Enjoy your bloated language

Enjoy your bloated language.

Other urls found in this thread:

quantnet.com/threads/why-is-c-good-for-quantitative-finance-top-3-reasons.1116/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Thanks, I do.

I understand why Java would be called bloated, but why C++?
It's pretty much C improved, taking into account that C is a portable assembler.

>what is STL

it's C covered in a mile deep layer of dogshit

there's still no decent alternatives to C++
>in b4 muhh Rust

why do you need anything like C++ in the first place?

The only people saying Rust will replace C++ are trolls
Anyone who has written a line of C++ knows that it can't be replaced by a garage collection language

Why is C++ used over C for all performance critical programs, notably in research and finance?

this.

Just because people use it for performance-critical stuff doesn't mean it isn't bloated

it isnt bloated, show me one example of bloat in c++

It's absolutely not used in performance critical programs

What does bloated mean? Too many features?

Just look at STL or boost

C++ is the most widely used language in quantitative finance and is very popular in research. What the fuck are you talking about?

stl or boost isnt c++, thats just libraries like any other, i was asking about c++ you retard

STL is part of the standard retard

sage

>C++ is the most widely used language in quantitative finance and is very popular in research.
if you're using C++ data structures for that kind of stuff you should be shot

if you want to write fast code, have access to huge amount of libraries and tools; and don't care about GC or dumb safety features that get in the way (Rust) then c/c++ are the only choices really.

Features he has no use for.
Like his dick.

ok, what exactly is so bloat about stl?

/thread

>GC or dumb safety features
You don't have to use those in Rust. You just don't know what you're talking about.

D

what isn't?

fucking hell this board is delusional as fuck. Surely you know better than hundreds of CS and math PhDs who decided that using C++ was the best way to maximize profits, right?

>muh oop

it isnt, you were the one who claim something is, whats wrong you dont have an answer for such simple question? i though you knew what you were talking about?

>C++ was the best way to maximize profits,

book selling profits? consulting services profits?

you have no idea how much C++ fucks performance, kid

>you were the one who claim something isn't

Vectors are fast as a motherfucker you retard.

fast at what exactly?

so you literally have no answer what bloated in c++, good to know that i was responding to retard, i will not fall for your bait anymore

Please tell us how C++ fucks performance through your internet browser that is likely written in C++.

at everything, you literally cant make a better vector implementation in pure c, i dare you

>calling me kid in an attempt to seem mature and experienced
Nobody's falling for it.
quantnet.com/threads/why-is-c-good-for-quantitative-finance-top-3-reasons.1116/
Stop using terms you don't understand just to be contrarian.

>you have no idea how much C++ fucks performance, kid
Citation needed

Storage, retrieval, iteration? Think?

>so you literally have no answer what isn't bloated in c++

Iterating, copying, and moving. They're blazingly fast at almost anything you would use one for.

C sucks though. It was invented before memory protection was a thing, and therefore it is "buffer overflow: the language".

temple os uses ring 0

if you're an adult ignorant moron that just makes it worse for you

>Grasping at straws
Do you people just try believe anything that sounds slightly antagonistic?

thats because its windows update is written in c#

What's your point? Windows is a clusterfuck that is still cobbled together with Perl scripts from 1986. It's not the fault of C++, but of poor architecture built on top of poor architecture for the past 25 years.

>no arguments
Cool, you can fuck off now.

I refer you to basic knowledge of programming

this is not daycare

Yeah and I could quote Stroustrup about how there are only two types of languages. Appeals to authority are retarded and so are you.
>asked to provide proof
>"just find it yourself"
So you don't know shit. Got it.

>linus
>authority on anything
linux is a mess

both are linux things, both are retarded

i don't know what systemd has to do with the fact that the linux kernel is a disgusting mess written by amateurs

Torvalds is a substandard programmer. That's why everyone considers Stallman the real genius behind GNU/Linux.

which is written in c

>Autists argue C
Just use Rust

>forced meme

C > C++
Perl > C

yeah, through internet browsers, usually the most inefficient, memory hogging, piece of software in a computer

well the JVM has gotten quite good at performance and has a more promising concurrency future

Because it predates C++.

How is the LLVM Rust rewrite going, guys?

dead, switch to c++ before its too late

java has fewer keywords, fewer different ways of doing one thing and the userbase isn't fragmented between different language versions.
of course it's less bloated and more orderly than c++

what does garage collection have to do with rust?

except for HFT, DAWs, all them AAA gaymen and lots of other shit

Chrome runs fine on my 4gb.

>what does garage collection have to do with rust?
It collects Rust.

ITT: C hacker syndrome.

>google
Enjoy your botnet.

Thanks, I do.

>le "using C++ automatically means using STL" meme

if you don't roll your own template classes then you shouldn't be using C++

This.

Also, if you don't roll your own stdlib, you shouldn't be using C.

Especially concerning string handling, memory management and I/O functions. The C standard library ones really suck.

STL implementations are more efficient than anything you can write.

*more efficient for general use, not in all cases

blindly using a standard implementation just because it's standard shows a strong lack of understanding towards building efficient software

In all cases, the STL implementation will be faster than anything you personally can write.

ebin. I would upboat twice if I could

While I do love C++, this isn't true. There was recently an HN article of how the STL's complex class was a lot slower.
Of course, this was due to exception handling, but the point remains that there are cases in which STL isn't the fastest (but it is a really good tradeoff between safety and speed)

you just proved my point

software libraries that are built to be used for general purpose tasks will never be as fast or clean as a library that is optimized for a smaller set of tasks

i'm not saying you shouldn't ever use it, but i'm saying you should know when to use it and when not to use it. a skill that is sorely lacking in many developers these days

>i'm saying you should know when to use it and when not to use it.
And I'm saying you don't and cannot write more efficient implementations of any STL functions or containers in any use-case.

since you're so keen on not providing any insight into your argument, i'll help you out a bit.

why don't you tell me which implementations you hold to that standard and why?

don't tell me all of them because that just further shows how little you understand about your claims.

>it's C improved
It's C ruined.

He's trying to tell you every STL implementation is more efficient and ambiguous than anything your stupid ass can cobble together. Was that so hard?

Does the standard library still require using garbage collection?

You're misunderstanding: I'm not saying it's not possible, I'm saying you're stupid and cannot do it.

What is the point of this stupid fucking thread.
Obvious shitposters everywhere spouting bullshit, and then triggered retards who know shit but get baited like a 5 year old child.

when you put it like a guy who didn't graduate from a university in the street shitting capital of the world, no it wasn't

and what is your profession?

No, the issue stems from the retards getting triggered because they realize they don't truly know anything. Notice how no one successfully defended C++ as a memory hogging language, or problems with STL. These are topics that only post-grad students could answer, not Chinese cartoon enthusiasts.

Except for very specific cases, if you roll your own containers, you shouldn't be programming.

The issue with the STL isn't that it is bloated. It is that it frankly has too few useful utility methods, and their implementation is often horrendously unsafe to the point that the function is nigh-unusuable.

So Rust is a car?

Sounds like something I would download.

I only roll my own STL if I need to. Stop reinventing the wheel, you faggot.

What if I'm a post grad student AND a chinese cartoon enthusiast?

Bloated but still faster than a lot of programming languages.

You don't pay for what you don't use. Have you written an interrupt handler, OP? How about a compiler? Come back when you graduate from high school and stop sucking mommy's tit.

Good

a feature rust doesn't have

>doesn't realize that the banking system still relies on COBOL
>doesn't realize that most data analysis happens in FORTRAN, Stata, Python/R/Matlab
C++ is popular, but definitely not the most popular.
If you want to specialize in high frequency trading, yes.
Most of the financial world where you want to make profit off of something that isn't pure luck? No.
FORTRAN is the masterrace language for physics, finance, data analysis, and economics.
Python is probably second as a new competitor.

I do, thanks.