/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

mclements.net/Mike/mrc-blog/blog-140615.html
amazon.de/innenpolitischem-Kopfhörerverstärker-koaxialer-Schnittstelle-Audiogeräte/dp/B00NLYMYCY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1501146376&sr=8-6&keywords=dac
aliexpress.com/item/Partaker-B5-Business-Office-Mini-Pc-with-5th-Gen-Intel-14nm-Quad-Core-N3150-Processor/32550695648.html
audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I prefer on-ear.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

What if I do also enjoy edm and the occasional Kanye track?

Recently, I've been getting super into Yunomi's stuff. Will I still enjoy it?

I fucking love my HD600s, the lack of treble and bass is perfect. After all anything above 3Khz is ear rape and anything below 200hz is for niggers.

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

ER-4XR are the extremely accurate ER-4SR with a bit of extra bass.

And a $400 pricetag, unfortunately.

Someday, user, someday.

H-hey, c-can I join in the spam too?

Tree fitty actually.

C A D

>bags of homo milk

What's the best way to power both headphones and speakers at the same time?

I'm using an AV receiver right now but I hate how I need to have a "ghost" monitor in order to use it properly due to the HDMI input it needs. Are there any good USB headphone/speaker amps?

Bags are better. It's like, reloading the milk. Also more efficient in every way.

I prefer this over his spam. Please post more because yours is actually true.

HD580

Such TrustyFucks. You'd have to be a silly goose to hate on them.

So I read a bunch of reviews that say DT990 has really forward mids.

Only if you ignore the ear-piercing highs.

I have DT860 now, can't really get much more treble.

poor little nobass hd600s can't compete

When your Bluetooth headset stops being discovered (can't pair), what are the chances it fixes itself later? It's my first BT headset and my phone and computer just can find it, no matter how many tries I've tried to pair it again.

pic is my headset

Those reviews are objectively wrong. DT990 has no mids. Too much bass, way too much treble, no mids.

Let us know what reviewers said this so we know never to take them seriously.

KZ ZS5 with KZ Bluetooth cable. 3-5 jour battery just werks.

Modi 2 Uber + Magni 2 Uber VS O2 Odac

fulla2

God, the Matrix M-Stage is such a good fucking amp for the price. I got mine for $200 and it gets pretty close to the thousand dollar amps I've heard.

If you enjoy a slightly sweet/warm sound, absolutely get these. They pair extremely well with bright headphones.

Audiophool alert.

Okay then, keep enjoying your mediocre Schiit stack that costs the same amount of money.

I didn't know enjoying a good deal was reserved for audiophiles.

Who said anything about a shit stack, you audiophool?

It's by far the most common combo used here.

>audiophool!!
>you audiophool!
>how dare you pay $200 for an amp/DAC combo!
>audiophool!!
lol. You people are demented.

what in-ear headphones do i get if i love the sound of HD 598's? will use them mostly with phone and netbook

>If you enjoy a slightly sweet/warm sound
So what you're saying is it's fucking shit because it doesn't accurately reproduce an audio signal.

I think I found the answer to my own question.

I want an amp where when my headphones aren't plugged in audio outputs through my speakers. Looking at the Magni 2, they have TLR audio outputs. Does that mean by connecting them to two active speakers that I can accomplish what I want to do? One of you guys must have a setup like this. Does it work fine?

There is a slight distortion to the sound. But many people enjoy this.

It's like how some people like to add sugar to everything they eat, even though you might think it's fucking gross.

>Some say you don't need an amp/DAC
>Others say you need a amp/DAC for 200$ each
why is this such a circlejerk?

Because everyone is biased and stupid, to either extreme.

I don't think anyone needs a $5000 amp or special pressure treated cables. But amps in particular offer different levels of power, and most of them color the sound to some degree. Listen for yourself and find out what's empirically true.

By the way, $200 each for an amp/DAC is sadly not that much.

What is the most technologically advanced headphones, that rely on technology developed in the last 10 or so years?

Right. So it's shit. Thanks for letting us know that we shouldn't buy it since it can't accurately reproduce an audio signal.

How do i clean these earpads?
I can't put them in water because i am afraid the glue will dissolve.

Sure, if that's what you like.

Because it is inexpensive, accurate and powerful enough for most headphones out there, you moron.

What other amps have you even tried? I'd bet money on 'not very many'. The Magni/Modi is not accurate, not any more than most amps in its price range of $200.

You seem very arrogant despite clearly being narrow-minded and not fully acquainted with the field. Grow up retard, you're not that intelligent lmao

>The Magni/Modi is not accurate
Prove it.

I remind you, moron, that the person who brought up the shitstack is no other than you.
>Grow up retard, you're not that intelligent lmao
kek. Now, kindly fuck off to plebbit, where we don't have to read your incoherent ramble.
>inb4 he suggests some other inaccurate PoS of an audiophool amp.

lol, you wanna play pseudo-scientist from your room? Then you prove yourself first, burden of proof is on the original claim in academia. You must be able to since you were confident enough to call me a moron!

I'll give you a hint, compare the Magni/Modi responses to actually neutral amps like the Meier Corda Jazz
mclements.net/Mike/mrc-blog/blog-140615.html

or the Bryston BHA-1.

This is why /hpg/ and Sup Forums as a whole sucks, so many posters are incredibly arrogant and unfriendly while being unintelligent at the same time. Real trash community rofl

>can't read

>I remind you, moron, that the person who brought up the shitstack is no other than you.
?????????????
I brought it up to say that it's not as good of a product as people think it is, a claim that I still maintain? What are you even saying?

You legit have a mental illness. Peace.

>actually neutral amps
heh

GR07

>Budget
>Location
USA
>Source
My computer. i'll get a dac and amp if its necessary for it though. ill just have to save up more
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Good
>Sound signature
Flat
>Past headphones
I am currently using the SHP9500s

>Type of music I listen to
Lots of 60s rock and 60s pop some 70s rock
Synth Pop and New Wave aswell.

My MDR-1RBT's pulled the same shit out of nowhere.

I just reset it, restarted the phone and suddenly it recognized it.

I would remove other bluetooth headsets paired with the phone as well just to be sure.

>300
>open
>flat
HD600.

The HD600 is good for most of those genres, just keep in mind it has somewhat weak bass and a pretty smooth sound signature overall.

What would be a good dac and amp for it?
Would the Schiit stack be better than the Fulla 2 for the HD 600?

HD600 is high impedance and lower-than-average sensitivity. This means the ratio between output impedance and headphone impedance is going to be high, so you won't run into FR problems, at the very least, and your computer's volume range (thanks to the low sensitivity) is going to have a wide enough useful range (vs everything is too loud).
TL;DR: You don't even need an amp. You *might* benefit from one, but at least in theory it's plenty possible your motherboard output is going to be good enough.

HD650

I'm biased because I own a bunch of expensive headphones, but I wouldn't even buy a dac/amp for a mid-fi headphone.

Just get the Fulla 2, the Magni/Modi isn't the most amazing thing in the world and low price is the key here.

N o i s y

I should get an amp shouldn't I?

Are you sure the Fulla 2 is enough to power the HD600?

Using DT990 pro powered by the onboard audio on a gigabyte X370 gaming 5 right now
How much difference would upgrading to something like this amazon.de/innenpolitischem-Kopfhörerverstärker-koaxialer-Schnittstelle-Audiogeräte/dp/B00NLYMYCY/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1501146376&sr=8-6&keywords=dac , or something in a similar price range (

Your computer is likely enough for the HD600.
Fulla2 is a good starter dac+amp. It's said to distort a little with the HD600 at the highest volumes, but that's something you'd never know if you didn't have another amp to compare it with.
If you feel like you can't trust your computer, just grab it. Should you ever need more power, you can chain the DAC out to a Magni2 or some other plentifully powerful amp. This is a popular option around /hpg/, as there's quite a few regular posters that have such a setup.

aliexpress.com/item/Partaker-B5-Business-Office-Mini-Pc-with-5th-Gen-Intel-14nm-Quad-Core-N3150-Processor/32550695648.html

Would you trust a chinkshit computer?

>Budget
240$
>Location
Sweden
>Source
Motherboard/Computer
>Type of headphone
IEM or Fullsized doesn't really matter
>Open or closed
Closed for the fullsized if recommended one
>Comfort level
Good
>Sound signature
Not sure
>Past headphones
Logitech G930, they keep loosing signal and just want some regular headphones without the mic

Please stop mentioning csg in your OP or I'll always post my chinkshit stuff in here accidentally.

>just thinking the other day about how durable my beyers are
>pick them up
>hear a snap
>look at the side
>both sides have small cracks

.. :( really

k712
dt880
hd650

You will still like the etymotics better, the bass is there but it's very balanced compared to most consumer headphones.

Nothing wrong with kendrick lamar either, it's just that his latest album was heavily brickwalled to the point of clipping especially on the bass sections. It's a complete contrast to his other work where it had a really polished, high fidelity production like mAAd city.

If you want flat closed or in-ears go shure. Get whatever you can for your money. You won't regret it.

Anyone have custom IEMs? Can you lie your head flat on a pillow, eg in bed? with them or do they cause pain?

What should I even do

They're still "fine" but obviously it will break eventually at this point. I wrapped some tape around it so hopefully they'll stay in place for a few days until I can sort things out

Do you think they'd ship out the repair part to me instead of me having to request a full RMA?

>hd600
The one to get.
>k712
Not flat: v-shaped
>hd650
Not flat: dark, bassy, mid-forward
>dt880
Beyer's attempt at flat. Less treble-rape than usual. One or two tiers below the other suggestions.

NFB-11.28

audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm

*serious inquiry*
I want to buy new headphones.
Which headphone should I get, HD600 or K712?

Tell me why you would choose one over the other.

>HD600
Fidelity (they're quite neutral). Comfort (as expected on Sennheiser).
>k712
"fun" rather than fidelity (they're v-shaped). Powerful, "good" (whatever that means, I'm no basshead) bass. Not as comfortable, because AKG.
Full disclosure: I own and love the HD600. I'm no poorfag, and I'm curious about the k712, which I intend to get in the future.

>Comfort
>HD 600

>Beyer's attempt at flat. Less treble-rape than usual. One or two tiers below the other suggestions.
>anti-Beyer shitposter

Yes, they're quite comfortable.
After a few days of use, that is. The clamp did crunch my skull during the first days.
There was serious physical pain on my first day, lasting long after removing them. I endured, because they sound Oh So Good. Put them on at 18h or so, started trying stuff from my fb2k library, and at 2-3am I realized the time and the fact I hadn't had dinner yet. That good.

>he has shit motherboard audio

>After a few days of use, that is. The clamp did crunch my skull during the first days.
>There was serious physical pain on my first day, lasting long after removing them

>HD 600 has been on the market for over a decade
>Still causes skull crushing pain out of the box

But I guess Sennheiser wants to jew people for 90 dollar handband replacements if they get impatient and try to fix the comfort problems

Note I'm an autistic fuck and I'm overly sensitive.
Most HD600 owners I've talked with had absolutely no trouble whatsoever. Even without doing any of that "stretching" thing.

Some people are more sensitive to that kind of thing. I was getting headaches from the small amount of pressure being put on my jawbone until my headphones loosened up a bit. Now I could wear them all day without issue.

I'll pick up the MK5, then. Thanks for the advice.

>So much talk on fidelity yet so little on the circle of confusion
It's almost like /hpg/ doesn't know how music actually is produced, what a shock!

"Schiit" Fulla 2? More like SHIT Fulla 2, with all the QC issues it has. Schiit won't even respond to my e-mails about it anymore.

You gonna enlighten them, or you gonna shitopst aimlessly like everyone else?

I ordered the K7xx, and those should ship today. I have some old HD650s that are like 7 years old, and I might sell them and just buy a new HD6xx.

>ear dildos

>tfw fell for the fulla 2 meme
>adjust volume and hear static

t-t-thanks

Yeah, all the reviews mentioned comfort issues. Can't afford custom tips, so I'm fucked with that, I guess.

HD650 or HD600?

Comply foam tips.

Either one; only a slight difference. Depends what you like. Can't go wrong with either one. I personally prefer the 650.

>liking muddy nigger bass

HD 600

>HD650
>nigger bass

???

HD 600 has the perfect amount of bass, anything over this is nigger bass territory.

>today i lost my all time favorite sansa clip+
>check the prices
>MASSIVE INCREASE
>oh god

Is the Clip Jam any good?

I really hope that tomorrow i will find my stuff at work or i will throw myself head first into something. My Etymotics as well are in the players pouch. Aww jeeeeeeeeez!

Which songs to test your headphones especially to show them to people who have no reference except their car hifis?