Serious question

Serious question,

People who exclusivity use Linux, how did you let go of PC gaming for good? Did you just lost interest or use WINE? Something else? I want to use Linux exclusively, but I have always have trouble leaving because "muh games".

Other urls found in this thread:

developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux#Fedora
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I keep a laptop with Linux
and a Windows desktop for games and photoshop

I dont do any work on Windows. (because I use work computers for that)

and I only do my banking and other private stuff on the Linux

>just lost interest
This pretty much. Everything failed to caught my attention for the last three steam sales.

I'm becoming too old for this shit and i'm just 23.

The only games I play are XP-era and they all run great in WINE, so about a month ago I finally wiped my Windows 7 drive because I hadn't booted into it in over a year. The only games I play in WINE are Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2 because they're just too good. The communities are still active as well. Newer games are just shit though. The only recent game I play is Minecraft (Yes, I'm an autistic adult and I enjoy this) and it has native Linux support.

I only play games that work well on Linux.
Simple as that.
It still wastes more than enough time.

Games I played recently, or still play:
XCOM 1
XCOM 2
Civilization V
Civilization VI
Life is Strange
Thimbleweed Park
Stellaris

irc is my rpg
umatrix is my minesweeper
symlinks are my portal
bash scripts are my puzzles
debugging is my fps

free software \emph{is} the game, and it's better and more fun than any of the gay shit you play

i just lost the game

I use Windows my desktop and Linux on my laptop.

I used to play wow since I was 15 started when BC rolled out, then after cata was on the battle.net I switched to pirate servers and played a lot. But then wow got stale, I logged in just to troll in global channels. After wow there was no game to substitute that feeling wow gave me. I played a little bit of diablo 3, titan quest and borderlands, roughly 500 hours each and it was that, when I realized I won't get satisfaction from games no more.
For past two years the only game I launched on my machine was openttd, I build a circle railroad and just waste all my money on that single track lonely train.

I never became fond of gaming. I were interested in how computers worked instead, which made me tinker with every part of the Windows installation on my personal computer, until I heard about Linux.

I dual boot on my laptop and that's the only machine I have with W10 or anything Windows.
Windows is a gaming OS through and through.

I didin't let go
>potato pic related

I play more games after switching to Linux than in the years before on Windows.

I just only play games playable on Linux.

I don't know why , but I foolishly keep a Windows machine full of games (that I never play). I fire up the Windows box for updates every week and never use it. I have Linux on my other desktops and laptop and only play Hacknet and Uplink on them if I feel like playing a game.Games just seem boring these days, I'd rather be learning stuff than wasting time.

VM
Dualboot
GPU Passthrough

i lost interest in gaming long before i switched to linux

>potato pic
Go away reddit

What is there to play that doesn't work on linux?

> any console or handheld game made from last gen
Emulators work on linux
> any pc classic pc games
WINE
> modern pc games
My steam library went from 120 to about 60 on linux and I can't play some like TES or Dark Souls but I have a windows boot just for games if I really hanker for it

Just stop playing games, it's that easy. The "culture" is disgusting, the consumerist tech illiteracy of the average gamer is disgusting, and games are trash in general.

I started playing tetris-bsd

dosbox dungeon crawlers and roguelikes
I like to think I improved myself.

>just lost interest

and

>I just only play games playable on Linux.

If a game doesn't work on Linux I just don't play it. As well as that I am getting so picky after 30+ years of gaming [started on a ZX Spectrum in the mid '80s] that very little new interests me now.

I have been playing Quake 1 a lot on Linux since it is, in my view, the best FPS ever made. As well as that - Neon Drive I enjoy a lot. And I plan to get into Deadbolt and Party Hard in the next two to three weeks. Basically if you want to run Linux as your main OS you have to make a lot of compromises with gaming. You can forget most modern FPSs and spend your time on retro/pixel gaming or those FPSs which the devs have bothered to make work in Linux. Left 4 Dead 2, for instance, works flawlessly [I'm using Debian]. Also, be careful if Steam says a game works on Linux, it may not. You might have to make an educated guess whether it will or not, or download a demo if one is available.

Princess Remedy, as an example of a good retro game, is fucking awesome. Both games. I seriously recommend them. They're a great example of depth, great gameplay, 80s retro and surreal humour.

Basically if you want to move over, the fact that you're on Linux has to be MORE important than playing every game you want. But there are still a tonne of excellent games available on Linux. You just have to do a little more searching.

I'd already lost interest in games.

>they know

this seems like a facebook unironic shitpost

don't want to sound like an asshole, but I think that playing vidia games is just a waste of time.
I mean, in your free time you can learn something new (like new operating system), browse web, watch movies, socialize (including shitposting on Sup Forums), etc. Why would you want to spend that time on playing with mechanics (that you've probably learnt many titles before) of new game?

I play PS1 and GBA games

I'm set, and its 100x better and faster than modern gaming

THat said I want to play Overcooked but no linux port

Not OP but, two words:

Interactive escapism.

There are many forms of escapism: films, music, literature. But interactive games can be beautiful escapism. Inspiring at times. Don't knock them, they can be incredible. I have had some great, great experiences with games.

>he isn't playing pubg

dualboot for league.
now my gpu is freaking out, so my windows partition is useless.

the only thing i sometimes play other than league is xonotic and its on linux.

a lot of games today are a fucking scam, bad or boring and there are games that are somewhat old and they are starting to work fine under wine, so there is not much to lose really, and even with that i started to lose a lot of interest on games

>Civilization V
Literally the only game you'll ever need.

>Just stop playing games, it's that easy. The "culture" is disgusting, the consumerist tech illiteracy of the average gamer is disgusting, and games are trash in general.
Literally all of this.

>umatrix is my minesweeper

>a lot of games today are a fucking scam, bad or boring
Also this. Hollywew has turned gaming into interactive jewvies.

I too thought games could be on par with literature, art and film when I was 17. Then I grew the fuck up.

I play only CSGO on PC, and it runs on Loonix. No reason to use Windows.

I game in a Windows 10 virtual machine alongside Linux, google VFIO.

There are TONS of games for Linux now -- check out Steam and see what all is supported. It's insane compared to 10+ years ago.

Plus there's Playstation, XBox, etc.

Peak videogames happened back around 2005. Not much reason to bother with them since.

All of my games have a native Linux version, or run perfectly with WINE.
Granted, I don't play many video games.

>camping in a house simulator
That's fucking boring, I'd rather shitpost.

Every thread about video games is
>tfw to mature for video games
Like anybody here is mature lmao.

Anyways, I kinda realized the other day I spend most of my time on Linux and I don't miss windows much at all. Booting into it feels suffering because it just feels so bloated. I boot into windows for some games but Linux support is pretty good, and WINE is coming along.

You clearly haven't played it, you can't camp and hope to win.

Some games are art. And some games are better than some literature.

You don't have to compare Tomb Raider to Caravaggio or Dostoevsky but there do exist masterpieces of gaming. There are games with incredible artwork, atmosphere, writing, story and depth. It would be naive to think there aren't.

>>tfw to mature for video games
Clearly it doesn't take much at all.

Stop this meme. Valve only provides a .deb for linux so it only works on Debian and it's derivatives. Good luck getting this shit to work on Fedora.

>installed linux
>actually got a a good job after
>bought a console for occasional gaming

alternatively you can try growing up

I did not let go of PC gaming I just dual boot when I feel the urge to do so. And even then if it's a visual novel I will just use steam on Ubuntu.

Tell me how many games are supported on Steam for Linux now?

Doesn't bother me as a Debian user, and I don't even use the deb package on volvo website, on Debian you can get it straight from non-free repos with apt. It just works. Did you even bother to Google though?
developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Steam_under_Linux#Fedora

They're not officially maintained, and it doesn't fucking work.

Move to a better distro (read as: Debian) then instead of being a beta tester for NSA Hat

As of just now, 7947.

Bear in mind that not all of those will work in all Linux disros, but a good quantity will work in your distro, whatever that may be.

You can extract .deb packages on any distro.
Getting the dynamically linked dependencies may or may not be a hassle, but it still should work.

We're getting closer to Wine+Linux dominance, but we're not there yet.

It's really snazzy that you can install the Windows version of Steam through Wine and most of your games will just work, games will automatically run through Wine seamlessly without any special setup.

Skyrim works perfectly in wine.

At some point I just stopped being interested in them.
Nowadays there's always something I would rather be doing with my time. If something really different and interesting comes out I'll give it a try, but the last game that really grabbed me was The Witness.
Yeah this is annoying. The whole "I only eat celery and drink water" shtick is funny, but not when it's done unironically. Anyone who goes on Sup Forums and criticizes people's hobbies is a retard. They should show Sup Forums to any surviving grandparents they have and see what their opinion is on how their granson spends his time.

My PC is painfully slow so I only do /vr/-tier games via DOSBox.
I'm quite sure my poorfag experiecnes reflect that of many other linux users.

Become a man and put away childish things. Seriously though, Minecraft, Kerbal Space Program, and Dwarf Fortress are the only games I play anyway. With new AAA games being shit it's not that difficult to give up windows gaming.

I want to get into DF. One day. I don't really have time at the moment. But one day I want to get into it so badly that I don't leave the house for weeks.

>using something other than a Debian derivative

I used a Shitty machine for Linux because the user experience is zero percent different on better hardware. I put Windows and games on the expensive but untrusted hardware. Cost:$50 more than dual booting

Nowadays I sometimes game in a virtual machine with practically native performance but I used to just either temporarily install Windows for the summer/holidays or (usually) entertain myself in other ways. Or game on my 3DS.

WINE can almost run Overwatch decently. It's still a bit stuttery, but developers have made rapid progress lately.

DELID DIS!

>how did you let go of PC gaming for good?
I just grew up.

>alternatively you can try growing up
I don't recommend it. It's worth faking though. Sometimes.

The life and time of Mr K. I. L. Joy Esq

I mostly lost interest, but I still play some linux compatible games from time to time anyway like portal or some of the indie games on steam, most of them are available on linux anyway.

Also, I'm a poor fag without a decent machine to play

Same, I do want to play Starcraft Remastered once it comes out but nothing else.

Prior to switching, I knew that most of my games would work fine on Linux, but afterwards I never really felt the need to play them.
I ended up learning a couple of scripting languages and messed around with them in my spare time.

If you don't mind a loss in quality, streaming is currently the best option. I exclusively play games through Steam's streaming software.

I had realized how utterly worthless and cancerous multi-player games are and ditched them.

Good single-player focused games are rare, so I didn't get my fix as often. letting my interest in games just fade away.

you eventually stop caring. i regret wasting my youth with video games.

i haven't enjoyed a single video game since a bad trip on dxm gave me persistent anxiety and dissociation

just fucking.... do drugs until one of them ruins you and video games won't be fun anymore

i have just lost interest, i just play programmings games that run on linux, like Shenzhen I/O.

>addicted to video games
>decide to quit cold turkey
>back up important documents and install debian
>works better than windows and can't play games anymore (wine is too much effort, fuck that)
>doing semi-productive stuff in my free time now

No regrets, fuck video games

you grow up and stop playing vidya

in all seriousness though, I haven't enjoyed a new release from a large developer since Civ 5. I haven't enjoyed an indie release since papers please. migrated to linux, stopped playing them, and I can't see what I used to like about vidya anymore.

I just lost motivation to play video games. They're too repetetive to hold my interest for long. Also, they are shit for telling engaging stories because they can't direct attention like movies and books do. That's said, there are still some interesting experiments like Stanley Parable (I would not consider it a game, though).

>bad trip on dxm
Holy shit, I didn't know that was even possible. How much did you do?

I played the HELL out of Doom back in the
90's. But my family was dirt poor and couldn't
afford much shit. Then I got a copy of Slackware
in '95 and I had a much more interesting "game"
to play with from then on.

I don't play games and I still won't use Loonics because its shit.

I just use Steam, I don't care much if the game is not available for Steam OS, it's not like I'm a kid and I need to play it at all costs

I do what along of other people due. I erased my last windows partition about a year ago. I am addicted to league of legends and it runs fine in wine. Osu runs great (better then native) in wine and any other games I own have linux versions or run in wine but there is not many other games. I play a lot of SMB3 but I have an NES for that. I do have win 7 installed to a VM in case of an emergency where windows is needed(I'm a collage student so never know what a crazy professor will want). I am planning to upgrade to a GPU passthrough enabled CPU and Mobo for better league performance but I am very happy so far with getting rid of windows.

I play old PC/Linux games and roguelikes (also effectively old games). And as long as emulators are made for Linux, that solves pretty much all of my admittedly little gaming needs.

>The "culture" is disgusting
Most culture is disgusting.
>the consumerist tech illiteracy of the average gamer is disgusting
The illiteracy of the average person is disgusting.
>games are trash in general.
If they are, I was blinder to it when I was younger than I am now (and nostalgia is bullshit; don't fall for the "golden age" meme). Nevertheless, I find gaming somehow psychologically "necessary". I do less of it than I used to, and I do it with more niche and technical games than I used to, but even enjoying a nice AAA game gives me some subconscious nourishment that I feel like I need. Maybe it's the product of growing up playing games. Maybe it's the basic human need for recreation with shit that rewards the emotional and visual processors in the brain. While I'm playing, I feel like I'd rather be programming or doing something productive because I value that more than whatever the game is giving me. However, if all I do is programming without playing games, I begin to feel "worn" somehow. After gaming, even if I didn't feel like I particularly enjoyed it, I feel somehow refreshed, like after a night's sleep, and I can program more productively.

TL;DR: I think I'm addicted to electric soma lotuses.

>some subconscious nourishment that I feel like I need
Well, you can't exactly set out with your friends on adventures in the wilderness in most places anymore.

that's what i thought, and basically that's probably what fucked me over, i smoked cannabis because i thought i had no reason to worry on ~750mg coming down, i had actually done this before too
i knew i fucked up immediately and i was on a ride for the next 3 hours

i actually got visuals (never have i gotten them on dxm otherwise) but for the most part it was just like that feeling you get with sleep paralysis for 3 hours long and also with diminished thought capacity

felt like an eternity and i got a bunch of panic attacks after it and got addicted to benzos lmfao

>Did you just lose interest
Pretty much. I got my first ubuntu running when still middle school, got interested on open source shit since then. Thus, i got myself into liking programming more. iirc, moved to arch when highschool. Yes this is weird, I'm still playing with my clan every now and then, but Its only 1 or 2 matches. I just couldnt get that joy from gaming again.

I still like to play sudoku though.

Your issues arise from your outlook or your personality type. You seem to think things have to be one or another (binary) and that something is probably best. Your attraction to games is similar to this in that it baits you into 'winning' something.

I think you'll probably wrestle with trying to be exclusive in linux but you'll probably to back to windows because the idea that you can do both is completely foreign and too abstract. The esthetics of gaming hardware is geared towards attracting the person who needs to 'win'. I put win in quotes but because I don't see a gain but merely a cashcow to be exploited.

a lot of games support linux and you can dual boot for everything else

>this reply is valid on every Sup Forums thread
I want to make pasta out of this

>Yes, that's right. I switched from fun gaming to boring programming solely appease my ego when people ask what I do in my spare time

>from fun gaming
nigger half the anons in this thread said they don't find gaming fun or interesting

and they're right, games nowadays are fucking awful

Well in highscool around junior year I got really addicted to gaming, especially call of duty, spent like $1400 on just the desktop alone. When senior year came around I noticed that instead of being out Friday nights partying at hotel parties trying to get my dick sucked (I am still puzzled how anyone our age was able to rent a hotel room) I was in my room playing video games. So I sold my setup and bought a cheap ass laptop, thinkpad x120e most worthwhile $300 I ever spent. Haven't touched Gaymes since. Made the switch over to ubuntu for a few years and then switched to Debian.
Unironically I mean this without trying to sound like a memester, if you're over the age of 16 and you still spend a majority of your time playing video games and you thought about quitting, you definitely need to stop. Sell your gaming shit, buy a laptop that you can't play games on.

Did hotel parties work out better for you after that?

Well done.

when I was exclusively on Linux, I mostly just emulated
not like I ever had any kind of machine for running PC games
only thing I missed was Halo CE, which supposedly would have worked in Wine, but I never got it to back then
actual dumb shit: ended up running a lot of emulators in Wine because a lot of the native Linux ports fucking sucked

this was like 7-8 years ago at this point though
although to this day, I still run MAME in Wine because I get like double the performance vs a native MAME build

I was going to them even with the gaming but I was missing out on most of them, not just hotel parties but house parties. Some fun times were had partying at those hotel rooms and at people's homes.

The point really is that if you game and you thought about quitting, it's most likely time for you to quit. I understand some people love gaming but those aren't the people making "how do I stop gaming" threads. Then you get a bunch of gaymur faggots coming in here just spreading their cancer around.

windows is technically free
just use a vm or another pc for games