Can we discuss how much Electron fucking sucks?

Can we discuss how much Electron fucking sucks?

Just look at the Twitch desktop app; the installer is fucking 105MB. Then there's atom.io, (a fucking notepad, mind you,) which is also built with Electron, and its desktop installer is MOTHERFUCKING 161MB. A TEXT. EDITOR. 161MB INSTALLER.

How can you possibly make something THIS bloated? And even worse, how could you think this is acceptable? Are 2017 devs really this retarded?

Other urls found in this thread:

pavelfatin.com/typing-with-pleasure/).
phys.org/news/2017-07-heavier-asian-americans-american.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Are 2017 devs really this retarded?
Yes.

atom isn't really all that big, it just needs dependencies which make the installer seem big. This is multiplied if you are talking about windows

ops, sorry for the awkward 1 in the middle but you get the idea

also some fucking indie games that are just basic pixelshit in HTML5 and of course they are 100MB+ because they come with a full browser.

Fuck lazy devs.

There are a bunch of languages out there that can let you target natively multiples, like Haxe.

> notepad++ 2,91 MiB

have fun with your 100+ MiB editor, I stay with notepad++ under windows & vim/nano under unix/loonix

>161mb
This was the factor that helped me decide between Atom or Sublime Text

Then there's Discord with a 50MB installer too.

Electron is cancer.

>it just needs dependencies which make the installer seem big
The dependencies count too, you mong.

It's easier and quicker to develop for. Making software costs money and modern computers can run this inefficient shit without any problems, so why spend the extra money developing something efficient?

wrong

Electron is lazy trash from webdevs who want to moonlight without having to learn what "compile" means.

But what else did you expect? Look what they're doing to the modern web. They buy maxed-out Macs for development and then assume that the rest of the world must also be running on 18-cores, 128GB RAM and NVME attached to a fiber line. Everything they do is the definition of not being able to relate to dissimilar people.

One day we'll be building inefficient shit using inefficient libraries that rely on more inefficient libraries. And this chain of inefficient dependencies will be so long that we'll need to continuously purchase new, beefier computers to run programs just because of shitty 2017 developers.

You are seriously overestimating the value of this tradeoff. Web technology is *extremely* inefficient while only being slightly more convenient to use, and that is solely because it's ubiquitous. Giving webtards free reign to personal computers' resources will only lead to some Kafkaesque standard where desktops can only run one or two applications at a time like smartphones.
High level general purpose languages exist. No one is asking you to write everything from scratch in pure ANSI C.

That's (((their))) plan.

While i fully agree with you, the fact of the matter is that retarded companies will always gravitate towards the cheaper options. They don't care if their bloated software means the user can't multitask.

I used a go binary yesterday that is a clone of a Ruby script that is probably less than 2k lines. (r10k vs g10k for anyone curious. The go binary is 6MB. This seems absolutely huge to me, I know it's not electron huge but a C binary for this should only be a few hundred KB.

I wonder if anyone's even going to really care about how large a kilobyte is in like 50 years. Like the bloat will get so large that people know what bytes are because that's the lowest level, then megabytes are probably going to be the realistically smallest filesize that most people see.
Makes u think. No equivalent has ever really happened before.

>No equivalent has ever really happened before.
The kilogram.

ITT: retard NEET nobodies who don't know how the real world works

By that logic, pretty much all programs are bloated.

This has already happened in the eyes of consumers.

ITP: a retard heckling from the back rows, being an annoyance to everyone, but contributing nothing.

>200MB game
>takes up 2.5GB RAM
>higher CPU usage than most AAA games
So, THIS is the power of HTML5

>I have no argument so here's my
>ad hominem

Are you implying that the weight of everything in the universe will get so bloated that regular people forget about the kilogram?
Obviously the same concept doesn't apply to the entire metric system
Well yeah the average consumer probably only knows what gigabytes are, maybe they have a vague idea of "megs" if they pay for their own internet.

No, I'm saying that common measurements of mass are getting to large that people don't really know what grams are. Kilograms are the realistically smallest mass that most people see, to the point of the kilogram--a prefixed amount--actually being the base unit of mass.

Yes, it doesn't apply to the entire metric system. All I'm saying is that it happened already to mass.

>people don't know how to use something
>Sup Forums thinks the entire tool/language/etc sucks because of the retards
Even more proof this should be renamed to Sup Forums - Consumerism.

Kill yourself, shit for brains.

I was about to be snarky, but I just realized that I think about grams and kilograms pretty often, but I've never heard of a decigram while I have heard of a gram and kilogram.
GOOD point. Although I don't think the same concept applies to the American measurements.

>but I've never heard of a decigram
Why would you have? Only the exponents divisible by three, i.e., powers of 1000, are common. You haven't heard of deciwatt or or decavolt either.

I refuse to use Electron apps at all. If I need to use something like Twitch I'm going to use the web browser. I even cancelled my Spotify account because I'm tired of their bloated, unresponsive client. Maybe some people don't perceive the difference, but I can't stand seconds of unresponsiveness in a fucking new computer, compared to native programs which are fast and responsive as fuck. Electron apps are even slower than giant Java programs like IDEs (pavelfatin.com/typing-with-pleasure/).

RAMlets, when will they learn?

I'm the user who made the point about the kilogram, and deci- is common enough as dL. Especially in medicine and some general science applications.

It might be common, but those are all exceptions. Just like kilogram is the only SI unit with a prefix. Kilogram is very exceptional in that way.

With the Ryzen processors out, I don't see why this is a problem. Electron is great. Rapid deployment of programs is important and it's cross-platform.

Computing hardware is much faster than it was in 2010 and below.

The liter isn't actually an SI unit and isn't all that common in science. At least not in my experience as a physicist with experience in chemistry.

>lol just like upgrade your hardware bro
Consumerism wins again!

He's right, the SI unit is cubic meter

Why the fuck did you quote me, idiot?

You've probably seen the liter used in your high school science class, which is why you think it's used in science. or as said, in medicine. But doctors aren't scientists, so no one cares what units they use.

who?

CrossCode isn't HTML5 and it wasn't written with Electron.

>how the real world works
The "real world" has always liked terrible garbage because tech companies are mostly run by investors who have no idea how their products work.
See: PHP

This was covered in fucking Donald Duck comic

ur daddy

It is possible to dramatically reduce the size of chromium embedded, but nobody does it because it's relatively complicated and requires digging into the chromium build process. Also doing that won't really speed up application start times, or make the VM it runs in any less clunky.

/thread

The same issue is with any language that requires huge runtime.
Pack jvm to your application or tell the users to install java and just download your class files.

go binary is static linked. That explains the huge size.

>2017
>still using desktop apps
just be grateful - with electron you still have some sort of life going on a dead platform. it's either electron app or no app. why would anyone dev for windows or mac when i can dev for web and make my own botnet and cuck my own normies without sharing it with major vendors?

Idiot

he kind of got a point though. Once everything runs in the web/cloud it doesn't matter what platform you use as long as it has working browser.
And normies don't like installing software.

Technology is going down a dark path

>Only the exponents divisible by three, i.e., powers of 1000, are common.
>centimeters
>But doctors aren't scientists, so no one cares what units they use.
Liter is the commonly used unit.
I've never seen 0,5 dm^3 beer bottles , only 0,5 l beer bottles.

>>Only the exponents divisible by three, i.e., powers of 1000, are common.
>>centimeters
It's rather an exception to the rule, though.

>install Spotify desktop client
>eats up 250mb of RAM
>doesn't even have a built in equalizer
>due to shitty caching the "data" folder gets bloated to 30gb of permanent "temp" files

>nobodies who don't know how the real world works

Who gives a shit about the real world, all we care about is computers.

all the people cmplaining here are poorfags who can't afford dual socket. face it.

Turning a web app into a desktop app with a terminal command is more useful to web developers that you could possibly imagine, it essentially allows frontend devs to develop desktop software, making the barrier to entry less of a hurdle.

I can now build a desktop app with html/css/js, sure it's bloated but it doesn't change that fact.

We know it's useful to web developers, that is why we are worried. Web developers are dangerous idiots and need to be contained to their normie ecosystem.

Normalfags got into technology, this is the result.

>Are you implying that the weight of everything in the universe will get so bloated that regular people forget about the kilogram?
See: phys.org/news/2017-07-heavier-asian-americans-american.html

>I'm saying that common measurements of mass are getting to large that people don't really know what grams are.
You just admitted you have never cooked a single meal by yourself.

>but I've never heard of a decigram while I have heard of a gram and kilogram.
Did you mean decagram? Because that could be cultural, in my language/country decagram is used on a daily basis, especially for food stuffs ("I'll have four deca of that stewing beef please"). I doubt anyone needs to use decigrams unless they're a pharmacist or drug dealer.

says a normie consumer posting on a website in web developed by web developers