NETBOOKS

>The audience they tried to reach: Normies who want E-Mail on the go with low weight and small size

>The audience they actually reached: ???

I know a lot of you guys like Netbooks. So what do you use them for? Shitposting and Chinese Cartoons?

Other urls found in this thread:

linuxium.com.au/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Bump. Been thinking about getting something like an HP Mini and installing a lightweight OS. What are some other good netbooks? Looking for something less than 11" for that /true/ netbook experience™

GPD Pocket

I wish I had one. The smallest laptop I have is a 12 inch shitbook made by ANUS that I can't use because it's locked into Windows 10 only. I hate modern computers.

pentesting

I have a Samsung N150P that I'm thinking about putting in an SSD and loading Xubuntu on. Also upgrading RAM from 1gb to 2Gb(max).

I'll probably never really use it, but I dunno, mite b fun.

i still have pic related and gave it to my daughter to train typing. she's five years old, so the size is actually good.

>So what do you use them for?
Nothing

I've got a green Dell Mini 10 and even installing an SSD and Xubuntu it's still slow as FUCK

Got me a Netbook for gayman, pretty happy

Fucking around with Linux distros

Can I use her to train dicking? At that age her size must be pretty good indeed.

Honestly dont bother.

They are slow as shit for everything, you will buy one and regret not just spending some of the cash on a 300 dollar 12-13 inch notebook from 4-5 years ago.

they got btfo by phones, tablets and ultrabooks

They would have been fine if anything web based wasn't a fucking bloated mess.

Gmail bringing one of these things to a crawl says a lot more about the retards writing "web apps" than it does the hardware.

I fell for the netbook meme when they were new, though the one I got was an odd one, the HP mini 311 which has an nvidia "ion" gpu which after upgrading ram to 3gb at the time let me play WoW with fairly decent fps on low settings and obviously not in cpu-intense activities like raids.. lately its been used as a streaming radio device, did some torrenting on it also but those 1.6ghz dual core atoms are awful even for shitposting. The hard drive in my mini died and i dont have an extra hdd or ssd laying around to put in it and its really not useful for anything these days anyway, I have an i5 x220 which is pretty close to the same size but so much better in every way

>web-based
This.
If you are using it for anything non web-based, fine.

Web-based "apps" these days are getting wrapped under ridiculous layers of closures.
Guess one thing that JavaScript REALLY hates?
Closures.
Every layer deeper you go, the considerably higher the overhead.
No cunt, not even Google, care to want to optimize engines or the language spec to fix it because "hurr we have supercomputers now".

Gmail written properly was speedy as fuck. But then nu-google happened and they started enclosing all their code in shit and anonymous functions.
Fucking hell Google Maps is so bad now.

Anyone know a netbook GUI for Linux? You know, one that's OK for 1024x600. Sadly Ubuntu Netbook Edition isn't a thing anymore.

My mom bought some Acer one on sale at costco. I warned her not to, because I knew it would run like shit, even for gmail and stuff like that, and sure enough, she agreed that it ran like shit and ended up returning it.

install gentoo

>Closures.
Those things are shit 99% of the time.
If OOP is a priest marrying marrying functions and values, Closures is a sicko gunman forcing functions and values to rape each other and holding the garbage collector hostage and forcing him to watch and record helplessly.

JewIntel limited new Atoms max ram to 2gb so they can sell core M in 1k notebook

my sides

Got a 12" ThinkPad X220. Almost best 12" laptop. X201 is better though.

Love my netbook.
Mostly use it to RDP and VLC to other PCs, but it does this plenty well, has a long battery life, and is light as fuck, don't even notice it in my backpack

I'll miss them

>So what do you use them for?

Nothing.
They were awful in every possible way except maybe battery life.

>Shit screen
>Even shittier keyboard
>Even shittier performance
>And then somehow the trackpad managed to be shittier than all of the above combined.

Netbooks were a mistake.

FreeDOS for legacy computing. Quite nice.

>Chinese Cartoons

Atom is shit for high bitrate 10bit animu. Even Intel finally realized how shitty that CPU is and scrapped it.

Phones and tablets/hybrids meet demands for low end computing. Laptops are sufficient for most people at a step above tablets. Netbooks would fall in between, and there's really no room for anything in that gap.

When I bought mine I just wanted a cheap laptop to browse the web or play some games when I was on break at school. It served that purpose very well. Then it was my travel laptop, as I couldn't care less if I broke it on a photography trip or something. Turns out it's quite durable. I once dropped my backpack with the netbook inside of it off of a 30meters cliff and I only had to replace the HDD. Finally I set it up as a home server and it's been doing that ever since. The max uptime I had on it was 427 days and I only shut it down because I was moving out.

>Atom is shit for high bitrate 10bit animu.
My N270 can handle 720p Hi10p anime quite well on mpv, although it does drop frames here and there it's still perfectly watchable when nothing else is available.

>locked into windows 10
Take a look at a website called linuxium. Some guy was smart enough to get around installing linux on modern mini pcs including modern netbooks.
linuxium.com.au/

So much this.

Compact enough to fit in small over shoulder bag, light weight, and can skateboard/bike/walk with it scanning for open networks or easy to crack ones. Find something or someplace interesting, plop yourself down and have fun. Anything happens just get the fuck out.

Even more fun once pop case off, attach pigtail to wifi card, and hook up a small antennae can point at something to get some better distance between target.

Easy as fuck in 2008 with backtrack 3 and knoppix.

Now dunno. Ultrabooks can be small, light, and better speed for calculations or dumping data

Looked it up. Is this some shilled meme?

Why aren't you posting from your netbook RIGHT NOW?

I mean I could, but I'm posting from my AMD© Ryzen® 7 1700 equipped desktop instead.

i dont ahve one cos imnot gay

That's cute, what is it?

And Fapping!

I have a small Fujitsu book that I carry with me to work to do C and Scheme code on the go.

Zsnes emulation with lubuntu and two ibuffalo controllers. Mainly for Tetris Vs the gf

I wonder why I fire up my old core duo laptop..
I browse website on it and it lags everywhere..
I can't even browse youtube

I remember that in 2010 I use that laptop to watch 720p youtube and didn't even lag...
but in 2017 it lag like fuck...

why it happen??

Why aren't you posting from your UMPC right now?

>The audience they actually reached: ???

REMOTE SSH TO YOUR WORK SERVER!

I let my GF pee on my old Asus netbook. It was pretty much instantly killed. I guess that what their good for.

vid?

put Lubuntu on my Eee PC
works great

>>The audience they tried to reach: Normies who want E-Mail on the go with low weight and small size
And google got it right with the chromebook LMAO

I've really been wanting a new toy, and the GPD Win is somewhere at the top of my list, but i am concerned it might fall short in terms of power.

Got a lenovo n22 netbook with 4GB of ram and windows 10 for $200.
The CPU (n3050) is truly a piece of shit. But I use it for lectures only so it suits my needs.

font?

cant post it here, would get me banned again.
It took some time for her to get going, I guess the laptop screen still worked for 10 seconds thereafter. Was running some pirated windows 7

Xfce

>>The audience they actually reached: ???
People who liked the idea of a UMPC but wanted a full size keyboard. I have an Asus EEE 900A and it's small enough to fit in a cargo pocket, though I prefer to carry it in a small bag due to it being a bit awkward with that weight halfway down the side of your leg moving around when you walk. Mine actually runs better than 2012/2013 smartphones I've had the chance to compare it to for web browsing and other applications (haven't had the chance to compare it to anything newer) because I don't run bloatware and don't allow every single script that shitty websites want to run. I will say that netbooks mostly lost their purpose vs just getting smaller normal laptop (such as the Thinkpad X2xx series) when they grew to be 10" and larger.

i3 or any other lightweight tiling WM. Due to the small size of the touchpad and the proximity of your hands to the keyboard it makes a ton of sense to use the keyboard to control as much as possible and tiling WMs make sense on small screens where you're only going to have one program visible 99% of the time.

>Now dunno. Ultrabooks can be small, light, and better speed for calculations or dumping data
Ultrabooks are just more "thin is small" garbage and aren't a replacement for netbooks, they're a marketing meme where you pay more and get less. Personally, I don't see why someone would carry an ultrabook when they could carry a normal fucking compact laptop (such as the Thinkpad X2xx series) that would take up the same amount of space, have more ports and expandability, and either cost less, have better specs, or both. The successor to the netbook would be the 10" or less 2 in 1 tablet, though those are pretty much all locked down shit that there's no reason to bother with.

I used mine for programming, ham radio stuff, and browsing. It died recently and I'm looking for a new one, should I just get another IdeaPad S10 or go for something different? I'd prefer it to be WWAN capable but that's not a huge deal if it's not.

I use mine for lots of text-based stuff. SDF is so damn cool.

Image not mine, but it's sweet.

>SDF
mah nigga

I wanted a light, cheap, and with really good battery life notebook and the EEE 1005HA I have did the job during my uni days like a champ. Everything else is done on the desktop like any sane people would do.

Had a Samsung NC10. Best computer I ever owned. I write columns and fiction for a living, so it was perfect for me, especially because the hardware was so weak I couldn't play games and it forced me to do my work. I wish I could get another one but I don't think you can even buy them new on eBay anymore.

Netbooks dying out kind of killed the last legitimate Sup Forums-type interest I had in computers.

Netbooks were the first salvo in a two-part destruction play on UMPC. The second salvo was the tablet/smartphone. Now there are few proper pocket-sized general purpose computing devices which are completely OWNER CONTROLLED (PocketCHIP comes to mind).

>The audience they tried to reach: Normies who want E-Mail on the go with low weight and small size

>The audience they actually reached: Kids that wanted something cheap that they can IM, Myspace/Facebook, and thought they can game on. And stupid moms that thought they needed one.

Atleast in my city they did

I make sure I have at least 1 machine I utterly fucking hate, so I can take it with me and not worry about breaking it. my aspire one fills that niche, and surprisingly it's held up very well.

Get a load of this fag
>shit screen
depends of the netbook. My lenovo netbook had much better screen than some acer i got before. And if you mean resolution screen, almost all of them had 1024×576 (which was the standard back then, remember netbooks appeared between XP and Vista)
>Even shittier keyboard
Depends of the netbook
>Even shittier performance
Depends of the netbook, also those things were for basic stuff. What were you even trying to do on them, watch videos on 4k?
>And then somehow the trackpad managed to be shittier than all of the above combiner
Once again, depends of the netbook. The acer one i had was indeed quite shit, but the lenovo one was comfy

As for the battery life, they weren't that great overall. Most of them couldn't get more than 2 hours of battery. Mine got ~4 hours

Single double and triple satan. Jesus lord.

The internet in 2017 is a disgustingly bloated place. Why make your shit work properly when you can slap it together and ask your users to buy better computers?

I had a netbook (or at least, a really cheap shit small laptop that was advertised like a netbook). An Acer one. Build quality was shit, but 11 inches was ridiculously convenient to carry around. Used it for basic shit, programming, web browsing, really light 3D modeling (we're talking sub-5k polys).
would have gotten a 10in machine, but 1024x600 is fucking worthless garbage and a ton of software expects 720 as the bare minimum height, and the 11in machine had drastically better specs (which helped a ton, since I had a few friends with 10in ones that struggled to fucking play Youtube after a certain point and general performance like opening programs sucked, all problems I never had).
never cared about screen quality and shit, the whole point of the machines were that they were cheap as dirt anyway
battery life sucked really bad, 2 hours, maybe 3

I still have it. It runs Linux extremely poorly, should probably reinstall Win7 onto it at some point.

that thing is sexy as fuck

how are the keyboards on these pcs for ants?

i wish i could find a cheap broken one to throw a raspberry pi into.

>Single double and triple satan
Is Sup Forums now populated by mentally handicapped children?

>It runs Linux extremely poorly, should probably reinstall Win7 onto it at some point.
I don't even.

I got an Acer Aspire One
Shit sucks

Single core intel atom makes browsing a pain in the ass

Considering it's got the whole gamut of issues, such as wifi dropouts, miserable video performance (it's accelerated, but basically half as fast as in Windows), and it actually struggles with Youtube, that sort of thing, I might as well go back, assuming I care enough to dig the machine out
I use whatever works. The machine was drastically more useful under Windows, to the point where I probably could just run some Linux in a VM, which is something I had done before making it single-boot Linux.

I hope you learned the same way I did about never buying Acer again.

I use mine as an anime server, I just sshfs mount it whenever I wanna watch stuff.

Now get her to piss on a Thinkpad.

i have the one where they still had 8.1 on it and put XUBUNTU on it
(no touch screen/detachable tablet bs)
just a baby laptop.

MSI Wind U-100

ProFont

Depends on the website. Disabling smooth scrolling helps a lot.

is it worth fixing up an eee pc 1000h that I got for free?

They are fantastic for SSHing into servers. I carried one to staff meetings to unlock accounts/reset passwords for fucktards.

if it's cheap and low effort then maybe

I loved the idea of netbooks back then. But I hated that Windows was fucking unusable on 1024x600 for me, and I was too retarded to use Linux in any other form than Ubuntu/Mint with a DE. Hell, maybe I can buy myself one for like $25. Also they started to make them bigger and bigger after some time which defeated the purpose, when you could have a real c2d in this form factor and even price.

>Samsung NF310
>1366x768
>2GB RAM
>dual core Atom with HT
Still works for me for casual browsing.

Get a chromebook :^)

Same here. I ended up with one of those 12" EEE PC's, which was not bad with it's 1366x768 screen. Though, eventually I bought a Dell Latutude D430, which honestly was worse than my EEE PC (Dell had an lv c2d) outside of build quality and docks. The thing could barely run Windows 7, but was OK with xubuntu. If I was aware, I would have bought a second hand X200 at the time. My current X220 is worlds apart from my eee pc and Dell.

Because IBM G40

Yeah, I've actually had a D430 myself too. Battery life was kinda shitty, the hinge was very loose after some time, and HDD was slow as fuck, and because of its form factor it was hard to replace it with anything that would make sense. But it was still better than a netbook my girlfriend had, which even though it had an actual 2.5" laptop HDD, it was painful to even boot into Windows 7 on it. I've used Xubuntu and OS X Lion on mine, if it didn't shit itself a couple years ago, and I wasn't in desperate need of money back then, I'd propably still have it as now it's easy to find cheap adapters to IDE ZIF. It would be a great SSH machine, as it is (besides shitty, but manageable hinges) pretty durable. I've dropped mine a couple of times, even on hard surfaces like asphalt and it was ok, in terms of body. HDD of course hated me as much as I hated 'him'.

Not even memeing, the 12" macbook is a netbook done right

I liked them because they were small while still being a real computer. I enjoyed programming on them.

I would agree if it didn't have a glossy display. And if it was cheaper. Netbooks have to be

It is pretty fucking expensive yeah
The display isn't exactly glossy though
It's not reflective but at the same time doesn't have the distortion that matte displays do

id buy it if it had a better camera.

Do people actually video chat?
Like is this a real thing?

Bought one for university. It was okay, but didn't last long on battery and the keyboard was small. I wiped it clean and gave it to a random dude on the street.

they suck at performing the same tasks the ipad came to do.
they are slow as shit.

It was nice for college. All day battery, super light, and fits in my backpack comfortably

I've seen it happen before, like once.

My dorm roommate would video chat his long distance gf daily

Audiovisual shitposting on Omegle is usually fun after a few beers

I've had one (some 12" EEE PC) since 2011 and it was alright I guess
I used to work, shitpost and watch chinese cartoons on it and it even ran some games and emus at a decent framerate

I still use it every now and then, it's light as fuck and it managed to tank younger me's absurd routine and usage

xv output?

cause, you know, there's no opengl mpv running on that shit.

intel gma can't more than opengl 1.2

enjoy your shitty rendered subs and 1337 dropped frames

The audience they actually reached? Students in 2011 who made the mistake of getting one instead of a chromebook for note-taking.

I used an asus eeepc all through college, and the later half of high school. GREAT FUCKING COMPUTER. can't speak highly enough about it. battery life was awesome compared to most other laptops. I ran the 1.6Ghz atom with 2gb ram

I loved the small size and that it could do so much with lower end hardware. those intel atom processors rocked. After I got mine (because I used a friends once) My mom got one of her own and so did my gf at the time. everybody was very pleased with their eeepc's but I'm probably the only bloke who still uses mine.

It stays stashed in the cabinet that houses my network stuff. maybe power it up once every other month to do network stuff. it has an ethernet lan adapter which many newer nicer laptops do not

I ran a lot of music stuff on mine. Notation software and midi stuff in DAW's. I remember playing oblivion on it with the oldblivion mod. watching 1080p video on peoples tv's. And the thing was smaller than most books in my school backpack

My parents actually got a couple: one of the early tiny Asus Eee ones with a minuscule SSD for email and the like while on a trip around the world, and a "standard" Eee with a hard drive later for email, word processing, etc on the go.

I had one of the "standard" Eee models with a hard drive (later replaced with a decent SSD), which I used for web browsing, anime watching, and the various other things I use a computer for on the go. I wound up selling it to my brother who wanted something for taking notes at Uni and replaced it with a MacBook Air, but I did really like that netbook, in spite of its various shortcomings.

When my parents decided they no longer needed or wanted their tiny netbook I wound up with it, and mostly use it as a terminal for SSHing into something else.

Didn't get to use left one much. Pretty good feature wise, but too weak nowadays.

Right one I got cheap, not a lot of features, but better CPU. Waiting for Linux support.

I've only owned one netbook and I used it to play gameboy and fap to hentai.