Radio autism general

Radio autism general

Other urls found in this thread:

qrz.com/hamtest/
en.kirisun.com/
github.com/F5OEO/rpitx
amazon.com/Authentic-NA-771-15-6-Inch-SMA-Female-BaoFeng/dp/B016SIJX28/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1501519120&sr=8-1&keywords=NA-771&th=1
radiomuseum.org/r/nizhegorod_pr_4p.html?language_id=2
youtu.be/N0p3_ES2dBU?t=498
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bump

How may people here screw with the drive-thrus at fast food places with these?

I don't know how common it is, but it's pretty easy. You just can't do it at all places, since some of them are encrypted. I know Hardees where I live isn't, I can pick them up since they're analog but I haven't tried messing with them.

Additionally, the analog signal is interlaced with a DTCS code. You'll have to decode that -- it's just another $20 thing you can get from China though.

Really frowned upon by the amateur radio community and highly illegal. A lot of police forces are in contact with local HAMs, hence HAMs are basically weaponized autism and will use direction finding to find you if you do it repeatedly.

bump

>mfw americans call portable radios "walkie-talkies"

get it, because you can talkie while walkie

I thought about getting my license, but it sounds like the recreational value is practically zero. The best I might do is play with meshnets. Apart from that I could use them in emergencies but the law allows for that even without a license. Fuck it.

technically it's a handie-talkie

I like this image.

Just meshnet with 802.11. that shit is so congested nobody will care if you're pumping 9000db into the space

They will when their wifi and other services quit working.

Set up a tower on a hill, wire up AX.25 with soundmodem, telnet in with an authentication token, use lynx to surf the net at a blistering 300-9200 baud. You should have a decent range, possibly 100's of miles depending on the hill and tower. Around the world if you have a HF tower and licence, albeit your speed would be capped at 300bps.

bump

Interested in practicing for HAM test?

qrz.com/hamtest/

bump. I know you autists are out there.

I have a strangely fitting thing for this thread. I posted this on diy, hoping I could find out more about it. Didn't really get much. I had this in my house for a long time. I know it's some sort of radio, but nothing more beyond that. Don't really know how to operate it either. Here's a pic so you can see it. Maybe I'll have more luck here.

Some more pics

Oof, that's a tough one. I'm not too familiar with non-US brands. I couldn't even tell you what frequency it broadcasts at. You should post it on a site like eham and see what they say. You might even be able to sell it.

Related.

any handhelds like the UV-5R that will do VHF/UHF/HAM and CB?
that seems like one of those things that you would just need a separate device for

I'm a /k/ommando and a lot of us over there use Bafoengs on our gear. I'd say less than half of us are licensed, I'm not. I don't really use mine too much, just have it in case of emergencies when I go camping/larping out innawoods. I have used it a little in the past out in the middle of nowhere, but I don't really even bother turning it on when I'm at home. I should probably play with it a bit more and see what frequencies I can pick up.

No, it's illegal to sell something in the US that does both VHF/UHF and CB.

There are cheap CB handhelds, but I wouldn't recommend buying one because you'll need a huge antenna for it. The ideal antenna length for CB is very long -- at least a foot and a half for the most compact versions.

The SCAN button and radioreference are your friends. You should buy a programmer to make it less frustrating though. Preferably do it outdoors. If you have a UV-82 the antenna should be okay enough, even indoors (depending on your house thickness and interference.) UV-5R stock antenna is pretty shitty though.

Top tier antenna is the NA-771, but it's long as fuck. Just make sure you don't get a fake.

the stock antenna sucks ass
quite a few times when I meant to switch over to FM I've accidentally hit the panic button
also it's incredibly annoying if someone keys up on the frequency you're on in FM mode and it switches back over

well that's a shame
if I'm getting a CB radio I might as well get the car version

Yeah, we have this infographic for configuring it without having to get a programmer. It really isn't that difficult. Mine is programmed that way. And yeah I know what you mean about the stock antenna the UV-5R sucking a dick. I got a whip antenna that's attached to my chest rig that works like a million times better.

yes america excels at the superficial

Yeah, the panic button is pretty annoying. If you're scanning, best to set them as no tx in your CHIRP programmer.

Never had the issue with it switching over when you key during usage. Might be something you program in CHIRP.

I have a $30 uniden, works pretty well. Get a cheap CB off amazon w/ 4+ stars, an antenna, and a SWR meter. SWR meter is necessary, make sure it's for CB.

Any other questions I'd be glad to answer.

I mostly got a programmer so I could just use a spreadsheet to insert new freqs and mess with other settings. Plus you can assign them up to 7 letters as a name -- not too sure you can do that manually.

Any other questions I'd be glad to answer.

If anyone's interested in scanning, so far I can pick up EMS/fire, Delta airlines operations, school operations (college and public), Hardees, road maintenence, and general radio chatter on public bands. I want to get a faster scanner, that's just using the UV-5R.

bump

bump

looking at getting a uniden pro510xl and tram 703-HC antenna, any thoughts?
mostly want the 510 instead of 505 since I like the display on it more and I don't need PA

I have the 510, it works pretty good. I would spend a bit more on the antenna, but if you're just fooling around and you don't plan on going 80 on the highway you should be fine (esp. if your body is all metal.)

bump

It's Romanian and from the comunist era, that much I can tell you. Here's the inside just cuz of the neat factor

I can get any of these radios
en.kirisun.com/

Tell me which ones are good anons

Anyone here /sdr/ or the enbin hackerf?

is the speaker internal?

I bought an rtl-sdr, what's a cool thing I can do with it? (I couldn't find my police, maybe they encrypt it)

what is even the fun on these

mostly listen to FM
I can't seem to receive anything else properly, mostly due to the antenna I have

>en.kirisun.com/
Depends on what you want to do. I would get the most expensive trunking radio with scanning, so you can listen to digital (which a lot of police have gone to. May be encrypted though, 50/50 shot.)

Yes. It's pretty loud if you want it to be.

You'd be surprised, some police don't encrypt. Mine only encrypt for tactical -- dispatch isn't encrypted.

Read the thread.

what would be a good antenna for the UV-5R?
mostly going to use it in my car so a magnet mount would be preferable

I'm studying for my HAM test in my free time.

I have an RTL SDR and I'm thinking about hooking it up to a Raspberry Pi and using this software to make a super cheap Rx/Tx capable board.

github.com/F5OEO/rpitx

I'll probably get another RTL SDR so that I can sniff trunked radio systems. That's what my local emergency services use.

amazon.com/Authentic-NA-771-15-6-Inch-SMA-Female-BaoFeng/dp/B016SIJX28/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1501519120&sr=8-1&keywords=NA-771&th=1

I get very good signal reports with this. Can hit repeaters 25-50 miles away no problem.

Never really managed to sniff P25 comms with my RTL-SDR unfortunately. May be because I'm using it indoors.

anyone here use GNUradio?
is there any alternatives?

looking for a handheld within

bump

bump

bumperino

I was able to see the bands they had reserved on the waterfall display and could manually catch a few bursts, but I never actually tuned into the digital control freq because I didn't have two radios.

relax dude, you don't need to bump this thread every 5 minutes.

So, trunking radio is weird. Basically, there is a master control channel and several sub channels. The master control channel tells the handsets to flip between several different channels. I don't know how often it switches freqeuncies but I would imagine it's quite often. So I'm guessing you'll have to find the master control channel and tune to that with a decoder plugin.

I'm pretty bored.

are pofungs rebranded baofengs?

do they work with chirp?

also anyone got /diy/ antennas to show off or modded rigs?

Yes and yes.

It's whenever any of the handsets are transmitting. Instead of setting a freq on your stations, you register to one of the control groups and whenever someone transmits, if you are registered to the same control group, it'll set the other Rx to that freq. It allows emergency services to use bandwidth more efficiently, but each handset needs to have two transceivers, one tuned to the control and the other to tune to the burst transmissions.

thanks!

Radio illiterate here.

How would one go about to listen to the air band 108-137MHz on my computer?

liveatc.net and flightradar24.com

rtlsdr

>rtlsdr
Perfect. Thank you user

I'll look at it when I get home, but you change bands with the 1-2-3-4 knob, which corresponds to the big receiver dial, where the frequencies are. Prolly some old .mil radio.

Is it just me or does digital sound like shit? No fuzzy analog signals sure, but digital just sounds like extremely low bitrate

what about UV-5R+?

e un radioreceptor de tank anii\'40, model RRSU, 5 game de receptie, demultiplicare scala, receptie telefonie si telegrafie la casti

So HAMs are basically SJWs

I personally don't have one, I just have the standard one so this applies to me. Maybe get a programmer like the other user recommended.

Acum că mi-ai dat ceva cu care sa pot incepe, am găsit modelul, cred. Us-1 din 1945. Bănuiesc că modulul din stânga este psu. Și tot acolo se conectează și antena. Daca supraviețuiește threadul până mâine seară o să mai pun poze. Poate mă ajuți să-i dau de cap

Can someone tell me what a typical home radio setup looks like? I know the basic concept is just “get an antenna and plug it into a radio”, but there has to be more to it than that, right? Are there any specific brands that are recommended? Is there any beginners guide available? I used to use that online SDR radio thing a lot, and I’ve been wanting to get a real setup ever since. I don’t mind installing fuck off huge antennas on the side of my house, if that’s what it takes.

asta cred ca este modelul original, mai detaliat:
radiomuseum.org/r/nizhegorod_pr_4p.html?language_id=2

>Bănuiesc că modulul din stânga este psu.
da, asa am inteles si eu

>Și tot acolo se conectează și antena.
asta nu stiu sigur. E posibil, judecand dupa imaginea alaturata

Eu l-am gasit pe google imagini cautand "radioreceptor vechi". Am mai aflat ca a fost produs de Electromagnetica, dupa cel rusesc - asta daca te ajuta cu ceva.

>Daca supraviețuiește threadul până mâine seară o să mai pun poze. Poate mă ajuți să-i dau de cap
cu siguranta

Whew, that's a complicated question. Bare minimum you can throw a wire in a tree and talk around the world on 5 watts. What frequencies are we talking about here?

whats the best SDR product I can buy? best software too?

FLEX some people would say

what about that one that can mimic a cell phone tower?

That's a stingray, and you can't buy one

no pretty sure there is one called lime or something that can create a fake GSM network

Fuck yeah /hamgen/

FOSS sdr looks really neat actually. I'd have to spend more money on a transceiving unit but it would be worth it to DX anomalies and the like.

same directions, plus you get the ability to receive and transmit on 1.25m instead of just dual band

>recreational value is practically zero

only if you're an introvert. trying to find some propagation during a solar flare on 6m is pretty fun, considering its VHF. If you're the /k/ type you can set up an APRS system and determine the location of your squadmates around your kompound. You can talk to the ISS, participate in contests, DX anomalous radio sources, and just plain talk to people.

youtu.be/N0p3_ES2dBU?t=498

Who /vx-8DR/ here?

Just got my technician license on Saturday, all I've got for hardware so far are a Baofeng UV-5R with a Nagoya NA-771, BF-888S, and an RTL-SDR receiver.

No, it's just a hobby to fuck with douches.

check out your area on Radio Reference and see what you can find.

>cannot HAM because convicted felon
I hate my life so much

Really? Didn't know that was a law

Congrats. I can't wait to take my test, I'm sure you can't wait for your license to come

I have a few scanners and have tried several different antennas with no luck.
Even made huge loop antennas for different frequencies, but couldnt pick up jack shit.
cb and ham are dead silent.
The only thing I can pick up is police chatter on uhf, and some religious station on sw.

Thanks. And yeah, it sucks knowing I passed and still not being able to do anything, especially after waiting so long for there to be a test in my area

What brands? Have you tried them both indoors and outdoors? What antennas, and at what frequencies? How remote are you? Have you tried going to a higher elevation? There are so many factors it could be.

CB radio you can usually only pick up on highways. I usually don't hear any chatter on my CB unless there's a wreck or a back up of some kind. They're a pretty cool bunch to talk to though -- but there are some Sup Forums-like aspects.

Oh, and also truckers will usually key ahead and ask if a highway is backed up. I think some highway patrol vehicles have CB too -- something to think about the next time you see a drunk driver.

You have to program the scanner with local frequencies used in your area for 'em to be of any use.

What's the fastest cheap analog scanner? They don't really advertise channels per sec on Amazon for the analog models.

Baofeng UV-82 is pretty fucking slow, UV-5R is about 2x faster (assuming because there's 2 PTT buttons.) Just want something that won't miss terribly much, and maybe dual receive but not required.

I started up a few routers to mess with the mesh. The local club here does some monitoring for public events for emergency's and was showing some of the folks there how it worked. A 10$ router with an embedded IRC server is a perfect throw up network. And with a high gain antenna on them 40 ft in the air you can get 5+ miles out of them.

Congrats on the license, I just started about a month ago. Went to General here and studying for the Extra.

I would also suggest HamStudy.org. I used that one and it got me through the first two steps with ease. Extra however is a bit tricky.

Anyone?

I love radio, I'm a ham. Great hobby but it can get expensive.

No shit. I wish the Chinese would make some cheap digital scanners or hf gear

Anyone have a recommendation or experience with the cheap $70-90 desktop scanners?

Oh boy I can't wait to talk to crotchety old men and the fucking Sun in my KKKompound.

Nah, they're just very protective of their commons.

What, don't stories of other people's hemorrhoids inspire you?

Take the next jump down the drain, user. If they take away everything you have to lose, there is no limit to what you can take from them before getting caught and/or killing yourself

my fucking sides
mfw I once sent an SSTV image of an ayy and the locals went nuts about it.