C# vs C++ vs Java in the industry

So I will be graduating soon in Computer Engineering and will be looking for a full time job in Software Engineering. The interviews to get those jobs will primarily consist of C#, C++, or Java for the more advanced parts so I would need to look at one of these languages instead of writing everything in python or javascript for the easier ones. I want to brush up the most on one of these languages that is best to work with in the industry. I know Java has the most jobs but that doesn't necessarily mean the work is the best along with it. C++ is the most difficult to master but the reward and efficiency that comes with it is unbeatable. C# isn't as popular as the 2 but learning it would give you more of an advantage in a smaller playing field. I have used all 3 of these, with only a bit of C# in a professional setting, but I would like to know your opinions on which would be best for the future or none of them at all as I want to use a single language to learn interview questions and side projects for now. In the end I suppose its more about the foundation of programming and problem solving you need to know to easily adapt to new ones, but which one of these do you think would be best going towards the industry in the modern setting?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emerging_technologies
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Define industry. Software Engineering has a pretty broad reach these days.

Don't wait until graduation. Get an internship now at a place you plan on working full time at after graduation. Learn whatever it is they use, and learn it well. That means more than just learning a core language, but also the frameworks and other technologies they use. Start work on projects that resemble that tech stack of theirs and git gud.

Java/C++/C# won't matter if you care about things like 'reward and efficiency' because unless you're doing embedded systems you're probably going to be working on some mature projects that have long since passed such concerns where things like maintenance and implementing new features/libraries is what matters most. The differences between the languages won't mean a thing, it's the frameworks and environment around them that will start to matter.

Learn javascript and go into web design
its far easier than c,c++,c# or java and way more in demand. Chances are you'll get a low stress 9-5 if you go into web dev with great pay and have a really easy time finding a jb too.

If you decide to try getting a C#, Java or C++ job you could end up doing far more difficult, stressful and time consuming work with pretty much the same pay. This is especially true of C and C++

>C++ is the most difficult to master but the reward and efficiency that comes with it is unbeatable.
you're substantially less efficient as a programmer when writing C++ compared to C# and Java

I suppose industry for me would be mid to large sized companies that work more on the building new technology side than to make a product that another industry will use (for example insurance software and the like). Basically I wouldn't want to work at any startups or stay a code monkey. I'm finishing up an internship this week but you never know what's gonna happen with return offers so I guess i'm just overworrying and hoping to catch on the best language future wise. I suppose reward and efficiency are mainly just buzzwords for today's software product considering the things i've seen with the product at my own internship, so I will take your advice on focusing on more about the frameworks/libraries/community more than the language itself.

Webdev was part of what I did for my internship. It was definitely not too stressful besides finding other people's bugs and being told to fix them without knowing how their code worked in the first place. We used typescript, but I suppose know javascript is a definite plus in understanding how to update old code to typescript if needed or just using it.

Is it because as a programmer the milliseconds I improve upon through mastering C++ is a waste in today's standards of technology and I should just use Java or C# in order to bring out a product that works in the first place?

Thanks for the advice guys.

Depends on what interests you. web: Javascript, financial/scientific: Python, applications: C#/Java, embedded: ASM, C/C++.

I'd say flexibility it the key: be familiar with them all, and code in the one your employer mandates. When they've got a millions lines of FORTRAN77, guess what language you're going to use???

(Whatever language you choose, it's going to fall out of favor in a decade.

t. just another Perl hacker)

You're right about it falling in favor in the future anyways and I guess I was just grasping at straws at which one of those 3 would help in interview question wise and staying in the future longest. I suppose it's just best for me to just stick with C# for now and strengthen my ability to adapt in order to change when the time comes, but thats a risk I already knew when I opted to try to get into this field

Learn all 3 you lazy fuck. C# and Java are kissing cousins so knowing one will give you good knowledge of the other. C++ will be the tricky one.

>Is it because as a programmer the milliseconds I improve upon through mastering C++ is a waste in today's standards of technology and I should just use Java or C# in order to bring out a product that works in the first place?
yes. for majority of uses the major productivity boost from using java or c# and their respective ecosystem greatly outweighs all the benefits might bring. having said that, there still are more than enough domains where c++ shines. it's a matter of preference. not just language/tooling preference but more importantly field of work preference.

>Whatever language you choose, it's going to fall out of favor in a decade.
I can see how you could feel that as a perl programmer, but python, java, c# and c++ are most definitely not going anywhere in the next decade.

all the benefits c++ might bring*

>I can see how you could feel that as a perl programmer, but python, java, c# and c++ are most definitely not going anywhere in the next decade.

Perl had a good run. So did COBOL, and Ada, and C, and FORTRAN, and...

You get my point?

Find out where you want to specialize and take a look at what stack they use.

There's a lot of good info in this thread and little shitposting due to all of the Brits being asleep.

It sounds like you haven't even started real programming, so you're gonna be looked down upon, especially for compiled langs. When you do start, stick with it and don't lang-hop. They're all pretty similar and if you know one well enough, you'll know when it's time to transfer your skills over to the others.

>Computer Engineering major
>going into Software Engineering
.. isn't computer engineering low level stuff? why would you choose to do SE? i'm almost in the opposite situation, where i'm graduating from a java shop this spring but i'm pivoting to get into lower level stuff

>C++ is the most difficult to master but the reward and efficiency that comes with it is unbeatable.
You are way off.
C# can destroy the other two in programmer efficiency (forcing you to make less mistakes), the problem is most people aren't willing to invest the time into learning the entire language or even make use of a majority of the namespaces included in the fucking language. There are people out there today that probably think Lists and Dictionaries are the only ICollections out there. There are people out there today that have never implemented ICollection on their own.
THERE ARE PEOPLE USING C# TODAY THAT DON'T KNOW WHAT A TUPLE IS.

Yeah, most of what i've done barely touches the actual working conditions of a professional environment since they gave me so much leeway in what I would be doing. I'll go with your advice with sticking with something I do enjoy using first and changing when I need to, thanks.

Honestly I went into Computer Engineering thinking it would be like working within Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the same time. The Electrical Engineering side never clicked with me however due to the classes not being as taught as well as I hoped and the labs being frustrating with the debugging of faulty equipment. I enjoyed the computer science classes that I took and saw that there would be more jobs in the software side so I decided to focus more on that, also because it's easier to learn how to program on my own in my own time than to do the same for electrical engineering stuff

I never considered that since most people just say C++ is the most efficient, but that's pretty interesting to know and I will have to look more into that while i'm learning C#.

>THERE ARE PEOPLE USING C# TODAY THAT DON'T KNOW WHAT A TUPLE IS.

I'm a java dev whose only interaction with C# is seething jealousy and I know what a tuple is. I can't believe I ever thought it was hard to get a dev job.

>graduating soon in Computer Engineering and will be looking for a full time job in Software Engineering

> thinks he is going to make 80k+ a year like google says.

>thinks he is going to make 80k+ a year like google says
Depending on where he went to school, his GPA, how well he interviews and where he's looking for work, why won't he make that? Hell, if he's gets a job in San Diego, Seattle, etc. he'll need twice that to afford a cardboard box under a highway overpass to live in.

web design is a low-skill lottery, not trying to discredit it, but its true. my dad is a lazy fuck, and moved into web designing, when he already had a good software job. he won the lottery and managed to set up a reputable web designing company, built from ground up with no capital. i've seen plenty of colleagues try this and end up near-broke, barely able to pay rent.

Seattle is expensive to live in? I thought you could buy a house there with pocket change.

>Seattle is expensive to live in?
Are you pretending to be retarded?

What interesting jobs can I get with Python and C++ skills?

>more than enough domains where c++ shines
Aside from embedded, what are they?

Depends on the field
The data science meme is going strong

>Aside from embedded, what are they?
not much I guess. I mostly meant that embedded systems are used in some interesting fields and they're getting more and more complex so op could easily find his niche if he fancied C++ more than the others.
I dislike C++ and don't use it myself so that's pretty much all I know for certain.

really depends on what's interesting to you. computer vision, simulations, video gaymen. I would saymuch of the stuff on this list would be connected to C++ and/or Python en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_emerging_technologies
this answers too I guess

>emerging tech
>what's interesting to you
Well what about AI?
>not much I guess
So Java really is much more popular than C++ for most projects?

>Java really is much more popular
Fuck no. In terms of usage, C++ is as popular if not more. Then comes C#, them Python I suppose.

Java is better and it pays better

>Fuck no. In terms of usage, C++ is as popular if not more. Then comes C#, them Python I suppose.
nice meme

So Java usage is actually growing while C++ is decreasing?
I was told sepples was the best language to break into the financial dev job market. Did I get memed?

>planning your career based on
>stackoverflow question frequencies

>So Java usage is actually growing while C++ is decreasing?
compared to other languages by % of marketshare they're probably both dropping slightly. but in absolute number of jobs they're both growing I'm sure
>I was told sepples was the best language to break into the financial dev job market. Did I get memed?
partially. it's probably the second best language to break into the financial dev market. pic rel

C# has more jobs than C++. Java has more jobs than both.

C#, of those three, is easily my favorite language, and still has an insane amount of jobs compared to most other programming languages. I get paid well over average developer salaries in my area working on a .NET stack (various applications, some ETL stuff, some sysadmin-based automation across lots of companies, etc).

Now that most of the C# ecosystem is FOSS, and .NET Core is becoming extremely solid, I feel a lot less guilty about loving it.

Java might be more used in finance in general but isn't C++ much more popular for the jobs that actually pay well?

not

really

Same. I'm doing web development with C# and I really love it. DB stuff is just so fucking simple and well done in the .NET world.

How long would it take to become proficient in both Java and C++ for someone who already knows C?

bump