Why is there ALWAYS a fucking problem with ANY linux distro?

Why is there ALWAYS a fucking problem with ANY linux distro?

I've been distrohopping and I cant find anything that works.

Latest issue
>Install arch / Gnome
>Cant click links on Steam
>Install propritary nvidia drivers
>Entire interface feels laggy as fuck, everything feels like its running at 5fps

Im giving up on linux. Fuck it. God damn timesink.

Other urls found in this thread:

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20170801.iso
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twm
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-1730-radeonsi&num=1
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-radeonsi-384&num=1
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You're using Nvidia and trying to fuck with steam
Kys

Welcome to the light, user.

cloveros.ga/s/CloverOS-x86_64-20170801.iso

antegos

Translated: "You're trying to use linux as a desktop operating system"

Yeah. Screw this. I'm out. Enjoy your opensores freetard inferior CRAP software.

>What is GPU Passthrough
Now fuck off back to

Oh hey a brand new literal who DE that about 10 people use worldwide, that has absolutely zero documentation or support, that is exactly like the other 900000 other rinky dink obscure distros

Wow! Maybe this one will really sell me!

yeah fuck off

Steam, Gnome, Arch and Nvidia works fine here
OP is a pajeet

Why do you enjoy hurting people?

can you open external links from the steam chat?

why doesnt it work for me?

When you buy into Linux you buy into the life of continually re-installing the OS. Before you're mentally conditioned to think that's actually normal, go back to Windows.

>muh gaymes

LMAOing @ ur lyfe

>literally the oldest window manager with 30 years of proven stability

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twm

literally just chatting with friends i dont even play games

nice to know linux/gnome/arch cant even get something as basic as opening external links working

LMFAO

WHY BOTHER

if you can't handle arch, just try an ubuntu flavor dude. did you start of learning to ride a bike with two wheels or did someone put training wheels on first?

I think its more a gnome issue than an arch issue but i guess you think if someone uses arch = any issue is because they dont know how to use arch

Retard.

Not my fault he's retarded.

not knowing how to do something means you don't how to properly utilize said system. If you can't figure why you can't do x you don't understand said system. So no, you don't really know how to use it.

Retard.

maybe opening links on steam is just broken on gnome?
???
??????????????

Dunno, did you set a default browser?
Maybe it's a mime type thing

>arch

not using gentoo (not trolling)

it's a possibility, but it's as possible it's just operator error.

Just choose a core distro. (a distro that does not derive from any other distro) e.g. debian as opposed to ubuntu and mint
I've been using debian for more than a decade.

whats the 'default' DE for debian?

>using a meme distro
>playing video games in 2017
>company that makes video cards writes shitty drivers. Linux fault!

what the FUCK are you "supposed" to use?

linux is too fragmented. theres never a "right" choice

Why?

Cause its all fucking shit.

>JUST DONT USE A GPU BY THE MOST POPULAR GPU MANUFACTURER IN THE WORLD

ok...?

>use AMD
>still sucks ass

kinda at a loss here
freetards convince themselves of anything

try a different WM. ive had problems with gnome and i use nividia. i just fucked it off and used xfce

xfce is god awful with multiple monitors. windows keep getting placed in the complete wrong monitor and in general the Display settings window is 80% broken and glitchy

Linux really is unuseable. Shocking.

>>Cant click links on Steam
Sounds like a Steam issue.

>>Entire interface feels laggy as fuck, everything feels like its running at 5fps
Quality AM- Nvidia drivers for ya.

Arch is fine
Vidya is good
Nvidia is the only manufacture that writes Linux drivers that work

as opposed to using AMD and trying to fuck with Steam?

>xfce is god awful with multiple monitors
Can confirm. Not to mention the horrible handling of libinput, the shitty hotkeys conflicting with ibus (gnome3 does it perfectly), and a few other bugs.

It's better than MATE still but MATE has none of these issues and is getting better. XFCE 4.16 can't come soon enough.

I'm really just sick of all this shit. I just want to get stuff done and use applications that feel GOOD and LOOK GOOD.

Time to just go back to the most sensible, usable, best looking OS's of all time.

Freetards only wish they could achieve ths level of functionality.

it allows you to pick from the main ones during the installer IIRC

>Muh loonix
>Muh FREEdums
>Installs STEAM DRM
Really, kids.

>Loonixxss: We don't even want to support 90% of mainstream videocards! Imagine that!

>he still tries to install closed source drivers
enjoy you ass pain

Looks like those glossy emoji toolbars that grandma downloaded on her computer before she had an antivirus.

>installed Ubuntu
>smooth sailing
Why use a bleeding edge distro if you don't know what you're doing yet.
Arch is fine, but it's not for you.

But i've been using arch for 5 years

It just sucks. It is for me. Its just a bad distro.

Ubuntu is unsuable because its in limbo. Unity is depreciated. Ubuntu is switching to gnome 3 in the near future

Pointless to use ubuntu now.

What now, brainiac?

piss off gnu+tard
nouveau is useless

>what the FUCK are you "supposed" to use?
The choice is simple - you either use Windows and waste time on the most retarded form of entertainment while Microsoft lead you into a bright 1984 future
or
you use a free operating system that respects your rights. A system that is capable to satisfy almost all of computing needs on a decent level but still has some inconviniences.
For me the choice is simple.

Which operating system? What distro? What DE?

>Ubuntu is unsuable because its in limbo.
Wrong on many levels.
>Unity is depreciated.
This is correct
>Ubuntu is switching to gnome 3 in the near future
This is also correct
>Pointless to use ubuntu now.
This is wrong.

16.04LTS will be supported for another 4 years - if you install now you don't have to upgrade for 4 years.
>bbut the interface will be different upon upgrading
So?

You might of made some sense if you said Ubuntu Gnome

But using vanilla Ubuntu is pretty stupid right now. Just use gnome version to prepare for future.

Why do you need to 'prepare for the future'?
16.04LTS will still be supported for 12 months after the release of 20.04LTS

not OP but games are pretty much the only area I really don't care about free software shit

Truth is OP is right and we all know it. Linux distros out of the box are usually fine but sooner or later you run into stuff that simply doesn't work for stupid reasons and you have to fix it.

It's worth the trouble to me because of all the pros using Linux distros bring to the table but we can't lie and say it's flawless and he's retarded for not knowing how to fix his problem. Something simple like opening a link should work fine but it doesn't.

same reason you shouldnt use Windows 7 now.
At some point (2020) you need an alternative.

Why get use to your workflow and productivity, just to have it all swept away for something brand new. Its stupid.

>using a server OS that emulates text stream technology from the 1970's
>...
>on a desktop computer
>..
>in 2017

Spend less time on reddit and dont let autists/sjw meme you with that freetard bull shit lmfao.

GNOME, to actually answer your question.

OpenBSD faggot

>server OS
he wasn't talking about FreeBSD
>emulates text stream technology from the 1970's
that's actually pretty cool
>Spend less time on reddit
Agree!

An extremely shitty system that requires you to have separate outputs for each context. Use GPU virtualization instead.

>Why is there always a problem with a shitton of abstract instructions given to transformed sand

That sentence applies to Windows too. Doesn't apply usually at Mac because nobody does anything else than web browsing in it.

Linux Mint works perfectly out of the box, stop using Arch if you're not a hobbyist.

NVIDIA is the Apple of Video cards, if all you wanna do is gaym then I have no fucking idea why you're trying to use Linux.

CUDA

just use ubuntu if you need proprietary driver support?

Because that's literally how technology works...
Do you think GNOME3 is it? Once the move is done the UI will stabilise *forever*?

No matter what OS you use in fact no matter what no computer or even technology you use, it will eventually be outmoded.
Get used to it.

Linux isn't the one that's choosing to not support something you fags. It has drivers from Nvidia, AMD and Intel. It also has Nouveau which is reverse-engineered from Nvidia by a third party.

It has every driver it can get, if the manufacturers don't put out better drivers then it's their fault alone. Only Nouveau could be blamed for being bad since it's an outsider but even that is pretty good considering how hard it is to reverse-engineer it in the first place. Why does this even need to be explained? Do you know nothing?

Both Linux and Windows run CUDA

>the most sensible, usable, best looking OS
It's insane bloated garbage and ugly as fuck. Funny as this is supposed to be the best from micro&soft but still a pain in ass.

2020 will be d-day for many Windows users. It's either suck Microsoft's cock or learn Linux.

I feel sorry for those who need software which is Windows only. Some people have no choice, unfortunately.

>Some people have no choice
Most people don't give a shit. Desktop will die so it doesn't matter anymore.

if it sucks that bad WHY THE FUCK would you be using it for that long. Wait don't tell me, you installed it according to wiki, most everything worked fine and as soon as you hit a wall, you throw your hands up and go "THIS SUCKS" hop back on wangblows and stop bitching.

>Desktop will die
Will you stop this meme? I hear it since the appearence of Nokia smartphones.

>Pointless to use ubuntu now.
Ubuntu genkernel is still my crush and snap can be a good thing.

Nokia couldn't run facebook that well.

>Nokia couldn't run facebook that well
we had ICQ back then and Symbian was rocking it like a true desktop

>Desktop will die so it doesn't matter anymore.

Explain? I can't ever see desktops disappearing. They are massively superior for productivity than any portable device.

Well there's your problem. You're trying to use a Linux distro for normie shit.

>Steam
>Forcing DRM on yourself
Found your problem, use GOG or something else.

>developers of my manchild application fucked up link opening because it is inconceivable to them that someone could be using something besides completely stock Ubuntu
>blame Linux, gnome, and arch devs
?

I don't see the problem. Steam works flawlessly on Ubuntu, Mint and Debian. And Solus, for what it's worth. I feel OP is slightly retarded.

>for productivity
Humans don't want to be """productive""" 24/7. For shitposting and gayming it's good enough for the masses.

>we had ICQ
We have it now too. Literally who cares...
>Symbian was rocking it like a true desktop
Not really. Even 5800 was kinda meh.

>use AMD
>still sucks ass

Not necessarily anymore for the next mesa release:
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-1730-radeonsi&num=1
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-radeonsi-384&num=1

In short mesa for AMD (at least for GCN cards) is faster, sometimes even twice as fast as the proprietary closed implementation and now fairs well against nvidia. Now the only thing necessary is to clean and mainline the DAL/DC patches and it's golden. Also remember that with gallium you can run d3d9 games on wine with the same performance as windows using gallium nine.

>I feel OP is slightly retarded.
>implying it isn't just a b8

#1. Sup Forums is not your tech support, be more honest with your posts.

It's not the distribution's fault that you don't know what you're doing. There are only a dozen-dozens of regular contributors to most linux distributions-- probably only one or two people who actively contribute to the packages that are giving you issues, and nearly all of these people do it entirely in their free time. You are owed absolutely nothing.

In earnest, the people who work on distributions don't like to hear that you're having issues, but they're mostly numb to all the noise that comes from inexperienced users that skim rather than read, lack any form of politeness, and don't attempt to really understand their issues.

Let me say it again: In spite of the fact that a lot of unappreciative new users annoy the absolute fuck out of contributors, day-in and day-out, they still deal with you because their desire to make a quality distribution is so strong that they spend hours and hours coaxing information out of you. They didn't fuck up your Steam on purpose, it just ended up that way.

If you have any modicum of appreciation for the time that contributors spend on making usable software for free, you will file a bug, you will follow the directions to provide adequate information (logs, configurations, etc), and you will check back and reply on the ticket in a timely manner.

>5800 was kinda meh
it was cute as hell though

Been on ubuntu for the last couple months. I've got a skype interview this week.

Guess what operating system doesn't recognise a simple USB microphone. Silence in both skype and vocaroo.

I could spend all night fighting with pulseaudio and a load of other shite (even though the mic registers in sound settings with levels). But frankly I'd rather be preparing for the interview or doing other productive stuff.

I may have to dig out my Windows harddrive just to take a job interview. At least I know it'll work.

>At least I know it'll work.
For awhile.

I'll help you out.

can you post `lsusb -vvv` output to a pastebin? (obviously, with the USB microphone plugged in)

>For shitposting and gayming it's good enough for the masses
Every normie that I know doesn't like that his tabs are constantly getting reloaded. Also, touchscreens are just uncomfortable for any presice inputs that a lot of games demand.
>file a bug
don't really like your post but I do agree with you on this thing. There is just no culture for properly documenting all complains. How the fuck devs should know that there is this error when you do some random shit. It's not like they spy on you...like somebody does.

Wait I think I found it with more digging.

It was this little "set as fallback" button which doesn't actually set the mic as fallback but sets it as primary sound input...

Thanks for the offer though. I was just about to post in stupid questions thread which would've been more appropriate (as you can see that it was indeed a stupid question)

>Taimur Assad
POO IN LOOO

you don't even hide it fucking shills

With Ryzen CPUs you can runs your games on windows VMs with GPU passthrough. Nearly as good as running them natively on windows.

Freedom ain't free. The tree of software libertation must be littered with bugs and poor driver support. Linus Torvalds aka "Fuck you nvidia guy" is not my programmer. He is a shill for non free software and probably a CIA nigger as well. GNU and Freedom not proprietary blob ok. Install Gentoo

Yeah that's a pretty dumb pulse default, there's no reason that users would expect pulse to not switch to an actual input source instead of a loopback one.

>skype interview
too bad that people still use that shit. I have to keep it installed because a lot of my clients just don't know how to use anything else.
Damn...I want to use only free software so hard! It's a shame that it's still so obscure. Where are authistic shills for free software? We really need more of them.

Yes I was surprised too. I'd rather it be done over the phone. Especially when only given 3 days notice.

Luckily I'm on flex time and can afford to drive home from the office to use my PC.

On the other hand the harder they make it the less competition I have.

I just use skype exclusively on my phone, I don't think anyone has ever really noticed.

been using winblows + elementary os combo for a while.
Pretty comfy

am I the only one on this channel who installed linux with no problems, and now use it comfortably day to do with little to no issue?

how hard is it for people to read instructions and learn the architecture of their operating system? Linux *or* Windows?

Linux is always shit unless you autistically adhere to the "perfect" (old, generic) hardware and be a stereotypical Sup Forums neckbeard running i3 and doing everything in terminal except using mpv to watch your cartoons and some obscure firefox fork riced to look like a terminal to shitpost.. Trying to do anything that windows / macos users take for granted like run Adobe apps, gaymen, enjoy your dumpster fire open sores alternatives.

everything that you've described is comfy as fuck.
>Adobe apps
really hate these fuckers. Their software is mostly God-tier, though

I considered it but it wouldn't be stable enough. The wifi at my house is shit and I'd have to wire in speakers or hold it to my ear or something.

I wouldn't trust it.

>read instructions and learn the architecture of their operating system?

I spend 8 hours a day gainfully employed reading instructions, architecture, and poorly written documentation for open source and commercial software and frameworks alike. Half my time is spent doing this and hunting down problems or bugs or figuring out why something doesn't work. The other half is writing code.

Why the fuck would I want to spend my spare time reading poorly written documentation for open source shit that's almost always out of date or inapplicable to me?

>Cant click links on Steam
Steam's Linkfilter will sometimes force you through a server that is clogged or literally down, meaning you can't click links in the Steam interface that aren't whitelisted IE Steamcommunity or the store.

Stop using Steam it's fucking shit

>Why the fuck would I want to spend my spare time reading poorly written documentation for open source shit that's almost always out of date or inapplicable to me?
Because you want to help people that are trying to make a world a better place?

If you had no issues, it's probably more about luck with your particular hardware configuration than anything else.

>ultimate
BAHAHAHAHAHAHHA meme blast processing edition