/wt/ - Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of horology, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch, clock, or other timepiece.

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide: pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Why own a watch if i have an iPhone

Fashion, appreciation of mechanics

Well I'm glad I got some confirmation as I was really clueless but I really want to get into watches. I never really cared about them but now I feel strangely intrigued.

So I'll probably get the diver and dress Seiko and then save up for the "real deals".
Maybe I'll get a G Shock because I'm a very outdoor person too so having something really sturdy can hurt and they're not that expensive, right?

Because your iPhone is a digital pocket watch.

If you own an iPhone you have bigger problems to worry about.

A cheaper Casio digital watch is one of the go to beater watches.

>invicta submariner copies

>fashion
>those fuckhuge numbers for idiots

this guy gets it

a gshock is nigger tier

SKX will handle most outdoor things. But if you think you're going to be very rough and want to keep your SKX in better shape a DW5600 is go-to. 40-50 bucks for a watch built around durability.

dw5600 is all you need g shock wise

How is this nigger tier?

What happens when you can't charge your pocket cancer every 8 hours?

Thoughts on this one? May order it Wed

Get the bracelet. Because if you do want it down the road you are going to be paying up.

The hands and crown ruin it for me. The only BB I would consider is the bronze.

I always thought they looked a bit childish. I never knew they were "classics".
I was looking into the metal ones but I don't feel really comfortable.

There are lots of aesthetic things I don't like about the Black Bays but they're certainly good watches and you really can't fault them on quality or anything technical. So if you like how it looks then it's a great choice.

I would suggest always buying a watch on the bracelet and then buying a leather strap separately because if you ever decide you want the bracelet then you're going to have to pay out the ass for it. Having the bracelet will really help resale value one day too, if you ever get tired of it. It's easy to find any leather strap you like, I'm sure there's lots of straps which would closely match that one.

2 tone thing is not really my type + the crown look ugly.
Same as this Wish the bronze was 40mm

I've never been a fan of bracelets because they always rip my wrist hair out. They have a blue pelagos I'm also looking at.

Maybe you just haven't had an actually good bracelet. I have a few bracelets that don't pull hairs, and it's not like I'm some hairless bitchwrist asian or something.

Most shitty bracelets will do that

I've only had Citizens in bracelets. Everything else I get in nato or rubber typically. Around water a lot.

>Homos wear nomos

Story time!

Called my local Omega Boutique (San Diego) to inquire about any promotional/showroom art or posters that they would be willing to sell to a 3rd party(me, I collect that stuff). My family has been a customer of theirs for 15 years, bought quite a bit of timepieces from them over that period. Guy immediately tells me in broken, frog-english that they "are a corporate store" and then hangs up on me like I'm some telemarketer. Never going there, and I recommend you guys do the same...

>diver bezel
>fuckhuge numbers for idiots

it may be an Invicta, but come on goy... try harder

Get that Invicta color scheme out of here.

delete this

/r/ing the picture of the rolex with "Swiss Meme"

Anyone have any recommendations for a 20mm Stainless Steel Oyster bracelet?

It's still a decent watch.

Step 1: Post your image along with ALL information about what it is you're requesting. Once this has been done..

Step 2: Scan though the rest of the messages in /r/ and see if there is anyone that YOU can help out. This is where most fagboats fail.

Step 3: Repeat Step 2 till someone fills your request.

Step 4: Thank the user that filled your request!

I'll make it myself, fucker

Is this watch good?

Canadanon:
The 5256 was running around +7 to +13 or so in six positions after 24 hours with an amplitude around 220, as compared to +2 to +9 with a 280+ amplitude with a full wind. Seems obvious a service could tighten up a lot of those times.

The case has a near-mirror finish to it and I suspect it's been polished (it looks like I can see some scuffs near two o'clock, hard to say), but if it has been polished it wasn't a terrible job.

Date change and advance work very well, though the date quickset is pretty stiff - noticeably stiffer than the day change. Is that true on yours?

The marks are too deep to get out with a good polish. Trying to get them out would result in overpolishing.

Yeah, I definitely don't intend to try to polish out any marks - just going to leave the case as is.

>calls up a store that supposedly knows him and his family instead of going and asking in person>person on the phone is not only unfamiliar to you but you are unfamiliar to him
>beg for promotional stuff while also trying to sound superior like you deserve it
>guy does the right thing and tells you to fuck off but is somehow in the wrong to you
This story is pants on head retarded and better be a re**it story you are sharing here for us to laugh at.

For my first 'nice' watch I'm thinking of either a speedmaster or a spring drive snowflake.

What is a better option? I think the speedy is more versatile and would get more wear, but I think the snowflake is just a better watch in general.

Snow frake. Make sure you get the non deprecated version :^)

they're both good. The spring drive is more of a niche option obviously. If you're considering it, I suggest getting it.

Plebeian here who doesn't understand a thing about watches.
Do the Japanese make nice watches? Is there a "Lexus" of watches?

>Rolex Explorer
>Omega SMP 300
If you don't have the homos, you would be my future me.
Try the Explorer on NATO yet?

Yes, there are nice (grand) seikos out there. Further up there are the credors and independents like hajime aosaka.

Seiko

Seiko Credor is the top of the line Japanese production watch. Entry level Credor is probably on par with something like a JLC. High complication Credor is very, very good. Grand Seiko is a level below Credor and is often compared to Rolex. It's positioned solidly above Omega in terms of finishing.

Citizen has put out a limited Tourbillon, but besides that their highest end watch is The Citizen Chronomaster, which is often described as being a comparable to but a bit below a Grand Seiko.

There is not much of an independent scene in Japan as compared to Europe - there's Asaoka, but that's about it as far as I know.

>speedmaster
Everyone and their mother have one. 1 vote for Snowflaker

Very nice condition, and 220 after 24 hours is pretty good. As I said, you could probably get away with just having it regulated rather than full service, but if you don't mind the expense, getting it serviced gives peace of mind.

Also, the date quick-set is like that on all 52xx movements because it winds the mainspring while turning. Most people who don't know about it often mistakenly think the date quick-set is broken.

>but that's about it as far as I know.
Masahiro Kikuno as well.

I would say snowflake. is right but another option could be to get a special edition speedy that is a bit more unique. Just don't get one of those co-axial automatic ones.

Too bad his pieces are forever [not for sale].

Putting 300 into the watch for a service doesn't seem so bad given that I picked it up for what I consider a fair price. I threw it on a black lizard band I had lying around and will wear it for a while first in any case.

Is this the ultimate watch for someone who only needs one good watch?

I would go datejust

What's that one called and how much does it cost

It's the Fugaku Tourbillon. I believe it's listed at 50 million yen. Jim at Seiko NYC had one for a while - not sure if it's still around (was sent to Miami for a bit for the opening of the boutique there).

a sub is a much better option

I really like watches with turquoise dials.
Does a nice watch exist that has a turquoise dial and isn't a fake of the Milgauss? I can't afford the Milgauss

found ur problem :^)

Sub doesn't work as well in as many situations.You can push an explorer and a dress watch but you look like a tool doing the same with a sub. You don't really need the 300m water resistance in regular life and if you do you get an actual cheaper dive watch anyway for that purpose if you do that much deep diving.

I think I'd rather have one of those than a Rolex lol.
It's beautiful

Too bad those are long sold out. And the V2 is coming Eventuallyâ„¢.

Well it does cost 50x as much as a Rolex so I suppose that makes sense. Can't say I care for the front though.

They show up on WUS every now and then

Meh front looks a bit.. well there's too much. Damn the back looked so great. Are there similar watches like these which are a tad more affordable?

Affordable alternatives to the Fugaku tourbillon? I'm not optimistic - what is it about the watch you want to be similar?

dude a sub is a sub there is a very good reason why it's the most popular Rolex model. it does everything, and if you think a sub looks bad with a suit then you really don't get it.

pls no

i know underwater welders that use submariners

You're not bond dumbass.

Federico is no longer at WatchUWant?

Has not been for awhile. Anyone know the juicy story?

Please please please tell me you don't do this. A tool watch in a suit makes you a tool.
I meant a purpose built diver for diving rather than cheaper but both can apply. Nothing wrong with using it for what it's made for just don't try dress it up like a dress watch. An explorer is a far more versatile everyday watch.

From what I've read from Tim's reply at a video (mind you, there were a lot of people asking where Fed was in that video and they deleted a lot of the comments):

WUW moved to Philadelphia. If you notice their new videos, their background is different. Fed chose to stay in Florida.

What's a good Tank style watch, 300-400 range

an explorer is a field watch hence a tool watch. if you are going to make up arbitrary rules for what can be worn with what, then you should follow them yourself.

Its a far better dress watch when compared with a sub. One can easily pass as a dress watch one stands out like a sore thumb.

Am I a badge snob? This looks exactly like a Seiko and I hate Seikos for how they look but this is OK for some reason.

fuck off ninefag

I'm used to wearing 42-43 mm case watches but found a watch I love but it only comes in 39. Will that look silly on my huge wrists?

Sup Forums - consumerism
And you know why.

This is what I'm looking at.

The style. I mean the more fancier and somewhat artsy style. I really dig the colors and the motive of the waves

>watching Dunkirk
>mechanical watch ticking throughout most of the movie for tension
>self-consciously move watch to underside of my wrist
>have to constantly remind myself the sound is coming from the movie

what is your wrist circumference in inches?

Is wrist circumference in any way related to penis length?

8 inches and 5 inch girth

what the fuck is that strap?