Why do people hate linux so much? I legitimately don't understand the hate. Just don't use it if you don't like it...

Why do people hate linux so much? I legitimately don't understand the hate. Just don't use it if you don't like it? Nobody is forcing you to use Linux.

Some reasons why I prefer it over others:
>just werks
>updates are painless
>21st-century filesystems
>support for massive number of devices out of the box
>great package repositories, can install and update all my software from one place

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6381
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's all a game user, when you don't have anything to talk about and you want some (you)'s you make a bait thread about it.

It just so happens that loonix users are the easiest group to bait because they are so sensitive about their operating system. This doesn't happen outside of Sup Forums

help some nerd is posting his blog and i dont want to read it

because people like yourself don't acknowledge it's flaws and unironically say that is just works

because people like yourself don't acknowledge it's flaws and unironically say that is just works even though it's full of flaws, not to mention the lack of software to replace that which is available on windows and osx without sacrificing features.

The reason why is because no matter how big it gets, there's still at bare minimum going to be 10% of the user base acting as pure dead weight wherein they don't do anything besides "recommend" newbies autism distros. No matter how easy a good mainstream distro is, they will always be there to say "oh you're new you should use slackware" and then some journalist will write yet another article about how linux is stuck in 2003 which in their case is true because they got duped into using a turd distro. They'll also believe what spergs have to say along the lines of "ubuntu is much worse than slackware" and won't try it.

Reason why this is happening is because they think linux is their secret club, they are quantum-"recommending" you this shit because they want you to fail. This is basically what you do when you can't acknowledge that it's your own fault that you will never have any kind of income and you just spend a few decades pissing in the pool before you end up killing yourself.

There is so much hate because newbies understandably can't figure it out given this situation and then they go to threads with non-autism distros working and wonder why the fuck their install which didn't ship with any drivers or software sucks.

Shit software available (if any is available for what you want to do)

>Inb4 blender and openoffice is all you will ever need for the rest of your life and if you need to anything else fuck you

>Inb4 use Windows inside Linux

You're still using Windows

Samefag!!!

humans are very tribalistic, notice how many of them try to be part of certain groups?

> I'm a WINDOWS user
> I'm a STEAM gamer
> I'm a PC gamer
> I'm an Apple user.
> I'm a Democrat/Republican
> I'm a Console player

if they have no group to identify being part of and no opposing group to hate, they feel like they're not part of "the tribe".
Most people don't realize this and are simply slaves to their own instincts and urges, just pick what is best for you.

because they're similar to vegans

>just werks
>updates are painless
Most of the time updating anything breaks 20 other things

in debian unstable, maybe

We're talking about GNU/Linux, not Windows/NT.

More people hate windows and mac than hate linux my man

lets get real for a moment. You install windows 10 in about 45 minutes and for most linuxes its about the same but remember. Biggest base linuxes are about 1 gigabytes or 2 while windows 10 can be more than 5 gigabytes of data. And what happens when you open them. On the linux there are about 2 functional buttons, 3 are nonfunctional and in those two buttons there are some pictures to play with. Maybe slide down or up. On windows though, you feel like a god. Its professional its fast, its all functional. You have a godlike user interface. The thing that the linux does not have. You have those two buttons in the linux, but you still search google for codes to write in terminal. Linux is free because its not worth a penny. Nobody would sell a paper without taking the money. Just not sure why people still buy android while windows phone does 10 times more. Trust me. When you work with windows you know some genius ground breaker dedicated himself to give you an operational os

I dunno about that Bill Gates. Windows 10 is trash and it won't even recognize my wifi card. I came to this thread looking for a good linux distro. Windows 10 is a step down from Windows 7 in every single way.

Just use ubuntu,
No joke, no meme

What i hate about linux is that i cannot use it for all of my needs. For example, where i work all shit works with windows so i never use the linux partition. In the end i have to install windows all over again. It is not worth the time. I gave up a long time ago.

BECAUSE LINUX IS A PIECE OF SHIT.

I'm sorry, but it's the truth. If you're a sysadmin with 10 years Unix experience it might just work for you.
But if you're a regular user who wants a desktop OS it's a piece of shit and you only use it to be a hipster. End of story.

I could go on and on about every single little bit that annoyed me but here are the basics:

>have to use the terminal all the time
>if there are problems you have to fix it by editing copious amount of intricate configuration files in /etc
>all distros suck and are not nearly as good looking or responsive as Windows
>installing software is too complicated
>not enough actually usable software in the first place (GIMP is worst software I ever used)

POO

I don't hate Linux, just its userbase

It's the same people who hate on toilets, hate always emanates from the lesser individuals, a clear sign of impotence and weakness.

This is not true in the $currentyear
>be me, use debian and gentoo
>after about a half year being with me, girlfriend asks if I can help her get Linux on her laptop
>surewhynot.png
>install mint
>everything works out of get box
>preinstalled themes are nice
>wallpapers good, too

Experience with it so far:
>have to use the terminal all the time
No, she removed it from the menu and never touched it since
>have to edit config files in /etc
No, gui applications have same option dialogs in 2017. Normal users won't use non-gui stuff
>Not responsive
Wrong, especially on laptops. Cinnamon is probably the best environment for people who switched
>installing software is too complicated
Ok, let me try to understand this
>open package manager frontend
>type keyword or application name
>window pops up says software is being installed
>???
>profit
Works for me, I don't know about your autistic needs
>not enough software
It's enough if you're either programming or office work as it seems. She's in university, I work as a C++ programmer

Unlike many other OS, the people that use linux actually like it.

Because people tout is as an alternative daily-driver desktop OS to windows 7 but it's so user-hostile at every turn and open source fags won't stfu about the virtues when all you want is a desktop UI that doesn't take a whole second to react to inputs.

waka waka

You are 100% correct and I agree with every point you made.

Why would you care to try to convert others? Just use it an be happy. I enjoy using it, am happy that I have none of the issues that plague my friends using windows or OSX. But part of that is that I am more computer literate than them. I am happy that Linux has works great for my needs. I don't care what the average windows/Mac user uses, and I am not sure mass conversion is necessarily a good thing.

It does happen outside of Sup Forums quite a lot

>Why do people hate linux so much?
People hate what they don't understand. And they don't understand it because they don't even want to understand it: hating it is easier.

Because you don't use windows, you don't know what software linux don't have.

Also, it looks really bad and inconsistent, and after using more than 10 different distros,I have yet to found a distro with a responsive window manager that actually does the job.

I understand there is zero focus on UX and the end-user is functionally expected to suck shit should they desire a pleasurable and efficient desktop experience.

>or office work
Linux is completely unsuitable for office work. Having fully functioning microsoft office is mandatory in majority of office enviorments.
I don't disagree with you otherwise, I set up both my mom and my granddad laptops with Xubuntu and they have no problems using those. I run updates for them once in a while and otherwise it just werks for their internet browsing needs.

All documents have to be converted to pdf before sending them in, so it's fine for that. She hasn't written something longer than 6 pages yet, I might show her LaTeX if it comes to that. But I agree, libreoffice sucks in a world where Microsoft gets to dictate the standards

I imagine the Linux haters can be categorized into a few groups
>Sup Forumsermin
Hate Linux because CLIs are scary and muh gaymes, you're not allowed to talk about it here because they don't have enough gaymen boards and Sup Forums must become another
>shills
Obvious
>Linux users trolling
Also obvious

I don't hate Linux in abstract. It's probably a good thing if more people use it.
It's just that I personally hate using Linux distros, when I could be using BSD.
The dirty secret is that much of Linux's design choices over the past decade have been driven by corporate interests. systemd has Red Hat's hands all over it. What's good for corporations is not necessarily what's good for individual Unix hackers. That's why I prefer BSD now, after years of using Linux. They're looking out for *me*

Why do people hate Windows so much? I legitimately don't understand the hate. Just don't use it if you don't like it? Nobody is forcing you to use Windows.

Some reasons why I prefer it over others:
>just werks
>updates are painless
>21st-century filesystems
>support for massive number of devices out of the box
>great appstore, can install and update all my software from one place

I'll bite the bullet
>6 months ago
>Wanted to try out linux without a VM
>Fedora 25 because it worked fine in a VM, more than once
>install it just fine
>dnf update etcetc, restart
>sudo dnf install screenfetch
>$screenfetch
>the terminal shitted out like 10 Xorg errors (??), other than that it worked
>"oh the mouse acceleration is really triggering me, i want to disable it"
>there is no GUI to disable it
>"MUH CLI IS MORE VERSATILE MEME"
>try to disable it with the terminal
>20 fucking Xorg errors, and did nothing
>>>>>>fixing Xorg
No, just fuck you. If i cant make such a simple action as "disabling mouse acceleration" in the OS, straight out of the box or after i updated it, then i dont want to deal with anything else it can happen. I don't care about linux for my PC
just my 2 cents

>Just works(citation needed)
>updates are painless(citation needed)
>great package manager
Yeah no. Every respectable human being and their mother avoids the windows default repository.

I think the first group is the biggest and equally dumbest of them all

this desu, i tried using loonix two days ago and fixing all the shit got me quite annoyed. I reinstalled win10, i don't give a fuck about the botnet

>Nobody is forcing you
Yeah sure thing kiddo.

KDE has a gooey for mouse acceleration mate.

>>just werks
Kek

>install autistic distro
>complaints about autistic distro

your fault

I think you forgot the group of people that used Linux extensively and grew tired of it and the shitty graphics stack, the shitty audio stack, the shitty init manager, the shitty wifi drivers, the shitty DEs, and the shitty community.

Please explain how are any of those shitty.

>Why do people hate linux so much?
Obvious winfag shill pretending to be a Linux user. Have you not seen this board? The people here are rabidly obsessed with Linux.

>winfag too tech illiterate to know how to post on Sup Forums
Not surprised.

Because just last week they pushed out an update that broke the entire Linux system rendering it not even able to be booted into again. Unless you had a liveusb and took the time to research and fix their fuckup you could literally not even use your computer.

>they
Who is this mysterious "they"? What did "they" break? Why are all my machines still working without issues? Is it the Jews fault?

(You)

Thanks, ill grab a fedora spin or another distro whenever ill need to have linux

>This doesn't happen outside of Sup Forums
You should visit other board too. G isn't the modt autistic one.

You are 100% incorrect and I disagree with every point you tried to make.

github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6381
They (open source developers) still haven't fixed it too. This happened to everyone using fde who updated packages recently.