/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

head-fi.org/f/threads/how-to-automatically-eq-your-headphones-to-online-measurements-a-step-by-step-guide.854773/
en.goldenears.net/11302
head-fi.org/f/threads/beyerdynamic-dt990-250ohm-should-come-with-warning-label.853750/
goldenears.net/board/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&page=8&document_srl=5709845
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

1st for rtings

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

Please respond.

Wow guess I should buy another HD 800 S

>rtings

ZS5 with KZ bluetooth cable

So, I'll finally pull the trigger and get a Modi 2. Does the Modi 2 Uber allows me to have the AMP pluged and a pair of speakers at the same time or do I need something else? If not, I'll just get the regular Modi 2 and then I'd change source when using the speakers as I won't care about sound quality on these, at all.

I'll pair the Modi 2 with a O2 AMP and DT880 Pro (250ohm). Is that a too dangerous mix?

>do I need something else?
You need a preamp, if your O2 doesn't have one then you'll want something like a Schiit Sys or to replace your O2 with a Magni 2 Uber.

>not wanting headphones that can also give you a head massage

DT880 treble is very dangerous for your hearing.

just eq them

Bumb.

But I've been using them for some months now, maybe half a year, and I only notice that on very bright tones like a dude fucking smashing like the stronkest!! in the world a piano with high volume.

I'm not used to EQ because it makes me think that I'll lose audio quality. I use foobar2k, where shgould I start?

I'll maybe get a preamp then if it's not too much expensive.

>I'll maybe get a preamp then if it's not too much expensive.
Did you not get an O2 model that has a preamp? Head'N'Hifi do it

I actually miss my gunmetal O2+ODAC it was really nice

>because it makes me think that I'll lose audio quality
You will not. Your audio quality will improve dramatically if you do it correctly.

I don't know how I can tell. It has the wheel, power and "boost" button. I remember I got the x1/x3,3 version because they said it's better for DAC users because I was planing on gettim a DAC after it, but no money back then.

Anyway, I'll stick with the O2 and switch cables or source in the PC since I'll just get a sub 50€ speakers. I only use speakers when there is anyone in my house and we are watching something on my PC, so sound quality isn't a requeriment.

Then what do.

>I don't know how I can tell
RCA outputs in the rear

Oh, no, it only has the power input there. I didn't want stuff that I would maybe rarelly use. I guess I could have got it, but meh, it's ok.

Also, I think I have read before that someone tweaked his Modi 2. Is it worth it and how do I do that?

head-fi.org/f/threads/how-to-automatically-eq-your-headphones-to-online-measurements-a-step-by-step-guide.854773/
Pic attached is a reference graph. More reference graphs available at en.goldenears.net/11302

Bullshit, present to reliable source on that.
The few articles puclished on the subject of prominent regions of FR being dangerous talk about Beats and deviations far greater than that.

head-fi.org/f/threads/beyerdynamic-dt990-250ohm-should-come-with-warning-label.853750/
DT880's treble peak measures about the same as DT990's:

>Goldenears
Unreliable

"No."

Ok then by your standards the DT880 have a treble dip

Wow, an Opinion on the internet! Now that's what i call a good argument, you should be a member of the academy with such sources.

and are consistent with one another, they just use different compensation curves. They both show the same general shape from the bass through the treble.

>headphone.com
Stop posting.

Also here's your treble dip DT880 from your favorite cherrypicked site GoldenEars

Provide a link to the webpage that graph is from. That measurement is extremely inconsistent with the many, many DT880 measurements available.

goldenears.net/board/index.php?mid=GR_Headphones&page=8&document_srl=5709845

Why don't you stop exposing yourself as a newfag

I have no explanation for that measurement. It's incredibly inconsistent compared to every other DT880 measurement I've ever seen. It is a severe outlier. It could be a measurement error. It could be an unrepresentative sample of DT880. It could be a revised model. That's honestly baffling.

GoldenEars don't have a consistent measurement methodology.

Measurement error is only one of many possible explanations for that measurement. Your statement is baseless.

Your blind trust in GoldenEars is also baseless.

Your statement is a strawman. The matching graph shapes of and tell us that both of those measurements are likely accurate.

Basically you need to stop posting until you learn a thing or two about frequency response measurements and the methedologies surrounding them.

I know you're proud of the fact that you learned the basics of interpreting a graph last week but please stop being so obnoxious about it and using it to push your shitty opinions and agenda.

600 owner here. Is the kz zs5 meme real? I need a new chink IEM but I'm holding off buying it.

Put your tripcode back on, DiPolar.
>get proven wrong
>hurr you can't read graphs
At least use a different trolling modus operandi if you're going to post as user.

I love that random anons accuse other random anons of being me

>calling out a personal boogeyman
now that's pretty pathetic, not to mention how you want to look well informed but is ok with using as sources.

I always recommend kz's to my friends looking for the "cheap but still decent" iem.

I'm very flattered this guys anus is stretched out by my existence and my taboo belief that there are better headphones than the meme600s for less than $300.

is it a good idea to have something as expensive as Shure SE215 to use for the gym or whatever?

Would IEMs isolate better than closed headphones?

>Would IEMs isolate better than closed headphones?
Generally, yes.

I don't even mind that they like the HD600, i don't find it bad or anything, i just find absurd the amount of shitposting done to defend a headphone that has it's faults like any other while bashing other headphones that are not half as bad as they claim, it's clear they never tested more than one or two, hell, they might not even have an HD600 as far as i know.

It's called post-purchase rationalization.

Put your trip back on

I get the impression a good percentage of the Beyer/Senn shitposting (both positive and negative posts) is insincere and done solely to make others angry.

Why else would HD600 shitposters post at all?

If the headphones were as good as they say they were they'd actually be listening to music with them instead of jerking off to cherrypicked frequency response graphs and shitposting on /hpg/ after they got shunned from r/headphones.

>done solely to make others angry
As one of the beyerposters it's the only reason I do it, to get assblasted HD 600 owners to start spamming FR graphs and other shit at me

Nice inspect element

Nice damage control

>He honestly thinks I post without the trip

:^) you can jerk off to cherry picked meme600 graphs and schiitstacks there

>shitposting and being mad instead of enjoying your headphones
Come on guys.

>too poor for Utopias
>buys worse HD650s instead
why?

Utopias use more plastic than elears. If I wanted a plastic headphone I'd buy HD800s (which I will later).

Probably because those are better than anything Sennheiser makes.

Not really, the Elear takes the HD 650 frequency response and adds a Beyer treble peak to it.

No, it takes the HD600 and craters the upper mids. I don't hear the 10K peak at all relative to HD600s. With EQ they're (obviously) great.

>No, it takes the HD600
Why would it take a worse headphone?

So what you're saying is the Elear is taking the HD 650 FR and fixing it by adding the treble back in.

No? The treble is rolled off there's just one sharp spike that kills your ears if you aren't deaf.

I'm just describing the FR as I hear it and how it measures on some graphs.
It has a lot less lower treble which is an issue that can be fixed with EQ. Upper treble is fine. The spike isn't nearly as bad as the graphs show.

Shhhh you don't wanna trigger him into shitposting cherry picked fqr graphs that he misinterprets as accurate.

Maybe I do :^)

If you were going to 'fix' headphones by EQing you should have bought the HD800 then. You can get them much cheaper than the Elear, they're infinitely more comfortable (Elear's cups are smaller than the fucking HD600/650 which are already small unless you're a woman) and its imaging is unparalleled, which you can try and fail to emulate with because it's still not entirely understood.

:^)

Idol trash here.
What's your setup like, user?

I'm picking up a pair of those later. The build on the elears is one of the best out there, and they're really nice looking to boot. The cups are bigger than the HD600 though, although the pads aren't as deep.

Note the HD 600 owner is banging on the walls, he's trying to hear some bass that his shit nobass HD 600 can't produce

How prevalent are counterfeit headphones?

hmmm....

The pad openings are smaller which render the larger cupsize useless.

As for the looks that's a matter of taste, I used to hate the look of the HD800 but it grew on me. They look awesome for photos and they always give off that 'high end' vibe, which is probably why they're always features in photos of meets etc.

I still don't really regret selling my HD800 though I barely use headphones now so the HD6XX covers any small session I want.

What does AKG stand for? How do I insult AKG owners with a witty corruption of their brand name?

The best insult to AKG is no insult, they're so irrelevant that they aren't worth mentioning.

Then he strikes his own skull to hopefully stimulate the stereocilia in his ear and allow him to hear the veiled treble of the hd600s.

They're a lot wider and only slightly shorter which personally fits my ears slightly better.

I'm I interested in owning the 800 as it was the original "holy shit this is so expensive for a headphone" for me, as well as for the soundstage/imaging qualities. I have to finish moving first cause otherwise I'm afraid they'll get scratched up in the process. In a couple months I'll definitely have 800s in my collection though.

Just pick up the LSR305 and have better sound than you'll get from any headphone on the market.

>I have to finish moving first cause otherwise I'm afraid they'll get scratched up in the process.
That's why you keep the box, and put them in the box for transportation.

>speakers
Wrong thread.

I don't know what's funnier, the fact that a $300 pair of studio monitors wreck every single headphone in sound quality or that people actually spend over $300 on headphones.

>Wrong thread.
You must be new here.

No, not really.
Speaker recommendations aren't appreciated unless people are specifically asking for speakers.

You have to spend a ton on headphones to begin to match the sound quality of a decent set of speakers.

Why do you think I ditched my HD 800 S? Even they couldn't compare.

>people actually spend over $300 on headphones
I guess they don't want to deal with making speakers sound good by having room treatment and proper placement

I don't like speakers, although maybe I'll try jumping into the ultra high end if I come across $10K sometime in the future. No more mid fi nonsense for me.
I can wait a month or two before buying new toys. It's one less thing to worry about.

Speaker discussion has always been welcome in /hpg/, it's just the speaker tripfags shitposting that put some new people off.

>having room treatment and proper placement
Not necessary, that's like buying a $500 amp to get 'the most' out of your headphones vs onboard audio, but for the most part it's a marginal improvement.

My beyers snapped after a few months

The "german quality!!!" meme is a scam
The "replaceable parts!" meme is a scam, costs 30% of the headphone cost for a single piece of plastic delivered, if you want to repair for "free" you have to pay for shipping which will be another £30 anyway, repairing them out of warranty costs MORE than buying a brand new pair (30 shipping + 75 repair fee)

Their support is nonexistant and all they do is spam you with macros saying "CONTACT YOUR LOCAL SELLER WE DINDU NUFFIN!" no matter what you message them with, never get to talk to a real human.

What's the point in any of it, they snap easily & repairing them costs just as much as sending them in for RMA anyway.

If you buy them from any place that doesn't offer free replacements you're wasting your money

>My beyers snapped after a few months
Surprise, surprise.
>The "german quality!!!" meme is a scam
You only just noticed?
>The "replaceable parts!" meme is a scam, costs 30% of the headphone cost for a single piece of plastic delivered, if you want to repair for "free" you have to pay for shipping which will be another £30 anyway, repairing them out of warranty costs MORE than buying a brand new pair (30 shipping + 75 repair fee)
It is for beyers. HD600 just don't break all that easily, and it's convenient to be able to replace any part if, say, after 15 years, something breaks. No repair fee nonsense, as they're user serviceable.
>Their support is nonexistant and all they do is spam you with macros saying "CONTACT YOUR LOCAL SELLER WE DINDU NUFFIN!" no matter what you message them with, never get to talk to a real human.
Exactly the opposite of Sennheiser, and their reputation for having seriously nice customer support.
>the TL;DR
Go HD600, no beyers remorse.

Can you replace the drivers? I have replaced the pads and cable over the years, but the left speaker needs fixing

Yes, you can replace the drivers. *every* part is replaceable.

neat, I'll have to track that down, as well as replacements for the plastic parts where the speakers join the headband

Before you do, I suggest you go to youtube and check out some disassemble/reassemble videos.
I'd try removing the driver, cleaning it separately and putting it back together before resorting to actually buying a new one.

>Buy $30 worth of acoustic foam and $5 can of spray adhesive and/or glue sticks
>Do this
>Proper positioning
>Costing anything and taking more than 10 minutes to do

Need advice on new headphones. I fucked up headphones socket in 3 or 4 smartphones in a row, so now I'm looking for something wireless.

>Budget
~100$

>Location
Eastern Yurop

>Source
Smartphone, maybe laptop

>Type of headphone
full size

>Open or closed
rather closed

>Comfort level
I sometimes wear headphones few hours a day, so comfort is important factor

>Sound signature
bassy

>Past headphones
I have Sennheiser HD 438, they are nice and comfortable but they got little bit loose after few years

bump for suggestions

Alright, recommend me something here:

Price: anything under 500$ is ok I guess

Location: literally irrelevant, paid 100$+ shipping charges my whole life

Type: full sized, closed

Comfort: everything hurts anyway, idgaf

Sound: as clear and neutral as possible. zero need for niggerbass, i want to hear my music precisely as it was recorded (digitalfags leave). Good soundstage desired.

Source: PC, maybe occasionally fat amp that I have hooked up to a vinyl deck

On a side note, please don't recommend anything that'll murder me with treble or can't be safely used for a whole day (assuming lower than average volume). I'm also interested in a DAC, as I know it can be required for a good pair of headphones, so do recommend one as well. Also, what's the best audio player? I've been using Winamp, but I do wonder if there's something better. FLAC only btw. I used to have a Sony MDR1A and an MDR 6 whatever (the cheap one that gets in all Sup Forums lists), they're... alright I guess. Also, do I need a sound card or something if I'm really pushing for the crispest, purest sound possible?

whelp, definitely need a new one now, there was a dust bunny on one of the thin coil wires that I tried to remove with tweezers and the whole wire came out

*OUCH*. Might be recoilabe, but the difficulty level just bumped considerably. Maybe time to call Sennheiser and/or look for sites selling the part.