/vrg/ - Virtual Reality General

The neverending shill. All text is a WIP.

>A not very serious compilation of trailers demonstrating current VR
vimeo.com/222520924

>I'm not sure I believe the hype.
The only way to truly understand VR is to experience it (and not only that, but the good headsets with the good software). If you're skeptical, try a live demo and make up your own mind. Or keep reading for a comprehensive overview.

>Where can I try it?
pastebin.com/FfRKyyFN

>Overview of VR
>Should be a REQUIRED reading, even if you know about VR
pastebin.com/1PqZfhAW

---

>Hardware purchasing guide with deals/discounts
pastebin.com/CQXY0hvq

>User guides, requirements, setup, and resources
pastebin.com/3D60jpFb

>Recommended games and applications (includes NSFW)
pastebin.com/KgBr4kCh

>Last thread

>To-do:
Better formatted and expanded apps list.
PSVR guide and more PSVR info.
More tips and resources for the headset guides.
Better/more info for everything.

Other urls found in this thread:

altvr.com/good-bye/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is it worth it to buy a used Rift DK1? I'm poor. Am I in for a disappointment?

The DK1 isn't very good and isn't really supported well by software anymore. Other than as a collector's item, it's not worth buying. You'd be better off buying a phone holder headset but even that's not worth it because it sucks too. If you want cheap VR, unfortunately we can only recommend waiting till prices drop more. Anything less than the Rift/Vive/PSVR just isn't worth it.

I have a plastic headset from ebay and a 5.5"@1080p phone and it's alright I guess, but playing games with Trinus VR is too much hassle and it lags etc.

Yeah that's why it (also) sucks. The DK1 doesn't have the lag you get from Trinus, but it's not much better in other things like resolution so it's not necessarily superior to the phone VR stuff.

BTW what should I use for PC VR via phone? Right now as I mentioned I use Trinus VR and TriDef, but the problem with the latter is that you have to scale to 50% the SBS picture vertically, which fucks with the quality of the picture, which with streaming and stuff gives really shit results.

I wanted to try Vireio but that only support a handful of games whereas TriDef is practically compatible with almost every game I tried so far.

Is VorpX any good? I couldn't find a cracked version so far.

Haven't tried messing with any of that myself so I dunno. Do people usually use TriDef? I see VorpX being talked about occasionally.

Why can't I find a cracked VorpX torrent anywhere? I can't even find a trial version or anything.

That's a good question. The pirates have tons of obscure indie stuff and also big releases, but not VorpX, not even one version of it.

bump

Anyone else buy a Rift and intend to jump to Vive once they have a price cut and include the Knucks?

I'm jumping when there's a new HMD out, probably LG's. HTC sucks.

Nah, I'm buying a Rift and waiting for gen 2.

What do we know about LG's HMD?

>gen 2
Install it

>Never

The last prototype they showed had a higher res screen and fits very similarly to how the PSVR does. Also lets you flip up the headset which is pretty neat. Their design also fixes possible concerns with it wiggling around. Some other headsets that have that function tend to wiggle with movement since they only use one point in the middle. The controllers were basically smaller Vive wands.

>Also lets you flip up the headset which is pretty neat
Damn, that's really great.

I have so little room in my room for any VR roomscale it's almost comical. There's also nowhere else in the house it can be set up. How do you freaks respond to that

Set it up outside, nerd.

I have no interest in doing that. Ever.

The whole point of VR it that you won't have to go outside again

Then move out

it looks cool as well.

I would rather not. I'm investing in stocks and crypto

I'd rather not buy a third sensor for my Rift. Does the setup with two sensors on opposite sides work just as well?

>How do you freaks respond to that
Sucks for you.

Are you sure you don't have enough space to stand? All I had to do is push my desk in front of my dresser and I have enough standing room to play any game, as long as I don't try physically walking more than a few feet.

I found it unplayable in my 4m x 3m setup with just two. Haven't bought a third yet since I'm still deciding if I should buy an extra sensor alone or another set of Touch controllers which come with one.

Depends on how big you plan to go.

Have you tried putting the sensors closer together? They optimally should not be more than 13 feet apart if they're opposite each other.

It's not really an option in my room without having a tripod for it in the way. But yeah, I couldn't even get through the setup without it telling me that they were too far. I'm hoping a 3rd will fix it because I was planning on selling my Vive before HTC comes to their senses.

AltspaceVR has gone bankrupt. They're shutting down everything next week.

altvr.com/good-bye/

>You will never get $15 million from venture capitalists and burn them in less than two years on a mediocre chat app made in Unity

>I couldn't even get through the setup without it telling me that they were too far.

You know you can skip that warning right? There's a button you can press on that screen to go to the next step. But yeah two sensors doesn't give very good tracking if you need to go that large.

Yeah, that's what I meant. I had to skip it.

Decided to measure it and they're 16 feet apart. If 3 fixes it then I'll be alright since that's what I expected. If I need a forth then I'm selling it and keeping the Vive.

They basically killed it themselves by pandering to SJWs crying about being virtually groped.

My two-sensor setup works great. I have them mounted high on the wall on opposite corners of the room. I have a 4m x 3m room, but my play space is closer to 2m x 2m.

The Rift cameras have the same mount holes as the Lighthouse sensors, so any mounting tips you can find for Vive also apply to Rift.

By the way what are the problems with tracking you're having specifically? 3 works for me in a 13x13 feet space.

Can't track the full space is one but that I kinda expected. Biggest issue is that the controllers will drift even in the tracked space, standing still in view of both cameras. Reminded me of the videos I watched of PSVR with Move and how terrible that looked.

If there's drift even when holding the controllers still in view of both sensors, then I think you might actually have USB problems. If you go into the devices tab of the Oculus app and click on each sensor, what USB generation do they appear as?

They're both USB 3.0 using the Monoprice active extenders.

>13x13

Also maybe you can help me. How do you have the three set up?

The red circles are how I have the sensors set up now. The green is where I plan to set up the third. I know it isn't optimal but I'm really hoping I don't need to set it up where the purple circle is to make it so. I'd have to mount it up on the ceiling or something.

Fuck me forgot pic

I have mine in the green circle. This probably isn't the best shape in terms of equal angle coverage between all three sensors, but it works good enough for me. The corner without a sensor just has a little worse tracking so I calibrate the center of my space just a little more inward towards the corner with the sensor.

Still sounds weird to me that you're seeing drift even with USB 3.0. Usually I've seen pretty decent tracking from most people with 2 sensors, where mostly the problem is with little "jumps" in tracking when spinning around. Have you made sure to isolate your room from sunlight and also turn off your own lights? And remove as many reflective things as possible?

I believe the VR hype, but my problem is practically all the games I've seen are games I wouldn't bother with if they were non-VR. So what reason would someone like me have to spend $400+ on a Rift, only to be limited to a bunch of games I have no interest in playing?

No sunlight or anything overly reflective no. Just a couple framed pictures. I thought reflective services was more of a problem for Lighthouse though.

sell me on vr

I've never had any problems with reflective surfaces myself but I don't know, it's possible it could be messing with things.

Also are you sure your sensors aren't spontaneously dropping down to USB 2.0? Mine usually report USB 3.0 but for some reason report USB 2.0 sometimes and I have to restart the Oculus service to make it right again.

I've tried different ports since I have to lug my PC into that room and replug it often. I originally thought it might be a shitty Asmedia USB 3.1 controller I originally had it plugged into but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

I think USB 3.1 is actually better than USB 3.0 though? The only thing I can think of to try doing is to place the sensors closer together and see what performance you get. Like, try just placing one sensor on the ground and angle it up if you don't have a tripod.

1:1 scale 3D and headtracking really gives you that 'presence' illusion where thing 'feel' big/small and like they're really in front of you. The FOV and resolution needs improving but it's more than playable.

Motion controls are pretty much all they've been promised to be in all past wiimote and kinect hype. They pretty much work as your hands and operate as such.

>practically all the games I've seen

Which ones?

Maybe I will try to unsell you on VR.

Vrideo
Guerrilla Cambridge
Crytek
Castar vr
Oculus Studio
Altspacevr

Whom is next to shut down

>Oculus Studio
Just their movie department. (Henry and stuff like that.)

Sucks that AltspaceVR is dead but compared to recroom, it's activities were shit and now VRchat is essentially the same thing with player made content.

It's not like I remember a lot of the names... I've just gone and surveyed the VR market every few months to see what's out there, and so far nothing's really caught my eye. Lots of gimmicky shooting gallery games and so forth, that look like little more than glorified tech demos.

Lone Echo and maybe Elite Dangerous are the only games that seem sort of like they'd be worth playing, but again, I'm not sure I'd bother if they were non-VR. That's certainly true of the latter, having read so many mixed reviews about it.

I think VR just lacks a "killer app" right now for me, and maybe it'll just take developers having more time to create some truly compelling gameplay experiences. We're not there yet IMO, but maybe in another year or two.

Games like Lone Echo seem like killer apps to me. It has a full campaign, the mechanics are practical and while it 'could' work on traditional monitor and controls, it would be detached and boring as a result.

I'd say there's more out there than you've seen, but also it sounds like you haven't tried VR yourself. It's pretty hard to find any person who tries Robo Recall and says that it's not worth playing for example.

>and while it 'could' work on traditional monitor and controls

I'd imagine the controls would probably be really frustrating and not intuitive. Meanwhile, games like Robo Recall would not work at all on monitors and keyboard and mouse unless you severely gimp what the player can do.

>make the sensor cables 6 feet
>make the max play space 13x13 feet
Am I supposed to put my computer right in the middle of the room? What the fuck were they thinking?

I guess the value proposition isn't quite there yet for me. Spending $400+ to play one or two good games, with a few more "throwaway" games that are good for a couple hours of fun, just doesn't sound like a great deal to me.

I have to admit that I was very tempted with the Rift price drop, and if it drops again leading up to the holidays, I may bite. But atm the cost:value isn't quite where it needs to be for me.

You kinda just said it.

But I'm also in the middle of the room. Do I stand on my computer?

Comcast, Tencent, Dolby Family and Promus, among others said nah to their funding

what's the difference between vorpx and tridef?

It would work like any other fps. Move with keys and aiming with mouse and a crosshair. Turning all the physical interaction to seat button pressing.

The really sad thing? A lot of people will say that's better because it's more 'efficient'. Like they forgot what games are about.

Rift room scale was an afterthought, they added it because of the demand the Vive made. Still, you can make it work. You can get extension cables up to 32ft that work fine.

TriDef dropped VR support ages ago and never supported positional tracking. It's just for 3D.

VorpX was developed for VR.

I mean I don't feel it's really just one or two games. There's actually quite a few, that aren't just throwaway games good for a couple of hours. You shouldn't underestimate how fun stuff like Echo Arena is especially. I've spent already 14 hours in that game and still want to play more. Meanwhile, normal games like Overwatch don't maintain my interest for very long as the immersion and capabilities just aren't there in those games. And the social communication with your team as well as the enemies aren't even comparible. It's like trying to play an FPS with a xbox controller after you've mastered keyboard and mouse, it's just not the same.

I've never done something half as FUN in a regular FPS as hearing one of those exploding spiderbot fuckers jumping at me from behind, grabbing it out of the air without even having to look, using it as a shield, then throwing it and shooting its ass midair to blow it up.

Robo Recall is really good, but I haven't played another game that comes close yet.

I was just about to say user, but thanks for replying in my place.

I'd say Crisis is actually probably the closest that regular games have gotten to the type of creative actions you can take in VR, but even then it's still pretty limited. Fuck I want a VR Crysis, it's a shame what Crytek did to themselves. To be fair though, The Climb was a fantastic VR game.

what about nvidia 3d vision for sbs 3d in virtual desktop? it seems like you need to have specific nvidia 3d compatible peripherals plugged in to get it to install. is there a way to get it working without buying NVIDIA® 3D VISION™ DISCOVER GLASSES?

Anyone hyped for Gunheart? Looks like it might be pretty good.

Yeah? And you have pretty much every company picking up VR now. All developing VR headsets.