/flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread

Previously on:

Welcome to /flt/ - Friendly Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this purpose for safety reasons.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with Linux.

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, duckduckgo, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
Trying to run Linux on an old computer?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Linux_distribution

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
explainshell.com/

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SiS#SiS_671_card
ossblog.org/5-highly-promising-terminal-emulators/
github.com/jwilm/alacritty
github.com/kovidgoyal/kitty
wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/start
heads.dyne.org/
tails.boum.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=5beLc2yFwRc
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Radeon-RX-Vega-Linux-Driver
askubuntu.com/questions/139966/how-can-i-add-an-entry-for-ubuntu-to-the-windows-7-boot-menu
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for install Source Mage

I made this.
:^)

what computer is that?

Very nice user.

Thanks. Hope it brightens you're day in some small way.

10/10

It wants me to add swap, what do?
Im just trying to do an install with home on another drive.

After distro hopping for about 6 months I have concluded that Ubuntu is literally the best thing out there. It just works, is easily managed, community is large and troubleshooting is simple as fuck. Just don't use Unity.

One of the main reasons I haven't completely switched to linux (I run ubuntu on a w7 host machine) is that gaming on linux is still not great. Last time I looked, Wine wasn't that great. There were some wrapper programs specifically for gaming, but I didn't get much benefit out of those either. Someone in a different thread mentioned that I could just set up windows in a virtual machine and play on that, which sounds ridiculous, but I'm not really sure as I haven't been keeping up with technology in that area. Is gaming through a virtual machine really the solution here?

First for:
Busybox
llvm
musl c
clang

Choose the drive you want your swap on and make it half of your RAM, e.g. with 8GB RAM, make your swap 4GB. Swap will be listed in the types you can choose from.

Or just stop gaming, you'll get much more productive.

It is just giving you a heads up that you haven't assigned a swap partition. You should be able to proceed without one.

If you have more then 8GB of ram then you dont need swap

Not him, but I have 6GB of RAM and my swap is never used. Is this normal?

>just stop gaming

that's sort of linux solution mindset that has made the OS niche. I spend 60-80 hours a week coding, I'm not going to stop gaming in my freetime because my OS doesn't support it lol

Depends on your usage.
I can max out 16gb with 14gb of it being cached almost as soon as i startx.

>60-80
I meant to say 40-60. I have free time to actually spend

Use GPU passthrough

You need two gpus (the Intel one counts) and a compatible cpu

Nice troll thread.

You can proceed without a swap partition and create a swap file in an existing ext4 partition later if you will.

Thats really interesting, I wasn't aware that was a possibility. Maybe I'll try dualbooting and see if I can get it working correctly first

dual booting win7 with an ubuntu vm and ubuntu with a win7 vm. has science gone too far?

Fuck, I need help /flt/. Every search engine I use on Linux, the captchas, YouTube, etc.. Are all not accessible on my X200, when before they have worked. This is happening on ALL distros, I've tried Arch, Debian, Gentoo, but it only works on Ubuntu and windows. How am I supposed to use my laptop if I can't even search for a solution? Help please.

Any modern distro with SiS 771/671 support?

I've got an old as hell laptop with a pentium dual-core and that graphics chipset, I've tested some live isos but the only one that kind of worked was xubuntu 14.02, I've installed that one and upgraded to 16.04 but the laptop what it's pants whenever it played any video.
I'm testing devuan ceres with i3wm and it works better, but videos are still a little laggy. I'm okay with it since the idea was using it as an emergency laptop, but I was wondering if it could do a bit better, ar least to watch my animus without frameskipping.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

thenks mr stelmen

does anyone here know what i'm supposed to do here? getting a bunch of these;
!!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been pulled
!!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:

sys-libs/readline:0

(sys-libs/readline-7.0_p3:0/7::gentoo, ebuild scheduled for merge) pulled in by
sys-libs/readline (Argument)

(sys-libs/readline-7.0_p3:0/7::gentoo, installed) pulled in by
sys-libs/readline:0/7=[abi_x86_32(-),abi_x86_64(-)] required by (sys-libs/gdbm-1.13:0/0::gentoo, installed)

sys-libs/readline:0=[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_ppc_32(-)?,abi_ppc_64(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?] required by (sys-libs/gdbm-1.13:0/0::gentoo, installed)

have you tried this?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SiS#SiS_671_card

hmm, just unmerging/emerging it worked, though i'd still like to know what the error actually is

>have you tried this?
>wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/SiS#SiS_671_card

Tweaking xorg.conf made it a bit better. I might try arch or that arch systemd-less spinoff to install the drivers from the aur.

Thanks.

there might be other non-driver-related things to get video running better
like for example using old "xv" output instead of opengl output in your video player

oh, also try without a compositor, if you are using one currently

brb pewdiepie i have to do my chores

Sony VAIO PCG-C1VM

Learn how to do a fucking reverse image search you fucking moron.

I have three computers

>local computer (L1)
>remote computer 1 (R1)
>remote computer 2 (R2)

R1 and R2 are on the same network but L1 is on another network.

If I mount R1 and R2 on L1 using sshfs, will copying a file from one to the other happen across their local network or will the file be transfered via L1 (including all the latency of going through the internet)?

Should I just mount R2 on R1 and then mount R1 on L1?

i second this

>will the file be transfered via L1
Yup.

that's a similar model, but not the one linus is holding, read the whole sentence

>/flt/
Nice to see someone who remember the original denomination of these threads.

Do anyone knows how to use the Line instant messaging on a Linux machine? Wine can't run the .exe more than 20s without crashing.
Also it didn't support moonrunes and was displaying either squares or in a very shitty fallback font.

Well, that's hardly a friendly reply.

Close enough

>runs inside google chrome
yw

I was searching for the libsixel project and saw a couple of (new-ish) opengl backed terminal emulator projects that I wasn't aware of. One of them claims to be the fastest. I don't know what metrics they are using but I thought I would put some terminals to the test. By printing 1 gibabyte of text. Ran the test twice for each of them. All of them pegged a CPU core at 100% ... except terminator. Didn't test konsole because it wanted to install systemd and polkit.
Also got some other ones to try from ossblog.org/5-highly-promising-terminal-emulators/

$ dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1024 count=$((1024*1024)) | base64 | pv > 1gb.txt
$ time cat 1gb.txt
alacritty (focuses on speed, rust, opengl) github.com/jwilm/alacritty
real 0m22.092s

urxvt
real 0m29.488s

terminology (f-fancy!)
real 0m36.813s

kitty (python, opengl) github.com/kovidgoyal/kitty
real 1m16.999s

xterm
real 2m13.234s

terminator (python)
real 4m37.903s

tilix
real 4m38.183s

gnome-terminal
real 4m40.348s

extraterm (electron, that shell integration and cursor mode looks useful, it has a fucking web inspector >.

deepin-terminal please?

I like the concept of linux and i want to install it but i have several concerns.
Can i
>Produce music
>Light 3d modeling
>Photo/video editing
>Play modern games and some old games
On linux?
If yes any good windows like distro suggestions?

I want to have a USB with persistent storage and I am planning to buy a Samsung USB with 32gb. I would like to install Ubuntu can anyone tell me if this will work or not and what program I will need to use.

you can install ubuntu normally onto it, as if it was an internal hdd/ssd, just pick the flash drive during installation

>Produce music
Yup, here are some DAWs wiki.linuxaudio.org/apps/start
>Light 3d modeling
Um, I think blender can do that. IIRC solidworks has a release for linux too.
>Photo/video editing
Dunno about photos (probably) but shotcut is for video editing
>Play modern games
If they have a release for linux (most AAAs don't)
>and some old games
Most work in wine (check appdb for compatibility ratings and tips).
>If yes any good windows like distro suggestions?
Er, Ubuntu is generally the most newb friendly.

>Produce music
No, the only remotely working DAW is proprietary and paid, maybe you can pirate it tho. Forget about MIDI or VSTs otherwise

Also you can play most of the popular games on Linux (CSGO, hearthstone, rocket league, tf2, dota2, overwatch, diablo 3 are the ones I know run)

And just run Manjaro you have nothing to lose and get relatively new drivers which are important for the games.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to programming or any kind of computer science, even finding and installing drivers and putting video game cracks in the right place is quite the chore for me. However I am fully committing privacy when it comes to my digital life. Is there any way i can get linux to work for me with minimal effort and skill? I'm willing to put a small bit of time into making the OS work for me but i really just want it to werk.

How can i go about doing this? What distro?

(pls no bully, just a community college brainlet who wants out of the bot net )

>privacy
Get heads...
heads.dyne.org/

I thinking about installing linux for the first time and on this pc
I am leaning toward ubuntu, but what do you guy recommend between that and mint?

>privacy
Get tails...
tails.boum.org/

is that sam hyde?

fedora

You want Arch Linux.

youtube.com/watch?v=5beLc2yFwRc

I looked up and there's blender for fedora, neat.
Guess I am gonna try this. I dont know much about linux to be picky anway

VIA chipset user here, finally was able to test it, it's in a horrible state.

Does using gnu/Linux improves the lifespan of hardware like CPU or HDD?

How did you test it? I have a VIA chipset too and I'm curious. To put in perspective how bad it is:
>youtube is super slow
>tinker with chrome://flags options
>see minor improvements
>disable hardware acceleration
>gets blazing fast

i want to encrypt /home , do i need to reinstall the whole system enabling encryption, and then put my shit again on it ?

also will encryption decrease the hdd lifespan or affect performance on normal operation ?
most probably since it will make less use of those because you are not running oem shitty programs or telememetry.

I dunno why but linux is much quiter when it comes to HDD's that's what sells it to me.
>be on windows
>HDD: *skrrrrt skrrrt click click click skrrrkrkrrrrrkrt skrrrrt*
>be on linux
>*silence* (or as much as single click when opening a large file)

Your hardware doesn't give a fuck about what software runs on it.
Wear-down depends mostly on how you use your system.

That depends. Are your / and /home on different partitions?
If yes then the procedure goes something like this
># dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/ bs=512K (WARNING: will erase all data on that partition and take a long time)
># cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/
># cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/ crypto_home
># mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/crypto_home
>Add this line to /etc/crypttab:
>crypto_home /dev/ none default
>Add this line to /etc/fstab:
>/dev/mapper/crypto_home /home ext4 defaults 0 1

If not then you are better off reinstalling it all over again.

Also you might just want to encrypt your user directory. That's what ecryptfs is for and you'd do something like
># ecryptfs-migrate-home -u
Which will encrypt your entire home folder and also move your files inside the encrypted space.
But the problem is that your files would still be visible in unallocated space (recoverable by photorec) and they'll also be in the file system cache which is why you should start over anyway.

VN896 with OpenChrome driver on Debian.
To put in perspective:
>using vesa driver
>framebuffer/tty and shutting down is broken
>install latest driver from stretch repos
>blackscreen on boot
>install latest driver from experimental repos
>framebuffer/tty and shut down still is broken (pic related)
>CPU usage spikes randomly
>edits xorg.conf following Arch Wiki
>works better, framebuffer/tty is broken, still can't shutdown.
>edits grub to stop using graphical terminal
>still breaks tty/framebuffer and shut down

I just gave up and I'm going to throw Windows 7 on it again, it's a shame since it's a comfy laptop which would benefit from running Linux, but nobody gives a shit about VIA and OpenChrome, it can't even do 3D acceleration properly with Mesa. If this thing had a GMA945 or whatever, it would have better a lot better.

Just dualbooted Debian 9 & Windows 10 LTSB, not getting a bootloader on startup. (It autos to Windows) All the Linux stuff is on the same partition, and I know I installed GRUB. How do I manually go to GRUB? I've tried C, Shift, Space, Esc, but none of them worked. Thanks!

I couldn't unplug my PC during a hail and thunder "killed" my ethernet port (everything else works surprisingly). Now arch does this for every startup:
A start job is running for sys-subsystem-net-devices-enp0s10.device (xxs / 1min30s)
The port lights up in orange sometimes tho. Still I'd like to somehow disable it, I have a pci nic as replacement. Is this possible?

remove systemd

If only systemd was an mere option.

i love you.

>I've tried C, Shift, Space, Esc, but none of them worked
What, you mean holding them while booting or something? No, that isn't a thing.
> All the Linux stuff is on the same partition
The same partition as what?

If windows and debian are on different HDDs you need to tell your bios to boot from the one with grub on (or install grub on both). If they are on the same drive then you haven't installed grub or grub was overwriten by the windows bootloader. Either edit the windows bootloader to add the debian install as an option or boot to a linux live disk to install grub on the HDD.

I think your options are:
* mask that sysd job with one that does nothing
* blacklist whatever module works with that hardware (if it is a different one than you working nic)
* make a udev rule to stop the nic from getting enumerated in userspace (?)

Thats nice mate

>What, you mean holding them while booting or something? No, that isn't a thing.
That's what was suggested when I googled.
>The same partition as what?
the home, tmp, and the other one that I cannot remember the name of all are on the same partition.

Windows and Debian are on the same HDD, and I know I installed GRUB. Can you tell me how to add the Debian Install to the Windows Bootloader? Thank you.

What a faggot :D

I am using the tiling features in floating window managers extensively (the grid plugin in compiz, the tiling features in Xfce or the quicktile script). I do not want to swap to a tiling window manager as it is impractical for some of the work I do.

Is there a way to get grid/tile like arrangements automatically when opening windows within a floating window manager (plus maybe a few key mappings) to shuffle the layout?

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Radeon-RX-Vega-Linux-Driver

Use EasyBCD askubuntu.com/questions/139966/how-can-i-add-an-entry-for-ubuntu-to-the-windows-7-boot-menu

> That's what was suggested when I googled
I think that is for bringing the grub menu up when the menu timeout is set to 0 seconds, which isn't the default.

Thank you!

What's the name of that program on Ubuntu where you can change update settings, which repositories to use, etc?

Can someone on Ubuntu run it and tell me its name from the "ps" output?

Manjaro > Jewbuntu

Fedora > Mangina

try uninstalling any software it comes with and reboot

send my regards from the terminal

Gentoo > memehat

I've never tried fedora before.
My background in chronological order: Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Arch ( I've fallen in love but as a student I cannot be bothered to deal with it), Manjaro (because I want to use the AUR, and I've never had problems with it)

I want to dual boot manjaro with a security oriented distro like subgraph or qubes any advice which one should I go for?

hardened gentoo

:V

Will Source Mage be the new Gentoo on Sup Forums?

Dose it do sandboxing out of the box?

it should.

do I need lightdm to boot into a desktop environment?

No. You can use startx.

>make less use of those
because of the whole OS or you need something else?
That's why I mostly asked, I was suspecting it could be because of the file system.
>Your hardware doesn't give a fuck about what software runs on it
You sure?

Summary of my openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE installation:

-Composition be slow, so I need to do:

export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=0

-I have to make sure that I don't somehow reinstall firefox -after- installing chromium, otherwise chromium asks if you want to set it as default every single time you open it

-Font rendering is terrible, so you have to use the gldickens3 repository

-Mouse acceleration is enabled by default, so you have to create a config file with a flat acceleration profile

-My keyboard layout resets after installation and defaults to US English, I have to switch it back again

And now I can't make chromium open magnet links with transmission-qt.

Ah, so many fucking hurdles.

>yesterday: friendly gnu/linux thread
>today: friendly linux thread
i'm confused, what even is the difference between linux and gnu/linux? someone enlighten me

Honestly it's kinda like the "Chinese Shit General" and "Chink Shit General", you know, turbo offendered subhumans

Nothing technical.

One is just somewhat forcibly crediting the GNU project.