Why can't I find any place online that sells Opus music?

Why can't I find any place online that sells Opus music?

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/Why-does-Spotify-use-the-relatively-obscure-Ogg-Vorbis-file-format
lovethroughcannibalism.bandcamp.com
microsoft.com/en-us/groove/onedrive
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>buys music in anything but FLAC

Why would you buy lossy music you moron? Like the other guy said, buy FLAC then transcode to whatever you want.

That aside, I think the standard lossy format has been won by AAC (the new MP3), and of course the real MP3 which might die off. Opus is obviously superior but it feels a lot more niche. Just transcode

I'll sell you music in Opus.

fuck no it hasn't, aac sucks nuts

Because the majority of music listeners are not autistic retards who obsess over spectrographs and placebo bullshit. Bandwidth costs money, and if 99% of a music service's listeners are not said retards, they will not waste the money to pander to them.

Why do you think that? Are you talking at lower bit rates? For normal use I think it's fine, but opus is definitely better. I only use it because my car can't do Opus.

Opus is probably better for streaming services, which is where most consumers are headed anyway. Spotify (the most popular music streaming service) already uses Ogg Vorbis for all of their streaming [1], now they can switch to Opus and save billions on bandwidth per year without sacrificing quality.

[1]: quora.com/Why-does-Spotify-use-the-relatively-obscure-Ogg-Vorbis-file-format

The only reason I see for someone technologically fluent to buy music in a lossy format is if you cannot buy it in a lossless format anywhere and lossy is the only version available. If a lossless version exists, it makes the most sense to buy that version since it's yours forever and you can always transcode it to any lossy format of your choice for listening.

>not qaac q127
Found the pleb

Ogg Vorbis and Opus are both great.

why? it supports drm

best lossless codec: flac
best lossy codecs, in order:

Opus (all bitrates, actually outperforms Vorbis)

Vorbis (~2x better compression than mp3 with almost 1/6 information loss down to like -q4)

mp3 (good when it was invented, dog shit now)

aac (supports drm, generally a universal compromise codec that excels at nothing)

With hope, it would promote Opus' standing and give AAC a FOSS competitor in the mainstream. I don't want free open source codecs to remain niche and obscure.

just buy it in flac and convert it if its that important to you
moron

FLAC is FOSS. You don't need anything else.

Thanks for the response. Quality wise I think it's good at normal bit rates. Same goes for MP3 (LAME).

>that quality True VBR
good choice

I find using lossless formats like FLAC for archival and lossy formats like Opus for listening to be the best for me. Music in Opus already sounds pretty much transparent to me at 192 kb/s and is a lot smaller to fit on my mobile device.

Meanwhile you could be listening straight to FLAC.

How? Not him but the only listening to music I do outside my home is in my car. My car only supports WMA, MP3 and AAC. I didn't fall for the smartphone meme but I am stuck with (oudated) apple gear so it looks like it's AAC only for me.

Every Android device supports FLAC.

Unnecessary. I can't tell the difference between Opus 192 kb/s and FLAC, and Opus files are 4x smaller than FLACs, which make the difference for my Android device. I can transcode the FLAC library to Opus for storage on my phone and afterward store the source FLACs on Amazon Glacier for long-term cold archival until I need to transcode again.

I'm too much of a poorfag

>too poor to spare $50
You already have flacs, why waste your time converting them. Space haven't been an issue for like 5 years already.

>why waste your time converting them

good compression gives me a boner

aac's established foss competitor is vorbis

aac is really crap because of the drm, but yeah it sounds okay. i will be the first to admit that my ears are not made of platinum and it takes some good gear and focus to distinguish a v0 from a -q10 vorbis. But since aac supports drm and its btfo by other formats imo it's a really poor choice

i agree completely, flac's true purpose is for keeping a perfect master copy you can transcode into whatever you want in the future to match whatever space constraints are at the time. if you have no space constraints then there's no reason not to use lossless for everything.

a general example regarding mp3 vs ogg

user@host ~/m/B/This Binary Universe> du -sh 02\ Dynamic\ Symmetry.flac
64M 02 Dynamic Symmetry.flac
user@host ~/m/B/This Binary Universe> oggenc -q 4 02\ Dynamic\ Symmetry.flac
user@host ~/m/B/This Binary Universe> lame -h -V 0 02\ Dynamic\ Symmetry.flac
user@host ~/m/B/This Binary Universe> du -sh 02\ Dynamic\ Symmetry.ogg
11M 02 Dynamic Symmetry.ogg
user@host ~/m/B/This Binary Universe> du -sh 02\ Dynamic\ Symmetry.mp3
22M 02 Dynamic Symmetry.mp3

pic related is spectrals
top is flac
middle is Vorbis -q4
bottom is lame v0

as a reminder, the vorbis quality scale goes from 0-10

no aac spectrals because literally nothing supports it and aac-enc is a pile of shit

mp3 absolutely and irrevocably btfo

>nothing supports AAC

So you don't actually care about music. Whatever, man. But just think about - an average modern phone(64GB) can store almost a WEEK of FLAC playback. Just pick your favorite albums.

yeah better fill up all 64gb of that with only a subset of your music because we all know you carry your amp and your 320 ohm headphones around with you everywhere you fucking fat autist

-q6 vorbis is sufficient for the modern man

You seem to be ignoring how bloated Linux is. I'm 15.36GB down with nothing installed.

Better than wasting time on transcoding.

lovethroughcannibalism.bandcamp.com
there you go.
also

>he doesnt know how to leave a transcode running overnight

This.

While the desktop Groove app for Windows 10 plays FLAC, you can't stream your local FLACs to the mobile Groove app from OneDrive. So I have to transcode the FLACs to AAC.

microsoft.com/en-us/groove/onedrive

Not that it would make sense to stream FLACs anyway.

FLAC streaming would be good for bluetooth because it's lossy. (some subband codec, etc)

Hopefully Wi-Fi Direct will take off soon and fix this whole thing for us.

Convert it to Opus then nigger

this guy knows whats up

nice job breaking it down

lossless for archival and just transcode to opus or what ever new format is out

I never thought I would say that, but

Based Spotify

Agreed.

Paving the way for us autists. :')

FUCK PANDORA!!!!

> transcode to opus
Why? It doesn't have better sound quality and has less compatibility. opus is sufficiently better only in applications that use low bandwidth streams.

Why is mp3 bad?

Poor performance for lower bitrates
Relatively large compared to other formats at similar quality

>linux
>bloated
>windows takes up way more space with a clean install

>buying music

lel

>This shit is going on YouTube

Probably a full music video is on the right recommended page as well

>1997
>buying music

Also,
>getting music in a lossy format only

Opus is for streaming voice, you faggot.

Opus is a multipurpose format. It's was literally designed as a successor to both Vorbis and Speex.

There is literally nothing wrong with buying music.

>buying music

What is wrong with buying music?

>bandwidth costs money
>opus has the best compression, meaning less bandwidth is needed
???

bandwidth shouldnt cost a cent is the problem with that

see
this goes equally for you

Nothing if you're buying physically. Everything if you're buying lossy encodes.