/pcbg/ PC Building General - nvidiots btfo edition

If you want help:
>Assemble your parts list
pcpartpicker.com/
>State the budget for your build (and country if not the USA)
>List games/software you use often, as well as your monitor resolution + refresh rate
>Clarify your goal for build improvements: lower price or improved specs?
How to assemble a PC, select components & more (kind of outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Build_a_PC

CPUs:
No i5 unless discounted
>R3 1200 - Budget builds (R3 1300x - Good stop-gap between the 1500x and the 1200, only get a 1400 if you absolutely need multithreading
>R5 1500x - Good but up to 1600 if you can
>R5 1600 - Best value for higher fps gaming / mixed usage; 1600x if you want higher stock clocks
>i7 7700k - Only for 144hz
>R7/Used Xeon/Threadripper - Compute/Multitask/VM/mixed use; Not for just gaming

GPUs:
Coin miners have driven price up and stock down, waiting to buy a GPU might be wiser
>Integrated CPU Graphics - Desktop stuff and very light games
>GTX 1050(Ti) - Lower end budget cards, drop settings on newer games, RX560 beaten by both
>RX570 - 1080p@60~hz maxed, running most maxed older games at 100~Hz
>RX580 and GTX1060 6GB - 1080p@80hz maxed, 1440p@60hz at lower settings; RX580 better in newer games
>GTX 1070 - 1080p@130hz /1440p@60hz at high
>GTX 1080 - 1080p@144hz / 1440p@60hz maxed, 4k@60hz in a few games; Probably the highest end card you need for 1080p/1440p
>GTX 1080Ti - 1440p@144hz and 4k@60hz maxed/high in many games

RAM:
>Check your Mobo QVL before buying any RAM
>Ryzen CPUs benefits a lot from high speed RAM

General:
ALWAYS LOOK AT PRODUCT REVIEWS!
Always consider an SSD. Try buying a large SSD for what you'd pay for your SSD+HDD combined, and add a HDD later
NVMe SSDs aren't for a faster OS boot, they're for productivity/scratch disk/VMs. NVMe and M.2 are not the same thing, M.2 is a form factor.
The Ryzen lineup comes with surprisingly good stock coolers. consider using them over any

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/user/lucoh/saved/Jw4K8d
pcpartpicker.com/list/HY7cnn
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/LHjPBP
amazon.com/Redragon-K552-RGB-Backlit-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B019O9BLVY
pcpartpicker.com/list/m9YyPs
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EI5ZRQY/
dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_B350-PLUS/PRIME_B350-PLUS_Memory_QVL_20170704.pdf
amazon.com/gp/product/B0134EW7G8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
pcpartpicker.com/product/TsfmP6/msi-b350m-gaming-pro-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b350m-gaming-pro
pcpartpicker.com/list/FD2HM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/y7Vrjc
zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/
pcpartpicker.com/list/HKys4C
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I bought a single stick of RAM 16 GB that runs @ 2400 Mhz.

Should I return it and get something else? I have an ASUS Prime B350-Plus and a Ryzen 5 1600. What RAM should I get? Is the CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 good?

Threadly reminder that you have to be mentally retarded to buy a dual core desktop CPU in 2017 and if your budget is really that low then just buy a used Xeon workstation and put a SSD in.

Here's the pic

Planning to overclock Ryzen 7. Still haven't decided on a case, so cooler size isn't limited. What should I get if I want cool temps and quiet as possible while pushing 3.9-4.0GHz?

>what should I get if I want cool temps and quiet as possible while pushing 3.9-4.0GHz?
R5 1600, it should hit at least 3.9 and has a fairly low TDP

pcpartpicker.com/user/lucoh/saved/Jw4K8d

Like to make it cheaper, while still running most steam games

Isn't that TDP just based on stock specs?

pcpartpicker.com/list/HY7cnn

I think I'm done with this list. But I have a question about RAM. Can I just get one stick of 8gb and add another stick later on? Someone suggested getting a dual channel kit but I don't want to take up spots for potential future upgrades.

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/LHjPBP

Anything to change?

>Like to make it cheaper
First off, pirate your OS. Jeez.
And you can get a nice chink mech keyboard for way cheaper. Don't buy Razer products.

Maybe take a look at different case and keyboards. I was looking at the redragon RGB and it seems pretty good. but I've never had the chance to test it so idk

>Can I just get one stick of 8gb and add another stick later on?
You could, sure. But I highly recommend getting two sticks because it's double the bandwidth.

same question as in old thread, going to build my first PC, having trouble deciding between an i7 or Ryzen. It'd be mostly used for gaming, but i want to future-proof it and not have to worry for some time about upgrading. Which should I get?

amazon.com/Redragon-K552-RGB-Backlit-Mechanical-Keyboard/dp/B019O9BLVY

pcpartpicker.com/list/m9YyPs

Added bonus, you can now overclock

Ryzen

would it be super noticeable? I want to try to upgrade it pretty soon if I chose just one stick

also, i've been seeing that nvidia is offering free copies of Destiny 2 with their 1080s, but i'm not really sure which ones would quality. If I got a 1080 FTW hybrid from amazon, would it qualify? (in US btw)

Looks good

Wtf are those companies, and why are they so expensive? I can get the exact same ram but $50 cheaper from newegg

Future-proofing is a genuine meme and both processors will be obsolete around the same time.

It doesn't hurt to ask, but keep in mind that they're really shitty when it comes to free stuff. I bought my RX 480 like a couple of days before AMD started giving away free copies of Doom to customers and they told me to fuck right off.

lol if you intend to upgrade, just buy two sticks now so you don't have to worry about it. If you're really that insistent on getting one stick, you can always upgrade it, since RAM is easy to replace.
And yes, always go with 2 sticks instead of 1. It's noticeable.

i7 7700k is the best you can get right now for gaming besides the i7 7740x scam

Australian dollar pricing

I see

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01EI5ZRQY/

I have this and its stable at 3200. Dual channel > single channel, so I would return and buy this instead, unless you really want 32GB of slower ram.

He's in Australia, so they're local companies that wouldn't charge you an arm and a leg for shipping to a penal colony.

he said futureproof so you gave him a 4 core CPU in 2017?
pathetic

I'm sure nvidia is shaking in their boots over a 1080 tier dual 8 pin reference card
I would be

I accidentally got some stock thermal paste in my mouth. Am I going to die?

I don't see it on my mobo support page. dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_B350-PLUS/PRIME_B350-PLUS_Memory_QVL_20170704.pdf

Would this also work? amazon.com/gp/product/B0134EW7G8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1
It's 3000 Mhz, though.

No
Maybe an upset tum tum but no death

Not today

>I accidentally got some stock thermal paste in my mouth
are you legitimately retarded. how did that even happen? it's not fucking tooth paste, why would you have that even remotely near your mouth?

what mobo do people like for r5s?

The second one you linked is a tiny bit slower than the 3200 kit, but much better than what you have now. I'm phoneposting so looking through that PDF is aids.
You can sometimes save a few bucks buying different colors from corsair, the last character in the model# is what signifies that, all that changes is the color of the heatspreader. (...c15W , c15R, etc)

B350 motherboards with good VRMS
Gigabyte Gaming 3
Asrock Pro 4
Asrock Fatal1ty
Asus Strix
Asus Prime B350 Plus
MSI Mortar
MSI Tomahawk
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon

>Not today
Piccy related.

I got it on my fingers and washed my hands, but my fingers were still a little sticky. Then I touched my fingers to my lips a few times without thinking.

As rock b350s, MSI tomahawk.

I have the msi mortar and it just works. People hate on MSI for what reason but ive been using them for every build I've done as their QVL isn't complete shit to browse and they are pretty cheap.

Thank you user. Why is dual channel better, though?

thnx user, ill look into those.
have a mermaid.

>have a mermaid.
b-but I'm gay...

Is this good idea?
2× Xeon 4cores @ 2.5Ghz + weird looking cooler. 40$
Lga 775 extended ATX mobo. 60$
Ram 16gb ddr3l. 50$
Case. 10$
Psu. 30$
Gtx 980. 70$
Will the CPUs run @ 5.0Ghz or just as 2 CPUs @ 2.5ghz?

And also will it work as a workstation pc or gayming pc?

Don't forget that X variants are higher binned. meaning a better chance at higher clocks.

>have all computer parts ready for purchase
>can't decide on a case

>rice is pain

what about this MSI b350 gaming pro?
pcpartpicker.com/product/TsfmP6/msi-b350m-gaming-pro-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b350m-gaming-pro

You effectively double the bandwidth. There are a ton of articles that go in depth and give benchmarks if you are curious.

It's great for budget builds but some people say the VRMs are bad. I personally recommend it though. I'd prefer an MSI Mortar or Tomahawk though

yes

That one is alright too,

You do only get 2 ram slots so keep that on mind of you plan on adding more later. The mortar has 4 in the same matx form factor, for example.

thnx user

>b-but I'm gay...
have a gay mermaid

Can i run Windows 7 ryzen?
I've never used windows 8 or 10 and a lot of people say that windows 10 is really bad.

It won't install the USB drivers and there are no updates when you have an AMD Ryzen or Intel Kaby Lake processor.

Will CPUs run @2.5ghz or @5.0ghz

If I own windows 7 I can upgrade to Windows 10 for free right?

If you're a college student, you can get Windows 10 for free.

Fuck.
From 1-10 how close is the windows 10 to 7? If it's less than 3 any good os suggestions?(except gentoo)

not anymore. They ended that last year.
You can install Windows 10 for free though and activate it later when you have the money for the key. It'll still work unactivated, you just won't be able to customize the theme.

>Buy the key

It's like 30 bucks.

I tried building my first pc for 15 hours and was posting a bunch of question on the last 2-3 build threads and my pc didnt turn on, probably my fault but thanks Sup Forums for helping at least, I'm depressed so I'll be back in a week when I feel like completing my pc.

I am extremely poor, are there any starter PC's on ebay that are cheap, but upgradeable?

I looked at Dell Optiplex and some HP Compaq pro's, but they don't usually state the motherboard.

there might still be a way if you go the disability route using certain options.
yes, microsoft is that lazy/jewy that they make people pay but have a backdoor open to get as much people to upgrade.

bought pro for 3€ a few months back

>15 hours
Are you creating your own cpu and gpu?
post pics.

What is budget?

>prebuilt

just no user. depending what you need it for buy used parts from a friend you can trust (not some ebay/craigslist shit unless you really know what to look for) or start piecemeal by mix&match like new cpu+board, older gpu etc.

So, what do you recommend for cooling it?

Nah just was trying to be extra careful cause I just wanted the thing to work, hopefully in one go which of course didnt happen. I put my PC in a separate room in my house and I refuse to look at it until I get my head straight.

TYAN S3992 Dual Socket F AMD Motherboard

AMD Opteron 2431 2.4GHz 6-Core CPU (x2)

16GB Kit 8x2GB Hynix ECC DDR2

Antec Neo ECO 400W Power Supply

Arctic Alpine 11 GT Rev 2 75W CPU Cooler (x2)

Free case.

Salvaged case fans

r8 my 2012 teir build.

Fractal Design is the way to go. I jumped on the S340 meme, but was not satisfied. Just got a Define C and it is so logically put together; plus it's pure quality.

Is there a repository for W10 like they did for 7?

Anything that goes on an AM4 socket, that isn't obviously for a 1400, or from noctua(overpriced meme shit).
they run cool as fuck user.

I have $125 saved up.

I usually manage to save around $15-20 a month unless something bad happens.

Been using pic related for 6 years, but the power supply and hard drive are failing, it was pretty cheap though, $50 at goodwill.

I did the same when building first pc. Specially when installing cpu i was shaking so much that i broke a one of the cpu pins.
Good luck user.

Ok, so i've come up with what looks like a good Ryzen build, time to let you guys tear me a new one for no reason

pcpartpicker.com/list/FD2HM8

pcpartpicker.com/list/y7Vrjc

Going to be used for gayming (mainly emulators, some modern games), as well as VM's and possibly playing with the stream processors. I haven't put together a computer build since 2010 so I'd like some critique. Is there any way I can get this cheaper without sacrificing too much performance? I plan on overclocking as much as I can.

But what about keeping it really quiet? Could I overbuild the cooling/go liquid and have it be basically silent even under max load?

Ryzen you can drop in a stronger CPU up through 2020 supposedly on AM4

How would I go about buying a key once I had the money

Looks good

Either through the windows store directly (icon is next to the search bar which is next to the start icon) or buy a key off kinguin and activate it in the settings.

Go Scavenge hunting.
Search for used parts/pcs on Facebook and Craigslist. A lot of people give old pcs for free.
Go to pc junkyards.

is Wrong, You can still upgrade for free from 7 or 8.1 to 10 if you claim you use the accessibility features. There is no actual check for this, but as long as you claim it you can still upgrade for free. Just google "windows 10 upgrade accessibility"

Watercooling will give you more time till you have to ramp up the fans. Pumps are pretty quiet nowadays. If you're running it at 100% for a min or two, before more 'idol' go air cooling as it's cheaper.
But if you're going to peg it all day get watercooling.

literally ebay. or any other key site. never buy that shit directly, it's always WAY overpriced.

but before you do any of that just fucking google and try this: zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

I'd bump up to 3200 ram if you're already spending that much. An air cooler at that price would work just as well and be quieter. That hdd is probably refurbished if you're okay with that.
Otherwise it's solid.

How would I go about buying a key once I had the money? How much functionality will I have ?
Can you put it on a USB drive and install it on a new build?

Is it ok to run pc without case fans?

>How would I go about buying a key once I had the money?
see:
The only thing that you can't change in the unactivated version are personalization options like the color theme. Otherwise, it works just like normal Windows 10, just with a watermark in the lower right-hand corner asking your to activate it

>craigslist

Do this. I can usually get some decent gear for next to nothing from local people looking to get rid of shit.

tfw got 3200 ram but its clocked at like 1050mhz which with dual channel is like 2100 right?

I tried just manually bumpig it to 3200 in the bios and it wouldnt boot

now what?

I wouldn't use AS5 anymore as it is readily outperformed. If you already have some then don't bother replacing it but since you're buying it new you might as well get something better. Get some Gelid GC Extreme, TG Kryonaut, or Artic MX-4

if you're components stay cool enough, sure.
main reason you run case fans is to circulate out the hot air, if there's no need for it...

What are you thinking of installing from the USB? Windows 7? the upgrade from 7 to 10? a clean version of 10?

Things will get toasty, but as long as your components have good coolers then you should be fine.
Are we also talking about 100% passive cooling, or just not having any case fans but still having them on your CPU cooler and video card?

A clean version of Windows 10

pcpartpicker.com/list/HKys4C

microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

download the program and select usb. need atleast 3 gb.

if G4560's price returned to $60, will it recommended again ?