/pcbg/ PC Building General

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R5 1400 - Cheapest quad core you can get (Ryzen 3 soon)
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

jet.com/product/Intel-Core-i7-7700-Kaby-Lake-Quad-Core-36-GHz-BX80677I77700-Desktop-Processor/730c82b1cbf7463794f308eea4a85eac
pcpartpicker.com/product/n2JwrH/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-dt01aca300
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822235012
windowsreport.com/battlefield-1-high-i5-cpu-usage/
pcpartpicker.com/list/c6x3pb
pcpartpicker.com/product/nJGj4D/gskill-trident-z-rgb-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-4266-memory-f4-4266c19d-16gtzr
youtube.com/watch?v=osSMJRyxG0k
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025164
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025516
pcpartpicker.com/list/b96HM8
pcpartpicker.com/product/JYxfrH/rosewill-power-supply-capstone750m
pcpartpicker.com/product/R7V48d/seasonic-power-supply-ssr650rm
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Am I set? Can I find a more price efficient SSD or is what I have fine?

My computer cuts power completely and stays powered off until I power him back on (this happens while gayming and after replacing my R9 270X with and RX 480).

Is it the power supply? I have a VS 550 (I know, it's shit quality) and a 6600k.

that R3 1200 really slipped in there quick

>Can I find a more price efficient SSD
Yes, but it wouldn't be NVME, or if it would be, it wouldn't have the same performance.

1- If I'm not going to overclock, and am sticking to stock cooler, would it be better going for the 1500X over the 1400?
2- My current cooler has no AM4 bracket (Be Quiet Pure Rock), so would it be worth it shelling out another $50+ for a cooler, or would it be better sticking to the bundled Wraith? I'm currently waiting for an email response back from their support team about whether or not there is an AM4 bracket for this or not.
3- As someone with an Athlon 860K overclocked to 4.6GHz at >muh housefire voltages, it being 4 (((cores))), should I just be a cheapskate and go for Ryzen 3 1300X? Main uses will be editing stream highlights for a friend (get paid to, so fuck it why not), and some light >muh so I can't imagine needing a Ryzen 1700 or something like that.
Currently at a fresh slate for a new system, and mainly considering Ryzen since upgrade path and cheaper than an Intel counterpart.

I am almost ready to order my parts for my Ryzen build, but am at a crossroads:

Right now, there's a combo deal where I can grab a 1700+X370 Taichi+16GB G.Skill F4-3200C16D-16GTZR (Hynix A-Die), where my total will be $850.

However, I can pick up a 1700+X370 Taichi+16GB G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GVK (Samsung B-Die), and my total will be $900.

Is it worth $50 to basically have a "sure thing" 3200MHz for my RAM? I couldn't care less about RGB LEDs.

>R3 1200 - Budget builds (

Eh, gets them on a Ryzen upgrade path.

try running something in the background that requires cpu usage with your 2C i3.

That's a user-specific interest.
The performance would tank on an R3.
Modern games utilize all of the performance an R3 offers. Nothing is sitting on the side unused.

You are confusing the R3 with an R5.

>That's a user-specific interest.
Then maybe it should be noted alongside it.

What CPU and GPU do I buy to run League of Legends and Overwatch at 144hz?

League seems to be more CPU bound. I'm on an R5 1600 with a GTX 1050 and my FPS fluctuates only with the CPU speed.

That's acceptable. Still offers poor value in games compared to the Pentium, however, and ought to be noted in the OP. Upgrade path is certainly longer and can be considered.

The 3 series get about the same FPS as an i3, and you still get an unlocked CPU and 2 more physical cores.

What modern game drives an R3 to 100% utilization? Are you going to pair an R3 with a 1080 or with a 460/1050?

Sup Forums help me choose for my gaming/vegas video editing build. You can suggest other parts as long as it will still be within the $80 Pentium G4560
>$110 MSI B250M Mortar Arctic
>$160 Zotac 1050 Ti OC Dual Fan
>$80 HyperX Fury 2x4 2400 8gb
>$60 Sandisk Plus 120gb
>$50 WDC Blue 1TB
>$70 Seasonic M12II 520w
>$40 ATX Midtower Case (Local Brand)

Option B ($720)
>$110 Ryzen 3 1200
>$100 AsRock AB350 Pro 4 (ATX)
>$160 Zotac 1050 Ti OC Dual Fan
>$130 TForce Dark Pro 2x8 3000 16gb
>$60 Sandisk Plus 120gb
>$50 WDC Blue 1TB
>$70 Seasonic M12II 520w
>$40 ATX Midtower Case (Local Brand)

i bought the r5 1600 and i can see some impurities at/under the thermal paste pre-applied to the stock heatsing, looks like some cloth fibre or some shit
i've got no thermal paste to apply myself onto the cpu and wipe the stock cooler clean
should i attempt to remove these impurities with tweezers or is it okay?
can get a pic if necessary

>The 3 series get about the same FPS as an i3, and you still get an unlocked CPU
Which requires a B350 MB to utilize. Are we adding the cost of B350 over B250? Because that's another $10 minimum.
So the 1200 that's supposed to be an obvious pick over an $80 Pentium now costs $120. That's a 50% increase in cost, without a 50% increase in performance, even overclocked.
>What modern game drives an R3 to 100% utilization
Any game that uses 4 threads. Which any modern game will. Have you not seen what happens to i5s when gaming? If you are running activities in the background, that will definitely take a bite out of your FPS. Unlike the R5 which can mix and match core activities with SMT more easily.

Is a 250 gb ssd good enough or do I have to have at least 500gb if I want to have a few games on it considering the size of games nowadays

It's not mandatory to OC your R3.
Also, let's say you spend 200 USD on CPU/MB.
That leaves you with about 250-300 USD for the rest of your components.

Please don't tell me anyone would consider making a PC with a discrete GPU with less than 450-500 USD, unless we're talking about used parts.

What game is so heavily influenced by CPU (if the GPU isn't bottle necked by it) apart from GTA?

Its been like 2 months. How much longer till GPUs are affordable?

Yeah ssd prices are pretty shit. But keeping it Samsung is best. It works well with ryzen for some reason

I7-7700 for $250. Should I do it? How does it comepare to the 7700T

jet.com/product/Intel-Core-i7-7700-Kaby-Lake-Quad-Core-36-GHz-BX80677I77700-Desktop-Processor/730c82b1cbf7463794f308eea4a85eac

here's the pic

That crap will make zero difference. You can always go buy some thermal paste at BestBuy for like $5 if you're really worried about it and want to drop your CPU temps by a few degrees by not using OEM paste.

They won't make much of a difference even if removed desu.

If you want to buy a TIM, consider Noctua's NT-H1.

What about new am4 apus? I hear they weaker than g4560, but their graphics far superior than intels. Is that true?

pcpartpicker.com/product/n2JwrH/toshiba-internal-hard-drive-dt01aca300
This or this?
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822235012
I don't getr the 5400 or 7200 RPM. Is there any noticeable difference? Just storage for my music, installers, movies, etc...

>It's not mandatory to OC your R3.
A meager $10 savings doesn't change the poor value equation.
>Also, let's say
And now the bargaining begins.
You could have also spent this money on an i3 in months past, and yet, nobody every suggested it. For the same reason, the R3 is bad value. Not particularly surprised that an AMD drone would suddenly find i3 performance at i3 prices a great deal, after months denigrating it. Pick up a G4560, and save yourself the money, or put it elsewhere.
>Please don't tell me anyone would consider making a PC with a discrete GPU with less than 450-500 USD
Actually, people would do so regularly before GPU prices spiked. But if you think that's unwise, it doesn't help the R3, given the lack of iGPU.
>What game is so heavily influenced by CPU
Every single modern game makes use of 4 threads. And once you start cutting into it with background apps, it becomes stutter-heaven. This is already known with i5s.
Or have you forgotten the innumerable pictures of ridiculous i5 utilization across game suites online? Or their paltry minimums? This has become public knowledge. A game like BF1 destroys 4T chips in any setting.
windowsreport.com/battlefield-1-high-i5-cpu-usage/

When does it cut out?
Also >>>>/sqt/ (stop talking shit check link below)

Yeah you should check its. for its price people should seriously consider buying it rather then older cpus
Personally I'm going for ryzen 1600 as its got reasonable future proofing. I'm not a heavy gamer obsessed with muh framerate but its nice to have a sharp video display. $200 isn't going to kill you.
But if you really wmthinking of cheaping out cheap this thread. They're discussing r3 and have some pretty benchmarks to look at

I'd say go for the Samsung. Apparently Samsung and ryzen work well together 3200mhz is worth it to push in that little extra performance.
>$50
What are you? An amdpoor

the T should perform worse than a 7700, but you will be able to use a less beefier cooler with the T variant.

the T suffix means that its an undeclocked, undervoltaged CPU, in order to improve its thermals.

pcpartpicker.com/list/c6x3pb
planing to get another 8gb stick for 16 gb ram later
gonna wait for the price of GPUs fall and buy either 1060 6gb or a 570 (whichever is better bang for a buck)

I'm using my i5 4440's hd4400 igpu for LoL and I have to turn the settings down. Was fine with my shit gtx650 that broke sometime ago
Just saying

self bump

thanks lads
that's gonna be my first build so wanted to be sure
i'll leave it like it is for now, can always change the paste at some later date

/sqt/ wasnt much of a help.

It cuts out when I'm gayming and with not even with that demanding games (e.g. War Thunder).

Also, sometimes when WT launches, it does the same thing.

The card isn't OCed.

I don't know much man but ryzen is best for video editing. The Pentium is ancient now why not keep up with the latest. Also doesn't the ryzen come with it's own fan? Why are you buying a $160 fan for a low end performance CPU. Looks like your wasting your money

Any recommendations on a cheap B350 board?

Don't care about Overclocking, going to be for a stock mid range build so doesn't need to support insane ram speeds. Don't want shit like the graphics card blocking PCI-E or SATA slots.

that $160 fan is the GPU, the fuck

is this b8?

Whoops. :P

>GPUs still expensive as fuck
when will this cryptomeme finally end?

pcpartpicker.com/product/nJGj4D/gskill-trident-z-rgb-16gb-2-x-8gb-ddr4-4266-memory-f4-4266c19d-16gtzr
can something like this be made to emit only a single, uncommon color rather than multicolor?

when the jews shut it down because they dont have centralized control over it

I can guarantee it will end exactly one month after you buy an overpriced gpu

What's the best paste? What temp differences can I expect? Does it really matter?

Reminder that the AMD AM4 APUs are soon available to buy. Price likely to be

>pic
how??!?

Probably depends on how willing you are to transfer games between drives regularly

As long as I can keep my saves also I don't use steam

This is just the beginning.

What is the best video card I can buy for $250

Probably could get a 1050ti

>Bulldozer
>2017
Go away Lisa.

As I mentioned earlier, Noctua's NT-H1 as long as thermal grease is concerned.

Liquid metal is off the table since it corrodes copper and wouldn't make much of a difference anyway.

plz

ANYONE?

Tomahawk MSI b350 like $80-90

Those aren't even $250 though

A beautiful future free from the evil totalitarian NSA-worshiping Americans

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ good lucj
>I can guarantee it will end exactly one month after you buy an overpriced gpu
You got make the sacrifice for us user. I'll reimburse your courage

I'm crawling from under the rock to ask whether it's finally time to upgrade from my i7 2600.

Is it? Will I get hueg gains if I get a zen?

>tfw can afford everything but a new case.

Just mount the mobo to a wall on a piece of mdf, it's what I did.

youtube.com/watch?v=osSMJRyxG0k

I already have a case from a previous Build. I just wanted a new one.

>when the manufacturer uses his ballsack to apply thermal paste

Go smaller then. My personal opinion because I'm a Jew and would go with the 256 cause 500 isn't necessary yet

>implying that the pc appearance is relevant
A that matters is performance per buck user

Might as well do that and shill more on the gpu with the current prices I might have to

Some people just want the best thing on the market

Depends how much money your willing to toss
Dude the prices are like double everywhere. You'll be practically aiding and abedding in your own robbery if you purchase. Be patient dude. If desperate people like you keep buying they'll never drop prices. Might even decide this is the new price margin

Nah you misunderstood me I am waiting (have been for the last 3 months) but I doubt the gpu prices will ever return to their original value

Time to finally upgrade from 1080p144hz. I'm thinking I'm going to do this:
Samsung 31.5" 1440p 144hz freesync newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025164
with a double stack mount like pic related
and a LG 29UM69G-B newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824025516 mounted above it.
The samsung is 28.5" wide and the LG is 27.7" so there will be only a .7 inch difference in width and that's split between both sides so .35 on each side.
Then if I wanted I could put an ultrawide in portrait on a separate arm next to them and that would be pretty fucking crazy but I'm not gonna do any shit like that for a while.
I think it's going to be awesome.
The other option is to get two cheap small 1080p monitors that are ~16.7 inches wide and mount them on both sides in portrait mode.
Opinions?

Me 2. Be strong brother. Another 3 months

Is it worth buying i5 6500 along with a new mobo, if I only care about gaming?
I can buy it used, way cheaper than any Ryzen in my country

how much is a used ryzen?

pcpartpicker.com/list/b96HM8
Ordering everything except the GPU today. Anything you guys would change?

What is the purpose/have you considered ryzen/etc.

Mostly CG work with a bit of gaming. I've considered the CPU, but it seems like you get more for less with Intel?

Have seen really few of them and none was even close to the price of used i5 6500s

Is a 1050ti enough to run FFXIV, Overwatch, Gook MMO and newer AAA titles at 1080p without dipping below 60? I'm tired of waiting for the prices on GPU to lower and I honestly don't want to pay 500 dollarydoos for a 1060/580.

>but it seems like you get more for less with Intel?

More research I guess. Not very experienced with hardware.

The first three, probably. The latest AAA stuff? Not a chance unless you lower a lot of settings. I can't even run everything maxed out at 1080p with a GTX 1080 and stay above 60fps.

try scraping together a similar ryzen build, then compare benchmarks of software you plan on using

>pcpartpicker.com/list/b96HM8
Get a better PSU.
Either of these
pcpartpicker.com/product/JYxfrH/rosewill-power-supply-capstone750m
pcpartpicker.com/product/R7V48d/seasonic-power-supply-ssr650rm
The Seasonic has a better fan iirc.

Also, you are paying out of the ass for a 1060. Just be aware the GPU market is totally fucked.

I have these specs right now:
>i5 4690k
>gtx 770
>8gb 1333 mhz ram
>z87-g45 mobo
Seeking to switch maybe one part soon. I don't play games, mostly compilating and (really) casual rendering. Overall OS speed and responsiveness would be cool, so maybe more ram and move more stuff to tmpfs? What would you do?

Go for the Ryzen.
It gives much better performance for your video editing, and for gaming you are limited by GPU anyways so any advantage pentium has is non-existent.

GTX 1050 Ti can run those games 60fps easy but you need to use medium/high settings.

Those specs are already massive overkill for general desktop work. If you don't have an SSD, that's the only thing you could do to improve responsiveness. More RAM will only help if you regularly max out your current setup.

Honestly, those pubes are going to do fuck all in terms of your thermals. It's not like half the heatsink is covered in aluminum filings or some shit.

People still haven't bought my $500 RX 480 so that's something

Hmm I guess you're right, thanks. Just wanted to throw some money at it to keep it somewhat recent because I bought everything 3 years ago

Dude a case is like the cheapest part of the whole build.

Sure thing.
Thx. Isn't AMD announcing their gaming Vega cards at Siggraph this Saturday, though? That should help a bit, yeah?

If Vega mines as well as RX 500, it's not going to help at all.
That's assuming Vega will be worth buying to begin with, which is questionable.

Its only 20$ more than the pentium, can get a really cheap a320 if you don't want to overclock and according to all benchmarks is more powerful

im prob going to take the 1400 out and replace it with the 1300x if i get the chance to op the next thread sine the 1300x in most cases is better for the price

out of what? your current build?

the OP, it doesn't belong there anymore, their are now cheaper quad cores