/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice:
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread -

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/s/url=node=11973691
youtube.com/watch?v=iNxK-NwSR5U
aliexpress.com/item/POYATU-Wood-Headphone-HiFi-Minitor-Bass-Headphones-With-Stainless-Headband-On-Ear-Head-Phones-Music-Wooden/32811989313.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What's a good in-ear with warm, clear mids, for about £100? I listen to a lot of Joni/ Nick Drake.

Sorry, re-posting from last thread.

I was looking at the 1MORE Triple Drivers, but I'm not sure.

What is the second best headphone behind the HD600?

Best budget headphones coming through.

Kz zs5 quad driver. Much better IEM than 1mores.

WHAT'S THE SECOND BEST HEADPHONE BEHIND THE AKG K872

Literally the best

Welcome home

I heard these had recessed mids. That's almost exactly what I'm trying to avoid, unfortunately. It's why I returned my Momentums (although I don't know what I was expecting really from a 'bass-heavy' set).

Etymotic hf5 then

So i remember these threads were also combined with mic generals as well so I am going to ask my question here. What are the best cheap mics?

MK5 >>>>>>>>>>>>> HF5

>ear dildos with ear raping treble

Are the HD 559's worth 125€?

If you can, just grab 558s; they're better. The 559s are more of an upgrade to the 518s. I don't know why they didn't just include 519s into the new lineup.

The whole point of Etymotics is that they don't have ear-raping treble because their treble is peak-free.

I'd recommend a V-Moda BoomPro + headphones with a detachable cable that'll take a BoomPro, like SHP9500S. I do not recommend desk mics for gaming because your voice will sound distant and it'll pick up your typing through desk vibrations.

Wow thats actually a good suggestion. Thanks

Best mid-tier headphone coming through.

>GUISE IM GONNA SPEND $700 ON A SHITTIER VERSION OF THE MEME600s which are already shit.

Fucking kek.

i just ordered the shp9500 and the vmoda boompro, and i was thinking of getting an amp also, can i connect the headphone and microphone to the amp using the single jack?

>more comfortable
>look way cooler
>better build quality
How are they worse?

The HD800 is too heavy and their clamping force is too light.

You don't need a DAC/amp unless your current source is not loud enough or audibly noisy/hissy.

I had no issues running mine off of my motherboard 3.5mm jack, but that amp isn't bad for the money either.

>How are they worse?
They sound like shit.

its actually pretty noisy with my speakers
but can i use the microphone with it?

What do tube amps sound like?
Apparently they smooth the highs but what does that mean? Is it the same as what I can do with an EQ or is does it have something to do with distortion?

>Treble blaster Jr. Editions

Who cares? You don't actually listen to music on your high end headphones, do you?

Buying the HD700 is the patricians choice, it says you have the money to buy the HD800, but chose not to do so because it's a vulgar display of disposable income.

>What do tube amps sound like?
Not all tube amps sound the same.
>Apparently they smooth the highs but what does that mean?
Some have rolled off treble, and yes, you can accomplish that with a simple high shelf filter.
Some tube amps have audible second order harmonic distortion which some find euphonic.

>but can i use the microphone with it?
If the mic has its own jack you can plug that into the onboard otherwise a $2 splitter would work.

This is next-level shitposting. This is beyond Plebspotters-level shitposting. Bravo.

>its actually pretty noisy with my speakers
It may not be noisy with your new headphones, though. Do not buy a DAC/amp until you test it with your new headphones.

>plug HD800 into onboard
>sounds great, gets way louder than I need it to get with no hiss
>plug HD650 into onboard
>sounds ok, needs 100 windows volume on many quietly mixed tracks, a lot of hiss
???

They roll them off. Very few tubes reach filament saturation levels to produce high frequencies at the same level as mids or bass. Roll-off for most vacuum tubes occurs around 10khz. Some very expensive tubes, usually directly heated triodes (300b,845s) don't do this. But not only are they extremely expensive, they also use killer levels of voltage and are extremely inefficient (lots of energy in, very little output). There are some exceptions but they typically aren't used in headphone amps in the first place.

The other things to consider with tube amps are second order harmonic distortion and mid-bass sag. Second order harmonic distortion is perceived as pleasing to the ear in most people. Tube amps also cause lag in the lower frequencies (they actually take a few milliseconds to reach the transducers). These two factors in tube amps encompass the "warmth" of tube amps.

Headphone impedence my friend.

Are leather head cushions a bad idea? Thinking about replacing my 880 stock one since it's pretty old.

You should replace your shitty sounding headphones instead.

the vmoda boompro actually comes with headphone and mic jack and then a splitter
ok thanks user ill try it first

If your onboard sound ends up being noisy with your new headphones you'll need an extension cord to run the splitter to your new DAC/amp. Connecting the headphones to the DAC/amp and the mic to your onboard may create a ground loop, leading to 60 Hz buzz. If this occurs, place a ground loop isolator between the mic part of the splitter and your onboard sound (not in the audio chain as it can ruin sound quality).

I didn't ask for your opinion on my headphones, meanie face.

>opinion
You mean objective fact.

>Sennheiser shills are this desperate
Would it blow your mind if I told you headphones and their sound signature are subjective?
>Replying to an obvious shill/shitposter

So, anyone know why those even exist?

Who are you talking to?

make 100% sure it isn't protein leather/pleather, that shit degrades and falls apart too quickly. alcantara is OK. washable materials would be best

This.

so seneheiser can take money off people who can only afford whatever the 700s cost

that would be pretty shit, aren there any amp/dac with microphone input?

At least they don't snap

Some people (like Beyerdynamic fans) confuse overbearing treble for detail; HD700 may appeal to them.

Who knows? At least it has treble, even maybe a bit of bass!

amazon.com/s/url=node=11973691

all headphones snap under sufficient pressure

mmm beyerdynamic only mentions that it's 'real learher' but not what kind exactly. I'll send them a mail and, thanks

Some just snap a bit more than others ;)

hey, i need some advise
>Budget
30 USD, "maybe" 50
>Location
Chile (1 USD = 1000 CLP in market, btw)
>Source
J7 Prime phone and ASUS X555 laptop
>Type of headphone
Full Size
>Open or closed
Closed, it will be used a lot in the city
>Comfort level
I recently started using glasses, so it's an important point
>Sound signature
pretty much a newfag about it, btw i usually hear to "rock" and "electronica" (abridged), but a lot of other genres (also, some vydia), if it helps
>Past headphones
Sony MDR-XB450, cable got fucked up at the fork

Bonus points for detachable cable
Chink ones are also an option

Q U A L I T Y C H I N K P L A S T I C
N O H I G H S
N O B A S S
B E S T
H E A D P H O N E S

i forgot, included mic is a must, for answering calls

Following the instructions in youtube.com/watch?v=iNxK-NwSR5U will prevent HD600 family from ever snapping. There is no equivalent fix for the DT770/880/990 design flaw.

Well, they don't call them Snapheisers for nothing, eh, user?

>this short-term stress test totally means that a long-term stress fracture problem doesn't exist

Good thing the company doesn't Jew you out $100 every time the headphones snap.
>Sennheiser owners need to follow instructions to prevent their headphone from snapping
Oh my!

HD600 will not snap if you do the thing in that video, but DT770/880/990 will snap no matter what. Your position in this debate is untenable.

>Poor AF
>Always wanted to try Grados
>Could never afford Grados thanks to taxes and the fact it only sells from the US.
>see this:
aliexpress.com/item/POYATU-Wood-Headphone-HiFi-Minitor-Bass-Headphones-With-Stainless-Headband-On-Ear-Head-Phones-Music-Wooden/32811989313.html
>Tottaly affordable
>Might sound like Grados...
>Might not...

Should I take the risk?

>You need to follow instructions to prevent your headphones from snapping
I'd laugh, but this isn't the first time Sennheiser had issues with chink shit plastic

Pic related

Would Alessandro MS-1 be affordable where you live? They're basically a Grado.

>they will only snap if you're too stupid to be able to follow simple directions
I don't see a problem.

>The majority of the userbase
The Snapheiser meme wasn't born out of thin air, user.

thanks user

Thanks for the reply user
Actually, I could try to buy the cheapest grado model
(sr60e) but the taxes from buiyng US products are somehow way higher than chinese ones.
So the Alessandro MS-1 would fit in the same problem...
It's like buying two at once.

But chinese imports might not even be taxed at all. So I ended up aquiring the habit of buying cheap chinese headphones and IEMs such as a Somic v2(that I love), a KZ ATEs (wich is ok), an old moxpad x3(Sounds fantastic but build quality is on par) and a kz zs5 that is arriving in a month(hope its good)

>ZS5
They're good though you might want new tips

>HD800 heavy and tight
Not. True. Try comfy.

Does the M-Audio speakers snap?

>cant read

Could have been a good replacement for HD6xx if not for treble rape due to both higher peak than on HD800 and no gain before it. Sennheiser nailed them in terms of comfort tho, still light and not on your head like HD800 but with an actual clamp, too bad they sound like shit. We need HD750, basically an HD600 but with better bass and overal clean sound of HD800, not grado meets sennheiser meets beyerdynamics.

No, you'll have to use your motherboard

wiuld it be feasable to do a detachable cable mod on these JVC HA-MR77X's, the cable is starting to go, one channel dies out unless you position the cable in a particular way

Yes.

No.

Maybe.

>Budget
$150ish maybe a little more
>Source
Desktop
>Type of headphone
Full size
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Pretty important to me as I will be wearing them quite a bit. I don't mind paying for third party ear pads/cushions if necessary
>Sound signature
I don't know enough to say. It will be mostly for playing games so I would love bassy explosions, nice sharp crack for gunshots, clear footsteps. Would love your opinions.
>Past headphones
"gaming headset" pleb up to this point. Will probably get a modmic 4 to attach for gaming purposes.

Not the MK5, I own all Etymotics besides the ER4B, the MK5 is too bright for my tastes though it is more neutral than the HF5.

Guys, why is the HD700 so fucking bad? I bought a pair and wanted to love them, but they sound worse than the HD650 in terms of sound signature, and don't even come close to the HD800's imaging and clarity. It's annoying because they are in my opinion the most comforable and best looking headphones Snapheiser makes.

Did they deliberately make a shit headphone to make the HD800 look like good value by comparison?

Kill yourself poorfag.

Custom Studio

>Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 Wireless
>Sony h.ear mdr-1000abn Wireless

Which one of these Bluetooth headphones is better? I'm switching to wireless bc my next phone probably won't have a headphone jack. So I'm gonna just embrace the wireless future.

>wireless

I was really underwhelmed by the momentums, so I would give the sonys a chance

What was wrong with them? They've gotten a lot of good reviews

i'd pick the momentum if only for the build alone. Looks more durable, and doesn't fold (bad thing for me) unlike the sony.

not like sound clarity/quality actually differs that much past $200, sound signature can be EQ'd anyways, and so the next important thing is the longevity of the headphones.

Most importantly are the earpads. The momentum look like the standard slip ons, but in comparison, the MDR-1000 looks like it has some weird propriety crap like AKG.

You can also get a BoomPro

>adjustment on my HD800 wont stay in the same fucking place

Ya fucked up.

Why are replacement cables so expensive
If I use a normal cable (no vacuum etc)
Would that significantly degrade the sound quality?

Is there a point to upgrade from Superlux 662s to other closed backs sub 100 €?

Better comfort, detachable cable, not chink shit.