Retro thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=usteZMJgDx4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

he should get a mousepad

Neat :-)
Rate mine

still a bit fresh

New monitor for my Quadra 650, a Apple Multiple Sync Display 15".

Hotel near Japan (abandoned in 2006, photo from 2014)

Also a new monitor for my Amiga 600.
Mid-90's Acer. Such an aesthetically pleasing monitor

Do want!

I still havent bought a matching keyboard. Not pictured is the last gen iBook or 4th gen ipod.
I want to get some older apple stuff, but the prices online are insane.

A shame that all those faggot youtubers probably fucked up the place by now.

The Golden Age of PCs: Windows 95 - Windows 7

Then both software and especially hardware went to shit.

funny how this was synced with ~the smartphone revolution~

That keyboard ain't too bad though.
You want this one?

Well, first came affordable laptops...

Smartphones are really pleb tier.

I dont have a PO box any more so sorry, no.

There's a video of some "e-celebs" in an old hospital, fucking up old computers

Tbh, tablets did more damage.

you guys mean netbooks

wat

laptop and netbook weren't dumbed down to user IQ40 levels. they either ran xp/7 windows or ubuntu.
smartphones and tablets introduced the biggest wave of dumb as fuck user interfaces

I don't get it. Why isn't there a single beige box on the market these days? There are obviously a lot of people who dig the aesthetic.

no, the interfaces are touch optimized and smart, to work with dumb users, they are just too simple for you to like

500 people aren't "a lot" in manufacturing terms, user

Kek

apple's success and women who like glossy clean shiny surfaces

B-but user, wouldnt you rather have a sexy slim glass and aluminum all in one? I-its not like it will get covered in fingerprints! Who even touches their computer anymore!

Abandoned computers have a special vibe that tickles my autism JUST RIGHT.

Still a work in progress trying to diagnose the CRT issue. Hope to get it running sooner or later.

It's dead, Jim

that optiplex must have a sick uptime

Is it really abandon if it has power and people in it?

>ABANDON HOUSE WITH FURNITURE AND POWER AND THE FAMILY IS JUST OUT ON HOLIDAY

I'm still so glad I was able to pick this one up for 5 bucks.
The seller was even so nice and discarded offers by others (offered 30 bucks) until I was able to show up and pick it up.
Didn't get to buy a new printing cartridge yet but it is in fucking PRISTINE condition. Almost no yellowing on the case.

5 years ago a clambook could be grabbed for $30

The fuck not it is.

>Flyback still works
>System still responds to input
>Filament still shows signs of life
>No visible blown caps

If anything it's probably the HOT that needs replacing, I just need the proper test equipment before I start pulling out components and replacing them.

too brutalist

There should be a neoclassical biege.

I wish they still made computer cases like this.

Theoretically with 3D printing or even some basic tools you could create one of these in a couple hours yourself.

Most cases new and old are just one metal box and a plastic front face. The rest can be painted fitting the shade of the front too.

k, make me one, how much?

Isn't the quality of 3D printers still pretty bad? I'm thinking of the blocky pattern that forms on the surface of the printed object.

look into sla 3d printers (you can make one with a projector if you're poor)
they have a much higher resolution.

Just find one with a front panel you like and paint the case beige. That's what I'll likely do whenever I finally build another computer, along with finding a case that works well in a horizontal position.

How much does a decent 3D printer cost now days anyway? They seem neat but my biggest worry with getting one is that I wouldn't have enough projects to justify it.

>I'm thinking of the blocky pattern that forms on the surface of the printed object.
Then fucking sand it smooth. Just because you have a 3D printer doesn't excuse not doing any finishing or involving any other fabrication methods (particularly annoying with the people who make the 3D printed guns directly out of plastic).

>Apple will never GPL the source for old versions of Mac OS
Why don't companies GPL or at least release the source for their old software that's no longer supported?

Because MINE MINE MINE

does uh... does the toilet work?

I went to that page, and ... thanks for the laughs hahaha

But does it matter when it's particularly old software that they don't support anymore on dead platforms? Unless they just threw out the source code or something.

They are idiots and at the same time wanted to create clickbait.

In fact a big part of that building is abandoned even with water leaking everywhere but some floors above are still in use (for whatever)

>born and raised in beige era

Call me a pussy faggot but man i'm not going back there. I've had enough lugging around crt for lan parties during quake 2 era.

yes, he has invisible plumbing, cant you tell?

Cute monitor, where'd you get it

Mine's cuter.

Here's what you're greeted with every time you log into an HP-UX system:
(c)Copyright 1983-2000 Hewlett-Packard Co., All Rights Reserved.
(c)Copyright 1979, 1980, 1983, 1985-1993 The Regents of the Univ. of California
(c)Copyright 1980, 1984, 1986 Novell, Inc.
(c)Copyright 1986-1992 Sun Microsystems, Inc.
(c)Copyright 1985, 1986, 1988 Massachusetts Institute of Technology
(c)Copyright 1989-1993 The Open Software Foundation, Inc.
(c)Copyright 1986 Digital Equipment Corp.
(c)Copyright 1990 Motorola, Inc.
(c)Copyright 1990, 1991, 1992 Cornell University
(c)Copyright 1989-1991 The University of Maryland
(c)Copyright 1988 Carnegie Mellon University
(c)Copyright 1991-2000 Mentat Inc.
(c)Copyright 1996 Morning Star Technologies, Inc.
(c)Copyright 1996 Progressive Systems, Inc.
(c)Copyright 1991-2000 Isogon Corporation, All Rights Reserved.
Obsolete commercial operating systems are fuckin' full to the brim with not-so-obsolete IP licensed from other parties, it's just not worth the time, money and potential legal hell to GPL a dead operating system for a dead hardware platform nobody gives a shit about, especially when it isn't going to do much for it anyway just like the GPL did fuck all for CDE.

Something like Apple's System 6 shouldn't have that many copyrights attached, does it?

Probably not nearly as much, but it's possible. In that case it's probably more just a matter of a lot of effort with not a whole lot of interest. System 6 doesn't have that much potential as a basis for new projects, there's nothing hobbyists really need the source for, the newest piece of kit it'll run on is nearly thirty years old, the list goes on.

From my limited lurking around, it doesn't look like most of the limitations facing hobbyist developers today with these operating systems would change that much with the source code available. Maybe it could improve emulation or homebrew hardware development or something, though.

Right in the middle school.

>From my limited lurking around, it doesn't look like most of the limitations facing hobbyist developers today with these operating systems would change that much with the source code available. Maybe it could improve emulation or homebrew hardware development or something, though.
I know Linux doesn't have drivers for the Macintosh floppy drives, so it would make Linux more useful if you wanted it on one of those machines.

>comfy
>omfy
>mfy
>fy
>y

a couple hours? try a couple days, buddy boy.

I used to have two of the 21" versions of those running off a Matrox dual-VGA card. Not as cute, but what a picture!

>How much does a decent 3D printer cost now days anyway
A few hundred burgers, maybe? cnx-software dot com has been reviewing a few of the most recent chink specials, albeit mostly just RAMPS+steppers+80/20+hot end kits.

>you can make one with a projector if you're poor
Commercial assembled DLP printers are getting pretty cheap these days. Anyone have any experience with the one mentioned in Pic related?

That's something that definitely plagues a lot of those platforms, SGI systems are great examples too. Source would definitely help, straight up hardware documentation would be even better, there's no question about that. Still, at least the NetBSD port seems usable enough, it's just very lacking as a desktop.

I like my stuff, but the past belongs in the past. Any new attempt at a beige box would just feel like a trashy reproduction to me and it wouldn't really feel at all the same. It's the entire context of the system that makes it novel and interesting, not just the color of the plastic.

optiplexes either die young or never die
These are currently still running a local pizza shop.

I always like these thread - thanks for the memories.
This was the first machine I owned back in 1991. I bought it second hand from my uni. Cost me $400.00 AU then, which they let me pay back at $10.00 per week.

It has been a doorstop at a pal's house now for around 19 years

>It has been a doorstop at a pal's house now for around 19 years
I dont know why this made me laugh so much

This guy collects a lot of old mainframes and computers. He's currently trying to get an old Cray j98 up and running
youtube.com/watch?v=usteZMJgDx4

>*nasal laugh* ahahah why do ppl collect paintings when u can just download the jpg it does exactly the same thing ahaha :-)

>wooden mousepad
badass

Everytime I see this case I get more depressed that I'll never have one.

what a bunch of reddit crap

comfy

Yeah man, watched his videos. His SGI stuff videos are great with all the problems he had.

..t..take me back
i'm crying

I miss when "file sharing" also included notable text files.

man, that power LED is really bright, maybe you should add an resistor

Him trying to get data off those j90 hard drives was such an adventure. I'm glad swapping logic boards worked out for him.

Man the fuck up, there's no place in /retro/ for pussies

I hate how people destroy old tech, like C64 to put a Pi inside, justifying "it was a dead board, bro".

There are no dead boards. Just lack for knowhow and interest.

>i'm so funny
>i'm so obviously historically uneducated

But think about how funny it'll look to have a """"""C=64"""""" playing Spectrum games.

How craaaaaaaaaazy!

Remember to subscribe and donate to my Patreon!

Buy it yourself and fix it if you care so much.

Gut-and-replace has become such a large part of the market that people now sell broken computers at insane prices for it.

>broken RETRO computer
>£500

Repair and sell it fixed for a higher price then.
Could make some good money if you actually have the knowhow and interest.