/tpg/ - Thinkpad General

Brokeass Buster Edition
Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

>New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

>If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

>Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P SERIES, HP Elitebook (2570p, 8770W, 2170p), and Dell Latitude/Precision (E6430, E6440, E7440) if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Recommended models and mod guide:
pastebin.com/jVSuE175

>Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

>xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

>EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

>Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

tp.krelay.de
files.catbox.moe/k6ta8z.xlsx
youtube.com/watch?v=urzu3yfwahA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

my thinkpad x220 with Mac OSX Sierra :)

>stop coming to /tpg/ for a while
>there are now faggot op editions

wtf, what went wrong

lighten up

or alternatively, get your shit together and post a better c/p op before some idiot swoops in if you care so much

So I've got a T440p coming in later this week with these specs:
>intel core i7 4600m 2.9ghZ
>8gb ram
>500gb hdd
>1600x900 monitor

I've also got a new hdd (2tb) coming to upgrade the stock one. Aside from that and the screen, is there anything else I should consider upgrading?

What specific model of FHD screen do you all recommend for me to buy? Looking at the FRU list on this model's parts list is a bit confusing for me cuz idk what to get.

Have t420. Is egpu a meme? Also, does changing cpu akes any noticeable difference? My thing is that it just gets too noisy

Request to add this to the OP:
tp.krelay.de
files.catbox.moe/k6ta8z.xlsx

Also how do i check if a T400 uses CFL or LED without touching it?

if you can get a used card for free i feel an egpu setup can make sense. otherwise youre putting money into a project that might as well be a budget desktop build. bug your friend for his 750/960/whatever next time he upgrades. as for actual performance, shit that runs *okay* on igpu (new vegas) will do great with an egpu. something beefier like prey or overwatch that won't even start on the igpu will run *fairly well* on an egpu at medium settings

I just bought a t430 with 8gb ram and 500gb hdd with i5 for 180

did I fugg id ub :DDDD

pig related

Swap the trackpad out for the '50 series version.

Do the T4*0p ThinkPads have ULV garbage CPUs?

Found an old x61 when doing a clean out. How bad is it?

CPU ends in u?
yes.
Only T440 and newer have ULV CPUs.
T430 and older have normal CPUs.

Its alright for a simple laptop.

I have a G40. Why? I think I can sell it for a newer business laptop.

X220 and T420 are the same price here. Are there's any reason to buy the X220 other than it's size [and the benefits that come with it]?

why do you all like think pads so much

The X220 can use an IPS screen unlike the TN cancer on the T420 and some models have usb3.0, meanwhile the T420 can use three drives, has an upgradeable processor and has a 1600x900 screen.

cuz theyr gud

Doesnt the X220 CPU can be upgraded too?

No, it's soldered to the board iirc

Thanks for that info. Welp, if I actually find a X220 with an i7 I will definitely go for it. I've only ever seen i5 X220. Plus the i7 X220 supposedly has a touch capable screen.

What the shit, why are these going for so much? The only extras were two power cords and a $16 dock.

Okay Sup Forums, I have T420 with hackintosh, win10 and Linux. Main problem is that clover can't see Linux install, but can see windows loader (everything in efi). I allowed Linux scan in config.plist, but still nothing.
Linux is antergos, I don't have time to fuck with arch
Help highly appreciated
Pic not related

is the antergos efi folder and .efi file on the same folder as clover and windows efi?

Windows and antergos yeah, clover on different drive

Are you thinking of the x220t. X220 i7s are nice because of USB 3.0

Try having all efis in the same folder as clover, that's how i have it.

t. booting four OSes with clover and gayos

I have no idea. Even the SSD and Ram upgrades wouldn't add on more than $100 extra in value.

I have one day to decide whether to buy a t440p or an x230t

The purpose is university work - coding, doc processing, taking notes; and reading pdf's for hours every day on a train.

I love the screen size, toughness and socketed cpu of the t440p.
I love the multi-orientation, touchscreen, and IPS display of the x230t; the stylus could be extremely useful for notetaking, too.

Something tells me the x230t is more suited to my use case.. but I'm worried about the screen size. 12.5" is pretty damn small.

Can anyone comment on this? Is there anything I should know about the x230t?

May I just copy it? Or do I need to reinstall and shit

try just copying it as long as you keep the antergos/grubx64.efi hierarchy

forgot pic, that's how i have my clover EFI folder

Both laptops have IPS displays, as long as you run the FHD screen on the t440p.

Okay, thanks mate

I recently bought a T530 and I'm trying to install an SSD and get the data transferred over. I'm having some trouble doing this though. I know this is not really a specific Thinkpad issue, but if you could give me some advice, it would be hugely appreciated. I have outlined the details in greentext:

>I plugged in a USB 1TB external HDD, which I then formatted to NTFS
>Using Macrium Reflect, I cloned my internal HDD to the external HDD; I checked the contents of the external HDD to ensure that this had taken place.
>After shutting down the computer, I removed my internal HDD and replaced it with a blank 120GB SSD formatted to NTSF (like the external HDD)
>With an SSD installed and with the external HDD still connected via USB, I turned on the computer, pressing F1 to enter BIOS.
>I navigated to 'Startup', then 'Boot' and moved the relevant external HDD to the top of the 'Boot Priority Order' list. I then saved the changes and exited.
>The computer then automatically opens the 'Boot Menu' and provides me with a list of 4 boot options. I select the relevant external HDD. After pressing 'Enter', the computer immediately brings up the same boot menu. I select the same external HDD again.
>After this, the computer goes to blank screen and nothing else happens. I've let it sit for 10 minutes to see if it's booting really slow, but no luck.

I'm sure there's something I'm missing. I'm not super great with computers.

I bought a T420 and was wondering if anyone had problem with the combo audio jack or is it just me?

Windows doesn't boot from external drives, and you were meant to clone your installation to the SSD

If you boot from the external HDD, how are you going to clone it to the empty internal SSD?

Just use clonezilla faget

How's the battery life? Is installing OSX worth the trouble?

I tried to make a hackintosh and install OSX on a Thinkpad and it was next to impossible for me with constant crashes

Any tips on how it can be done?

what's up with these stupid images?

Well, it still doesn't work

How big is the difference between performance in x230/220/200? Do I need to buy x230 and swap 220 keyboard or I'll be okay with 220/200? I do most of my work either on cli/tui or Emacs. I'm browsing web using eww + rarely opening Firefox. I'm coding big projects and doing real work mostly on my desktop PC and I'm using laptop when I'm not home or when I'm at bed. Should I pay more for 230?

Also, I want white thinkpad. What is the best type of dye to paint thinkpad?

Thinkcentre general.

>t520

would a chink battery be an improvement over my original sanyo with 43% capacity?

Does anyone know that one Japanese Thinkpad with the weird scissors keyboard that spits into two

Where can I buy it

I cut my finger on a sharp edge of my thinkpads hard drive caddy.

Does this mean I need to buy an enclosure with SATA connections for the SSD? Do you think I could take apart the external HDD and use that case?

Presumably by then re-cloning the contents of the external HDD to the now internal blank SSD. I can't see why this would be an issue.

holy shit

tfw want non tablet x230
tfw t430 is way cheaper

I just want a lilcyberpunkmachine

As an x230 owner, what the fuck is cyberpunk about it.

>not being a cyberpirate
>2017

>buy a t410
>get it with 4 instead of 8gb ram
>trackpoint scrollbutton is broken off

so I just contacted the seller and she offered to send it back and get a refund + she pays the shipping or she pays half the cost back (20 euros). people can still be nice in this world

Cloning a mounted disk is almost universally discouraged - especially with a system drive. It is technically possible, but will likely result in compromised copies.

The best thing to do if no further drives are available, is to boot into a liveCD or liveUSB environment (OS running from RAM), leaving all drives free to be cloned/manipulated safely.

Personally, I use Clonezilla as included in PartedMagic as included in Ultimate Boot CD version 533. There are newer versions of PartedMagic, but they are no longer free.

Anyone have experience with these generic 9 cell battery replacements? Are they safe and an decent alternative. I recently bought an x220 and the old battery has already ceased working. Computer only runs on AC and if I remove the cord it instantly shuts down and refuses to boot.

too expensive
i just bought x230t for half the price. it has i5/128gbSSD/8gb tho

>I do most of my work cli/tui or emacs
hey brother of the cult of emacs
if you dont use X I'd pick a x200 (librebooted) without a doubt
if you need some X 220 will be just fine if you just want more power (wich would take more battery) take an x230
I currently use a x230 with an i7 and am looking for a x200 just to boot into guix + emacs

looks like pristine condition plus it has 256gb ssd (yuk 500> or it isnt worth it) and the i7. he asks way too much but at the end of the day its still a good machine he sells. it literally looks unused

what's a better investment, an IPS panel or a 9 cell battery?

>I only travel
battery
>I like watching stuff on my laptop
ips

don't know a thing about t440p, but x230t's screen has burn-in problem. battery could also be better - it supports only 3 and 6 cell batteries (while x230 can use 9 cell ones). 6 cell version also sticks out from the laptop

i bought it for coding and pdf reading, and it fits my use case perfectly. 6 cell battery lasts for ~6 hours (with ssd). burn-in is not noticeable on lighter backgrounds/themes

nah, I'd recommend waiting for a FHD upgrade kit that works this time around, get an i7 quad core like the i7 36xxQM ones, 16GB of RAM and a beefy new battery, then finally put in an mSATA SSD and a HDD, such a sick combo imo, the mSATA SSD for applications, music, OS and a few videos and the HDD for your other big files.

how hard is librebooting an x200t? apparently it uses a different chipset that the x200 (GM45 vs GS45) and it seems like there are raminit problems

just bought a x220 tablet for $200, the description said it was a i5 but ended up being an i7 with a 240gb ssd, its in excellent condition as well.

I use x11 with i3wm. I actually want to migrate to Wayland and sway some day

congratz, that's really nice for you, will you tell your seller or will you just keep shut about it? I personally would sell that SSD somehow and get an mSATA SSD with a HDD in the 2.5" drive bay.

I want to make love to my X220. What do?

>emacs
>wayland
I'm so sorry

>be me
>order a refurbished X230 for 190 Eurobucks
>description says "non-backlit keyboard"
>gets delivered
>it's actually a backlit keyboard BUT
>BUT it has been professionally painted over to match my country's keyboard layout
>basically have a backlit keyboard but without the transparent letters for the light to shine through
>have to use ThinkLight

I'm not even mad though. I like the ThinkLight more anyways. From what I've seen the backlit keyboards are shiny and get sticky after prolonged use.

>but x230t's screen has burn-in problem
Most monitors will have a "burn-in problem" if you have them displaying the exact same thing for a very long time at high brightness, particularly if it's a big contrast right next to another thing. Usually not permanent, though.

T430 with i7 3rd gen vPRO 3520M 2.9 ghz8gb ddr3 ram1TB SSHDIntel HD4000 14 INCH
or
T430 i5 vPRO 3rd gen 8GB RAM 256 SSD 1600*900
which one should I get? I guess the first one isn't 1600x900?

>Most monitors will have a "burn-in problem" if you have them displaying the exact same thing for a very long time at high brightness
from my experience the X220 and X230 IPS panels show the first signs of burn after a mere 10 minutes of displaying the same image
>not permanent
True. On CRTs screen burn was permanent but LCDs are somewhat immune to that

does sway support gaps?

>I guess the first one isn't 1600x900?
Could be. Could also not be since there's no mention of resolution. I'd factor in the cost of a replacement display if I were to buy that first one.

The first one, unless money is an issue.

the x230 is slower and uses less battery

>Wayland
well Ubuntu is trying to establish that as the new standard. any intel on whether or not X is gonna be included in future releases? I'd like to stick with i3 but upgrade to the next LTS release in 2018

/tgp/, I am in need of advice.
My x230 isn't satisfying me anymore in regards of games. I do not have any high end needs but Overwatch is barely playable on all low.
I've tries few games on company W520 and it was ok experience. But W series is huge and I would prefer something compact and high powered. Where I live I can buy W530 at around 500-800 Euros, depending on particular configuration but I am totally lost what to choose that isn't a aircraft carrier.

thanks.

Keep that X230 and get some used 2 year old gaymen laptop. GTX980m or GTX970m

Does anyone with a thinkpad x201 running gentoo can share his kernel config file?
I keep failing to get wireless working.

ATTENTION: daily reminder to all posters:
if you encounter someone calling himself "xsauc" or "james" immediately disregard and hide his posts. "James" aka "xsauc" is a mentally ill transgender pedophile who is very unpredictable and dangerous.

Thank you for your cooperation,
~GNU/Police

Those are well over my budget, sadly.

I don't know anything about Thinkpads, and the used TP guide doesn't list this model so I have to ask here:
>Lenovo Thinkpad X131E
>Sandy Bridge, either Celeron 867 (2x1.3GHz) or Core i3-2367M (2x1.4GHz), no idea which one this is, might even be the AMD model
>4GB DDR3
>320GB HDD
>1366x768
>plays 1080p Youtube without hiccups
>$150, very lightly used
Should I? Or is this trash for the money? I need something so I can constantly be jacked into the Information Superhighway and shitpost wherever I go.

Note that I'm a Yuropoor where used computers cost a bit more than in the US for whatever reason.

>used

Would an X200 tablet be a good alternative to something like a surface pro if I'm looking for something to take notes on for grad school classes and probably also do some programming? I'm mainly worried about the latency of the stylus making the writing experience garbage

It's basically a netbook. If you're fine with netbooks, go for it. I just got to inform you that for the same price you could get an infinitely better X220 or X230 with a 12" screen and a proper 2.5GHz i5.

Proper Thinkpads are T series, W series (later renamed to P), and X2xx series.

>latency
ThinkPad tablets are pretty good in that regard. The screen is crap compared to the surface though. On the other hand, used ThinkPads are a lot cheaper than a surface.

Well it's certainly among the smalles and lightest Thinkpads. The build quality is not on par with the regular T or X series but the price seems to be at least semi OK for Europe. If you get this keep in mind that it doesn't feature the real Thinkpad keyboard. The real one is better.

I used one of these in school a few years back. It's OK for shitposting but do yourself a favor and at least buy the i3 version. Celeron is trash.

X230 tablet with i7-3520M for 400 dollars, is it a good deal?
I am polishpoor, so I would presume my perspective is similar to yours.
Short answer is no. Get X/T/W Thinkpad, X220 works for me as a everyday workhorse with only it's HD3000 GPU being a bottleneck, as it is useless for gaming . X230 is better but it is hard to find one for 150 dollars in, heh, central europe.
As this user said, it is a netbook. It is a nice netbook but you can't really do much with one. A 'proper', as defined by guides in top post, can be upgraded with RAM, proper SSD and be a very good computer for any given value. Also, external docks. And bateries are cheap.

I've only tried x201 with wacom digitizer and can say that for writing it is a very fine device. For drawing, sketching, latency can get noticable.
youtube.com/watch?v=urzu3yfwahA

How do you guys get the function keys working in linux? I can start a web browser, load web search, and adjust keyboard backlight & screen brightness, but none of the other keys react.
Running Tumbleweed on a T540p.

Nah I was originally looking for a netbook since I don't want to haul some heavy-ass piece of shit around. And X220 will be over budget here.

>do yourself a favor and at least buy the i3 version. Celeron is trash.
Do you think the mobo of a Celeron example can take the i3 or will it be a huge bottleneck?

IMHO, it doesn't get better than the x220. Especially if you have the normal 3 cell battery, you will be surprised how slimline and portable it is (it's barley larger than a netbook even though it's got a great keyboard). The only downsides compared to older models from my point of view is the webcam and trackpad, neither of which I want. But you can put 16gb of ram in it if you want, and an SSD.

meh. worse build quality, worse performance, worse keyboard and disappointing I/O compared to T/W/X series.
and it's not even cheaper. even in europe you can get aproper X series for that price. best would be

X200 (1280x800)
X220 (1366x768)

both would perform better

>webcam and trackpad
X230 owner here
Mine luckily doesn't have a webcam but I agree, the touchpad is crap and I don't use it. The Trackpoint is superior. I'm gonna upgrade to a classic keyboard soon.

>X200/X201
>actually available without trackpad
these things are literally a dream come true.

X200 > X201 though because it can be liberated.

Well I just looked around on Ebay for the x220 in Europe and for about the same price as this netbook they're all fucking trashed, while the x131e I actually physically saw is only very lightly used. Also I'm Hungarian so I need my QWERTZ and retarded áccénts.