Smart watches

Remember when smart watches were going to be the "next big thing?"

Next up: VR

I like my Pebble though. It's smart, it's functional, it looks good, and it does everything I want and need it to.

>tfw i was thinking smartwatches and vr will be niche from the very beginning

The reason why most smart watches failed was that lack of the ecosystem. Apple's worked well, it had a huge customer base, which many didn't have. You can say how shit Apple is, but their ecosystem is growing and as it grows it gets better.

>Inb4 isheep
At least they are happy.

Pebble 2 here, everything works as intended. Best smartwatch i've tried so far

>smart watches failed

It's the 2 day battery life.

I had several Smartwatches but I eventually stopped wearing them

They all have shit battery life and the connectivity to your phone is useless, since everything besides notifications doesn't work on such a tiny screen

looks kinda dumb desu

Smart watches were never considered "the next big thing". Everyone knew they were nothing but a worthless gimmick all along.

Pebble time (kikestarter edition) and pebble round faggot here
Too bad it's dead.

You forgot the shit battery life (pebble is an exception)
I've owned a three pebbles and a moto 360 and now I'm back to a Casio dbc-32
Charging is very annoying

And it is user.

Didn't Google jus release watch 2.0 or did they already abandon it?

I see lots of people with the apple watch when talking the subway everyday.

I prefer my non botnet watch that charges while i wear it.

I really like the concept of having a useful, practical, and multi-functional device strapped to my wrist. I can think of a hundred ways such a thing could come in handy. The problem with current "smart watches" is that they are chunky on the wrist. I don't so much mind the footprint or the weight as I do the height with which such devices rise up from my wrist. Perhaps in the future they will figure out a way to make smart watches thin and stylish.

>my current watch

I still do not understand their purpose.

and bots !

The way I see it they'll remain useless until they can replace a smartphone and for that they have to have a bigger screen, at least like the samsung gear S, and interact with other devices instead of being a glorified remote control for your smartphone.

Watches in general are pointless shit. People masturbate their phone 24/7, why would they look at their watch to tell them they got a fucking message?

VR is also garbage unless it's phone-based. Normies won't to buy dumb VR glasses.

I have a Zenwatch 2 and a screwback Pebble Classic. The Zenwatch is impressive-looking but has some glaring design faults such as the charging port being in constant contact with skin so eventually the contacts corrode and you have to clean it with alcohol basically every time you take it off or else it eventually won't charge. The battery life is pretty pathetic at two days and I gotta admit the AW2.0 interface sucks balls. The controls are wildly inconsistent now and just installing my favorite watchface Rapier was a pain in the ass.

The Pebble on the other hand has phenomenal battery life, can be charged and worn at the same time, has an easy to navigate, beautifully animated interface with responsive physical buttons, and functions beautifully as a call ID/notification screen/music remote. Unfortunately the company is dead and nobody in my area actually has Pebble 2s despite having displays for them.

The most useful part of any smartwatch is the fact that they keep basically perfect time all the time, being connected to the Internet and all. Even a high-quality quartz timepiece will drift a bit but these always self-correct. Battery technology is just not with it though. I like a watch I can wear constantly.

VR has already flopped though.

I thought smart watches were a great idea when they started out. But just like your pic related, flat tire displays, tiny batteries, and software that was kinda stupid to use made it all not really worth investing in.

I want it to evolve more, beacuse there is tons of potential. But the shit we have right now is kinda weak as fuck.

same here user, unless VR is like the fuckin holodeck and smartwatches give you more than what your fat ass has burned off calorie wise or to double up as a alternative to picking up your phone then i see them nothing more as gimmicks.

The people who mocked others for carrying MP3 players when their smartphone can do it all are the same ones who went out and bought smart watches in addition to their smartphones.

To normies they were; though it was blanketed under the term "wearables".

>The people who mocked others for using their smartphone when they can carry an MP3 player are the same ones who went out and bought smart watches in addition to their smartphones.

fix'd that for you buddy. No need to thank me, mistakes happen.

>"next big thing?"
Shit is too expensive for not that great of a convenience.

>You can say how shit Apple is, but their ecosystem is growing and as it grows it gets better.
actually it's shrinking and got relegated to a fitness tracker.

>fitbits
Everyone in my family wears one. It's essentially a government tracking device and I remind them every time.
Why the fuck do other people need to know about your steps in a day? Normie validation tactics are getting more insane by the year.

seiko basically killed kinetic in favor of solar already. it was a stupid idea.

The thing with Apple is they are the only ones that actually support their shit. When the first Apple Watch sucked they redid the UI and changed some things. They don't just throw it in the failed product bin and forget it. I wouldn't buy one but I would certainly would never get any brand unless you are going for something more cheap and nasty.

Still a meme of memes though.

Me four, PTS and PTR here. Pebble just didn't advertise well enough and the entrenched tech companies (Apple and Samsung) with their huge advertising budgets completely drowned them out. Everyone who's asked me about my Pebble's had no idea they existed and were interested by the always on display and one week battery life.

I kinda want one, just to keep playing PoGo

doesnt work that way

it lets you collect shit from the stops but when you encounter a pokemon you have to take out your phone to catch it

its going to be retarded to walk 5 ft and then take out your phone to catch some shit then put it back in your pocket and walk another 5ft and take it out again

the pogo plus thing is probably the best you can get since it lets you catch pokemon with the button on it and you dont have to take out your phone

but having to stop in the middle of the side walk because you meet a pokemon is a good way to get beat up especially if you live in the downtown area

i will not hesitate to shank you if you stopped walking suddenly to press a button on your device

I don't know what the fuck you're talking about. I see plenty of people wearing them. Android and Apple watches. They're isn't much you can innovate in this area so it's not like people are going crazy over them.

what the fuck is the point of a "smartwatch"
why the fuck would you need a watch to do anything but tell time

>Next up: VR
Apparently died so fast that you missed it entirely

I'm just waiting for a decent sized one with 4G LTE connection, unless i can use a mobile network to send SMS, make calls and use internet i won't buy one.
Once they can add that to a 42mm Apple Watch i'll get one.