where my skin is very oily, and the PBT keycaps on my model M still aren't shiny even after three years of heavy use. But IBM PBT keycaps are on another level compared to chink PBT

I've got a G&B ducky one 100%, I am still getting nominal shine after 8 hours a day of use :(

see i'm the OP poster, thats my M and it has a bit of shine on some of the ANSI keys. none of the white yet though... could be a dye issue? idk

also +1 unicomp, buckling spring > *
manufactured in America, built to last :)

>manufactured in America, built to last

Is that why Unicomp insist on using old shitty moulds for their parts?

>they were noted for their powder grit
YES, that's what I want. Gritty keycaps don't slip and feel nicer. Which ones do you recommend?

Are all chink PBT keycaps gritty?

And please, give me links to some cheap (~$50 if possible PBT cherry caps). Thanks.

PS: I know DSA is all the rage, and deservedly so.. it's a good profile that can accommodate customization, but I want cherry because I've used cherry for 10 years and my hands are used to it too well. I know that if I was forced, I'd accommodate after a week but I don't want to.

Interesting since I have a white and grew ducky one and after 1 year of use the keycaps haven't developed any shine yet.

But the biggest issue I had with it was the dye would bleach.

SURVEY TIME: Favorite Keycap Profile

strawpoll.me/13544510

With all the talk about profiles, let's see what /mkg/ prefers.

Vote: strawpoll.me/13544510

kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/keycaps/products/zero-dye-subbed-keycap-set-104key
or with bonus meme points
kbdfans.myshopify.com/collections/keycaps/products/japanese-dye-subbed-keycap-set

Mine is IBM :^)

pick other my good man and I'll tally it here as +1 vote for IBM.

I'm probably oily. Also dying keys is fun and easy.

here is a perfect example of how iDye poly dye is in every way superior to RIT liquid dye. RIT yeah sure you keep the legends, but you boil your pbt for hours to only get a few shades. 1 minute in some RIT and your key is completely dyed.

It's just the one guy who apparently collects both. All I've got is a hunting rifle and a shotgun but I don't take pics with my keebs because, you know, not related.

Is amazon the best place to buy a japanese HHKB, or am I better off importing it from japan?

>japanese HHKB
You want the Kana buttons and jap legends?

Not really. I like the layout since it doesn't have all that wasted space

they make JP ANSI?

hmm... so you want just a regular HHKB pro model with english legends? Go whoever sells them cheapest then. See EliteKeyboards.com since they're the official Topre website.

>they make JP ANSI?
see pic.

oh shit, didn't realize their was HHKB ISO thats p-cool. Of course I wouldn't know that though I live in the greatest country on earth

But elite keyboards doesn't have JP HHKBs, amazon does tho.

Thanks user!

I have another silly question for all you experts.

So I found a PBT keycap set in OEM/Filco profile for fucking $9.50 (not a typo). Nice legends at and it's dark grey in color.
Cheapest Cherry PBT I managed to find is $50 like this user above linked.

How different is OEM from Cherry? Judging by this pic, it looks really fucking similar. I'd feel stupid paying extra $40 for something I can't even tell the difference.

What should I do /mkg/? Cheap out, go for OEM PBT and if there's any difference, get used to it or just pay extra $40 for Cherry profile?

My keyboard has an f row and numpad, is it /mkg/ approved?

Doesn't surprise me since you can get get doubleshot PBT keycaps for 10 bucks. Just make sure they aren't pad printed or laser etched since the legends will wear off pretty quickly if they are

>no delete key

>Doesn't surprise me since you can get get doubleshot PBT keycaps for 10 bucks
Is that worth it user? And do you think there's much difference from OEM and Cherry in your opinion?

I put it on fuse+backspace

what model of the keyboard is that?? never seen it myself.

What board is that it looks pretty sick

Another korean 1800

TX-CP

Cherry>OEM, but it really doesn't matter. just go onto aliexpress and search for PBT keycaps. You'll find more then you can count

Thanks dude

and keycaps?

>having a caps lock key
>having keys that just do what other keys already do

caps lock cucks are really the worst people

gee bill, two keyboards, etc.

DSA Hyperfuse

Is there any way or replacing or stiffening up stabilizers on a remade board without taking the whole thing apart?
>webm related.

It's not caps lock, the legend just says that. Dedicated push to talk key because I'm gamer trash.

Is there any way of replacing or stiffening up stabilizers on a premade board without taking the whole thing apart?
>webm related.

Are PCB keycaps worth it?

I know literally everyone is going to yes because this is /mkg/, but trying to get them is severely limiting the choices I have for a new board. Is there a long-term noticeable difference based on feel? Is it worth it to just get the board I want and buy them later? Why the fuck are they so hard to find?

>PCB keycaps
lol wut

*PBT sorry, those other ones sound awesome though

>Why the fuck are they so hard to find?
>PBT
I hope to god you're just dumb
Anyway ABS keycaps will end up looking like and pic related after a few months of heavy use while PBT won't. Plus if you get white keycaps they wont yellow like those old ABS ones

I'm currently trying to decide between Model M and HHKB Pro 2.

I've never used a buckling spring before. Is it comfortable if I'm going to be spending the majority of my time programming, or should I just go with HHKB?

How do you people make do without and F-key row?

Do you like loud keyboards?

Noise is not a factor for me

on another layer

Is it just a durability thing then? Do they feel any different compared to ABS? Also everywhere I checked is sold out or absurdly expensive.

I would say the model M then. Its pretty damn nice to type on if you don't have baby fingers.

>Also everywhere I checked is sold out or absurdly expensive.
Stop looking for them on amazon the choices there are limited. PBT is a much softer and smoother plastic compared to ABS so they differently feel different. You can get cheap PBT keycaps for 10-15 bucks

h-haha, y-yeah... baby fingers.... good thing i have the hands of a m-man! haha...

Would you mind expanding on that?

simple:
layer1
layer2
layer3
and some keyboards have layer4+

What about cubic profile? Or XDA? Or Matt3o Hi-Pro? Or Topre Hi-Pro?

>You can get cheap PBT keycaps for 10-15 bucks
Where do you buy them? I can physically find them but my problem is they all kinda suck. I'm just looking for a conservative set of keycaps and they're all crazy colors with weird legends.

You press and hold a "function" key that allows other keys to do different things.
So you would press: Function Key + 5 key = F5

how many layers are you on right now bro

never tried any of these. which ones do you prefer user?

I don't know like 5 or 6

>conservative
You mean like white and beige or all black?
if thats the case then how about
aliexpress.com/store/product/pbt-Front-Printed-PBT-Keycaps-oem-profile-Laser-Etched-Front-Printed-Legends-top-printed-white-grey/3034003_32822589894.html

I wanted to try cubic, but its only ABS which sucks. Also XDA>DSA.

Those look great, thanks!

Anyone know where to get (about 10) Matias Clicky switches?

I bought a keyboard from mechanicalkeyboards.com and it has a bunch of broken switches, I live outside the US so can't send it back or get it repaired. They gave me a refund of $10 and told me to go fuck myself pretty much, they also don't have any of the switches in stock themself.

did you try matias?

Good suggestion thanks.

But seriously, I think they only offer them in bags of 10, I didn't try contacting them directly though. Might try contacting KBP about it also to see if I can get some free ones.

Bags of 50*

i really like it. dsa profile w/ really big legends thats great

My 8 year old Noppo Choc mini, red switches and POM plastic.

shitty camera sorry.

Also need to replace one of the switches I tore off on accident and lost. I've also been considering switching some of the key caps out however I don't know which type of plastic besides POM I should consider, I do not want ABS however. Any recommendations?

Also I'm aware I need to clean it lol

Then do it! Right now, in this thread.
Post pics

My enjoypbt weebcaps get here tomorrow!

٩(^ᴗ^)۶

I will deliver.
these good for the job? pic related

Toothbrush yes, but the wipes could leave unwanted residue all over your board.
A very lightly damp rag with a super small amount of dish soap (optional) will do fine for keycaps if you want to do it kind of quick. Also compressed air works for cleaning the inside quickly once the caps are off.

Am I missing something here? Where is the spacebar? Do japanese not need it?

i piss on my caps and they are pristine lysol and this other fools suggestion will not give you the results you want. abs and pbt need the time and care of urea

Please post a detailed video explanation and demonstration! I only want the best for my keyboards.

Those are just custom keycaps. The keyboard is fully programmable with several layers. Its still a big meme tho

kill it before it lays eggs

Is it common to get a full desk mouse pad for mechanical keyboards?

My keyboard makes a bit of a clunky noise when on my wooden desk, whereas it's more clicky when I type with it on my lap or something which I prefer.

Would a mat help with this?

Yes. Source: I had the same problem.