Why aren't you watching all of your anime in h.265/HEVC?

Why aren't you watching all of your anime in h.265/HEVC?
It's literally twice as space efficient and requires only a modest increase in processor power to decode.
In the past, a single cour of 1080p anime took 6GB, now you can store it in only 2.5GB!
>b-b-b-b-but muh crusty 20yo thinkpad cant play x265!!!
Time for an upgrade!!

Other urls found in this thread:

download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/x264/binaries/win64/
builds.x265.eu
tomshardware.com/news/qualcomm-snapdragon-820-hardware,30539.html
x264.nl/x264/10bit_02-ateme-why_does_10bit_save_bandwidth.pdf
01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2017q2-intel-graphics-stack-recipe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>h.265
I would if only you fags could make good 720p releases.

What a fucking lie
>ADOPT 10BIT IT'LL MAKE FILESIZES SMALLER
>filesizes literally double
>ADOPT HEVC IT'LL MAKE FILESIZES SMALLER!!
>1080p Hi10p h.265
>7GB for 12 episodes

FUCK YOU DAIZ

720p? What year is it?

What? are you fucking serious?

idk, i used to have shitty laptops so im used to the HDTV garbage rips, but yeah i guess i should try this new toy. thanks for the idea user.

>having 3rd world internet

To anybody who does encodes: please do them in 10-bit and with a CRF of 22. I tried it and it really does give the best balance of quality and file size.

A single hour of SD anime only takes like 5-700Mb and can play on a potato, bro. It's not like anime needs a high resolution, neither. It's only ever a few lines, paintbucket filler, and some squeaky moonspeak for an audio track.

I usually watch my anniemays on my Nexus 10 anyway. Why would I watch on a desktop computer when I have a tablet?

when will the h.265/HEVC meme finally die?

How is it a meme? The newest encoder is at least 50% more efficient than the H264 one.

See for yourself:
download.videolan.org/pub/videolan/x264/binaries/win64/

builds.x265.eu

>cour
just kys yourself

22's a bit high, i tend to use 17

>falling for the mpeg-la jew
no thanks. av1 is where it's at.

Wow, that's a cute girl.

>384MiB
That's ~10GB per season. I would rather download a ~2-3GB 22 CRF 720p 10-bit HEVC anime rip instead.

But still thank you for using a CRF value instead of pulling aome random bitrate out of your ass and using an 8-bit encoder.

I started converting my DVDs to h.265 a few months ago, the space savings are great. I've got to get my dual quad-core Opteron server running again so the transcode times are bearable.

You're a good man. 17 is a great mix of quality and filesize.

What magic do encoders pull to get a season of anime under 2GB?
It's perfectly watchable too, why don't more fansubbers put in the effort?

All h.265 release are encodes of encodes. Besides, it'll be deprecated soon once AV1 comes out.

"At the same time, Qualcomm upgraded the hardware decode abilities of the SoC to support HEVC 10-bit and VP9."

tomshardware.com/news/qualcomm-snapdragon-820-hardware,30539.html

In like 10 years. We already have 10-bit HEVC hardware decoders on $200 phones.

10bit is a larger colorspace. h265 is a more efficient video codec.

But then you have to wait for it to mature and a wide adoption of hardware encoders for it. Fuck waiting a decade for that.

This is not the fault of H264 or H265. Most encoders out there are morons (see bloatgirls).

>I would rather download a ~2-3GB 22 CRF 720p 10-bit HEVC anime rip instead.
so would i, but i'm too much of a stickler for quality
i wish i could go back to not giving a shit, i would save so much more space

and yea, i learned ages ago that CRF is the appropriate option when one has no specific storage medium or bandwidth pipe to fill
filling a dvd? use 2-pass VBR
streaming over a network? use constrained VBR or CRF with a maxrate limit
are you an idiot? use CBR
otherwise use CRF

internet is better in shitty countries tard

CRF 18 is the best balance between quality and filesize. It sits right in the middle of the hair. Anything below or above is unacceptable.

>ugly girl pretends to be a boy
i hate this meme

>why aren't you watching anime
Guess, weebshit

>tech board
>MUH GUGGABAYTES!!
I download a single season in 40+ gb if I really like it, who the fuck cares.

At least she have the eyes.

No she doesnt
wearing giant circle lenses and globbing on eyeliner past your eye holes doesnt give you anime eyes

Because i own store anime i dont even watch anime. i cannot get into it t all. besides why would i want to compress an already compressed video from a shit torrent. I'd rather buy the BluRay or just make my own CD's and burn them on to it.

4U

CRF 18 is ~2X as big in file size as CRF 22.

Also don't get H264 confused with 10-bit HEVC CRF. They're very different.

Why wouldn't you go for far smaller filesizes with no noticeable loss in filesize? I mean, worrying about storage in the days of 10TB+ HDDs is quite dumb but so is wasting space.

pressed optical media is fine, but burned discs don't even last 10 years, you're a retard

What matters to me is the decoder. Can I decode H265 on the same hardware that decodes H264?
No?
Do I have to buy new shit?
Fuck you then.

Because proper 1080p rips are huge. 720 is too small. There's no in between.

And a proper h.265 1080p rip will be much smaller than a proper h.264 one.

I can't even tell the difference when upscaling 720p to fit my TV compared to 1080p.
Most anime is solid color that barely moves for 99% of runtime.
It's incredibly wasteful to dedicate 6GB of 1080p video to a slice of life show with BARELY ANY MOVEMENT.

I had to reinstall muh commie shilled CCCP 64bit instead of muh olde 32bits to get them to play, and after that my irfanview can no longer play animus in mkv. Sad.

Oh wait. I never did any tests with 10-bit HEVC.

I think they're using smartphones app to do it now. I've seen many of those on Instagram wrote something like, "omg this filter makes my eyes so anime~~~ OwO".

>10but muh quality
I didn't see that difference really except VLC hates it.

Do people here not use mpv?
It plays everything because it's a literal frontend for ffmpeg.
If ffmpeg supports it, so does mpv.

>In like 10 years. We already have 10-bit HEVC hardware decoders on $200 phones.

why would i want to view vidya on a tiny 5 inch screen? or use a really PHAT SJW notephone to view them better?

>tfw phones don't have microHDMI anymore

In software mode of course, unless you have a pentium 4 your cpu should have no problem decoding 10-bit HEVC

Newer hardware than that still has issues, my C2D can't even handle Blu-ray remuxes.

Do you have a 10 bit monitor? If not, then no, you won't see a difference.

turn hardware acceleration off

Still choppy

x264.nl/x264/10bit_02-ateme-why_does_10bit_save_bandwidth.pdf

dumbfucks

So where are the h265 rips? I hope you don't mean that I should encode them.

Of course I mean you should reencode them.

But then I should first get a raw video, Not an already encoded mess.

You can get a visually lossless transcode and still save space.

Who gives a shit about how big a file is ??

Poorfags

>er benutzt putty um auf seinen homeserver zuzugreifen
lachendenutten.jpg

Wenns der Homeserver wäre.

I do but my GPU can only do hybrid decoding for HEVC 8bit and 10bit is out of the question.
I still watch it using software CPU thou since that one is still fast.

There are 3 large reasons for why 720p is becoming a meme. First, almost everything is sourced from crunchyroll, which is itself upscaled to 1080p before anybody on this side of horriblesubs gets their hands on it. This means that anything with a [HS] source that isn't 1080p is actually a downscale of an upscale, which is just stupid. Second, a not-so-insignificant portion of anime for the past few years is mastered partially or totally at resolutions higher than 720p, though not always as high as 1080p. For that reason, 720p is losing detail that was supposed to be there. And third, Bluray disk releases are ALWAYS 1080p.

most anime has no detail so you're not missing out on much

>Pic shows 256 colors vs 1024 colors.
I'm not disagreeing that 10 bit (per channel) has many benefits over 8 bit (per channel), but that image isn't what we're talking about.

People who run a media server and leave their house sometimes. Even if you have gigabit home internet, good luck buffering those 1.6GB 24 minute eps on cell data or someone's wifi.

>vo
>mistimed: 12
>delayed: 18
>VSynch jitter: 0.068
What the fuck are you doing?

they arent 1.6 GB. often only 200mb up to 400mb.

skipping through a bit to find something to screenshot that shows off some sharp detail, some gradients, and some darkness
plus i was compiling something at the same time

what's the term for an audiophile who jerks off over video compression?

These threads are the worst. People without any encoding knowledge spreading false information and complaining.

videophile

since when fatetards are cancer?
op is a fucking retard

Since FGO.

posted from my thinkpad x41

Most anime still when tv broadcast is only 720p, and they save the 1080p version for when they do a bluray if they do it at all.

a downscale of an upscale, as shit as it is, is still less hdd space and damn near equal quality, so why piss space away for no reason?

01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/2017q2-intel-graphics-stack-recipe

>Add support for Gemini Lake (aka. GLK)
>- Decoding: H.264/MPEG-2/VC-1/JPEG/VP8/HEVC/HEVC 10-bit/VP9/VP9 10-bit

Is this enough for HEVC 10-bit Chinese cartoons?

Then you just hoard series then. That's fine. Why did you brag about not giving a fuck about file size then? 200MB is typical for a decent encode.

well i dont give a fuck the encodes are just like that but there could be also more than 1 GB.

It takes a shit ton of time

Anything other than raw bluray rips is losing detail that was supposed to be there, but how often do people download that?

>It plays everything because it's a literal frontend for ffmpeg.
>If ffmpeg supports it, so does mpv.
So do every single open source video player including VLC.

The most space I ever had anime take up was 1.5gb per episode on gits sac 1 and 2, everything else has been at most 500mb and in more recent years sub 150mb for 1080p

>modest increase in processor power to decode.
Because I have a 30 TB file share and an entry level Surface Pro.

>girl

because my evangelion deserves to be watched in good quality

Yes it is you cum drizzle. Using a 10-bit video encoder INCREASES color accuracy, thereby reducing the color banding eye cancer across all bitrates even if your monitor can only display 8-bit colors.

No it doesn't. Encoding 10-bit HEVC 720p anime video using the faster preset and 22 CRF gets a 24 episode season under 2GB and can be done in ~10 hours on even a shitty i3.

t. encoder who does encodes on his i3-4130

>because my evangelion deserves to be watched in good quality
>8-bit

ye

>10-bit
>for grain
Hello FLACtard.

sky lake already has 10-bit hevc decoding

>better overall encoding accuracy is bad
k

>falling for memes from the cartel

Hard Drives and SSD dont either. maybe a tapedrive instead.

It's just an exaggeration. 10-bit has real advantages that you can see just fine without even having to pause the video. It's especially helpful for modern anime since they use gradients so much.

Holy shit that's bad.

Yeah that's a rush-job encode from like day 1.

>Time for an upgrade!!
No thanks Mr NVidia shill.
If I can't watch it on a terminal connected over ssh to a $1/mo VPS, then it's over-encoded tryhard shit. H.262 for life.

Third is immaterial on its own as studio upscales are worse than what you can get with good upscaling in a good player.
The other points are true though.

What's the term for someone that jerks off over how many steps they did today?

>No it doesn't. Encoding 10-bit HEVC 720p anime video using the faster preset and 22 CRF gets a 24 episode season under 2GB and can be done in ~10 hours on even a shitty i3.
How is the quality? Is there any point of doing this when your source is Horrible subs shitty encodes?