Why is this piece of shit so bad?

Why is this piece of shit so bad?

Other urls found in this thread:

spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/the-2017-top-programming-languages
github.com/lsst
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's made for idiots by idiots

I've never used python nor coded anything in my entire life, describe to me why I should hate this language.

/thread

Or, alternatively:
It's made for people who don't care by idiots

Use Java.

This meme of hating a good language is bad.

You shouldn't. These people don't have jobs.

value = 1
# some error n shit will happen at runtime instead of at compile time
value = valu + 1

(you)

I love using the python interpreter as a calculator and to quickly prototype ideas. That's about all I use it for. It's got some good features like list comprehension and extended slicing, but it's just too damn slow.

Being a meme scientist isn't a job.

You realize in any IDE you can quickly run your code, and it is expected to test your code before pushing/releasing it, right?

This is just a TypeError. Very simple, very easy to fix. And if your IDE was decent, you would quickly be alerted to it.

Everyone who does not use what I use or disagrees with me is an idiot the post.

Python:
>Can pretty much do what ever you want
>tons of libraries for many tasks
>loads of frameworks for certain tasks
>used by lots of people smart and dumb(like all things)
>not the fastest language but you can use cython to speed things up

Please tell me why its a language for idiots other than "Hur duh you're to dumb too understand".

Python is really fucking comfy. It's great for automating tasks and ezpz stuff where efficiency matters.

Show me another language that allows me to write a script that parses some really shitty website and puts all my shifts into my Google Calendar within 15-20 minutes.

Also, show me another language that I can use to write an entire mission control suite for a nanosatellite that allows the rapid prototyping that Flask does.

Python has its faults. It's not for real-time software like stock trading or bank accounts. The strong reliance on type inference is also detrimental. But it's certainly not a sit language. If you learned anything from during your programming languages classes, it should've been that each language is suited for a different purpose.

using an ide lmao

What are you doing where the network i/o isn't the bottleneck?

A language should outsource compiler responsibilities into other tools and the testing meme applies to dynamic cancer mostly.

Okay, if you have a shitton of vim plugins you'd probably get an error raised as well. You are only putting yourself through suffering for no reason.

It's easy so Sup Forums obviously hates it.

I refactored some code in Python that took 2 hours to run and now it takes 5 minutes.

>Show me another language that allows me to write a script that parses some really shitty website and puts all my shifts into my Google Calendar within 15-20 minutes.
Literally everything else with a decent scraper library and some web shit.

ezpz stuff where efficiency DOESNT matter. Sorry senpai, I missed an important word.

>not dividing up your code into functions
>not testing all those functions with various inputs

It's like you don't even code for a living.

The main implementation sucks in many ways and it influences the other implementatons, since there is no proper separation between language and implementation.

I code for a living in languages build by people that know the first thing in language design. Except for Ruby, but apart from that flaw, it is all around a better experience as a scripting language.

spectrum.ieee.org/computing/software/the-2017-top-programming-languages

Sup Forums is the kid in class that will hate something everyone else likes for sole reason of being the one person to not like it and basking in the attention everyone else gives them for not liking it.

>"How can you not like it"

If everyone used AMD cpus Im sure Sup Forums would be saying that Intel is a fucking god and everyone who does not agree is a shill,pajeet or retard.Sup Forums just likes the unpopular things and think they are Superior for doing so.

>spectrum
>If everyone used AMD cpus Im sure Sup Forums would be saying that Intel is a fucking god
If everyone used AMD it would hold Intels position.
Think before you post.

You're implying that no other characteristics matter other than popularity position. Think before you post.

You are implying that quasi monopolists could be raping the market and would care to deliver quality. Think before you post.

To be fair, that guy doesn't know how to benchmark. But CPythons way of starting up is retarded.

That's a pretty garbage theory about how sophisticated technology markets work

when you think about it, it's actually not bad for a programming language written buy a guy named Guido

Not my fault, I don't make this reality where quasi-monopolists do what they want and get away with it every time.
There are other programming languages written by Guidos?

It's a good language to learn programming and basic algorithms, but I still prefer C++.

Gee, maybe something where he doesn't use network? Not everything is IoT cloud whatever.

Despite popular believe, network io often isn't the bottleneck. Often ORMs in slow languages are.

Define "an entire mission control suite for a nanosatellite".

It's a great language cause client want a fully working software developed as fast as possible and don't care buy hardware that handle the bloat because it's cheaper than pay dev for a fully developed software optimized as fuck for mouth.
Python is easy to use, safe, and fast enough.
That's the reality

Let's try it.
$ time python2 empty

real 0m0.022s
user 0m0.012s
sys 0m0.009s

$ time python3 empty

real 0m0.036s
user 0m0.025s
sys 0m0.008s

$ time ruby empty

real 0m0.066s
user 0m0.056s
sys 0m0.008s

$ time perl empty

real 0m0.015s
user 0m0.004s
sys 0m0.000s

$ time tclsh empty

real 0m0.007s
user 0m0.006s
sys 0m0.001s

$ time bash empty

real 0m0.008s
user 0m0.000s
sys 0m0.008s

Software responsible for sending software commands, interfacing with the radio hardware (on ground), storing telemetry and making predictions based on the telemetry, as well as an entire web interface for accessing all this data and controls. All in python.

Undisputed GOAT scripting language
Takes a couple days to learn and pays for that time within a few weeks.

>not compiled
>whitespace indentation to delimit code blocks
>dynamic type system

No thank you

What is the most profitable coding language Sup Forums ?

Is there any major scripting language that _couldn't_ do, especially with an FFI library for GPIO and such? Sounds like you might have an interesting story to tell about that satellite, though.

That that is how all interpreted languages work. Not an issue of Python itself. Proof that Python haters are retarded and cannot understand how languages work.

you are describing interpreted languages and comparing it to compiled languages.

its a feature of interpretation, not necessarily python

There is no argument. Most of the people on here who dislike probably run windows (and that tells you something about them)

>it takes python .050ms to start from bash and run empty script
>it takes bash .004 ms to run a script within bash while it is already running

Super intuitive benchmark. It is a totally accurate comparison.

By amount of job postings and ease of hire:
Pajeet webdev shit like Javascript, Ruby on Rails, PHP

By average salary:
Prob maintaining some thirty year old assembly-level codebase that noone with a social life wants to come within 100 miles of

Other scripting languages can do it, the issue is how much work it is do get it done.

because it's not Pearl

Most of the people complaining are autistic CS students. There's a reason why the scientific community has embraced python in the way that they have. Sure you can argue that it doesn't run as fast as "insert language". But how quick you can write the code + the packages you more than make up for that. protip: people time is more expensive that computer time.

Ruby, Perl...

Python has superficially easy to understand syntax and is used by people who dont program who need to do programming tasks. When you learn Python at a deeper level you will see that the design is very hacky:
if __name__ == "__main__":
main()

Ruby and Julia are both better designed languages and are used by people who want to understand the language at a deep level and who appreciate a well designed language that can be used to its full potential.

>Used by the LSST and most scientist/astronomers
>Hur dur, de worst language ever
github.com/lsst

Ruby is way better though

>it takes bash .004 ms to run a script within bash while it is already running
No, if you call bash ./myscript, you're calling bash in a separate process, like any other program and the same as calling CPython.

That's probably the worst example you could've picked because both Ruby and Julia have the same issue.
The only difference is that using the same file as both the main script and a module is not as common of a practice in other languages.

No story, huh?

what's a syntax checker?

IQ 86: the post.