Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

bunsenlabs.org/
windowsmatters.com/2014/01/03/updated-win8pe-includes-x86-x64-versions/
allegro.pl/acer-predator-g3-710-i7-7700-16gb-gtx1080-gaming-i6906520557.html
youtube.com/watch?v=k_GM1JA608Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Requesting lewds of queen callisto.

Do blind people feel 'Love at first sight'?

Are black people human

Xiaomi Redmi Note 4: meme or actually good?

Repost, because old one died.
So, my sound card jack output is on the last legs and the one in the front of a case picks up a static which is annoying, so I'm thinking about getting usb sound card. Is cheap shit like pic related good enough for my needs (just a clean stereo signal, something to plug into my stereo) or should look for the better options?

Gonna try to pull a quicken data file off my step dad's old hdd that was starting to fail. Since it'll be in his documents, will I have any probs seizing administration control to get into that folder?

I used a similar usb sound card thing for about a year when my headphone jack broke. Worked great and did the job well considering it cost next to nothing.

Some of them are shit and can fuck up your headphones.

>Bought lenovo ideapad 100s
>comes with win10, slow as fuck

What linux distro do i install to get the most of this?

bunsenlabs

No, but don't boot that drive. Run something else to copy the file.

Lubuntu

I'm gonna connect it as a secondary drive to my pc and then try to take the file and copy it onto a flash drive for him.

Which one would be prefereble, and why?

That's up to you
bunsenlabs.org/

You could do that. Or you could just boot from external media on his PC and copy it from there

windowsmatters.com/2014/01/03/updated-win8pe-includes-x86-x64-versions/

Also when that's done you could try imaging the disk with Macrium Reflect and see if you can save the whole thing, although a clean install would probably be simpler.

Lubuntu is a goto lightweight distro. Has full ubuntu compatibility with minimum resources. Also lets you decide at login to use netbook mode or even Window Manager only

my left click isn't working

it happens intermittently, help pl0x

Do some finger strength training exercise. Check youtube for examples.

So when I look up how to do back-ups, these videos and guides always explain how to use certain software, and how to use cronjobs to automate them, and other stuff.
But here's one simple thing i don't understand:

How do you automate a back-up, when you physically may not even have a second storage device attached to your computer at all times? I mean, wouldn't i need to have an external harddrive plugged into my computer at all times, in order to automate back-ups?

Or am i missing something really obvious, and there are back-ups that don't require external storage?

Buy replacement switch from chinkland. Desolder old one, solder in replacement.

The software can easily check what drives are available, so it checks if there in an external drive available. Also i would guess that you clarify what drive it should use, so that i only checks for that drive letter

Well you could use the network...
The windows builtin incremental backup thing backs up changed files to an intermediate directory when the destination drive isn't available and transfers them from there when it is plugged in again, or next time schedule runs and it is there, idk.

Some just backup to the same drive, which is stupid. And you can also backup to cloud services.

Did I screw up for letting my pirated Win10 to update?

It asked me again in the start up about sending info and statistics to the judens, the look of Defender changed and bugs me to turn on cloud protection and real time checks.

Will they find and block my windows if I keep updating?

Microsoft is fine with running unregistered win10. And even XP got updates when it was cracked.

Are the Google DNS exceptionally unsafe compared to the average ISP?

>Will they find and block my windows if I keep updating?
No. They don't care about your pirated installation.
If you were to start manufacturing and selling computers with pirated licenses you'd be in trouble.

>google
>marketing company
>responsible for extreme privacy invasion and soul stealing EULAs

This is why they make me wanna buy Win and Adobe programs when I can afford to.

There's a bug under my screen.

What do I do now?

Safe from who? If not using dnssec then your DNS queries are unencrypted UDP. Even if not talking to your ISP they can sniff that shit trivially. So can anyone who has tapped interchanges you packet goes through.
So the answer depends on what you mean by "safe". Are you worried about the owner of the server selling you data? Both google and your ISPs can, although I think we would have heard rumours if google was doing that whereas for ISPs I wouldn't be surprise. On the other hand if your ISP is not sharing data with the NSA (they are) then hitting their DNS server probably will prevent your packet from going through any interchanges.

Wait and hope it disappears magically.

Will a old hp Compaq with an Intel duo core E8400 be powerful enough for a pfSense router?

I'm running a 960 gfx and an amd 6300. Which should I upgrade first for the biggest noticeable performance increase.

Your IPS knows all the shit you're doing whether you use their DNS or not. Using a different DNS just doubles the number of people watching you.

throw away consumer routers are generally ~500mhz with 2 cores

Probably the processor, but it depends heavily on the applications/games you use. Look that shit up.

Get an SSD

If you don't mind lowering details in vidya then CPU.

Yeah but sometimes they fuck with results too.

I'm looking for a mechanical keyboard not for coding but for writing
>should have multimedia keys
>no numblock; as compact as possible yet normally sized keys
>F-keys directly on top of the numbers would be lit
>~$200 max
>noise, backlit etc irrelevant
What would you recommend?

Sweet, now may i ask what are some recommend cheap easy to find 1Gb NICs? on ebay and such?

I'm not saying there aren't reasons to use them, I'm just saying you don't gain any privacy from your ISP from using a different service.

how do private torrent trackers work?
I just registred on site and I did not need to enter any credentials to torrent client
it just works?

The torrent files you download from the site have your personal key.

Usually they embed your user code in the .torrent file you download. They do know what IP you're downloading from though, and sometimes they get pissy if it's not the one you logged in on.

ah

what audio codec do I use for Sup Forums again? libopus?

I think Sup Forums only allows vorbis

your user id is part of the tracker link embedded in the magnet/torrent file
it works like a cookie, that identifies you when your client connects to the tracker

My mobo detects my harddrive only every 10th time or so. Does that mean that my mobo or hard drive are broken?

I don't have a spare hard drive or SATA cable to test, but which one is more likely if the BIOS says that there's no hard drive connected? Once it recognizes it, it works flawlessly so that's telling me it's my mobo, but the fact that it sometimes recognize it tells me it might be my hard drive.

hey chaps, whats your av, do you even use one? i need one for my brothers work laptop and im at a loss, never had one.

try a different port

for windows i just set people up with clamwin + clam sentinel
clamwin being the av itself, and clam sentinel providing realtime scanning capability

I have an old raspberry pi model B I want to use for my backups. My first thought was something like 4 scavenged laptop hard drives in RAID5, but I'm opened to other solutions.
Here's what I intend to do :
>1 Raspberry pi
>4 hard drive, each with a SATA to USB cable
>Hard drives and RPi connected together through a powered USB hub

I will put there my important documents, backed up with something like rsync and my config / dotfiles backed up with version control.

Since I back up almost exclusively pdf, plain text or small files, I don't care about the transmission speed.

The raspberry pi will not be connected to the internet as an extra precaution against randsomware or shit like that. Rather, I'll manually connect it to a LAN and run backup scripts from my main machine via ssh.

Is this a good idea or am I falling in noob pitfalls? What should I change?

I'm having trouble removing some Windows tracking updates from my new OS
When I tried to uninstall, it says that it failed
So I went to the command prompt an tried to delete them manually with the wusa command
I got an Error 0x80004005
Every solution I've looked up online either doesn't work or requires me to download a package that must be upgraded to premium

What do I need to do?

Long story short:
>accepted at college
>living with my grandad now
>old fart that doesn't even consider my requests or opinions and thinks he's always right
>have a shitty router with a nasty wifi siystem around the house with the same internet contract for over 10 years
>no stable internet connection

How do I destroy the internet system without leaving any traces so that a cable guy comes here and replace it?

if you're ok with a couple megs a second, you could do that
the original pi (a and b) has a single usb2 root hub, with the 100Mb/s ethernet controller attached to it, which alone is a massive limitation for a file server, then you've got the slow as balls armv6 cpu, which is slow as balls, things like samba and ntfs-3g slow things to a crawl, those can be avoided though. a raid5/6 requires parity calculation, which while i haven't tested that on my piB, i imagine will be fairly strenuous on it as well

basically, the original pi is basically the worst hardware you can get for a file server, you'd literally do better with a near-20-year-old pentium III box

-- basically what i'm saying is, go and find yourself a cheap second hand desktop pc, and use that
add a sata/gigabit ethernet pci card if need be
if low power/noise is important, then look at other SBC's, something with a better cpu, and gigabit + usb3/sata

Is there any alternative to the Windows 10 keyboard for handwriting input? Have someone being really bitchy about it not properly recognizing his shit

My eyelid starts twiching uncomfortably whenever I try working in Debian. Is that normal?

My car has an android touch screen system in it. I want to connect an external HDD to it for storage, but the problem is obviously a hard drive (moving parts) in a moving vehicle.

Would I need solid state, would a secure mounting work, or are there any external hard drives made to endure external forces during operation?

By moving out and getting your own shit.

Are you mad you didn't go to college?

No, but you do have to be over 18 years old to post on this board.

which programming language do i have to use to make more money in the future

So you didn't go to college.

it might be enough to just support the hdd with shock-absorbing material
a 2.5" (laptop) hdd would probably be a good idea as well, as they'd be more likely to be designed around being moved while operating, and responding to shock

how ubuntu 16.04 will work on this allegro.pl/acer-predator-g3-710-i7-7700-16gb-gtx1080-gaming-i6906520557.html
is gtx1080 supported?

Why wouldn't it be, it's the same as every other nvidia card. (If you're a freedom autist, worth noting that the open source nvidia drivers are dogshit and you'll have to use the proprietary ones.)

It's more likely that some stupid shit like your network adapter won't be supported

Yeah, you may be right. But the more I think about it the more it sounds like I should bit the bullet and get a flash drive. My car's suspension is pretty rigid so dips and bumps rock it a lot. Maybe if I had a luxobarge, but.. Yeah.

are modular cables interchangeable between power supplies? can i take the cables (used or unused) from a supply im going to scrap and use it with another (different watages or even brand)?

what is the cheapest Uninterruptible power supply I can find?

the office where I work has constant power outages and I want to protect one or two critical machines for 15 minutes tops to save any work and shut down properly.

No the cable pinouts are not standardized

an ssd is a sure thing, of course, if you can afford it
how much space do you need? you're not putting bluray remuxes in your car, are you?

Nah nah just SD copies of mostly old TV shows. I can swap them in and out as I please so a 256gb thumb drive oughta work fine.

depends on the load

How do I use multiple proxies simultaneously on chrome with win7?
I only need about 4 or 5

thats crap. even among the brand / supplies in the same series?

Thanks for the advice. I'll look if I can scavenge some stuff at my uni's garbage.

Should I better do a NAS or just install ubuntu and just run the backup process with bash scripts?

Here's a question worthy of this thread: the Gentoo handbook says the minimal installation ISO will only boot into a non-uefi BIOS. Well that's not a problem, I can just boot my installation usb in bios mode. But then it says:
>Readers looking to make their system UEFI bootable must download the latest Hybrid ISO (LiveDVD).
Does this mean that my final installation will also not be uefi-incompatible?

Generally , when I configure gnu/Linux to my liking, how do I save the config file or settings/installed packages so I can automatically run it next time i clean install or use another machine and save me a bunch of time?

you don't, you use firefox and keep applying new ones over and over

Get one of the chink orange pi boards, they have SATA even on their lower-end ones (sub-$20).

>Should I better do a NAS or just install ubuntu and just run the backup process with bash scripts?
it's up to you, a NAS-dedicated system like FreeNAS might be easiest if you're not familiar with linux/bsd already, but if you are, then you can use whatever

A single proxy? But that'd give hardly any degree of anonymity

You have to use multiple firefox profiles IIRC.
I think you then run firefox -P my_profile to manage that efficiently.

It's really ugly and bad because profiles store all configuration including bookmarks and shit. Use a curl/wget script if you can

this link is polish auction service
how much need I spend for "assembled" (in polish- "składak" xD), or even used computer to have same parameters like in this: youtube.com/watch?v=k_GM1JA608Y
this thing cost ~32700PLN how much can I save

pretty sure he's talking more about things like foxyproxy, where you can specify different proxies for different sites based on user-written rules

No. Yes. Depends.
Cables are (usually) interchangeable within the same brand, regardless of wattage. But like said the pinouts aren't standardized, so the cables are absolutely not interchangeable across different brands.

Swapping cables within same brand and series is safe. Do some research if you're swapping from one series to another.
You can check out cablemod, see if they have one set of cables that fits both of your PSUs. If they do, you can be sure they're interchangeable.

So if I configure my browser setting to use a LAN proxy, then use foxyproxy for a certain website and then access it by a generic proxy site, would that be enough to offer sufficient protection?

I've heard the foxyproxy extension recommended before
How good is it? Are there manuals on how to use it?

good call, thanks.

i have the cables from my EVGA 650 G1, but it doesnt look like they will work with the G2

feels like such a waste

Please

Is there any (markdown)-editor that allows to export to html, that simply has a table of contents on the left side and the content on the right?

All I could come up with is using Word and Export to PDF, but that sucks, because you can't embed code in a syntax highligted box.

not sure but I think it means unless you use the hybrid iso then your system will only boot in bios legacy mode

Yes. I'd recommend to use the Live CD in either case because it offers much more functionality and less required fuckery with wifi etc

Happens to me too on gentoo

Java is a guaranteed slam dunk, if you want to learn just one.

Even though it's shit, it will never stop being used because Java is the woman-appeal programming language.