/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

learnpythonthehardway.org/
automatetheboringstuff.com/
files.meetup.com/18552511/Learn Python The Hard Way 3rd Edition V413HAV.pdf
github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10
microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first lol

Is there any meaning to this?

My PC boots for a fraction of a second and then turns off. I've tried an external power button, it isn't wedged on. I've tried removing everything bar boot drive/mobo/CPU power, same deal. Different power cable and different port on the wall, same deal. Anything else left to try or has my PSU finally given up the ghost? It started happening one day after I hadn't swapped parts in months, so I'm fairly sure I didn't break it.

How do I encrypt my hard drive? I see no options for encryption or bitlocker in the control panel

callisto>anime
desu senpai, baka

Download VeraCrypt and encrypt a partition. Don't use bitlocker, it's anything but secure.

Is 38C/100F a high temp for my idle 1060 to be at?

Its not hot out or anything

Thats perfectly normal idle temps, you have nothing to worry about.

I am trying to repair my friend's desktop PC, it has a GT220 nvidia, and everything spins good, but the damn fucker won't give any video over HDMI nor VGA.

The story goes that my friend wanted to replace the GPU with a stronger one, put the better GPU in, it didn't work, and then when he wanted to put back in the old one, it just didn't give video. Standard PCI-Express slot, I tried both slots one and two, nothing.

Do I try resetting the CMOS or something?

I got a refurbished note 4 from ebay, and want to root it, but every method I try fails. I cant even flash that recovery tool from odin.

any tips?

I just quit uni. Should i return to pursuing a job in the tech industry?

What skills can I teach myself which will land a job?

When I try to create a new virtual machine on virtual manager, it displays an error message that says: "There is not enough free space on the storage pool to create the volume. (8192 M requested allocation > 5887 M available)". I tried creating another storage pool, but I can't change the size of the storage pool no matter where I place it. Wat do Sup Forums?

download more ram

from last thread, having connection issues with chat clients, oddly slow internet but i have a good connection

Damn, you took the stupid part real literally.

was that necessary?

Okay, I'm sorry..

How to work an espresso machine.

>try to set up the default windows 7 VPN
>it connects but doesn't route internet through it
what do?
All I did was create a new incoming connection on my home pc, set to allow my account and that's it. On the client I just made a new VPN connection, used my account creds and it connects but all Internet traffics times out.
In ipconfig on client, the PPT adapter shows default gateway as 0.0.0.0 so idk what the fuck to do about it.
I want the Internet to go through the VPN, so no splitting the tunnel

I want to learn programming. Where should i start?

and another thing, any VPN solutions on Windows 7 that don't require admin privileges? OpenVPN is the first to fail at that because it needs to install a network driver

Or a dick

I have two SSDs, one is ~500GB and one is ~200GB. What is the optimal way to set up my laptop with this? Is it worth using the smaller one exclusively for boot and applications, or should I not bother and just only use the larger one for everything?

Learn python and then take a look at OOP.

Any good sites/books suggestions?

learnpythonthehardway.org/

win 7 here
my pc starts with IntelService.exe process
it constantly takes 25% of my cpu and it makes it sound like a f16
there's Intel service in msconfig and it says it's working and not recognized but i always shut it down in task manager
there isn't anything intel related in autostart though and malwarebytes doesn't see it either
how do i make it stop from starting?

I'd like to try out some distro of Linux, currently on windows. I'd like it to be more definitive than a live USB stick sort of system. Is there any way to partition my current hdd without any sort of formatting so I can freely install Linux there? I don't wanna lose or have to shuffle around files or back them up again.

do i need tpm for that?

>30$

Is AdNauseam malware, or is google just full of shit?

automatetheboringstuff.com/

files.meetup.com/18552511/Learn Python The Hard Way 3rd Edition V413HAV.pdf
Is that so hard to google?

What is the best scanner that can do negatives and film? Is there one that has usb3 0 and ubder $150?

Should i kil myself?

Building a new pc . First one in quite a while. Where should I buy my OEM windows key? I don't know which sites are reliable anymore. I personally don't trust the pirated version and I'd rather spend the 20 bucks rather than worry about malware.

yes

thanks

These people would be the ones to ask.

Do you need a specific IDE to use SFML?
Can I just use notepad and compile with g++?

Anyone know why i get this when i try to extend the D partition to use the full disk? Google says its from having too many partitions on a drive but that drive only has 1 partition on it, its not really a big deal since its only 500MB but its annoying to see it.

Nvm, apparently it's created by jews

When downloading torrents. I should use VPN only to access the site? or should i use it also when downloading the torrent?

>when downloading the torrent
That's the most important. It's not called peer to peer for nothing. When downloading, your ip is publicly visible.

how can I change key bindings from MPV?

I have a problem with my internet connection where things don't load half the time. When doing a ping I get request timed out 90% of the time. While using a VPN there is no problem, everything loads fast and smoothly. I also tried connecting my laptop to the same network, same exact port and there is no problem. I tried different DNS but still the same issue. So I'm thinking there is something fucked with my network settings on my desktop computer. Any idea what it can be? Windows 10.

Edit input.conf

How do I get SDL running on my machine?
Installed libsdl2-2.0 and libsdl2-dev but Im not sure where to go from here.

why would you not just make every class virtual in c++ when inheriting it? what's the downside to that?
as it stands it just seems to fix a problem that could be automatically amended without the need for the virtual keyword but i want to know why.

#include
#include
#include

int main( int argc, char *argv[ ] )
{
SDL_Surface *screen;

if( SDL_Init( SDL_INIT_VIDEO ) == -1 ){
printf( "Can't init SDL: %s\n", SDL_GetError( ) );
return EXIT_FAILURE;
}

atexit( SDL_Quit );
screen = SDL_SetVideoMode( 640, 480, 16, SDL_HWSURFACE );
SDL_WM_SetCaption( "Hello World", NULL );

SDL_Delay( 3000 );

return EXIT_SUCCESS;
}

Compile this. You will get file not found SDL.h if it's not installed.

If anyone here uses ShareX, is there a way to automate a better compression process than using the integrated jpeg support? It looks like ass even at highest settings, but if I do png -> photoshop -> jpg, I get a much better result

Nice, thanks.
What would a compilation look like assuming the file is called test.cpp (or test.c, not sure which you're using)? Any compiler flags to use for g++?

im writing server/client application and id like to see how it reacts to brute force sending random messages over sockets, any programs for that?

gcc test.c -lSDL
probably but it's been a while since i did anything SDL

Thanks.
I want to do simple 2D interactive graphics with it and I had/have no idea where to start. Someone suggested SDL so I thought I'd try it.

Is it possible to have an HDD/external HD accessed by two systems at the same time? Preferably not through the internet, how would I accomplish this? I'm trying to set up a media center to my TV and want to download movies to this HDD from my main computer but have my media center access the HDD in order to play the movies instead

Well you should start learning C before using the SDL...
Here it doesn't matter as it's only using C functions. But if you want to manipulate strings or write templates, then go for cpp.

No I don't think that's possible.

get a dd wrt router for 30 bucks and use it as a switch, and sign in to the vpn there

Through a local network
or if you're really afraid of ethernet cables you could do FC, but that would require some very specialized hardware

You could probably do this with an android phone running an openvpn client using usb tethering

trying to do this at work so not really a possibility

yea, I think I'll just have to tether my phone network, I was trying to avoid it because it's a security risk but fuck it, I need it for a couple of days only

>Sup Forums says ram optimizers are all bullshit and only make things worse
>"it only LOOKS like a lot of ram is being used, but it's just caching. Windows frees the caching space when it needs to use it," they say
>notebook has only 4gb of ram
>can't even use photoshop and leave the browser open because low ram
>ram optimizers start looking enticing
>decide to do a test
>open a shitton of photoshop documents
>open a shitton of tabs
>used ram 98%
>computer starts freezing
>hangs every time I try to do anything
>use a ram optimizer
>ram usage goes down to 60% without closing anything
>everything gets smooth
what the hell, Sup Forums? I thought those things were bad. What gives? Was I lied to?

My foreign neighbor can't afford internet and I told him he couldn't use mine. So I'm trying to help him find a solution.

Somebody here once recommended me a 4G stick so I could use the internet when I visited the countryside.

I've never actually used one though, so my question is, would this be a workable solution for my neighbor who can't afford much and would like to stream.

If not does anybody else have any ideas on how to help my neighbor?

50 foot ethernet cable

Need a laptop for work and I have this old Toshiba a505 sitting in my closet, has an i3 and 4gb of ram.
If I clean it out, put a fresh os on it, and throw in an ssd, is it worth using for browsing and word? Or would I be better off getting some refurb thinkpad?

better off getting a refurb thinkpad
consumer laptops are generally garbage 2 years after you buy them, regardless of specs.
but why doesn't your workplace pay for it if you need it for work?

Got one at my desk, but I like to go and isolate myself elsewhere in the office to do research or whatever.

What's the safest way to use Windows 10 for games if you're paranoid?

i had recently got myself relatively closely involved in the marcus hutchins case in a completely legal capacity (helping him and senpai find a place to stay, lawyer, etc), i have been communicating about it mostly thru omemo.. but thats just because infosec ppl are Like That.

anyway today a black suburban parked in front of my house in the middle of nowhere, nobody got out and it left after ~30 min, what did they mean by this?

I can see that. Well, you should definitely get a used thinkpad then. I use a T420 every day at work (mine, because i don't really need a laptop for my job) and it's great

Dig around here: github.com/W4RH4WK/Debloat-Windows-10

How do I fix this shit? This happens when I run qBittorrent for more then a day, sometimes one of the options works but after a while all of them stop working.

What is the cheapest way to capture video from HDMI output onto my Ubuntu?
I need something fast enough for streaming on twitch.

Windows implements a demand-paged virtual-memory system. An OS uses virtual memory to give applications the illusion that a computer has more physical memory than it actually does. RAM optimizers take advantage of the Memory Manager’s behavior by allocating, then freeing, large amounts of virtual memory. As RAM optimizers force the available-memory counter up, they force other processes’ data and code out of memory.

t. M.Russinovich

should i get a sub woofer? ive got hs8 speakers and am in a 3.5 x 3 m room

I'm looking to automate a bunch of tasks that my coworkers do, basic office worker stuff.

Where do I start with this? I could buy a platform but I'm not even sure where to look. The sort of things I'm looking to do:

-Monitor an inbox, if an email comes in with a .TXT attachment, download the TXT, treat it as a CSV file and put those values into the appropriate fields in a database

-Look at a folder, check the file names, grab the first six characters from the file names, look up the file number in the database, grab a new file location from the database, move the file from the current location to the new one, rename the file

-Monitor the databases for specific changes, send emails or take other actions based on that

Those are actually only the things I've thought of actually. I'm sure I could cobble the first two together through Python or something but was looking for something a little less homebrew if possible?

Anyone? Please ask if you need more information. I really don't get it.

write an add on. use a scripting language like lua

if extension txt
and email from
database whatever

and so on. to call writing a script in python "homebrew" man youre not applying yourself. get good, its like an hours work if that

>Python

import MySQLdb
import poplib
import smtplib

done.jpg

It might take a few days to write if you're not used to python but it will be worth it.

Hello Sup Forums, I just bought myself a Crucial MX300 525GB SSD.

It works fine, but when I enabled BitLocker on it, it got encrypted instantly. Usually I get an option to encrypt used data or full disk encryption. The SSD had 300GB of data when I encrypted it, but like I said before, it was instantly.

Is this what "Hardware Encryption" is? I saw a video from this year's Computex where Crucial, I think, talked a lot about Hardware Encryption. This is the first time any of my SSD's has encrypted instantly with bitlocker.

Is it CIA botnet or actually secure?

Here's what buttlocker CMD info says

well there's no way bitlocker can be properly secure

Is PBKDF2 just sha256(sha256(sha256(input,salt),salt))..?

#include
#include

main() {
float pound;

pound=convert();
printf("The amount in Pounds is %f", pound);

}

convert(){
float dollaroos;

printf("Please input a dollar amount: ");
scanf("%f", &dollaroos);
dollaroos = roundf(dollaroos*100)/100;
return dollaroos/2.0;

}

this is some book exercise i'm doing. It just wanted me to make a converter that divides it by 2, but it used USD to Pounds as an example, so I'm stubbornly trying to get it to accept decimals. What am I doing wrong?

I read that roundf() will round it off to two decimal places, but that doesn't work either. It'll output like 4.000000 for 8.5 which isn't right.

Do lecturers at university care about piracy? I can get nearly all of my books illegally, will they question how i got them?

not worth it if the prof wrote the book
im no lawyer but i think he could sue you

I chatted with Crucial chat support and they said it's hardware encryption (kind of like how Android phones are encrypted with a default password until a user enables a numberpad/password locksreen).

And in this case, BitLocker enabled the hardware encryption which is instant.

That's real fukken neato

fuck that guy anyway

do any professors actually check? if the books available digitally then your g probably.

not that neat, not particularly secure vs software encryption

Using ffmpeg to convert video to image sequence. Will this result in quality loss?

I don't start until September but I've already downloaded all of the course books that i'll need illegally.

Where do I download Windows 7 Professional legit? MSDN Subscriber Downloads got axed or something. I have a key for Windows 7 Pro but it is an OEM key so I can't use it on microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7. I just need a legit ISO.

piratebay

I probably have a retarded problem, but...

Last semester I could access the uni's WiFi without any problems through my memepad, but this semester I can't access even the fucking login page (which is necessary to gain access).

The procedure I did was like this:
1) Open browser
2) Go to any page
3) Browser changes the page to the uni's WiFi login screen
4) I insert my user/password and voila

Now it doesn't go into the login screen, even if I type the URL manually. What the fuck is happening? I can access it just fine with my old Moto G2.
I already tried chaning my browser and I'm running Arch Linux.

>changing

can you set up your G2 as a repeater? try that and start eliminating variables.

Fuck, you're right... I'll try that tomorrow. Unfortunately I'm at home right now.

Thanks.

Accidentally opened a video with foobar2000 and lost all my thousands of songs in the default playlist. Is there anything I can do to turn back time?