Post your VPS servers

Its time to share your VPS servers. I'll start first.

>Ramnode
>Openvz 128mb $15/yr
>Debian 8
>Static websites, Wordpress, DNS
>Lighttpd with lighty vhost mod
>Mysql, php5, maradns

Screenshot has my memory usage. Don't believe me? Check Lowendbox

Other urls found in this thread:

speedtest-sfo1.digitalocean.com/
lowendbox.com/?s=gigabit&searchsubmit=Find
synology.com/en-us/products/DS1517
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

vultr:
$2.5/month Sydney (512mb, 500gb)
I don't think they sell it anymore but for the price a server like that here is oz is crazy cheap.
It doesn't do much for now, but it's got wp installed on it for when I move my site over. I also use it to transfer files when I need it.

Digital ocean: I was using this before vultr, works fine but I moved to vultr for 1/2 the cost and a local server. Vultr I think copied the GUI for DO, they look and interact the same.

Cloutatcost: the gravy train has ended would not recommend but I got my moneys worth out of it. I used a few of them in one for for relay and seedbox.

ovh
£2.50/mo (2GB / 10GB)
Not a lot of disk space, but can easily add more and I'm just using it for a simple website to host my projects, great price for that.

KVM or Openvz? I almost went with Vultr. Two years ago I had ramnode but left for Cloudatcost. By far, the worst VPS I have ever used and I wasted hundreds thinking their "lifetime" would save me money in the long run. Ended up going back to ramnode. God have I missed them.. Never tried Digital Ocean before. I really had a hard time trying a different VPS after the cloudatcost experience..

How is service and uptime with ovh? Almost sounds too good to be true. Sorry, I'm coming from a bad experience with cloudatcost.

>virtual private server server

>How is service and uptime with ovh?
It's unmanaged so they won't help with any sort of software issues, but if it's a problem with the server itself they are quick to respond. I've been using them for a few months and haven't had any downtime other than when I restart the server myself. Speeds are great and there's no hard bandwidth cap (although I imagine if you start trying to transfer 100s of TB they'll tell you to stop).

>KVM or Openvz?
I honestly dont know the difference, still learning family.

Cloud at cost are now asking $9/month to keep all the servers alive, I just paid it. I hope its not a bait and switch, either way its worth it for me. I pulled 8TB in a few moths doing tor/seedboxing and they dont seem to care.

DO are great, cloud at cost is nothing compared to them, it was a bit shady to start with but it was 'cheap' so we all fell for the meme.

My vultr has been online since I started it 120 days or something, DO was the same but I killed it off to save a few dollars. Cloudatcost goes down once a week usually, ive had the hdd fail once so I had to reinstall.

Whats the point vs just having your own NAS and connecting to a VPN service as needed?

A VPS is not a VPN

A NAS is for local storage
A VPS is a server in the 'cloud', you host websites / services here not on your home connection.
A VPN is a internet tunnel, you can run a VPN on a VPS if you want.

I also have cloud at cost and managed to seed something to like 2tb and they don't care. I keep hearing people say that there is this $9 fee but I have not gotten an email about it or been charged it, do you have any actual proof of it?

Any idea what sort of VPS I should look at if I want to run an OpenVPN server and a SOCKS5 proxy server?

BuyVM $15/y 128MB/30GB/500GB, primary dns
FtpIt $30/y 2GB/30GB/1TB, python/ruby/php/.net core app dev
VPSDime $15/y 512MB/30GB/1TB, node dev + IRC BNC
VPSDime $7/y 768MB/7GB/2TB, static sites
RAMNode $15/y 256MB/120GB/1TB, backups
AlphaRacks, $18/y 2GB/40GB/3TB, piece of crap testbox
WootHosting, $21/yr 1GB/40GB/3TB KVM, app production hosting

Would recommend any yexcept alpharacks

KVM for good quality, OpenVZ if you want cheap don't care about overselling/sometimes slow performance

I have a vps with cloudatcost. When you first set it up it takes a little bit of wrestling to get one with an actual working connection, but once you set up a working one it should just continue to work. Mine has about 4 months uptime at this point (ignoring when I rebooted to do a kernel update).

I'm aware.

But again,

Why not just do that?

Can't say why the guy you responded to doesn't, but I like having a vps "in the cloud" because I can access it anywhere without having to deal with dynamic ips and dynamic dns services. If I ran my baikal calendar server on my home server then I would have to set it up to have a dynamic dns service and to use that url to go to the local ip when I was on the local network which just sounds very complicated.

>do you have any actual proof of it?
photo

anything with the bandwidth you want, cpu isn't a huge requirement.

I have slow upload and a dynamic IP, I dont want to host my website at home.

So pose the question because I have synology NAS, which lets me use their synology.me domain, so to connect to my server from outside what I do is use that domain (you name your subdomain).

Also asus routers allow you to use an asuscomm.com address so you can go to: ______.asuscomm.com and it always goes to your router, since your router updates asus when your ip changes.

Then you can use your $ instead on an anonymizing VPN which you cant run yourself

forgot pic

>anything with the bandwidth you want, cpu isn't a huge requirement.
well i have 1Gbps fiber, so ideally i'd like to see at least 300mbps throughput, more if possible, but I know VPS's aren't known for amazing speeds.

Ah ok slow upload can be valid reason, though if your ISP has a better package you could shift your $ to that instead.

Sure you can that's what dynamic dns is. The problem is that when you are on your home network and try to connect to that domain it's not going to work because you can't connect to your own external IP. So if your phone's calendar is set up to sync to mynas.synology.me or home.asuscomm.com it won't work when you are at home on your wifi unless you setup a local dns server to redirect that url to the LAN IP of your server. Overall seems like a hassle, especially since residential lines aren't super reliable anyway.

Most of them are 100mbps, some providers do speedtests for you to test out.

e.g: speedtest-sfo1.digitalocean.com/

check out the site for more info: lowendbox.com/?s=gigabit&searchsubmit=Find

If you are hosting cat photos for you family go ahead host it at home. But if you are moving big data forget about it, one of my sites pushed 2.5TB+ last month, even if I could do it I would rather not have that on my home IP.

I actually love that Asus has a free built in DDNS. Other free shit like NO-IP requires monthly logon +captcha which is annoying as shit.

Not bad. I may have to check them for that price.
I thought about paying the $9 but I couldn't justify that after all the downtime I've experienced with them. I could say the same as far as downtime goes two or three times a week and I also had to reinstall several times. Its pathetic in my opinion.. Waste of my time.

I get emails daily and it is posted on their blog or announcement page from June. The funny thing is I can still login, access, and reboot the servers. They even stated that they would never delete or remove your servers. The only thing I could see happen from this is that they could hold you liable for not paying if you catch on.

Same here. Over the 14 months or so I've been running it, I had a couple hours of outage due to datacenter issues, but other than that it's been more than solid. The lack of drive space does suck, but the 10TB traffic limit and proper Xeon E5v4 cores do make up for it.

>Most of them are 100mbps, some providers do speedtests for you to test out.
Well not bad i guess, is there any significant overhead (if any) from OpenVPN?
I assume my client will be doing the encryption itself, and the VPN server will only be routing the traffic through that IP not actually doing any hard work.

Using Private Internet access I can get ~200-250mbps using AES128 so I assume I would get similar with this, but the benefit of running my own VPN instead of relying on a large VPN provider.

Nice setup. VPSDime looks interesting price wise. I may have to check them. Yeah I did some research off KVM vs OpenVZ. I personally have yet to see any performance issues from OpenVZ. If I do, then I may switch to KVM.

Yes, however, how is your speeds and connectivity? While my uptime was decent, the connection was still flaking out and slow. Speed tests were mix of 5Mbps and sometimes over 150Mbps.

Not VPS but cheap as one.
OVH Kimsufi
4 Cores Atom, 2GB ram, 500GB HDD, 100mbps unmetered
£4.99/mo

4 threads, not cores.
2/4

Yes, dynmatic dns. Problem with this is if someone has your ___.asuscomm.com or synology.me domain, they could possibly ping you and get your home IP exposed. This is why I personally stick with cloud VPS services. Also, a VPN doesn't cost a lot of money today little as $4. I use NordVPN for everything that I need to anonymize.

I guess I'm lucky time warner doesn't give a fuck how many TB's are moved.

I have 300 down 20mbps up so I can easily stream from my NAS to anywhere, but of course, thats just for me, nut multiusers pulling many streams

The connection is sometimes a little slow but most of the time I get around 300mbps up and down.

This is true, which is why I don't hand out that domain name.

For anything that requires outside connection yeah, use that VPN. I was considering Nord for torrents, is it very slow? I can deal with kinda slow.. fastest ive seen a group of torrents go is something like 25MBps (bytes not bit)

But it im using a usb drive it usually gets throttled by the drive speed and fucks up anyways, not stable past 12MBps

Damn must been nice to see 300Mbps. I have yet to see that kind of speed from them.
To be honest with you, NordVPN P2P is pretty damn good. I came from PIA and averaged 3-6Mbps per file. With NordVPN, I average close to 8-10Mbps per file. Also, the plus side on NordVPN is that they are outside of US Jurisdiction laws which is another reason I left PIA.

Regarding the unmetered bandwidth: the TOS state that you're slowed to 1 Mbps if you use more than 10 TB in a month. Which is a hell of a lot for the price.

I'm currently facing decision paralysis between OVH and ScaleWay.

>I was considering Nord for torrents, is it very slow?
I use Private internet access because they also offer a SOCKS5 proxy which i can set my torrent client to use, so all my other connections (gaming, youtube, etc) go through my normal IP, but my torrents go through a proxy server in the netherlands and get a different IP.
It's not encrypted, but if all you're doing is torrents, you don't necessarily need encryption, changing IP's is enough.

I've seen 80MB/s on a single torrent through the PIA SOCKS5 proxy.

Is linodes $5 option good? Looking to run bots on it 24/7 and store the data.

That's not bad, don't mind the wait for the peace of mind.

How hard is it to set things up so that they use different IP's? I mean, I heard you need a seperate NIC to send some programs through the VPN/proxy, and some just out normally..?

Asking for both windows and linux.

One thing ive been wanting to do is set things up so that I can VM an extra secured linux running through a VPN, then the host linux can be doing normal tasks without VPN

Here is the problem with this though.. When I had PIA, I did the exact same thing. I still got the letters from my ISP using SOCKS5 proxy. If you want to be truely secure and private while downloading over P2P, you need to use either NordVPN or PIA VPN software. Both offer the ability to setup a killswitch if you lose connectivity or your DNS leaks. After all the research and testing out both sides, I ended up staying with NordVPN. Here is my setup

>Internet
>Firewall (pfsense)
>DNS.Watch
>Nord VPN (kill switch enabled)
>uTorrent (SOCKS5 Proxy, privacy tweaked)
>Averaging 8-10Mbps per file
Never got a letter since I moved

what sort of bots?

Well with Deluge anyway you just go to the Proxy settings and tell it to connect through a SOCKS5 proxy and then enter your log in info and the PIA proxy server address.

Deluge itself routes the traffic through the SOCKS server itself, as long as the SOCKS server stays up, your IP as seen by the torrent network will be the SOCKS IP, not your personal IP.

See I get letters when I don't use anything at all, but SOCKS proxy is enough that no letters are sent.
My ISP even said if I get one more notice they'll cancel my service. Started using the SOCKS proxy and i've been seeding over 1TB daily for about 2 years on it.

Is linodes $5 option good? Looking to run bots on it 24/7 and store the data.

They get information from the web, store it, then I want to build a web app to organize the information.

Oh right since you're proxying

I think nord also has proxy's

I dunno socks5 what that means if its just speed or what.

But with openvpn I think theres no way to split certain processes to use openvpn, or not?

Correct, with a VPN you're throwing all your traffic through that tunnel.

Exactly what he said here The VPN provider has guides on going through this process.

Lucky. In my situation, my ISP contacted the police and then submitted a subpoena to PIA. Thankfully, PIA never responded back and the case was dropped. Still paranoid enough, I researched and switched providers. Overall, both are great VPN services.

Though I guess I can connect to openvpn within the VM and it should only be in the VM?.....

But if I'm running linux host, VPN'd and say windows for gaming in a VM, and want no vpn, I think the only way to run that concurrenty, is so have a pcie nic passthrough'd to the VM

Yeah, that should work.

The higher end Intel Dual port NICs generally have the ability to pass through the NICs independently. And they also tend to have hardware offloading for certain things.

Yes. Here is how it should be

>Host
>VM
>Debian or another trusted OS
>OpenVPN
>SOCKS5 Proxy
>utorrent + firefox

The problem with OpenVPN is that I don't see the option for a killswitch which I find very important to have where if your connection should failover, it doesn't leak your IP while still downloading or surfing websites.

I guess you could go turbo autist and run two VM's, both running openvpn with nord, but set one to route through the other so both vpns have to fail.

>The higher end Intel Dual port NICs generally have the ability to pass through the NICs independently.
Interesting.

Though the single port one I see on amazon is like $25 so I may just KISS.

I heard tho dual port intel mobos (integrated on the mobo, not dual port pcie card) arent like that and they are a single pcie group for pcie passthrough. I could be wrong tho

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you torrent with a proxy , no encryption, and the packets are sniffed (by isp, or a torrent peer) your original IP is totally in the open, which is why openvpn is necessary.

I was hoping someone else was triggered by this.

On the nicer cards you can get multiple virtual NICs per physical port, with VM to VM communication.

Good point. Similar to NordVPN's double VPN feature but taking advantage with it over P2P.

You are correct. It is not encrypted. Ideally, if someone was tracing you through P2P, they would get the proxy IP first, then if they traced back off that it would be your VPN IP. You can use either OpenVPN or the software provided by the VPN provider. Personally, I like to use the software by the VPN provider because of the killswitch options. I mentioned OpenVPN because it is commonly used and it is still a secure method.

Know the model # of one that does that? Would be nice incase I ever want to run multi-VM, even without VPN's involved, it can be useful to seperate the VMs with their own internal IP address within the LAN

i350-T2

>Flexible Port Partitioning (FPP) technology utilizes industry standard PCI SIG SR-IOV to efficiently divide your physical Ethernet device into multiple virtual devices, providing Quality of Service by ensuring each process is assigned to a Virtual Function and is provided a fair share of the bandwidth.
>On-chip QoS and Traffic Management
>Virtual Machine Device Queues (VMDq) is a technology designed to offload some of the switching done in the VMM (Virtual Machine Monitor) to networking hardware specifically designed for this function. VMDq drastically reduces overhead associated with I/O switching in the VMM which greatly improves throughput and overall system performance
>Single-Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV) involves natively (directly) sharing a single I/O resource between multiple virtual machines. SR-IOV provides a mechanism by which a Single Root Function (for example a single Ethernet Port) can appear to be multiple separate physical devices.

>not having home servers

lmao cucked by the virtual jew

Any serious server will have serious bandwidth requirements which your residential ISP likely wouldn't like.

my ISP limits me to ~10TB a month before they require a business service contract. I already eat up 4-5TB a month as it is, if I were hosting at home I'd likely break 10TB occasionally and my ISP would go from charging me $70/month for 1gbps, to $300 a month for 500mbps.

>not having a business connection in your apartment

Again, pathetic.

Okay but you failed to share details

What is your overall cost in this setup, including monthly electric costs?

What exactly do you host from it? As far as I can tell, you don't even use the memory or host much from it.

What are your reasons using physical over virtual?

Exactly this. Luckily for me, I only pay $80 a month for 1Gbps/200Mbps plus static IP. Thankfully I have them because I refuse to go back with Comcast.

For light hosting owning the server at home is very reasonable, and you have physical access and control over the box; same reason why Hillary Clinton had hers in a small setup company, private full control of the machine.

Fair enough. As much as I'd love to do that, it would take up space in my house which is one thing I really don't have right now. I've done the math and always ended up staying with a VPS.

$300 in server, $120 for 8tb of HDD space, $8 a month in electricity.

>I refuse to go back with Comcast
I was thinking of switching to them.

They offer 2200/2200mbps to your door via SFP+ fiber drop. Static IP. No data cap. Bypasses the majority of their hardware as well since your fiber feeds directly into an MX2020s on the backbone.
Not bad for $150 a month.

Good luck finding a VPS with even 4 gigs of RAM for $8 a month. Then consider that I have 72GB available, even if I'm not ever using it. Also the 24 logical cores.

Whoa not bad at all. If you don't mind, what is your server model?

Yeah they tried to sell me that offer. While I did like the price offer, I had to decide between speeds and reliability. I went with reliability because I just got so sick of their service.

The only server someone should ever have at home - an R710. Price for performance, there's no beating it. 72GB RAM and 2x X5650s for $300 shipped in the US.

I still haven't had a reason to need 4GB of ram because my 128mb VPS does what it needs for me.

Thanks I'll look into the R710.

Depending what you are doing a small synology NAS is plenty "server" for most people, with exception of transcoding high resolution x265 to multiple people and such, and certain not good as a "game server"

You failed to include your $80 monthly for your 1Gbps, then the cost of your server + electricity.
I'm better off with my $3/month VPS with 2GB of RAM / 10GB SSD

Or consider a synology if you want easy as pie setup, their are cheaper models depending on how many hdd's you want

synology.com/en-us/products/DS1517

I use it got backups as well so I want something easy to in an emergency I'm not struggling whatsoever.

I'd stick to the + models since those allow connection to an external expansion unit.

Building your own will be cheapest and allow you to get more for $. The synology though you're really paying for the OS in a way.

you see, heres the thing about dynamic ip and shit

my ip from my ISP time warner cable has not changed ever since i bought their service.

my router has been offline for a day because of a power outage.

what the hell is even this talk about "dynamic ip" if your ip doesn't even change?

Cause it "could" change.

but it literally never does

is there a way to forcibly change it

You said your router was offline, was your modem off?

>inb4 gay as fuck 2 in 1

I'd say the longer your modem is off the greater the chance

spdns.de

Secure, free, german ddns service. Thanks.

its a 2 in 1

>you don't already have Internet at home
I'd have Internet regardless of my server you fucking idiot.

>cost of electricity
That's what the $8 is you fucking mongoloid.

You're an actual retard, my dude.

>cuck country
no. and the asus one is already built into the router.

this

t. the retard who pay $80/month for internet whereas it costs me 3$/month for 100Mbits. You drop out from high school?

Out of curiosity, what's your gripe with AlphaRacks? I keep getting spam from them despite the fact I don't think I've ever rented a server from there.

are those persona 5 bubbles?

I pay $60 for 100mbits actually, because I live in rural America. I don't have any cheaper, or any more expensive, options.

You're still fucking stupid. :)

ye

>living in a shithole and proud of it
Yeah you're mentally challenged

>rural America
>shithole

Enjoy your taxes, police, and authoritarian cock deep in your throat.

lol enjoy your terrorism

seedbox $20/month kimsufi dedi i5 8GB 2TB 100mbit unmetered

znc vpn $11/year gestiondbi openvz 1 cpu 1GB 7GB 1.5TB bandwidth

website $40/year woothosting kvm 3 cpu 2GB 100GB '1gbit' (few hundred mbit) 5TB bandwidth

>I'm currently facing decision paralysis between OVH and ScaleWay.
I was in the same boat a month ago. I went with ovh, I'm very happy with the service.

Another thing is that a VPS is often hosted in a datacenter with backup generators and other disaster prevention systems in place translating to way better uptime than most homes.

vultr sydney
KVM
1024mb memory
$5/month
25GB storage (ssd, haven't benchmarked but it seems fast as fuck, at least compared to our old shitty SAN at work)
debian stretch, was on testing until it came out. kind of want to change to ubuntu server non-LTS so i can have moderately constant updates without dealing with testing's bullshit.

main uses are
mumble server
personal mailserver (actually used) postfix + dovecot
personal website (not properly used i just dick around with it)
nginx + php7 + postgres

performance has always been pretty good processing wise. network wise the datacentre got ddos'd all the time a few years ago which was fucking annoying but havent had any problems with it recently.

main thing that attracted me to vultr was they were the only cheap option at the time (2014ish) that was KVM and you could install your own custom ISO (all the other ones were prebaked installs). Not sure if there is better choice now.

yea the $2.50 has been 'sold out' ever since i noticed it was there (a few months back)

> Kimsufi
> Dedicated 4GB 15$/month
> Debian 8
> Nextcloud

They prise it as a VPS on their homepage, but it's actually a dedi.

Forgot to add: 2TB hard drive.

where does Kimsufi ever state that it isn't a dedicated?

Kimsufi
i3-2130
8 GB RAM
100 Mbit unmetered
2 TB HDD
8,99€/month

> Vultr
> 10$ package
> Ubuntu 14.04
> LAMP stack + ts + some other services
> 0.01 load (shit's fucking fast)

I am considering a move to Ramnode, but I am still not sure. The 2048MB SKVMS looks like a real sweet deal. (even though Vultr is fast, I am always worried about the one core setup.)