/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago (outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Upcoming Nokia 8 flagship to cost close to €500
gsmarena.com/pricing_leaks_for_the_upcoming_nokia_8_flagship-news-26481.php

New iPhone 8 leaked renders allegedly show finalized design
gsmarena.com/new_iphone_8_leaked_renders_allegedly_show_finalized_design-news-26360.php

Huawei Mate 10 will have "full-screen display", CEO says while revealing exit from the low-end
gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_10_will_have_fullscreen_display_ceo_confirms_while_revealing_exit_from_the_lowend-news-26435.php

Meizu Pro 7 And Meizu Pro 7 Plus Now Official: Dual Cameras, Dual Displays & Fast Charge
gizmochina.com/2017/07/26/meizu-pro-7-meizu-pro-7-plus-now-official-dual-cameras-dual-displays-fast-charge/

Xiaomi Mi 5X Official: Mi 6 Dual Cameras, SD625, Priced At 1,499 Yuan ($220)
gizmochina.com/2017/07/26/xiaomi-mi-5x-official-dual-cameras-sd625-1499-yuan-220/

LG V30 to go on sale on September 15 in Korea, US gets it on the 28th
gsmarena.com/lg_v30_to_go_on_sale_on_september_15_in_korea_us_gets_it_on_the_28th-news-26473.php

old:

Other urls found in this thread:

brotechstore.com/Uking-4G-Phone-5.5-Inch-Octa-Core-3.0-Ghz-MediaTek-MT6753-RAM-8GB-ROM-128GB-Android-5.1-GPS-3G-4G-LTE-WCDMA-16.0MP24.0-MP-Dual-Camera-1440p-WiFi-GPS-Dual-SIM-4300-mAh-p-4179.html
whiteboard.ping.se/Android/Rooting
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>buy any phone
>has no removable battery
>x time passes
>phone hardware and software are fine, but battery is shit now
>have to replace entire phone because replacing battery is too expensive now

Dumbfuck shitstain.

Phone advice

Looking at
One plus 5
HTC u11
Samsung s8+
Nokia 8
Google pixel xl
iPhone 7+

Going to be using it on Sprint, mostly looking for phone that can hold up to a lot of use, gaming, video, developing. So something fast but also a battery that will last 10 hours with heavy use. Phone i have now last only few hours

Just replace the battery yourself

Me and my supervisor were just discussing that today, all phones are moving to non-removable.

they're made to not open properly

Oneplus 5 won't work with Sprint, Nokia 8 probably won't either. Out of the rest, I'd go with the U11 if you don't mind no headphone jack.

The u11, or S8+ are your best bets. I can endorse the battery life of the s8+ but I don't know about the u11. The lack of TouchWiz on that phone may help in the real world, so you'll have to do more research yourself

>buy any ssd
>has limited lifetime and degrades over time
>x time passes
>performance is shit show, or goes read only
>have to replace entire SSD

Femanon here
Any news on how the new bezel-less iPhone 8 will work in the dark? Is infrared technology really that advanced - can't see why no other manufacturer has even tried it yet

Get a G5 Plus, redmeme note 4 or p10 lite?

Why the fuck does your gender matter? Fuck off.

which ones? the phones i've looked at have straightforward ways to open them and replace components. if it's water-resistant you'll probably fuck up the seal but w/e

he's shitposting and he's been doing it in these threads for a while now

(You) for effort

Can I ask about tablets here, they're basically the same thing right?

In UK, looking for budget 10 inch tablet for my mother to browse internet, YouTube, video call. Under £200.

Can I go wrong with a cheap Asus? Asus zenpad Z300M?

Is such a cheap tablet actually gonna be usable?

Any other brands I should look at?

I don't see people talking about asus (loving or hating). I'm looking for a phone with solid battery life and they have those 5000mah beasts.
What is the verdict on Asus?

xiaomi mi pad 3

should I get the huawei honor 9, p9, or p10? don't want to spend too much money

Is that another iPhone clone?

they're shit just get a redmi note 4

yo anyone think this a good idea? otherwise im thinking samsung c7

>brotechstore.com/Uking-4G-Phone-5.5-Inch-Octa-Core-3.0-Ghz-MediaTek-MT6753-RAM-8GB-ROM-128GB-Android-5.1-GPS-3G-4G-LTE-WCDMA-16.0MP24.0-MP-Dual-Camera-1440p-WiFi-GPS-Dual-SIM-4300-mAh-p-4179.html

Is Nokia 3 good?

Is the s8 worth it? Its only 19 a month through my phone companies leasing plan.

>has dual cameras
>has screen
>LMAO IPHONE CLONE? HAHA ANDROIDKEKS

google brotechstore

Is F2FS worth it?

Good point senpai, not having waterproofing anymore is a big w/e. May as well remove the volume rocker as well, it's another w/e.

not even a week in with my new phone and this thing feels tinier than I remember

Is it ok to ask for tablet advice?

I have an old Nexus 7 second gen that is shitting the bed soon. I also have about $150 dollars in Amazon credit so I might as well get a new one. I was going to get the Nvidia Tablet but that's out everywhere like it's a fucking Wii in 2007.

Any other comparable Android tablets within the $200-$300 price range? I'm looking to see if I could root them so I can install my own shit instead of the bloated crappy 4.4 kit-kat that seems to plague most tablets. so my only criteria is Android and hackable.

anyone installed Lineage OS on a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Special Edition (kate)?
Is it safe to flash the TWRP kenzo image? The documentation for this is awful

cute, is that an iphone 4/S?

most phones don't have waterproofing in the first place, and why do you think you'll have to replace the battery, as if you're going to spend the money on a replacement battery for an old obsolete phone, stupid little prick

>google brotechstore
yea i know. im asking for info on this particular model or anything legit is like it and exists because duh its looks too good

no it's a complete scam

4s yeah
it's still my favorite

Getting confused I think, are the P2 and Phab 2 the same phones?

No, completely different phones.

I dont have it but its a basic phone
Nothing stands out and that's the whole beauty of it, it looks clean

I like it too, never had it though. I love that sandwich look.

what should i do with an old sim card?

what's up with these octacore phones?

Is it a true eight-core processor or a dual 4 core chip? meaning 4 cores for energy savings and the other for high end apps. This shit is puzzling, I didnt know such thing was even necessary.

The Moto E4 offers a better battery with same rest of the specs while it costs less than the Nokia 3. so no.

>Nokia
>flagship

>have Nexus 6
>tired of wack fucking battery life and slightly unwieldy size
>On project Fi in burgerstan, willing to jump to T-mo, or an MVNO like Cricket, StraightTalk etc.

Any recommendations? Carrier, or phone!
I'm looking to spend around $350-550.

Things I'd like in order of importance

>+++Battery/USB C
N6 gets like 3 hrs SoT and almost always needs to be charged by the end of the day. Also the micro USB port is SOOOO shit and is about to fail any day now. So USB-C, good battery, quick charging
>++ Performance
Need something that justworks, no crashes, dumb ass bugs, etc. Would be nice to emulate games on it too
>++ Headphone jack
this is standard, fuck you Apple
>+ IP68
never had it except for my work phone (GS7, but it's poorly implemented on it?) but I would really like the peace of mind of having it
>+removable battery
longevity/ability to stick a dumb fucking hueg battery on it (Moto Z play is a special case for this one)
>+ warranty
I don't want to fuck around if my phone's a lemon. Honestly have never had to send any of my phones in for repair but I'd rather be safe than sorry
>~community support/Stock android support
ROM support isn't necessary but a nice incentive to the longevity of the phone imo. Stock android has always been my preference, but I'm open to minimally skinned versions of android also as long as it's tasteful.
>~ Camera
I have a DSLR, I just need something passable for the cell camera for quick pictures. Bonus points if its great, but not my #1 feature by any means.

Currently eyeing up
>LG G6
>LG V20
>Moto Z Play (1st Gen or Z2 play)
>OP3T ($440 on Oppomart)
>Jellyscreen 5
>Wait for Nokia 8
>Wait for Pixel XL2

Anything I might have missed? What should I do? Why does every phone seem to fucking suck in one major way?

mmm, yes, reeks of symmetry

if you ever plan on getting one to repurpose as an iPod of sorts make sure it's 64 gb and black

Also I realize Pixel XL2 might be fuck expensive, but if it ends up being a perfect phone I'd be willing to drop dosh on it.

Also forgot to mention
>Wait for MotoX4
>ZTE Axon7 (hard to find now? out of stock? is Axon 8 coming soon?)

last time I try replying to myself

Do I just say fuck it and spend a little more and get an unlocked GS8? I'm not the biggest fan of Touchwiz, Bixby, and the meme shatterprone screen but it seems to check all the other boxes besides removable battery

best chinkphone with NFC and at least SD625?

throw it in the trash?

Since HTC shat the bed this year, I'm moving to a new brand.
I need:
-Robust metal body
-Good sound with dedicated DAC
-Stereo speakers
-Minimalist OS with no bloatware

Price doesn't really matter. Basically I just want another HTC One. Does such a thing exist?

I think people take GSMArena for granted way too much.

>standardized battery test
>standardized camera test
>huge database of phone specs with a search function
>have a review or two out every week
>pretty much no downtime
>decent news that only cover believable leaks

Looking to upgrade my Galaxy S5 with a LG v20.
Will cost me around £350 here in the UK. The removable battery and SD card slot are essential for me.
Are there any better alternatives for £350 or under, with both removable battery and sd card?

Stock rom, rooted but Doze off, Greenify off

OP3
Thoughts?

screen on time?

I'm thinking about doing the same.

My Nexus 6p has not had any of the faulty battery issues, overheating, or bootlooping.

How long do you think I'll be able to use it comfortably?

Is Resurrection Remix the best custom ROM out there, or should I consider something else?
Working with a G4+.

4 to 4.5

eh.

Not bad, not that good?

1.5 to 2 years?

Idk is there anything you don't like about it?

>iPhone 7+
this is what you want if you want updates and actual customer service that's not out there to fuck you.

Yeah I'm thinking of running Greenify or putting Doze on, but the last time I did one or the other (also on stock rom and the paranoia ROM), too many apps' notifications stopped running.

Could be paranoid about it but I don't know.

>
>>iPhone 7+
>this is what you want if you want updates and actual customer service that's not out there to fuck you.

Can't believe this can't be apple care

Alright so Samsung's s8+s are on sale at my local bestbuy for like 600 dollars or so, and fuck..

Never had a smartphone before and what are the dos and donts of having one?

or maybe talk me out of it?

or is a new model coming out soon?

Not sure what to upgrade to. I'm looking at the Kyocera DuraForce Pro and the Moto Z2 Force, as I'm finally gonna be upgrading to a rather current phone. I rather enjoy the sheer flexibility offered by the Z2F, but I'm always out in the field so the DuraForce Pro is looking awesome with its mid-range specs and durability.

Don't fucking do it. TouchWiz is still really bad on the GS8, is buggy and Samsung's own development team has not improved either. (Bixby launched almost 4 months after the phone did)
If anything, the G6 checks all of your wants and needs and is way cheaper.

Gotcha. Like I said I have a GS7 for work also so I know where touchwiz is... it's definitely still not optimal. But yeah the whole bixby thing is a turn off

My concern with the G6 is battery life won't be all that good, and LGs skin might be a bit heavy. Are these fears unfounded? Should I just maybe wait for the Moto X4 and Nokia 8 to be announced?

I have doze enabled on my Nexus 6.

I don't think I'm missing notifications.

I still don't have a smartphone. I'm not a luddite it's just so goddamn expensive and I'm so goddamn poor. Pictured is my phone, which I've had for over a decade at this point. At this point it's the composite of three of these phones as I replace components and cannibalize batteries.

It's a pay as you go phone that requires $20 USD every five months (so $4 a month) for a finite, but sufficient for my needs, number of minutes.

Is there any data plan in the united states that caters to my poverty level phone budget? I don't need data, wifi is fine. I just want a phone that can make calls and can make use of wifi. Right now I just drag my (equally old) laptop around with me. It's getting old.

Shut up bitch boy

Got axon 7, previous phone is note 4. Advice for methods of transferring data to new phone?

I pre-ordered a Z2 Force and am probably gonna get that projector mod. It has a 2720 mAh battery which isn't great, but it has a SD 835 and decent optimizations from what I've heard. Plus it has gestures and is durable as all fuck bc of the Shattershield and strong aluminum build. It seems like a decent purchase to me

Data as in media? Or system data?
First one is probably best through a PC, copy to PC, paste to new phone
First andor Second you can use titanium backup

get talkatone. it's free.
It uses google voice to make calls(voip calling). all you need is internet.

Look up the Alcatel Ideal its a very cheap smartphone that does its job and you can get it unlocked.

Axon 7 but I'm not too sure about ZTEs skin
Iphone 7

These are your only options for metal build and stereo speakers.

The axon 7 has stereo front facing speakers.

You could also wait for pixel 2 as it might have stereo FFS.

U11

Xiaomi redmi 5 or nexus 6?

What is your new phone? I have an iphone 4s that is in dire need of replacement too.

>tfw CDMA

I can't wait for this cancer to finally die in 2020, but by then I will have probably already switched to a GSM carrier.

No

/spg/ consensus on the pixel?

I'm in a similar boat. I'm wondering why you aren't considering the V20 or G6?

Nice shitpost, my friend

Same feels. My old SII plus looks so tiny compared to my Redmeme note 4.

What's the cleanest way to root a phone? Will this work on any phone? If it does, how come there are some phones where it's hard to get root access?

whiteboard.ping.se/Android/Rooting

>redmi 5
There's no such thing, buddy.

Do I wait for the Axon 7 to get activated on Sprint's network or do I just go ahead and get the G5 plus now?

Not harm in trying I guess

best phone to install gnu ÷ linux on

Oneplus 3/3T

No /sqt/ thread so I though I'd ask this here.

Firefox isn't saving images, how do I fix this?

Settings -> apps -> Firefox -> permissions

Make sure storage is enabled

All I really care about is a Sup Forums browsing device that also plays hearthstone, is there any reason to go over $300?
I've been using an s5 for the past few years and with lineage it's still as responsive as my sister's iPhone 6s+ and my friend's Galaxy s7 edge, the only reason I'm switching is because I fucked up trying to replace the screen and broke the digitizer cable.

Didn't work.

is the issue that you're tapping 'download image' and nothing happens?

Any news on the Zenfone AR? Good stuff, bad stuff?

Does the G6 have bootloop issues like literally every lg phone before it?