Favorite GNU/Linux OS

What's your favorite GNU/Linux distro?

>tips fedora 26
It just werks

But... but... systemd...

Debian. I run testing on all my desktops and laptops, and stable (Jessie, soon Stretch) on servers.

G E N T O O
E
N
T
O
O

>stable
T
H
I
S

F U N T O O
U
N
T
O
O

trisquel. feels good to be free

Source Mage is bash hackers dream.

Source Mage GNU/Linux

CloverOS

People are telling me to change distro. But give me ONE reason why I SHOULDN'T use Debian Sid/Unstable.

Arch

Programming PenguinOS

Ubuntu and Slackware.

Ubuntu makes life with Programming Penguin easier. It's kinda stable and I have an easy access to new packages via PPAs.

Slackware is installed on my notebook. I love how much freedom and control it gives to a user. It could be a bit more modern, though but I guess ancient packages is a must of you want a stable server like system.

I always hear that Slackware is great but why? It uses KDE4 and a package manager without auto resolving of dependencies. There is nothing great about it.

this.

>KDE4
Yep, that's a horrible and outdated DE. Don't know why Slackware uses it as a default alongside XFCE.
>package manager without auto resolving of dependencies
That's kinda of the point. You install everything manually, therefore you know everything about your system. BUT! There is a thing called Sbotools that automaticly installs all the necessary dependencies for a package. That's a great thing about Slackware - it can be anything you want it to be. And I actually find it easier to setup then something like Debian so it would just werk.

Devuan.

Arch Linux

on life support, all over once Jessie support ends.

Fedora.

Been really liking manjaro.

This. Manjaro gnome is just about perfect.

arch and debian. That's it.

I Mike arch

I'm actually on KDE myself.

QubesOS
Its Fedora + Xen Hypervisor

What happened to Tux's mouth?

Debian.

With KDE Plasma desktop.

Slackware

>gets out of the way a lot
>barebones
>you do have a choice of package managers
>kde is irrelevant for stability anyways, even kde neon, a distribution dedicated solely to keeping up with kde5, has trouble not being a buggy mess
>ofc if you still want kde5 on slackware you can install it, just not during the distro install, you have to work for it
>choice of init system, which is want you want if you care about init freedom, not just gentoo or void or soemthing that allows a single alternate init
>everything is v close to upstream so distribution specific documentation, everything put out by the software itself generally applies
>can be more stable than any other distro if you set it up that way

there are some reasons not to use package managers too
>in a way package managers are botnet
>tell server when you are updating and what packages you need
>with slackware you aren't going to any single source to get your software from
>you also know exactly whats on your system
>politics of getting a package onto some central listing

its p useful if you're already having to download multiple versions eg alpha stable and outdated versions of packages from the projects site
you could do that kind of thing of debian fedora ubuntu etc, but i feel its kind of seamless with slackware. i dont have to do that kind of thing anymore and i mainly use fedora 26 workstation minimal from netinstall now, but when i did, it felt proper having all source-built. for a while, anything else felt like i would be doing the personal equivalent of what mint does, ie making a giant mess with no order, like how they have some ubuntu packages some debian packages and some of their own packages and if they name their own package the same as whatever is in any of the other two repos they just override it so you cannot download that shit

it gives a lot of control to the user in short which is really use fully but only really useful if you can or care to take advantage of it. if someone is trying to choose between two distros like slackware and gentoo, they should try both. in all reality they probably will find gentoo better, but slackware certainly has a place for some

basically, you could tweak debian or any distro to work the way you want or you could start from a very small very stable base

Gentoo, what else? Very configurable, sensible default settings, easy to write packages for, excellent for dev work.

Void by far

Gen2 for the past 7 years

Ubuntu or Fedora, I do like having up to date software.

DELET THIS

Kali Linux (debain core)

This one

Debian's my favorite Linux distro.