What are the actual differences between Linux distros, besides desktop environments...

What are the actual differences between Linux distros, besides desktop environments? Do they just have different package managers and default packages?

Other urls found in this thread:

complete-concrete-concise.com/blog/understanding-the-differences-between-various-linux-distros
makeuseof.com/tag/whats-the-difference-between-linux-distributions-if-theyre-all-linux-makeuseof-explains/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions
tldp.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/x71.html
tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Dictionary/html/index.html
linux.die.net/Intro-Linux/sect_01_01.html
stackoverflow.com/questions/10286459/multiple-package-manager
askubuntu.com/questions/161503/can-i-install-portage-pacman-or-other-package-managers-on-ubuntu
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Depends. Some have different package managers. Some have different shells, desktop environments, window managers etc. Some have different init systems, like systemd, sys vinit, etc.

They all have one thing in common, which is kernel, although many distros have their own version of t he kernel with distro specific patches.

One thing to note about different distributions is the release cycle. Some distributions like Debian have long cycles where current stable is supported for a couple of years while they keep preparing the next stable release in testing and unstable branches. THen there are rolling releases like Arch and Ubuntu which keep getting the newest packages while they're ready to be distributed. Usually the tradeoff between different cycles comes down to stability vs software features, but of course that is oversimplification.

complete-concrete-concise.com/blog/understanding-the-differences-between-various-linux-distros
makeuseof.com/tag/whats-the-difference-between-linux-distributions-if-theyre-all-linux-makeuseof-explains/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions
tldp.org/HOWTO/PPP-HOWTO/x71.html
tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Dictionary/html/index.html
linux.die.net/Intro-Linux/sect_01_01.html

The difference between Ubuntu and Debian is that Ubuntu is unstable trash. Debian is not.

> Do they just have different package managers and default packages?
That, and the packages themselves may have different choices underlying.

Like one distro may wants everything installed to run as a docker container automatically and the other wants to run as little as possible using sysinit if anything is regularly launched at all.

okay sir

can't we install an other package manages on a disto. Like install aptitude on geento ? And why not.

You could, but it'd be mess. These explain it quite neatly.

stackoverflow.com/questions/10286459/multiple-package-manager
askubuntu.com/questions/161503/can-i-install-portage-pacman-or-other-package-managers-on-ubuntu

initramfs but no one Sup Forums cares everything else is interchangeable and can be made to work together. But at more casually glance the difference would be defaults.

where can I learn linux?

You don't, cuz it's the equivalent of getting DPd by stallman and tolvadoodle

There are usually programs that handle ayy lmao packages from other distros. For example, Debian has alien to convert and install rpms.

hardknocks.edu

ubuntu is the only distro that hasn't fucked up on me since i became a windows refugee in 2010

Can I theoretically have say, Debian, then without any external tools strip away the Debian components and install Ubuntu ones so that it'd be indistinguishable from Ubuntu

Using the command line and sudo for instance.

gnu/linux* distros

get your nose out of stallman's fat, hairy asshole

This image is retarded it's just a bunch of logos slapped in there of distros some of which aren't and fucking bsd.

the only differences are basically:
installation process
defaults
package manager
community / wiki

Ubuntu is not rolling release though

what's the benefit to use and learn gentoo?

Is it only a meme?

no benefit

yes

The back-end is different, different package managers, different "feel", some of features are way different, some of them aren't noticeable on some distributions. For example, CentOS doesn't have iptables as a default firewall, but Ubuntu has.