Desks are technology

Desks are technology

Can we talk about desks?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6vCGwJ1vs0w
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm more of a KDE guy myself.

A Vega thread died for this. Shame on you OP!

anyone know a good looking stand/sit?
one that doesnt cost a fortune would be nice

Is stand/sit a meme? It's impossible to cable manage effectively, and shouldn't I just put the extra money into an expensive meme chair like the Embody?

>desks are technology
>not posting glorious aura

where are the amd risen standing desks

Mine sucks ass.
The white paintwork is getting yellow because of minor light after 1 year and scratches up when you just think about it

I want to break free of my Swedish furniture nightmare. Where should I buy my next desk?

this site is +18

Glass tables.
Never ever.

You don't see shattered wooden tables, do you?
You don't see a scratch on your wooden table and go "aw fuck it's ruined!", you go "..." because nobody gives a fuck about scratches on solid wood.

I bought an IKEA dinning room table in 1999 for $200. Its solid oak, and I've never seen them sell anything this good since. Now its all stupid particle board, weird metal legs, excessive flare, or other minimal weird design crap

Just buy a seat that lets you put it up really high.
Buy a standing desk.
Done.

I'm all about ghetto desks. to date i've used wire-rack shelving, craig'slist kitchen countertop, a cardboard box from a washing machine, a broken washing machine, a TV tray (supporting the monitor, keyboard, mouse, and tower), and a $20 folding table from costco.
the wire shelf was my favorite.
what amazingly retarded thing did you do to break a tempered glass desk?

>Dangling feet

user solid wood tables start at like $1000

Unless you're a child who never had to buy his own furniture you'd be upset if your solid wood table got a gash in it.

>Is stand/sit a meme?

Depends on the type of back problems you have.

For me standing only makes things worse.
But I have a colleague who really benefits from it.

>It's impossible to cable manage effectively

We managed fairly well.
Just add some slack to anything connected to the walls.

I use a Craftsman work bench as a standing desk. PC sits on one side, gun vise and soldering station on the other.

reported for underageb&

I've got a cheap Ikea handcrank sit stand, love it

put your cables in an organizer fixed to the desk. Keep a powerbar in there and you'll only have power (and Ethernet I guess) coming out and to the wall.

It's for sure a meme but it's good for ya

He probably set something down on its corner and the whole thing shattered because it's tempered glass.

>Having your PC on your desk

>putting the tower on the floor
it's like you enjoy cleaning dust out of fans.

>your solid wood

user I want you to think about that post.

>You can only put your PC on the floor or on your desk

>weird metal legs

In what way?
Something like pic related is fine: nothing to bump your feet against and height adjustable.

>i wear my tower like a backpack because it's as close as i'll ever get to a hug

That's just retarded.

>handcrank

How often do you actually crank it up or down?

i've got one of these, it's big as hell

so is whatever bullshit you're whining about

Why?

>not sitting on your tower
plebs

depends on how often you fap

I bought the 160x110cm one and kind of wish it was wider. Almost enough room for a 4th screen but not quite.

Does anyone have any advice for someone with long arms:height? I'm 5'11"/180cm long, and my wingspan is 6'4"/193cm. My main issue is that I've irritated my nerves on the underside of my arms and irritated my carpal tunnel.

Since I've gotten a chair with arm rests, the majority of the pain and twitchy movements have subsided. I still ice my forearm and wrist, and do stretches for it every hour or so if I'm gaming. The thing that's bothering me now is that even though my forearms are leveled with the desk, my shoulders have to be shrugged quite a lot in order to achieve it.

Has anyone else had and solved a problem like this? I'd like to see some input from someone else who has had the same issue, is all. I've been looking into making a standing desk or a desk low enough for my spaghetti arms in my dad's garage because he's got a whole bunch of wood he's got lying around gathering dust.

When cs1.6 came out in 1999 I was using an ironing table for my keyboard and mouse.

Good times

Made one in sketchup 2 years ago, printed and took it to local woodworking/furniture firm. Costs me something like $150 and it's really perfect for my needs.

Pretty easy to put together your own, especially if there's an IKEA near by
Grab one of their solid countertops for like $120 and source someone local to weld up legs
Pic related cost me a little over $400

Just make sure it's height adjustable, preferably without having to use tools. (my desk has a button you press to release one leg so you can adjust it in 1cm increments)
Maybe even spend a little more to have it adjustable via a crank.

I think all offices use height adjustable desks like that.
You can buy them quite cheap 2nd hand and replace the top to get a new looking desk.

If you get one you will need a mat that will force your body to move to stop your legs from getting injured. I don't remember the name of it but you should get it if you get a standing desk.

What the fuck are you talking about?

The point of stand/sit is to change positions every hour or so.
For example sit for 1 hour then stand for 30 minutes, then sit again for an hour, etc.

You're not supposed to stand all day long.

>powerbar
Chocolate or peanut butter?

MALM master race

I raise you a Fredde

I really like the top, don't care much for the legs. Especially on carpet. I'd feel better about it if it was in a modern office or something similar.

my computer desk is a $30 folding table

Those screens are way too high

This.
All those stand-memers are fucking their joints up so hard.
People that work in retail standing all the time would like a word with them.
Shits pain.
It's a one-way trip to arthritis and other joint pain, muscle wasting, tendon damage and others. Not to mention constant activity just takes months off your maximum possible age no matter how good your diet is. There is such a thing as too much exercise. Fit-freaks die a lot more than you'd think, for example. (outside of the ones that have unknown heart conditions, that is)

The human body never evolved to be constantly standing or active.
The larger an animal, the more it needs to rest for a period.
This is why tiny little birds can fly around faster than eyes can see all day and elephants like a little chill swim through the day.
There's very few animals that are exceptions to this. They are usually very successful predators that work in groups to get around limitations of Earth-based biology, so technically don't count either.
They are closest to human success as other animals get when it comes to coordination.
We just had the right conditions that led to massive brain increases and abstract thought.

I have one of these but the hinge in the middle will never become fold down all the way so the whole table is at like a 2 degree slant. Is your table gay too but if not what brand is it?

My friend got drunk and sent a mug through his, they're cheap but look good at least

Mainstays

I got it at Walmart to replace a very old dilapidated wooden "desk in a box" desk I've had since childhood that was all fucked up from various mistreatment due to being a dumb kid.

I don't notice any slants in it, seems flush to me. It does have a seam in the middle and the surface is a bumpy plastic texture, so you can't actually write papers on this desk, but who the fuck writes anymore? It's perfect for a computer.

Build one. Not terribly difficult and you can get Home Depot or Lowes to cut wood for you.
I built a workbench out of MDF and 2x4s a good 7-8 years ago for ~$60; 8' long, ~36" deep, ~4' high

lol manlet

I have long legs and arms, but not a freakishly long torso, no.

Would pic related be too much?

I'll be making a Purple heart desk soon. I need something 74in long with a custom height, and no store has the proper desk.
Materials would be $310 give or take.
About 15 hours of labor.

People in retail can't sit when they want to. The point of the stand desk is to get up and sit when you want.

Opinions on this shell? Only $150

Mac fag BTFO.

Jerker Master Race.
Pic is only lacking the LCD monitor in the middle.

Cheap furniture is all made of the hollow honeycomb particleboard that Ikea furniture is made of. It's crap if you want to put anything remotely heavy on it

Shame the ended the Jerker. Never got my hands on one.

Currently rocking pic related.

t h i s

It's mdf desu

clearly he watches too much Minus Shrek Tips

forgot about those! I've just been splitting my time between sitting desks and standing desks.

more like I don't want to move it while the disks are spinning (inb4 all-SSD mustard race)

good taste in h/w but where is this located? I see tile floor and what appears to be part of a staircase.

that looks dope except I get pissed when I move and my legs/knees knock into things underneath :/

Yeah but some of those fags take it as "oh no sitting is killing me?! I must stand FOREVER!"

Not my picture btw.
Some dude I found online that looked hilariously bad.

That's what happens when you print out a meme and post it on the wall.

Galant was far better. I got a giant corner table similar to this. If you're missing the extended shelves on top just screw a few of Ikea's floating shelves onto the wall.

>not buying the IKEA Linnmon

Most minimal desk setup you could ever buy.

Does anyone have good recommendation on monitor stands/risers?

>tfw try to find a glorious desk setup of this magnitude only to be disappointed by the shit tier $200+ straight desks on Amazon and elsewhere

It's hard to find a desk with remotely good depth to it without having to search under executive desks.

I have a Linnmon and is garbage, unless it stick it to the wall it wobbles af

Buy a Gerton and some legs. Put a couple coats of poly on it and you have a gorgeous desk.

That meme was way too heavy for mere mortals.

This is something I am considering in my room when I do it up in a couple months.
Right side for my computering stuff.
Left side for another hobby at the same time (be it electronics, drawing, etc.)
Also going to have a huge wall of open storage with boxes that just slide in and out. No hanging braces, no sliders, just boxes resting on the wood. I'll make sure they can fit a typical large laptops dimensions with room to spare, that's about the biggest flat surface I think I would need. (have a bunch needing repair or salvage)
If it comes to it, I might actually make a double-width box. where else will I put my robot sex doll project?

Just tighten the screws on it. It doesn't wobble unless you're constantly smashing your fists on it like an angry manchild.

But Ikea no longer makes the Galant, so good luck with finding a replacement.

>subwoofer on desk

what did he think would happen

I'd just build it myself.
Wood base, wood slapped on the top, li'l sanding, paint it up, done.
Woodworking is also one of those hobbies.

Like the placement of the USB hub.

youtube.com/watch?v=6vCGwJ1vs0w

>sports shit
>metallica clock
>bunch of western/rocky mountains wallpapers
>Mac OS

dudebro

that's not my desk, just someone who made a gerton look nice

A desk without a hutch or at least higher shelves feels like half a desk setup.

Love that 90's design with the CD racks and slide-out shelves.

Is that USB hub glued or velcro'd on? Either way, great wiring job.

>$1200 meme chair

Jeez

Well either ways good luck. I'll probably replace the Galant's desk top with solid wood once the current one deteriorates. Gonna be a pain to cut a perfect and large curve though.

>iToddler
>dongles coming out of your desk.

lol

same. im tfw greater leverage and stride without the stress of having to bend my back to conform to one size fits all activities

except the fact that my arms hurt when I'm at my desk ouch oof

There is no staircase, this is actually a slanted roof. Behind the desk is my kitchen, on my right is pic related.
Thinking about it, I don't remember seeing lot of tile floor outside of kitchens/bathrooms in the US, while it's pretty common in Europe

With a nice desk and clean space like that you couldn't setup near a natural light source? That blue lighting would fuck with my eyes after an hour or so.

Easy way is use a paper / cardboard curve traced from original desk.
Then when you have it mostly cut out, you use a fine sander to get it as perfect as you are happy with.

You can make your own curves using the method in pic related.
Cannot remember the name of this for the life of me.

On to u lanky faggot. Get ye gone!

>You're not supposed to stand all day long
That is what the mat is for

The mat keeps your joints moving because the surface is uneven

5clocks/10

That stain job looks like shit, what's wrong with you?

>74in long

where in fuck are you going to get 5 board feet of solid Purpleheart for $310?

>nobody gives a fuck about scratches on solid wood
I don't think you're thinking about actual wood, I think you're thinking of cheap composites. Actual wood desks cost over 1k.

>cheap
I can't find any cheap handcrank desks on ikea, what's the name of the one you're using?

>not putting your desk on a slightly elevated surface above the floor.
It's like you don't even care about your space user.

more like 14bf for 1"x24"x84"

I'm pretty sure that's a printed press-on.