There is no user friendly *BSD, right?

Wrong

- Safer than Linux
- Incorporates best init system called OpenRC
- No obscure GNU policy
- No obscure packages
- No NSA-Kernel developed

What Makes TrueOS® Different?

What makes TrueOS different? TrueOS is based on the legendary security and stability of FreeBSD. TrueOS follows FreeBSD-CURRENT, with the latest drivers, security updates, and packages available. Also, our brand new driver package brings in support for newer Intel graphics chipsets and hardware. We pride ourselves on providing industry leading features like PersonaCrypt, which allows encrypting your user home directory and carrying it to other TrueOS machines. TrueOS also supports GELI full disk encryption, keeping your data secure even in the case of physical theft. So go ahead and give us a try. If you hit any snags along the way, we are glad to help.

trueos.org/blog/milestone-complete-openrc-conversion/

>So go ahead and give us a try. If you hit any snags along the way, we are glad to help.
I tried, but had issues with boot media when trying to install it on an old thinkpad with switchable graphics. Tried iso, and img with similar results under different bios configs.

>thinkpad
that's why you won't succeed in life

name sounds like it would be a chat client

What makes it so secure? It's innovative no-network-drivers™ technology ensures you won't be able to download malware from anywhere

I bought two to try bsd. How fucked am I socially?

TrueOS only works in a virtual machine for me. If I want to run bsd natively I only have luck with openbsd, or netbsd.

>using powerpc
why?

>using powerpc
But I'm not.

>I only have luck with openbsd, or netbsd.
Because it's the only BSD that is actually used on real hardware by the devs.

PCBSD/Trueos would have been much better off forking OpenBSD instead of FreeBSD.

Basically fork OpenBSD, add procfs, port FreeBSD's jails to have something to substitute cgroups and then add some daemons for normie user friendliness like mount USB drives on plugin, a WiFi connector with arch's wifimenu and you have a full user friendly OS with still more security than GNU/Linux, can port roughly 99% of Linux Software without compat layer and that's it.

Long term steps: replace fucking UFS

>They renamed PC-BSD

Fucking why?

>- Safer than Linux

Oh, that kernel which one researcher found dozens of trivial security bugs in this year? Obscurity might make you feel more secure, but that's not real security user.

>- No obscure GNU policy

What.

>- No obscure packages

"We're so good because we have _less_ software." Wow, you're really selling this.

>- No NSA-Kernel developed

And how would you know? You think that the NSA puts their stamp on code that is intentionally going to give them backdoors? SELinux has their name on it because they actually use the fucking thing.

I've been running Linux, Window and OSX for years and decided to try openBSD yesterday for the first time and it's absolutely amazing. Easy install and setup, simple functionality and no bullshit.

Sheer, pure, unadulterated, weaponised autism.

Try playing a 1080p video in YouTube on fullscreen and look at your cpu usage

>Long term steps: replace fucking UFS
that's why TrueOS use freebsd as base

Doesn't seem as bad as it could be. It's an i5 x220.

I think we could easily live with UFS until the priority work is done. Also porting ZFS to OpenBSD or even ext shouldn't be too too much of a big deal

Tell me 1 reason why OpenBSD is better than FreeBSD

>I've been running Linux, Window and OSX for years and decided to try openBSD yesterday for the first time and it's absolutely amazing. Easy install and setup, simple functionality and no bullshit.
Fucking this. Everyone teued tobtell me how hard openbsd is to get working, but it's pretty much installs itself, and every question that you were going to ask has already been officially answered by someone in the simplest of ways. With OpenBSD you could answer most if not all your own issues if you just rtfm.

You do realise that it's a lot
It runs on actual hardware lmao?

trueos is running on my i3 from 2014 with 750ti :}

Let me show you a good font rendering.

>is running
>barely walks

>pale moon
degenerate
they are migrating the server, the CA expired ~2 hours ago

It's significant but I don't spend time watching 1080p videos on youtube, the screen itself isn't even 1080p.

I can't? I'm new to BSD as a whole and thought I'd try openBSD first. There's no argument here.

why do you spread the i5 TRUEOS is slow meme?

They will migrate freetype2 too or is it expired 2 hours ago? :^)

>:^)
stop

what i wanted to tell you is that you have no gpu acceleration on OpenBSD at all. try running tuxracer or even some basic 2d utility like xfdashboard in case you are on xfce. It's almost unusable for anything that actually moves.

Don't get me wrong, I like OpenBSD and even commit to it. I sell custom built OpenBSD firewalls, routers and NAS to small and medium-sized companies in Germany. But on a desktop? I don't know.

isn't freetype2 installed on Gentoo/Arch by default?

TrueOS > linux confirmed?

depends on your hardware. all my machines including laptops have gpu accel on openbsd (mix of inteldrm and radeondrm drivers). your experience may vary

>yfw trueos kills Canonical

If that would be the only issue with it.

dumb loli poster

>You do realise that it's a lot
I'd like to see yours on any system. Youtube takes a lot of CPU regardless, my FX 6300 overclocked to 4.1GHz keeps all 6 cores running at about 35-40% load on youtube while I'm watching 1080p videos.

>doesn't even boot in VirtualBox
DISCARDED

Is that really U S A B L E with labtobs?

but why did they go with KDE?

If you are good with Linux you should be good with *BSD, no one says otherwise

>What Makes TrueOS® Different?
Less compatibility, shitter hardware drivers

>There is no user friendly *BSD, right?

Yeah there is, it's called macOS / Darwin, LOL

TrueOS isn't very good but maybe someday it will be a decent alternative to Linux.

Your points:
>Safer than Linux
Less eyeballs, see the defcon notes that have been circulating here for weeks, hardenedBSD is a cool project and very attractive now that grsec is all but gone on Linux for the public, in the future it probably will actually be safer

>OpenRC
Not the best init, that would be launchd, OpenRC really looses its magic once you need to actually do something with it

>No GPL/GNU
A big plus, for sure

>Obscure Packages
lol

There's some other problems though:
Buggy hardware support
Horrible DE / DE options (this, compatibility, and performance is going to determine whether 99% of people stick with an OS)

FreeBSD has a big problem in that its devs all use macs and it doesn't have a real desktop install base in the way that OpenBSD does.

TrueOS is a shitty fucking name too, somehow they found a worse name than PC-BSD