WiFi adapter

PCI Express or USB?

depends on what you have and what you need
but i would say pci e since they're probably empty all the time otherwise

PCIe = Faster, less compatible
USB = Slower, more compatible

Is it worth it to get a USB Type C expansion card now?

Irrelevant because USB 3.

do you have any usb-c peripherals or not

>USB
>more compatible
Tell that to rtl8192cu

Since nothing but phones and macs use them, and it'll be in the back of your pc I wouldn't get one. You'd be better off just getting usb3-usbc cables.

>Since nothing but phones and macs use them, and it'll be in the back of your pc I wouldn't get one. You'd be better off just getting usb3-usbc cables.

But they are the future, right?

I have spectre x360 which has two

might as well wait for 3.2 revision coming out.

>any of the devices i own has usb-c port because im did not buy anything in this year.
Literally all the devices i've purchased lastly have a usb-c port.
-MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon 1x Usb-c
-Oneplus 5 1x Usb-c
-Xiaomi Mi Notebook air 1x Usb-c
-External Toshiba Drive 1x Usb-c
-An external battery that i purchased (i dont remember name). 1x usb c (input) 1x usb c (output).
-Nintendo switch 1x Usb-c

And this is only what i purchased kek

It seems silly to use USB for something you're always going to want plugged in. USB in general is kind of shitty imo. Definitely not something you want a core component like a NIC going through.

IT seems whichever gives you the better antennae option will deliver better performance.

eae op kkkk

usb how is this a question

both
you need at least 5 network interfaces for an optimal experience

>PCI-E X4
I haven't seen any recent mobo with X4 connector tbqh.

You only need 3 if you treat the boards under the WiFi controller IC with a shot of black.

pcie

1.) x4 cards work in x4, x8, or x16 slots.
2.) it's pretty common for mobos to have slots that are physically x16-sized but are only wired for x8 or x4.

PCI. Not PCIe. Old school PCI.

is still slower than pci e x1

>is still slower than pci e x1
At what?

My main problem with USB wifi adapters is that when you turn the computer on, they take maybe 20 seconds or more to connect to the internet.

On my new computer i put in a PCI-E wifi adapter and it's instantly connected as soon as i turn the computer on. I've only been using it for a few weeks but the wifi hasn't dropped once yet (It used to drop often on my USB adapter).

The downside of PCI-E is that the antennas are going to be in the the way of your GPU ports, you can move them easily though so it's only a mild inconvenience, or you could put the adapter in the top PCI-E slot so it isn't in the way of anything, but you usually want to put your graphics card in the top one.

What cards would ya'll recommend?

And WiFi is slower than both.

Maybe you should put more money into learning to speak proper English instead of mediocre technology.

kek IS proper English, you nigger.

and all the Nexus phones for the last couple years

smells like summer

>what is 5g
>what is 2.4gz dual band
>what is using both of those at the same time
you go over the usb3 limit pretty easily tbqh sempai

How would you use both simultaneously?

USB = polling
PCI = IRQ

PCI > USB

/thread

it works just fine in a 16x slot

You can prevent that downside by getting Gigabyte's Wifi Adapter ( GC-WB867D-I ). I have it and it has been working great. The antenna is magnetic and sticks to the side of your case, so it doesn't get in the way of any of your back ports. It also has optional bluetooth capability if your motherboard has an extra USB 2.0 internal port. Mine didn't so I haven't tried it yet, but I might be getting an internal hub for it one day.

Just ordered an archer t6e from tp link, anyone else have one of these?

question for this thread. Planning a build and wondering the same thing. I have a hard line for the internet. Let's get that out of the way. I Do need wifi, and bluetooth, on my desktop though. My printer connects via my wifi, and I have a number of bluetooth things I connect to my PC at any point in the day. Would I be better off with a USB adapter or a PCIe adapter? speed doesn't matter to me since I'm not using the wifi for the internet.

usually just a full length pci e 16 with only x4 pins

idfk i don't make it.
the 5ghz band alone saturates usb3 speeds though.

Is it still polling if the hardware automatically does it for you?

USB, to mitigate against DMA attacks.

EISA

This user has the correct answer.

DMA is death.

that's pretty cool

Bump

fug this is basically what im looking for, I got fresh fiber installed to my house and my direct ethernet cable just shit itself and doesnt work

Ive been running on this shitty dlink thing I had, for whatever reason im only getting about a third of the speed I should be getting with it tho

Wow, the last thread on this was super biased towards USB, this thread is higher quality and more neutral.
So USB for security, PCIE for performance?

I always wanted a motherboard with multiple VLB ports but never got my wish.

Maybe? I heard something about USB 3.0 driver blobs in the BIOS that run as EFI or ACPI tasks?

/diy/ plz go.

y u h8 pros

trash, i have this one, it receives wifi signal poorly. Get the TL-WN821N instead.

This, what a bitch it is to setup on Linux. And even on Windows it's disgusting.

Linux is an exercise of masochism but you will be rewarded when your brain is uploaded to the orbital servers