/wt/ - watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewings For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

imageshack.com/i/poENP9YPj
stowa.de/en/Antea Klassik 390.htm
amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=timex weekender
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

my collection

Second for Swiss quality.

Why shouldn't I buy a Bagelmeme Nautilus right now?

> Nautilus

aka. We were too unoriginal to come up with the Royal Oak so we carbon-copied it instead.

That's not a collection, it's what a meth head gets when he mugs a salesman.

Wearing this guy today.

>Hey Mr Genta you designed that ugly watch for AP and now we're jealous all the rich assholes are falling over themselves to pay outrageous prices for a fucking steel sport watch. Can you make us one too?
>Yeah kid whatever
>Draws the Royal Oak again but squashed a bit
>Becomes widely regarded as the greatest watch designer to ever live
MADMAN

It won't impress normies who know nothing about Patek. And the people who do know Patek will cringe at your knockoff. And most of all you will not be impressed and despite any delusion will deep down feel like a fake subhuman loser.

Probably going to buy one myself regardless though.

I have one and it's pretty shit.

The pie-pan dial and dogleg lugs and Dauphine hands era was way better than those later cushion cases which started leading down the path to the really awful shit that the Constellation line has become.

why aren't you getting a 1:1 copy instead of the for Western market versions?
custom hardly checks parcels, so still easy to get.

>And the people who do know Patek will cringe at your knockoff.
when the fuck do you have time to take a close look at someone's else watch?
O.J. Simpsons rocked his fake rolex till some court wanted to seize it.

Best zenith

still shit.
here we all know that seiko did the first chronograph, zenith announcing shit before doesn't count.

Took my turtle to the beach and it survived the crashing waves. Got some sand in the bezel but it washed out easy.

>totally not too big

It is big but just fits. Better shot.

That's just how industrial design works. Giorgetto Giugiaro for example reused a lot of design motifs and shapes in his cars.

I have a question that I'm hoping one of you will be able to answer. I'm looking for an extremely durable watch. It doesn't need to be fancy or impressive, preferably digital, but mainly durable. Durable enough that it might be able to survive a hit from a hammer.

G shock

GSHOCK. A DW5600 or something.

not at all

Definitely pushing it, but the lugs are definitely not overhanging at all.

Thanks guys, that looks like the safest bet

What, we wrist check now?

I had my doubts but it's fast becoming a favorite.

Really happy with my choice.

How domed is the crystal really?

Give me the lug to lug of that thing my man, wish it a little cheaper desu.

A vintage omega is too big for you? What is this, a worst for ants?

what is it

My phone camera is horrendous and can't get close up shots, but here is a side profit I found on Google

imageshack.com/i/poENP9YPj

Fish eye effect of phone camera my man, i'm too much of a poorfag to but a real camera.

sla07

62mas reissue.

Seiko got it right.

>Seiko got it right
$3500 is not "right" for that watch

$2k then i might think about it.

>$4100 us American dollars
>Ho Lee fuk

Bidding on one of these right now.
Already have a Casio calculator watch.
I plan on collecting sort of retro-futuristic watches. Next I'll get the Casio touch screen watch from the 80's.
Anyone know any other cool watches like these?

It was $3400. It replaced 2 ETAs from my collection. Felt good to get rid of those things.

Did you sell your watches on eBay or what? I have a bunch of shitters to get rid of, but it almost doesn't seem worth it for the cheaper ones.

Yes, eBay. I've always had good luck selling watches there.

(OP)
I need a cute waterproof 20mm watch with ONLY the watch no stopwatch or extra hands. I don't want it cluttered at all. Willing to spend quite a bit. And I don't want a metal strap.

I like the style of pic related. But is not water proof

stowa.de/en/Antea Klassik 390.htm

K I was like look for like a $30 one lol

Yeah I've sold stuff before and it went off without a hitch, it's just a pain to pack stuff and ship it off and hope the buyer doesn't try to fuck you over. And then ebay takes so much of your damn money.

>Willing to spend quite a bit
>$30

There's that IBM watch, but it's pretty rare.

I buy $7 watches

My condolences.

I promise. My uncle is really rich and I will get a $1000 dollar watch eventually pls dontbullt me

Timex Weekender.

I have to sign in to buy them? To see the price?

amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=timex weekender

Seiko Data 2000.

/wt/ approved? looks pretty dope desu, hoping it displays my alphaness to attract high quality females

I want a watch that can barely store a few html bookmarks in the most most painful way possible

> we have exactly what you are looking for sir

I'm sure you'll get the fine bitches that watch truly deserves.

I'm honestly shocked at the current state of this website. Yeah, we made chinkshit jokes sometimes, but it was all fun, right? At the end of the day, we all aren't poor, we all live in Swizerland, and we all opposed cheap chinkshit watches. But now? Our entire fucking site is subverted because of fucking Seikofags.

The internet is OUR platform. the ROLEX platform. Cheap, ugly, and terrible investments were all confirmed to be left in the past because millenials are the most finacially sucessful generation of all time. So why in the FUCK, do we still have to deal with Seikofags IN TWENTY-FUCKING-SEVENTEEN? Despite how much you wanna cry about how it's just a conspiracy and a boogeyman, poorfags ARE real, and this site is proof. We went from one of the most prestigious sites in the world to supporting Orange Fucking Divers? Nah, that's not normal progression because people only get more prestigeous with age, just like how you get smarter with age.

Threads like these just show that we need MUCH more strict moderation around here. I'm sick of all of this shit. Fuck Weebs, Fuck Quartz, Fuck Seiko, Fuck Drumpf, Fuck Nippon, and FUCK POORFAGS. Just fucking nuke this site already.

GW-M5610

Couldn't agree more tbqh famalam.

Chinks are Chinese. You're thinking of Gooks, my dude.

people getting worked up af over watches? it's 2017, use your fucking microwave

I get analog devices (pun intended) are nicer looking than digital ones, but translating hand position to numbers usually take more effort and (ironically) time than just reading a string of digits

I think it depends on the type of watch face, and how familiar you are with reading an analog clock. Like I can look at my Casio and see that it's 2:12, but I can still look at my SNK803 and realize the same thing in around the same time.
I honestly only wore the Casio until last Winter and was always pretty bad with reading clocks, even though they taught it in elementary school contrary to what Boomers think, but you really pick up on it when it's your main method of checking the time.

>just like how you get smarter with age

Yet you seem to be genuinely upset over something so trivial.

If your post isn't pic related, I feel for you.

Analog gives you a nice visual sense of time in a way--you can literally see how far away something is in time.

Explorer I or Date just

114270. If you're made of money then 1016 explorer.

Get 1000 casio f-91ws

>Explorer I or Date just

DateJust is more versatile. Explorer is cooler as a casual weekend watch, whereas the DJ could look 'old man' in that scenario.

I'm struggling with the same question myself.

16234 DJ, steel with white gold bezel might be the most versatile Rolex of all.

You could add a sportier watch afterwards.

and versus an OP 116034 silver dial Arabic

The reason i didn't jump for the Explorer right away is because i'm afraid the simple, black dial of it will bored me after the honeymoon period.
DJ is just beautiful especially with the grey dial, but it doesn't have that tool, goes anywhere without worry watch vide that the explorer got.

That particular grey DJ is pretty sweet. If you're looking at vintage pieces anyway try and find a linen dial.

"I.. I am speechless. A Yazole has always been on my horological bucket list. May you wear it in good health."

Review this

The Explorer is very cool.

Ultimately, if someone wore an Explorer to a wedding would they look like a cunt? I don't think so. In THAT situation a DJ would be better, but how many weddings a lifetime will someone attend.

And the Explorer is definitely OK in 2017 with a business suit.

It's a tough decision. I think for a young man into Rolex, his best bet might be the Explorer today, and skip the DJ and treat himself to a Day Date years down the line.

People believe that OJ could have afforded a real rolex before he went all nutter butters. When they see you wearing a bagel phillipe and then climb into your shitty ricer, they're just going to assume it's fake.

post wrist shot

"The calculator complication, in my opinion, just elevates this Casio to another level. It's a tool, yes, but it's also refined enough to hold it's own against Switzerland's best. An in-house Casio movement for $20 - bellissimo!"

KEK
Best poster in /wt/

is this pic real? Why would Orient design such a big dress watch?

>see random stranger wearing a watch
>subtly glance at the seconds hand
>quarz ticks
>instantly think less of them
This is really pathetic and autistic but I can't help it.
Does anyone else do this?

Pretty autistic, try to understand why people buy mechanicals in the first place.

yup. you know what really annoys me? people buying garbage quartz and actually thinking it's a premium product. like those shitty DW watches.

> wears quartz.
yes, you should absolutely look down on them. they are inferior beings.

Can someone identify this watch?

I got you familia :^)

To be fair: They look good and they show the time. For most people that is more than enough.

they're manufactered in china for 5 dollars and they retail for 200 dollars.

>Daniel Wellington (stylised with a reverse capital D) is a Swedish watch company,

did they just pick a generic old timey Anglo name? so it could be Nigel Calthrop watches or anything

They just pick something that sounds fancy and build an image around luxury and owning something worth spending shitloads of money on. Which it's not.

Yes they picked a generic anglo name, it is a built up brand which succeeded through online marketing.
It has zero history and is how they are made.
Most people just don't know this.

Yes, I know that you are right, but again: Why should people care? most of the clothes from popular "designers" come from India, Taiwan etc. The name is important for these people, not the quality.