The med school ill be attending uses examsoft, and from what I've seen its not very stable on windows

The med school ill be attending uses examsoft, and from what I've seen its not very stable on windows.
That being said I cant really handle the stress of my fucking exam crashing and taking my grades down with it, and I need the long battery life
However, I dont really like macos, it's pretty counterintuitive to me and I really hated using the iMacs in my undergrad.

So my plan is to leave a small macos partition just for examsoft, and have arch installed with my regular i3 workflow.
But which Mac would be the best for this? The air seems (like op says) to run Linux pretty much ootb, and if the current Apple line up it has the best keyboard. The screen didn't suck to me when I tried it out irl but then again my main machine is an x200.
Is buying an old macbook pro risky? It looks like a 2015 one is the same price as a new fully specced air, but I'm afraid of the battery not having full capacity. Also not sure of the Linux compatibility.

Any Applefags willing to help?

Bumpu
Also sorry for the wall of text

Damn why are the macfags on here so unhelpful?

DON'T STAND SO
DON'T STAND SO
DON'T STAND SO CLOSE TO ME

My fellow /o/ nigga
Help me out so I can go race my civic with a few simple mods already!

Lol, go to other school.

Not happening sadly

Install Gentoo.

used laptops never have good batteries
are you sure it's more stable on mac than windows?

Pop a hole in the engine to boost that VTEC

It is sadly
So I should go with a new air then?

not true
If you're not willing to spend too much money, 2011-2012 macbook pros are still great and if you have torx screwdrivers, changing the battery isn't too hard either.
Linux compatibility is shit though.
Haven't used any of the airs myself, pop into the arch wiki and look for the MacBook sites, they usually have a pretty comprehensive list of models and their Linux compatibility.
If you do have a MacBook anyway though, just try out macOS for a while, it can do anything a Linux machine can too, and it actually is pretty intuitive.

I really need Linux support though

Sorry, I was retarded, shouldn't post my full name on Sup Forums probably.
If you really do need Linux support, Google it and read up on what other people say about it.
Then base your choice about which model to get on that.
Point with battery still stands - if youre buying it used just ask the sellers to screen cap coconutbattery or something so you can make sure it's actually still fine

They don't lose value very quickly. Buy a new one, take care of it, then sell it when you graduate for 75% of what you paid for it.

Examsoft is quite stable. When I was in med school 2 years ago I took the exam on an old HP 2530p and it never crashed.

What kind of windows did you use?
And how did you authenticate it?

Oh and just to add to it none of my current laptops have a battery life beyond like 3 hours, and thats with tlp and powertop running.
I have no clue what the battery life would be on windows and how much examsoft would tax it.

Just use MacOS wholly like any sane people would, or switch to CS/CE where you are actually given opportunities to meddle with your shit. You are literally not taking your work seriously right now.

I need muh Linux though

Went to a school that used Examsoft for everything, it only has problems on Macbooks from what I remember. I used it on probably 50 different exams and didn't have a single problem.

Stop fiddling with your 'linux' bull on your work laptop for crying out loud, and properly finish your med school while achieving decent results. Want to use it? Install it on a spare computer. Gambling with your results for your 'hobby' is a very foolhardy thing to do. I can only say you are simply not taking your studies seriously enough if you insist to run linux on your work laptop which can inherently affect your future. It is time to wake up and stop playing a fool.

install hackintosh

My only issue would be authentication. I'm not paying for windows
I really need my Linux. You don't understand

>retards like this can get into med school

I don't understand what? You need to get your Linux addiction sorted out in order to perform in med school. They are not cultivating you to murder your patients in the future. Get a Macbook, use MacOS, and seek help from a counsellor. You are putting your hobby way above your academics which is plainly wrong and a disgrace to your professors and your family members.

>falling for this retarded bait again

>you don't understand
stop replying to him.
if you want to solve your battery problem and windows license problem, a new thinkpad would be the way to go.
X1 Carbon for muh thin n light, X270 for improving on what you already have since you made this thread last week.

Really hate modern thinkpads, I might as well buy the Mac.
I use Linux for my research. It's part of what got me into med school in the first place. I plan on continuing that so I need a distro installed.
Macos has old libs so other than just using it for examsoft it's worthless.

In this case, get 2 laptops. Playing with Operating Systems on a laptop you are taking exams with is simply not worth it, period.

>macfags forever delusional
they aren't that bad. mostly just not nearly as waterproof as before. still loads better than macs, as well as on the keyboard front.
if you're really dead set against it though, the air will certainly work.