RIP manjaro-openrc

manjaro-openrc is dead.
forum.manjaro.org/t/manjaro-openrc-will-be-discontinued/28387

The maintainer has decided to stop work on it and switch efforts to a new fork of Arch, Artix Linux. Artix is Arch without systemd and with packages requiring systemd either excluded or altered, so the idea is basically the same as manjaro-openrc, except it's pure Arch instead of the streamlined manjaro experience.

Hopefully Artix will pull away some Arch users and gain enough momentum to help deflate the systemd monopoly. In the meantime, it's unfortunate for existing manjaro-openrc users or anyone else looking for an easy out-of-box systemd-free distro, as manjaro-openrc was probably the friendliest option.

Other urls found in this thread:

systemd-free.org/news.php#170727
ix.io/yqr
systemd-free.org/migrate.php
twitter.com/AnonBabble

nice

but the sad thing is part of why I run linux is to learn things that might be useful when using linux that isn't my machine... meaning probably dealing with systemd...

so ill likely stick to arch

Systemd is great, fuck the autists.

Systemd is shady as fuck.
Why all major distros implemented it so fast?
Why is it founded by corporation that has close ties to US goverment?
Was there really a need for this software?

>Why all major distros implemented it so fast?

because it's a major development backed by redhat and it was better than the alternatives and the predecessors while making life far easier for distro maintainers as everything became far more homogeneous? it's not a grand conspiracy, init systems were shit for years and sorely needed a replacement

the question you should be asking is why is systemd becoming a hard dependency of everything (like the gnome desktop)

if you want to get the hang of linux as it is used in the industry, then you should be using centos, or at least fedora (centos being free rhel, and fedora basically being rhel beta)

Will Atrix be as easy as Manjaro?

problem is, centos isnt going to have the many packages arch has

They all abandon the systemd sinking ship

>major bug in a "stable" release literally due to bad syntax practices

nobody's abandoning anything, they just made another arch fork

gotta fight for freedom !

if we dont support our fork bros they will fade away

hopefully devuan isnt next ... i just made the switch

WHY ARE THEY USING ILLUMINATI SYMBOLISM? RREEEEEEE

The Flower of Life is the most common pattern seen in crop circles. This is all part of a coming Great Deception. The Alien Deception runs deeper than Aliens simply claiming to have seeded life on earth. The evidence for this is found burned into the Temple of Osiris, the Flower of Life. The latest theory in quantum physics about our "holographic Reality" supports and is basically Identical to the claims and sayings that go with the Flower of Life. The Flower of Life is also seen in the majority of crop circles. The end game to the Alien deception is "Aliens" claiming they created the program that forms our reality and the latest theory in quantum physics will seem to support this idea if you do not know that the program behind all Reality is the Torah/Law "The Worlds were framed by the Word of God". The Bible has said this all along but we didn't understand the full meaning until now

no, it's based on pure Arch without the helpful Manjaro tools. it will be the same experience as a standard Arch installation sans systemd.

Only reason I still use arch and not a systemd-free fork is because arch-anywhere only supports stock arch.

I think you just want to tell people that you use Arch

Word salad and bullshit.

It's basically that arch with openrc, but with the addition of the manjaro Openrc team

Anyway to download Artix, or should I just use Arch-OpenRC?
I'm getting an SSD tomorrow for my laptop so will need to reinstall an OS.

systemd-free.org/news.php#170727

Arch openrc IS Artix now. You can migrate from either arch, arch with openrc or manjaro/manjaro-openrc with the guides, or you can download the iso.

rhel/centos/fedora will also have different pacakges, which will be more relevant to commercial use

>Arch without systemd
ix.io/yqr

That gives you a crappy ubunchu install with systemd.

>Abnormal RAM usage
>Tons of bloatware
>Unsecure
>Full of backdoors
>>Systemd is great
I switched my Arch install to OpenRC about one year ago, now it's the first thing I do to every new install on new computers (I never destroyed an Arch install before)
No fucking regrets

where did you find the info for switching to openRC? I tried doing it a couple days ago but I didn't find many interesting things

apt install sysvinit openrc

itll conflict and ask to remove systemd and sysrc or what ever u use

when prompted use the devs rc config file to replace yours

reboot

Another arch fork, another arch fork that's simply arch without shitstemd? Wow, I'm not against forks, but..

due to the pervasive, cancerous nature of systemd, a fork is the only way.

Agreed, but aren't there quite a few already?

>archfaggots relying on some unknown monkey for their system's security
Who would be this stupid?

RIB SWEET BRINCE

>Arch without systemd
archbang

Awesome!

systemd-free.org/migrate.php

>Was there really a need for this software?
This is what gets me. Systemd is a huge not invented here project to replace a perfectly good init system with an overcomplicated one.