What's the programming equivalent of a deadlift?

What's the programming equivalent of a deadlift?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mkf7HP2-pr8
youtube.com/watch?v=eb4rKCM3BKM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Programming in C

Fixing heavy technical debt.

Programming in Binary.

No that's a clean and jerk

easy as fuck and works out majority of your body nicely

swift, c#

Disassembling a dll your project links to learn why it's crashing.

implementing a completely new programing language in itself, then compiling it by hand, then using the hand compiled version to compile the programmed version and having that work

learning category theory

Writing a DSL you'll only need once.

"Ah yes i have a programming class, yes, im studying videogame development and design"

Assembling by hand

Installing gentoo

Finally watching the video of Mark about privacy?

The first thought that came to mind was working in something without anything.

BTW, I don't think he was sweating because of privacy concerns.

I thank the interviewers for such good questions though.

Richard
fbfounder.Native

P.S.It's ok Mark to mention me. It's ok dude.

"...the guy who created this..."

Richard
fbfounder.Native

bootstrapping your own compiler

underrated

>easy as fuck

what

it's the easiest movement
what is there to not get you dumb bitch

that's the eliptical imo

SAP

At the end of the day it gets the job done but GOD FUCKING DAMN IT IS IT EVER SO ANNOYING

Deadline.

Writing a bootloader by yourself in assembly.

Makes me almost pass out desu senpai
I've lost vision before

>in terms of programming languages what is comparable to one of the most brutal exercises you can inflict upon your body

Java, of course

Anything slightly complicated in SQL

Is that even a thing?

I mean, if I wanted to, could I?

I thought the closest you could get to the metal was with assembly

Sure. Look up the opcodes and calculate offsets manually. Typically one assembler instruction, depending on the argument types(memory or register, etc) can be translated to multiple opcodes.

stop trying to lift way above your capabilities you glow in the dark CIA Nigger.

Was only lifting something like 130lbs.

that's above your capabilities

>load can get really heavy
enterprise java

Breathe out forcefully but not too fast when you're almost all the way up. Your blood pressure dropped too quickly. This helps it come down more slowly. Obviously hold your breath before you start the lift, brace core.

That sounded pretty gay desu senpai.

writing "Hello World" in python

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Come back to Sup Forums when you can lyft 2p8s

being proud of anything you wrote in php

disassembling a dll

getting a girlfriend

underrated
also, fuck you :(

Writing YACC on YACC

Assembly

Everyone's gotta start somewhere. No need to be a cock.

t. 5pl8

>5 plates
That is 220kg. Very, very heavy!

01101011 01101001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 01110010 01110011 01100101 01101100 01100110 00100000

Looking at schematics of a board

Programming alone and not getting paid for it.

Don't listen to any of these guys.
Programing in machine code is where it's at.

I don't know. But I'm pretty sure C++ is crossfit.

Some obscure benchmarking program

>tfw doing TDD in ANSI C11 and cross-compile CI/CD with nightly builds deploying to a production server

Assembly. Or binary. I've only coded in binary once when designing a 16 bit processor for an ECE class.

Enterprise java is squats. As in squatting in the designated shitting street and taking a poo.

Writing a test

this x100 reps

ternary operators

Emptying your piss bottles.

>What's the programming equivalent of a deadlift?

Probably having sex.

but deadlifts are easy once you know proper form

When deadlifts are easy, you add more weight till they are not.

Java

>tfw white male powerlifter

This is nearly as bad as the girl that gets her legs snapped by the cable press.

Lower down to 100

Not cable, just standard: youtube.com/watch?v=mkf7HP2-pr8

Is my memory faulty? This IS the infamous video, or is it another? Same thing, but with a cable.

fucking take that disturbing shit to /gif/
goddamm

is deadlift just a masochistic exercise or does it actually do something?
i need to know before deciding on a programming equivalent

Are you fronting like a 2pl deadlift is something to be proud of?
This. Everyone is on their own path.
220kg is mediocre weight for a competitive Deadlift. The really strong guys lift like double that, or a bit more.

strength, but it will not make you look better so you will not fuck bitches by doing it
it's also done wrong by noobs most if the time

Deadlifts are some of the best compound exercises (probably second best of all, behind squats). Deadlifts train multiple large muscle groups, shown in pic related.

Deadlift also require perfect form, otherwise you are going to hurt yourself really, really bad.

installing gentoo

got a similar pic for squats?

Pic.

Also vid: youtube.com/watch?v=eb4rKCM3BKM

Writing a MIPS assembler and simulater in Java. It sounds hard, and you need a very good understanding of the underlying ISA and how a two pass assembler works, but the rest is a piece of cake. Deadlifts look and sound impressive, and are of great value to your workout, but they're easier than they look.

Executing by hand.

SIMD assembly of crazy functions (e.g. motion compensation or DCTs). Pure fucking crack cocaine. Listening to the same nonsensical track on repeat for days at a time. Sweating buckets even though the AC is on full blast. Never being sure whether you're going to be able to finish the function and/or make it faster than C. Skimping the fuck out of registers to make the function use 7 general purpose registers and no more than 8 xmms because 32 bits. Looking at Agner Fog's latency/throughput listings. Being constantly tempted to use the stack but never doing it because push/pop is fucking slow.
And at the end all you can do is bask in the shadow of the magnificence of the code you just wrote. Looking at it for hours and enjoying every clever trick you did. Measuring how many decicycles your code took and how much the C function costs over and over again. And seeing happy users after you speed up your code by 20% at a time, overall.
After being hopelessly addicted I can't program and not think about how I'll SIMD the code later. The main bottleneck behind writing such code as fast as possible is finding good tracks to listen to. And fidning out which fucked up piece of code is causing a bottleneck and hoping it'll be fucked up enough to enjoy thinking about and writing.
Such is the life and the daily trials and tribulations of the SIMD junkie. Most of us do it for free. Those who get paid would still do it for free anyway. Its what made/makes x264, x265, libvpx, libaom, libass and ffmpeg so awesome.

All these retards who think learning the syntax of a language makes you a programmer.
Any code monky dumb cunt can "code". Come to me in 10 years...

Malcolm Gladwell has popularized the idea, although he concentrates on 10,000 hours, not 10 years. Henri Cartier-Bresson (1908-2004) had another metric: "Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." (He didn't anticipate that with digital cameras, some people can reach that mark in a week.) True expertise may take a lifetime: Samuel Johnson (1709-1784) said "Excellence in any department can be attained only by the labor of a lifetime; it is not to be purchased at a lesser price." And Chaucer (1340-1400) complained "the lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne." Hippocrates (c. 400BC) is known for the excerpt "ars longa, vita brevis", which is part of the longer quotation "Ars longa, vita brevis, occasio praeceps, experimentum periculosum, iudicium difficile", which in English renders as "Life is short, [the] craft long, opportunity fleeting, experiment treacherous, judgment difficult." Of course, no single number can be the final answer: it doesn't seem reasonable to assume that all skills (e.g., programming, chess playing, checkers playing, and music playing) could all require exactly the same amount of time to master, nor that all people will take exactly the same amount of time. As Prof. K. Anders Ericsson puts it, "In most domains it's remarkable how much time even the most talented individuals need in order to reach the highest levels of performance. The 10,000 hour number just gives you a sense that we're talking years of 10 to 20 hours a week which those who some people would argue are the most innately talented individuals still need to get to the highest level."

Yep you can do that. All you need is a sheet with info on the target architecture and a hex editor. I highly would not recommend making ELF or other modern binary formats by hand, though.

Walk into any bookstore, and you'll see how to Teach Yourself Java in 24 Hours alongside endless variations offering to teach C, SQL, Ruby, Algorithms, and so on in a few days or hours. The Amazon advanced search for [title: teach, yourself, hours, since: 2000 and found 512 such books. Of the top ten, nine are programming books (the other is about bookkeeping). Similar results come from replacing "teach yourself" with "learn" or "hours" with "days."
The conclusion is that either people are in a big rush to learn about programming, or that programming is somehow fabulously easier to learn than anything else. Felleisen et al. give a nod to this trend in their book How to Design Programs, when they say "Bad programming is easy. Idiots can learn it in 21 days, even if they are dummies." The Abtruse Goose comic also had their take.

Teach Yourself: In 24 hours you won't have time to write several significant programs, and learn from your successes and failures with them. You won't have time to work with an experienced programmer and understand what it is like to live in a C++ environment. In short, you won't have time to learn much. So the book can only be talking about a superficial familiarity, not a deep understanding. As Alexander Pope said, a little learning is a dangerous thing.
C++: In 24 hours you might be able to learn some of the syntax of C++ (if you already know another language), but you couldn't learn much about how to use the language. In short, if you were, say, a Basic programmer, you could learn to write programs in the style of Basic using C++ syntax, but you couldn't learn what C++ is actually good (and bad) for. So what's the point? Alan Perlis once said: "A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming, is not worth knowing". One possible point is that you have to learn a tiny bit of C++ (or more likely, something like JavaScript or Processing) because you need to interface with an existing tool to accomplish a specific task. But then you're not learning how to program; you're learning to accomplish that task.
in 24 Hours: Unfortunately, this is not enough, as the next section shows.

massively underrated

So You Want to be a Programmer

Get interested in programming, and do some because it is fun. Make sure that it keeps being enough fun so that you will be willing to put in your ten years/10,000 hours.
Program.
The best kind of learning is learning by doing. To put it more technically, "the maximal level of performance for individuals in a given domain is not attained automatically as a function of extended experience, but the level of performance can be increased even by highly experienced individuals as a result of deliberate efforts to improve." "the most effective learning requires a well-defined task with an appropriate difficulty level for the particular individual, informative feedback, and opportunities for repetition.

In any case, book learning alone won't be enough.
Work on projects with other programmers. Be the best programmer on some projects; be the worst on some others. When you're the best, you get to test your abilities to lead a project, and to inspire others with your vision. When you're the worst, you learn what the masters do, and you learn what they don't like to do (because they make you do it for them).
Work on projects after other programmers. Understand a program written by someone else. See what it takes to understand and fix it when the original programmers are not around.
Include one language that emphasizes class abstractions (like Java or C++), one that emphasizes functional abstraction (like Lisp or ML or Haskell), one that supports syntactic abstraction (like Lisp), one that supports declarative specifications (like Prolog or C++ templates), and one that emphasizes parallelism (like Clojure or Go).

Get involved in a language standardization effort. It could be the ANSI C++ committee, or it could be deciding if your local coding style will have 2 or 4 space indentation levels. Either way, you learn about what other people like in a language, how deeply they feel so, and perhaps even a little about why they feel so.

>As you approach the top weaken your core by exhaling
How's that wheelchair treating you buddy?

No, a clean and jerk would be writing ASM for your processor.

Assembly uses an assembler to turn it into machine code. A hex editor can modify machine code pretty easily.

>What's the programming equivalent of a deadlift?
Installing Wi-Fi drivers on Loonix.

For broadcom

it's not that heavy, many recreational fitness people lift more than that

of course you must still learn the proper technique and go up very slowly you fucking retards or you'll cripple yourself for life

Eh, valid point. Will see if starting at lockout gives me enough time to slow down the drop in pressure.

I guess I am just a dyel lift-let. How long would it take a fat weakling to gain enough to lift 5 plates?

can u explain why?

comfy

>Binary
You mean assembly, and one of the things they made us do as computer engies at my school was write a recursive fibbonacci function in assembly with memoization. Kind of like a deadlift, except harder.

>He says, as he posts a thumbnail

writing a compiler

Making a videogame from scratch.

That's the joke you stupid mongoloid